2022 Freedom Bowl at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium, August 26-27

Chardon/Camden game was originally scheduled to be played at Chardon. HOF called a couple of months ago and asked if Hilltoppers would be interested in playing in this event. Chardon loses a home game and the gate and the concessions that go along with it. Still, great experience for both the Chardon and Camden kids. Kids are excited about it - that's really all that matters. It will be something the kids remember. Hopefully, it will be a good game - although not too good. Camden one of the top basketball teams in the country. 5-5 in football last year but a new coach who was on Rutgers staff last year and who graduated from Camden is looking to build the program. I know one thing from watching some of their online highlights - they will bring playaaaas. Here's a quote from an article about the new coach's hiring. "Hinson was one of South Jersey’s most successful coaches, posting a 114-43 record in 14 seasons at Timber Creek. His teams won four sectional titles, reached seven title games, captured seven conference championships and qualified for the playoffs 12 times." Chardon has to replace 8-9 starters on offense and has a small senior class - but big sophomore and junior classes. Will be young on offense but 6 returners on what was the best d3 defense in the state should keep them in games early on. Looking forward to this event no matter how many people show up. This I know, Chardon fans will be there.
This game was already happening independently of this event? That's interesting.

I'd guess Chardon (and everyone else) has some kind of financial guarantee to play this event. Should help the sting of losing home game revenue to some degree.

Thanks Snowmelt Man for taking the time to inform the folks on this thread about a team that most on here are probably not familiar with. Good to here that the players are looking forward to their game. One concern though that I have has to do with the payout to the involved teams. Years ago when there was a similar event, Herbstreit Classic, the promised payout amount to the teams involved was never received. I got this from a source that was in a position to know of this. I'm not insinuating that this Will happen but there are factors(attendance figures, overhead costs, etc.) that COULD come into play with the promised payout and what the organizers are able to actually payout.

I think people will show up on Saturday. College football not at "full swing." Weather should be very warm. I will definitely be there for the 3 Saturday games. I "just" wonder how much tickets will be? A definite factor for those who might consider going.

This game was already happening independently of this event? That's interesting.

I'd guess Chardon (and everyone else) has some kind of financial guarantee to play this event. Should help the sting of losing home game revenue to some degree.
If it's like the rest of the previous ESPN games through Paragon, the "fee" will be enough to cover transportation and possible hotel for the trip and not much else. It's what Bishop Sycamore pocketed and then left their bus company unpaid from.

ESPN gets by by being "a great experience for the kids", prestige, etc. If they had to shell out a lot to fill the airtime they would just reair their talking head shows for 3 hours.

And as had been pointed out before, ESPN only cares about college recruits in the game because that's their target audience. College fans. The game itself is superfluous.

In the end, this is still a good thing for Canton because it gives at least a couple days of things for their stadium to be used. It's a negative as well because the local team who plays there or the private school in town couldn't have been included in the lineup. Even as filler.

I've pretty much written them off without Perry as well BUT since they are coming to Canton I might go. They do still have Neal Schon.
Even WITH Perry....Steve Perry put out a new...."album"....2 or 3 years ago, it's called "Traces", and I was pretty excited to hear it because I've always really liked Journey. I was very disappointed, Steve's voice is absolutely shot after all those years of pushing it to the limit. Still love the old Journey and if Perry was with them I'd probably go just because it's him/them, but my expectations would be very low.

Update:

8/26 Christian Brothers (MO) vs. Milton (GA)
8/26 St. Edward vs. Pittsburgh Central Catholic (PA)
8/27 Massillon Perry vs. Clarkson North (Canada)
8/27 Chardon vs. Camden (NJ)
8/27 St. Frances Academy (MD) vs. East St. Louis (IL)
I really love the concept of having 5 games at Tom Benson to start the season. But... I have to admit, the games that have been chosen are not super appealing. And that is a shame. This could have been a true smorgasborg of Ohio HS football that potentially, with the right matchups, could have drawn a ton of people and interest.
First game- 2 teams from out of state - don't know anything about either and it will not draw many people. I will need to research them both.
Second game- Ed's vs. PCC. I see Ed's rolling PCC. But at least this game I can understand as a possible game for this event.
Third game- No interest in watching the team from Canada.
Fourth game- I like watching Chardon, but know nothing about the NJ team without researching them as well. But again, I would much rather see Chardon vs a good Ohio team. Would be a much better crowd from both sides. AKA: Chardon vs. Kirtland or any number of options.
Fifth game- 2 out of state teams again- very little interest.

Like I said, I love the idea of this event, I'm just not excited about the matchups. Kind of a shame. Just 1 mans humble opinion.

I really love the concept of having 5 games at Tom Benson to start the season. But... I have to admit, the games that have been chosen are not super appealing. And that is a shame. This could have been a true smorgasborg of Ohio HS football that potentially, with the right matchups, could have drawn a ton of people and interest.
First game- 2 teams from out of state - don't know anything about either and it will not draw many people. I will need to research them both.
Second game- Ed's vs. PCC. I see Ed's rolling PCC. But at least this game I can understand as a possible game for this event.
Third game- No interest in watching the team from Canada.
Fourth game- I like watching Chardon, but know nothing about the NJ team without researching them as well. But again, I would much rather see Chardon vs a good Ohio team. Would be a much better crowd from both sides. AKA: Chardon vs. Kirtland or any number of options.
Fifth game- 2 out of state teams again- very little interest.

Like I said, I love the idea of this event, I'm just not excited about the matchups. Kind of a shame. Just 1 mans humble opinion.
Careful, you'll be labeled ""jealous"" and a ""hater.""

I agree with you though. An event that actually could have been very intriguing, turned out to be....kinda. blah. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this event tagged as "Ohio vs the USA?" Should be 5 Ohio teams and 5 teams from throughout the nation....right? Well, 6 teams representing...."the Nation," One team representing Canada....and only 3 Ohio teams. And two of those three are really kind of a head scratcher.

Let's get back to talking about this event. What matchups are you most excited about and will you be attending any games?
[/QUOTE]
I agree with you that St Edward vs Pittsburgh Central Catholic will be the signature game.

⬇️

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know if any other Ohio teams were contacted and declined or if these were their first choices? Because, no disrespect, but outside of St. Ed....let's just say they could have done better.

If this event were at Massillon, you would see a much different response rate. Sounds like sour grapes to me.
Still waiting for a response to post 103. Based on the post I've quoted above, you have a very different opinion of this event, so I'll ask again, sans the St. Ed/PCC game, which game would you take the time to go to?

If you don't know of any, why would you say "they could have done better"
Here....I'll explain it to you. Before I said, "they could have done better," I asked if theses Ohio teams were their first choice....still with me? Implying that (in my opinion) IF....they were first choices....they could have done better. Does that help?

Now, since I answered your question, how bout filling us in on this lucrative TV deal you seem to have some inside information on.

Still waiting for a response to post 103. Based on the post I've quoted above, you have a very different opinion of this event, so I'll ask again, sans the St. Ed/PCC game, which game would you take the time to go to?
I haven’t went to a game since high school. Have better things to do on Friday / Saturday nights.

Interesting that the mods deleted a couple posts from this thread. One was informing JLP of the résumé of the Chardon team he finds uninteresting. The other stating that the Perry team he finds uninteresting has had the same type of success in the state final as his team.
Chardon's a very worthy selection. They are the 2 time defending D3 state champions with a very impressive 28 game winning streak.
They also get it done in championship games, going 3-1 in the finals.

Interesting that the mods deleted a couple posts from this thread. One was informing JLP of the résumé of the Chardon team he finds uninteresting. The other stating that the Perry team he finds uninteresting has had the same type of success in the state final as his team.
Imagine that!

Love the Chardon program! Outside perspective, but it reminds me a lot of a Massillon or Steubenville program. Proud fanbase, tough football.

Chardon/Camden game was originally scheduled to be played at Chardon. HOF called a couple of months ago and asked if Hilltoppers would be interested in playing in this event. Chardon loses a home game and the gate and the concessions that go along with it. Still, great experience for both the Chardon and Camden kids. Kids are excited about it - that's really all that matters. It will be something the kids remember. Hopefully, it will be a good game - although not too good. Camden one of the top basketball teams in the country. 5-5 in football last year but a new coach who was on Rutgers staff last year and who graduated from Camden is looking to build the program. I know one thing from watching some of their online highlights - they will bring playaaaas. Here's a quote from an article about the new coach's hiring. "Hinson was one of South Jersey’s most successful coaches, posting a 114-43 record in 14 seasons at Timber Creek. His teams won four sectional titles, reached seven title games, captured seven conference championships and qualified for the playoffs 12 times." Chardon has to replace 8-9 starters on offense and has a small senior class - but big sophomore and junior classes. Will be young on offense but 6 returners on what was the best d3 defense in the state should keep them in games early on. Looking forward to this event no matter how many people show up. This I know, Chardon fans will be there.
I just noticed this post. Since then there's been a post that appears to disrespect Chardon. I think that's an opinion that's in the extreme minority on yappi. Unlike some, I think Chardon was a great addition to this series. I'm really impressed with their coach, Mitch Hewitt, who was a star player for the Hilltoppers in the 90s. They've had a great run recently topped by their 2 state championships and 28 game winning streak, which is the longest in the state by more than 10.

It's hard to criticize a series of games that have 2 of the 3 defending OHSAA champions in the largest 3 divisions and 4 of Maxpreps top 100 teams from 2021, including 3 of the top 35. Some will find a way though.

From the Repository - HOF Village is acquiring the Sports Dome:

The SportsDome is closing, but the sports leagues and activities taking place there will remain in Canton.

Hall of Fame Resort & Entertainment — the company building the Hall of Fame Village powered by Johnson Controls — on Thursday announced a partnership with the Jackson Township sports complex.

The SportsDome will relocate to the Center for Performance domed facility being constructed on the nearby Hall of Fame Village campus. The Center for Performance will offer 85,000 square feet of space, including a football practice field and basketball court and is slated to open in July.

Crews work on the foundation at the Hall of Fame Village's Center for Performance in Canton. The domed, indoor sports facility is expected to open in July. The SportsDome features an indoor field available for soccer, football and lacrosse, along with a rubber track, fitness facility and batting cages.

They must not have read on here no one will go there.

Relax young lady, Chardon has had an impressive run. However, I think if you polled yappi posters and asked them if they'd rather have a Chardon or an Ignatius, St. X, or even a Steubenville.... ....

As far as Perry having the "same success" as my team....we're not jumping in Stewie's time machine and traveling back to 2015/16, the game will be played in 2022....and in 2021, Perry gave us no indication that they will improve on that 2-8 record.
Well next year they can have a make believe freedom bowl where they don’t actually play the games. I bet your team gets in ?

Not sure how many Ohio teams were contacted. Schedules are generally set in advance and teams normally don't like to give up their home gate if they have good attendance. I would guess that they had others on their list above Chardon. Chardon did not immediately jump on the offer to play. Not sure how the finances will work out for them. I'm sure there is some amount being paid but I doubt that it would equal Chardon's home gate. The decision to accept the offer was based on what would create a great memory for both the Hilltopper kids and the Camden kids. Camden is ecstatic about the opportunity. They are trying to build a football program similar to their great basketball program. For Chardon, playing at home on a Friday night would most likely be better in every way but the kids wanted to play at the Hall of Fame. Chardon fans will show up - maybe not as many as for the state championship game but they will still show up. I just hope it's not 100 degrees like last year's week 2 game at Buchtel. Are there bigger, better football programs in the state of Ohio? Yeah, but none grittier - for almost four decades now with very little D1 talent. #KeepClimbing

NEO Zone HS Sports came out with their way too early top 25 for northeast Ohio. St Edward was #2 and Chardon was #4. The other 2 teams in the top 4 were #1 Hoban and #3 Avon.