2023-24 Ohio State Basketball

OSU has 5 reg. season games left starting at Minny (don't have a letdown) none against a ranked top 25 team. Possible for a 4-1 finish but 1st take care of Minny.

Couldn't watch due to family stuff, but glad to see that W for the players' sake. They needed that.

After thinking about it….go give Brad Stevens, Dan Hurley, and Billy Donovan all blank checks and total control of the program. Whoever says yes first is the new coach.

This is Ohio State, if they aren’t going for the best of the best then what are we doing here?

After thinking about it….go give Brad Stevens, Dan Hurley, and Billy Donovan all blank checks and total control of the program. Whoever says yes first is the new coach.

This is Ohio State, if they aren’t going for the best of the best then what are we doing here?
I'm sure they'll open the phonebook and the checkbook. But remember that these dudes have egos. And the Head Basketball Coach at OSU, while a powerful post, will always play second fiddle to football.

I'm sure they'll open the phonebook and the checkbook. But remember that these dudes have egos. And the Head Basketball Coach at OSU, while a powerful post, will always play second fiddle to football.
Who cares if they play second fiddle to football? They can still be a powerful well respected program

Who cares if they play second fiddle to football? They can still be a powerful well respected program
That’s the point. Some of these high ego coaches might not want to be the undercard. Look at Mark Stoops losing his shiz at the suggestion he’s second fiddle to UK Basketball and Calipari. Lol.

That’s the point. Some of these high ego coaches might not want to be the undercard. Look at Mark Stoops losing his shiz at the suggestion he’s second fiddle to UK Basketball and Calipari. Lol.
Ohio State basketball though is much bigger than Kentucky football.

I agree. At least make the calls. Jay Wright too, while we are at it. In a dream scenario, he is my top pick, but I realize that is a below 1% chance.

Neither Stevens nor Hurley are coming to OSU no matter how much money is offered (let me post very highly unlikely), Donovan maybe.

Last edited:
I don't see anyone going anywhere until they see who the new HC is going to be.
Less Diebler is named HC (very unlikely) half of the team will leave regardless of who the coach is. The current players esp. Thorton came to OSU to play for Holtmann and Diebler (apparently a very good recruiter) and a new HC is going to want to put his own players in place (Spring Portal).

Reportedly, since the rumors started around Holtmann really getting canned, Thornton’s Mom had already been taking calls from other coaches/teams to get a lay of the land for Bruce - since he could not at the time. This is per Aaron Craft, who is still close to the program.

If they want to salvage any current players, or the recruiting class, the new coach may want to keep Diebler on staff if he doesn’t get a new gig of his own. It’s key to remember, not only are these players auditioning for a portal bag, but the coaching staff is trying to perform for new jobs of their own.

On Eleven Warriors bball forum supposedly the big money donors have a list of 3 coaches they want, again this is pure speculation: Dusty May, Diebler, Jent. I hope not Jent, Woodson (IU), Howard (TTUN) have not worked out at all coming back to their former teams after being NBA asst.

On Eleven Warriors bball forum supposedly the big money donors have a list of 3 coaches they want, again this is pure speculation: Dusty May, Diebler, Jent. I hope not Jent, Woodson (IU), Howard (TTUN) have not worked out at all coming back to their former teams after being NBA asst.
Pat Kelsey is in my 2nd tier list and would be solid I think but he hasn’t proven anything at a big time level and would still be risky. Dusty May would be better. The rest would be god awful hires.

Pat Kelsey is in my 2nd tier list and would be solid I think but he hasn’t proven anything at a big time level and would still be risky. Dusty May would be better. The rest would be god awful hires.
I actually like Kelsey better than May. May had a magical run last year, but before that, I'd never heard of him. Kelsey has a lot more head coaching experience and has had success and Winthrop and Charleston.

For the record - neither guy gets this program to where we all want it to go imo....

The track record on NBA assistants that become college head coaches is awful.

Go write a blank check and take a shot at any number of proven big names. Maybe one of them hits. If not, roll with someone on that second tier (Kelsey, Paris, etc.).

Any chance Chris Collins would jump from Northwestern for a chance at a bigger spotlight and bigger paycheck?

Rick Pitino and Kelvin Sampson are at the top of my "pipe dream" list if writing a blank check.

I'd rather have Lamont Paris than the Xavier guys at this point. The strongest appeal to any of them to me, particularly Sean Miller, is the possibility of building an A++ staff with some of the other Xavier guys. With big money to burn, somebody like Sean Miller probably can grab Chris Mack and/or Archie Miller when filling the staff.
Pitino doesn’t look very happy at St John,he may have lost his touch.$$$$$$$

Disastrous start...looked like they were going to get run out of the gym the first 5-6 minutes of the game. They did a tremendous job clawing back to tie it before Minnesota went on a run at the end of the half.

Minnesota has an enormous advantage in the paint against them.