2022 Freedom Bowl at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium, August 26-27

So why isn’t the team that calls Tom Benson home scheduled to play in an event held at their stadium.
That's where they play their home games. I see nothing permanent in the stadium that indicates it's their stadium but I do see indicators for it being the HOF's stadium. Lakewood St. Edward plays their home games at Lakewood's city High School stadium but it's still the public school's stadium, payed for and maintained by the tax payers money for the most part. A really close friend of mine works for a public utility company that serves the Canton area. He's in a position where he's involved with proposed future projects one of which involves a new Mck high being built at the Stark Co. Fair Grounds after the County Fair itself is relocated to somewhere around the St Thomas area near Route 62. I may be jumping ahead here but it seems that a new home stadium for Mck could also be in the works with financial help coming from the HOF. Time will tell if this all comes about, proposed doesn't always equate to actuality.

The argument is moot, since a national championship game for high school is not happening. But, despite your shilling for Benson, the powers to be would not put a hs championship game in your facility, considering the weather and the fact that ( once again, despite your shilling), Canton, Ohio in the winter is not really a destination spot for anyone in the country who doesn't have roots in the area. I commend Massillon for their rabid support ( the best fans around), but chances are that you would have a game between say Westlake, Texas and Mater Dei from California. Yep, they are coming by the planeload to Canton in the winter.
2021 rankings:
  • Mater Dei (Santa Ana, Calif.)
  • Westlake (Austin, Texas)
  • Servite (Anaheim, Calif.)
  • Bergen Catholic (Oradell, N.J.)
  • St. John Bosco (Bellflower, Calif.)
  • North Shore (Houston)
  • 7. ( tie) St. Frances Academy (Baltimore)
  • (tie) Jesuit (Tampa, Fla.)
I really do believe that you are not serious in the position you have taken and that you are merely trolling. If not ( and you are serious), then I do believe that it is not I who would be the fool.

But, this thread is for games supposed to be played in late summer/early fall. Hopefully, it will be able to get some more local teams so that the attendance is very good and that they can enjoy Benson Stadium and the HOF surroundings.
The Massillon / Canton area is one of the premier spots for high school football in the country because of their stadiums, history, the HOF and their experience in hosting games at that level.

How many times have you heard about the "walkup" for major Saturday games (regardless of division)? Have they decided to let the higher rated team host the state finals because of the poor attendance?

That's what happens when you post without a well thought out position! There are a number of states (e.g.: California, Texas, Florida, Pennsylvania, New Jersey) that would draw large crowds for a game rotated there. Schedule the games where everything is already in place, from hosting their state finals!

How many college teams fill stadiums with their local fans and not their "national alumni" across the country for bowl games? The focal point is local support and the attraction of the local site (HOF - is unequalled as a national draw for football fans) for all teams, not just the few you listed.

As the local group promotes games at the national level, it's only a matter of time before either a sanctioned national championship or the top two teams, in say the USA Super 25 are hosted at Benson.

I respect the Canton people affiliated with the HOF and the Visitors and Convention Bureau, that we worked with for years, hosting the state finals. We are also aware that Massillon is the "best" host in recreating a high school environment. Canton has only surpassed them with the assistance, in a major way, by the HOF!

Last edited:
Update:

8/26 Christian Brothers (MO) vs. Milton (GA)
8/26 St. Edward vs. Pittsburgh Central Catholic (PA)
8/27 Massillon Perry vs. Clarkson North (Canada)
8/27 Chardon vs. Camden (NJ)
8/27 St. Frances Academy (MD) vs. East St. Louis (IL)
So let’s reassess this…
2 teams from out of state playing each other
A team an hour away playing an oos
A local team playing a team from Canada
A team more then an hour away playing an oos
2 teams from oos playing each other

Sounds like a packed house to me Friday and Saturday.

Last edited:
The games are terrible....unless you like nationally ranked football teams and highly ranked college prospects.

4 of the 10 teams finished in the top 100 in the Maxpreps final rankings for 2021. St Frances Academy was 4th, followed by St Edward at 25, Milton at 32, and East St Louis at 75.

In addition 12 players are ranked in the 247sports composite rankings for the class of 2023. 8 are in the top 500.
Christian Brothers has 4 players ranked-#445, 462, 741, and 801
East St Louis has 3 players ranked-#126, 341, and 702
St Frances Academy has 3-#238, 495, and 818
St Edward (411) and Milton (475) each have 1 player ranked

The games are terrible....unless you like nationally ranked football teams and highly ranked college prospects.

4 of the 10 teams finished in the top 100 in the Maxpreps final rankings for 2021. St Frances Academy was 4th, followed by St Edward at 25, Milton at 32, and East St Louis at 75.

In addition 12 players are ranked in the 247sports composite rankings for the class of 2023. 8 are in the top 500.
Christian Brothers has 4 players ranked-#445, 462, 741, and 801
East St Louis has 3 players ranked-#126, 341, and 702
St Frances Academy has 3-#238, 495, and 818
St Edward (411) and Milton (475) each have 1 player ranked
As he said….
I guess the attendance at those games will tell us all we need to know.

I like the St. Ed/PCC matchup and I would imagine you would too. Besides THAT game, which of the other 4 would you climb into your car and drive to Canton to see? I guess the attendance at those games will tell us all we need to know.
Do you Negative Nancys know anything about what the TV deal will bring in if there will be one? People in the seats isn't the only thing to be looked at to assess the event.

So....if Perry is playing Clarkson North Canada as part of this event....it's more of a...."Ohio vs the USA....and Canada" event than "Ohio vs USA." Right? This is the only game I'm currently aware of, sorry but a team that went 2-8 last year playing a Canadian team doesn't excite me at all.
I’m sure it’s been asked before but: like your daddy and his daddy before?

Do you Negative Nancys know anything about what the TV deal will bring in if there will be one? People in the seats isn't the only thing to be looked at to assess the event.
You can stream the games from FloSports but you have to buy a subscription at $20 per month. FloSports pays Prep Gridiron Logistics for the games and PGL pays the schools something. At least I think that's how it works.

Last edited:
You ask if we know what the TV deal will bring in...."if there is one." IF....there is one, and it's as lucrative as you suggest, why does the location matter? And how will people watching from home be an economic boost to the community as suggested by others?

You ask if we know what the TV deal will bring in...."if there is one." IF....there is one, and it's as lucrative as you suggest, why does the location matter? And how will people watching from home be an economic boost to the community as suggested by others?
"Lucrative" was not suggested.

My point is that it's obvious you don't understand the entire situation.

No, I don't. But I'm willing to admit it and not act like I do. Remember, it was you and JLP who said -

"I guess the attendance at those games will tell us all we need to know.
Remember it was you that said….

“People in the seats isn't the only thing to be looked at to assess the event.”

So I asked you to assess the event for us. Clearly you must understand the entire situation to make the statement that you did.

Remember it was you that said….

“People in the seats isn't the only thing to be looked at to assess the event.”

So I asked you to assess the event for us. Clearly you must understand the entire situation to make the statement that you did.
Now you're just being ridiculous and arguing for the sake of arguing.

No, one needn't know EVERYTHING about a topic to know a small piece of it.

Quit embarrassing yourself.

So....an extremely empty stadium but a "lucrative" TV deal will equal a successful event?
Why do you even care if its successful or not? You're bashing an event that has nothing to do with you. You say " so far nothing interests you". Who cares what interests you. As someone posted earlier, if Massillon was involved, you'd be pimping this up as the event of the year.

These are your quotes ⬇️

Don’t make statements that you can’t back up if asked a question about. Now that’s embarrassing.
The only question you've asked in this exchange was rhetorical.

"I can only imagine the 25 million dollar tv contract that is about to be signed for this…. Fox or Amazon ??"

Don't accuse me of not answering your questions when the only one you've asked is nonsensical.

Clearly, your disdain prevents you from communicating sensibly. Spare us your blather. Get some help.

"Playing a national championship game, in a fall sport, after their season, in the best stadium in the country makes alot more sense than moving it to an inferior site, ONLY for better weather (e.g.: better location, more interest and of course proximity to the Pro Football HOF)!"

Sorry, but you're delusional. The Stagg Bowl ( DIII National Championship) was played this year at the fabulous Benson Stadium ( it is very nice) and drew a "great crowd," since it had a "better location, more interest, and, of course, proximity to the Pro football HOF." From the Canton Repository:

Only 1,830 fans showed up to see the first Stagg Bowl played at Benson Stadium. Most of those in attendance appeared to be fans from the participating schools.
They get at least 12-15k if Mount Union takes their customary spot in the game.

So let’s reassess this…
2 teams from out of state playing each other
A team an hour away playing an oos
A local team playing a team from Canada
A team more then an hour away playing an oos
2 teams from oos playing each other

Sounds like a packed house to me Friday and Saturday.
Playing any games on Friday against all the local games is dumb. I'd like to see the Ed's-Pitt Cath game but I'm not missing my teams game for it.

Update:

8/26 Christian Brothers (MO) vs. Milton (GA)
8/26 St. Edward vs. Pittsburgh Central Catholic (PA)
8/27 Massillon Perry vs. Clarkson North (Canada)
8/27 Chardon vs. Camden (NJ)
8/27 St. Frances Academy (MD) vs. East St. Louis (IL)
Milton must've enjoyed their time in Canton as I believe they were previously here for the Herbstreit. East St. Louis was also previously in the area to play Massillon.

TV does nothing for the local economy. 90% empty stands is not good for optics on TV. How many of these games are actually national TV worthy?

Interesting why people who claim to have no interest and are afraid to come keep posting non stop.
Equally fun watching people who said no contractors would ever work there again and nothing would be built now posting about events that take place there. Dopes.

Chardon/Camden game was originally scheduled to be played at Chardon. HOF called a couple of months ago and asked if Hilltoppers would be interested in playing in this event. Chardon loses a home game and the gate and the concessions that go along with it. Still, great experience for both the Chardon and Camden kids. Kids are excited about it - that's really all that matters. It will be something the kids remember. Hopefully, it will be a good game - although not too good. Camden one of the top basketball teams in the country. 5-5 in football last year but a new coach who was on Rutgers staff last year and who graduated from Camden is looking to build the program. I know one thing from watching some of their online highlights - they will bring playaaaas. Here's a quote from an article about the new coach's hiring. "Hinson was one of South Jersey’s most successful coaches, posting a 114-43 record in 14 seasons at Timber Creek. His teams won four sectional titles, reached seven title games, captured seven conference championships and qualified for the playoffs 12 times." Chardon has to replace 8-9 starters on offense and has a small senior class - but big sophomore and junior classes. Will be young on offense but 6 returners on what was the best d3 defense in the state should keep them in games early on. Looking forward to this event no matter how many people show up. This I know, Chardon fans will be there.