2021 St. Edward Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
St Eds was so fast on defense. They closed so well on every blitz, every pass breakup, and every tackle. That was a huge difference in this game. Snow’s injury and the offensive line is maybe the difference between the team having 7 versus 21 in this game.

But the biggest issue is that Mentor’s defense looked like the 2012 defense…but without the 2012 Trubisky offense to bail them out. Mentor has played more versatile and more talented offenses from the Eagles. But the Mentor defense and coaching staff made this version of Eds look like world beaters on offense.
I agree with this. Yes it was 14-7 when Snow went out, but Snow doesn't play defense. Our defensive coaching continues to suck.

Snow playing probably makes this a 2 or 3 score loss instead of 40 points. But eds and medina are the top dogs in region 1 by far. Ignatius improving as the year goes on is the main threat to that. Our coaching staff doesn't know about defensive improvement

Last edited:
Ed's is pretty good, what is impressive is I'm not sure they have a "star" but they have a lot of really solid, decently athletic players all over the place. They play solid team football, the run game complements the pass game, the receivers all know their roles and are all dependable. I hope Mentor's qb is ok, I did not see the play that knocked him out. I think the Eagles were up 27-7 at that point. My guess would be if he stayed in the game, they would have scored one or two touchdowns in the second half. It is understandable but when he went out, Mentor's philosophy seemed to be let's just wrap up the game and get out of here.

Not sure I've ever seen the Eagles wear black before, was impressed by the crowd. I'm sure it is a function of not being able to do much of anything the past two years but the crowds for St. Ed's seem to be pretty decent compared to let's say 5 years ago. I know it was Mentor and it is still early in the season but going back to last week I thought I saw a full home side.
The Black uniforms are a Nike Air Jordon Special uniform as part of the school being of the Nike Elite program. First time ever using black. I thought they looked great. But some diehards may disagree. It was better than the all gold uniforms.

Ed's is very good, but not 47-7 good. Mentor was missing 3 starting offensive linemen and their QB was injured early and Mentor played a freshman QB most of the game. I will say Eds is the number one team in the area, but I would like to see what the score would be if Mentor was at full strength...maybe in the playoffs.
When I made my comment I did not know that Mentor's offense had 3 linemen out, and then of course I saw the QB was out late in the second. That explains a lot of what happened, D had all the pressure on it during the game and St. Edward's offense is getting much better.

I’ve never been a fan of black uniforms and would have preferred to see the traditional green and gold.
I love tradition also, but kids see what colleges are doing with various uniforms and they love the opportunity to have a variety of uniforms. They still love the school they represent as much as our alumni love the school. I'm all in favor with our players having a high school experience they will remember.

The black uniforms, much like the Ignatius all white are hideous.

I'm sure the kids love them for both teams so that's all that matters.

Eds and Xavier are the top teams in D1 by far and will meet for the title. No doubt in my mind.

Ed’s had 4 possessions and 4 touchdowns in the first half. Mentors defense wasn’t helping out enough.
That was the best I saw our offense play this year. Mentor's O put a lot of pressure on their defense by not controlling the ball, where St. Eds O had some long drives to wear down the Mentor D. I hope our offense continues to improve I thought Ramos and Enovitch had great games.

Someone mentioned the sophomore Roebuck pancaking Vernon. Can anyone confirm that was Vernon? I didn’t hear the announcers say any names.

I noticed that. Speaking of that series, really dumb of Lombo to loose his control like that and give Mentor 15 yards to set up the eventual score. I definitely thought it was grounding on Snow, but get over it and get the refs ear later about it.
Snow was actually sacked on the play as his knee was down before he threw it out of bounds. So, the refs blew it twice as it probably should have been grounding if they didn't see the knee down.

Someone mentioned the sophomore Roebuck pancaking Vernon. Can anyone confirm that was Vernon? I didn’t hear the announcers say any names.
It was the play Vernon got called for a personal foul when we were inside the five and driving. It was away from the ball. Ramos ran it in for a TD next play I believe.

That was the best I saw our offense play this year. Mentor's O put a lot of pressure on their defense by not controlling the ball, where St. Eds O had some long drives to wear down the Mentor D. I hope our offense continues to improve I thought Ramos and Enovitch had great games.
Ramos being able to side step the pressure, move around in the pocket, and keep his eyes downfield was the big difference than what we've seen from him previously. I really like Jackson Miller in the slot. He's become the favorite target, and still runs like a RB after the catch.

Snow was actually sacked on the play as his knee was down before he threw it out of bounds. So, the refs blew it twice as it probably should have been grounding if they didn't see the knee down.
If you look at the replay he knee was down. If you looked further Lombardo was asking who got the call. Ref said it was him and the ref motioned how he took his headset off . Guess the Referee didn't like getting shown up

Roebuck was very impressive and absolutely manhandled Vernon at points. Looks like an Alex Boone type talent as a sophomore for the Eagles.

The Black uniforms are a Nike Air Jordon Special uniform as part of the school being of the Nike Elite program. First time ever using black. I thought they looked great. But some diehards may disagree. It was better than the all gold uniforms.
I’m a Block E kinda guy and love the heritage. But... Those black uniforms looked awesome! JMO

?
I noticed that. Speaking of that series, really dumb of Lombo to loose his control like that and give Mentor 15 yards to set up the eventual score. I definitely thought it was grounding on Snow, but get over it and get the refs ear later about it.
Watched from home and the replay was clear. He was down by contact before he could've grounded it, so it should've been a sack. Easy for a HS ref to miss that call, I suppose.

No disagreement over what you say of the unsportsmanlike conduct call but that's uncharacteristic of Lombardo so not something to worry over.

Last point not yet raised: lots of lucky bounces for the Eagles last night (self-recovered fumbles, etc.). That helped keep the momentum on the home side.

Didn't expect that result tonight.
Mentor had no answer for St. Ed’s offense and if it were not for the blown call by the referee they might not have scored. From my perspective Mentor was outclassed and I am not sure if the 3 missing lineman would’ve stopped Ed’s from scoring 47. I thought if it were not for running clock Ed’s would’ve score 60-70 points. Just my opinion!!

Mentor had no answer for St. Ed’s offense and if it were not for the blown call by the referee they might not have scored. From my perspective Mentor was outclassed and I am not sure if the 3 missing lineman would’ve stopped Ed’s from scoring 47. I thought if it were not for running clock Ed’s would’ve score 60-70 points. Just my opinion!!
They clarified two starters out on the Mentor thread.

A couple of opinions I have based on being at last nights game.:
1. It's just 1 game. But.... based on that 1 game, and the dominance of that 1 game, it is very apparent that Ed's is on a mission. IMHO this started the day after they lost to Medina last year. I believe that they never saw that loss coming and the sting of that loss put the wheels in motion for this years team and coaches to dedicate every ounce of their being to try and win the region, make the state final game, and win it. And it started last December.
2. Ed's does not have any weaknesses. They are a solid football team. Can they get beat? Yes. If it happens, it will be due to a ton of unfortunate injuries, covid protocols, or more so a case that they beat themselves. They will probably be favored in every game they play. There could be 1-2 exceptions (Elder, St X- if that's who they would play in the state finals if they both get there).
3. 2021 Ramos is 150% better than the 2020 Ramos. What a difference a year makes. He is in full command of that offense, can make all the throws, and is quite an athlete that can pull it down and hurt you with his legs.

Ed’s had 4 possessions and 4 touchdowns in the first half. Mentors defense wasn’t helping out enough.
Roebuck was very impressive and absolutely manhandled Vernon at points. Looks like an Alex Boone type talent as a sophomore for the Eagles.
Roebuck's dad was left tackle on the Ed's 1986 runner up team.

This is Ed’s best squad since the 2014 and 2015 teams easily. With or without starters out, Mentor had no chance. The defense has performed well as expected, but the offense has noticeably improved with Ramos. It’s still early, but so far the only two teams that stand out as elite in D1 are the Eagles and Bombers of St. X. No one else is close right now.

Roebuck's dad was left tackle on the Ed's 1986 runner up team.
Is he the nephew of Matt Roebuck, class of '82 (WR)?

Yes it was Vernon, one of the NEO twitter accounts has it on video even. The Eds OL had Vernon on skates most of the night in all honesty.

Status
Not open for further replies.