2021 St. Edward Football

sehs

Still bums me out that Lakewood and St. Ed's don't play anymore. I get it, it was not a competitive game the last few years of the series and Ed's won I think all but 4 anyway, but I thought it was a good community wide event and it was a game to get excited about early in the season. I know Lakewood pulled the plug because they felt Ed's just got too good but their football program has been pretty terrible anyway. Not playing St. Ed's so you can play Fairview (50/50 game I think) or Rocky River (80/20 edge to River winning that most years) does not really resonate well either.

On a different note about Lakewood, I hope in the next few years they can upgrade their stadium. I thought that was the best place to watch a game in Northeast Ohio from the 90s through the late 2000s. I know they got new turf for last year and that is not a small expense but the scoreboard and stands need a lot of work too.

EagleFan

Fan of Eagle
08/20 A Toledo Central Catholic
08/28 H Washington Wilson (DC)
09/04 H Mentor
09/11 A Cincinnati Elder
09/17 A Massillon Washington
09/25 H Columbus Bishop Sycamore club
10/02 H Cleveland St. Ignatius
10/08 H Rock Creek Christian (MD)
10/16 H Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller
10/22 A Akron Archbishop Hoban

slammer20

Still bums me out that Lakewood and St. Ed's don't play anymore. I get it, it was not a competitive game the last few years of the series and Ed's won I think all but 4 anyway, but I thought it was a good community wide event and it was a game to get excited about early in the season. I know Lakewood pulled the plug because they felt Ed's just got too good but their football program has been pretty terrible anyway. Not playing St. Ed's so you can play Fairview (50/50 game I think) or Rocky River (80/20 edge to River winning that most years) does not really resonate well either.

On a different note about Lakewood, I hope in the next few years they can upgrade their stadium. I thought that was the best place to watch a game in Northeast Ohio from the 90s through the late 2000s. I know they got new turf for last year and that is not a small expense but the scoreboard and stands need a lot of work too.
Growing up in Lakewood, this was a game that I always looked forward to play. The matchup typically was week 1 of every season. Unfortunately the contest never materialized in 1980, and as SEHS noted, became less frequent as the years transpired and the series eventually ended.

Go Eagles!

sehs

Growing up in Lakewood, this was a game that I always looked forward to play. The matchup typically was week 1 of every season. Unfortunately the contest never materialized in 1980, and as SEHS noted, became less frequent as the years transpired and the series eventually ended.

Go Eagles!
I believe it was discontinued after the 2004 season. To give some more perspective, I think the last time Lakewood made the playoffs was 2003, they went 7-3, their only two losses was a blow out to Mentor (the "Class" 50-9 or something), Shaker Heights (34-7, who had a Michigan State recruited receiver on it) and St. Ed's (eventual state runner-up, 34-7). Years prior were big losses to Ed's, 63-0, 43-6 and the last game in the series was 62-0, although that win was later forfeited. The last competitive game in the series was in 2000 when Ed's won a back and forth affair 27-23. Lakewood's last win was in 1995 which was also the second to last time they made the playoffs. (Eventually were blown out by Ignatius 55-12 or something in the regional final). They beat one of Jim McQuade's better teams 15-3. That was typical of a lot of the 90s match ups, low scoring tight games where one play broke the back of the other team (usually in Ed's favor). Lakewood also I think used to scrimmage St. Ignatius every year at Lakewood Stadium in a game-like atmosphere.