2021 St. Edward Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still bums me out that Lakewood and St. Ed's don't play anymore. I get it, it was not a competitive game the last few years of the series and Ed's won I think all but 4 anyway, but I thought it was a good community wide event and it was a game to get excited about early in the season. I know Lakewood pulled the plug because they felt Ed's just got too good but their football program has been pretty terrible anyway. Not playing St. Ed's so you can play Fairview (50/50 game I think) or Rocky River (80/20 edge to River winning that most years) does not really resonate well either.

On a different note about Lakewood, I hope in the next few years they can upgrade their stadium. I thought that was the best place to watch a game in Northeast Ohio from the 90s through the late 2000s. I know they got new turf for last year and that is not a small expense but the scoreboard and stands need a lot of work too.

08/20 A Toledo Central Catholic
08/28 H Washington Wilson (DC)
09/04 H Mentor
09/11 A Cincinnati Elder
09/17 A Massillon Washington
09/25 H Columbus Bishop Sycamore club
10/02 H Cleveland St. Ignatius
10/08 H Rock Creek Christian (MD)
10/16 H Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller
10/22 A Akron Archbishop Hoban

Still bums me out that Lakewood and St. Ed's don't play anymore. I get it, it was not a competitive game the last few years of the series and Ed's won I think all but 4 anyway, but I thought it was a good community wide event and it was a game to get excited about early in the season. I know Lakewood pulled the plug because they felt Ed's just got too good but their football program has been pretty terrible anyway. Not playing St. Ed's so you can play Fairview (50/50 game I think) or Rocky River (80/20 edge to River winning that most years) does not really resonate well either.

On a different note about Lakewood, I hope in the next few years they can upgrade their stadium. I thought that was the best place to watch a game in Northeast Ohio from the 90s through the late 2000s. I know they got new turf for last year and that is not a small expense but the scoreboard and stands need a lot of work too.
Growing up in Lakewood, this was a game that I always looked forward to play. The matchup typically was week 1 of every season. Unfortunately the contest never materialized in 1980, and as SEHS noted, became less frequent as the years transpired and the series eventually ended.

Go Eagles!

Growing up in Lakewood, this was a game that I always looked forward to play. The matchup typically was week 1 of every season. Unfortunately the contest never materialized in 1980, and as SEHS noted, became less frequent as the years transpired and the series eventually ended.

Go Eagles!
I believe it was discontinued after the 2004 season. To give some more perspective, I think the last time Lakewood made the playoffs was 2003, they went 7-3, their only two losses was a blow out to Mentor (the "Class" 50-9 or something), Shaker Heights (34-7, who had a Michigan State recruited receiver on it) and St. Ed's (eventual state runner-up, 34-7). Years prior were big losses to Ed's, 63-0, 43-6 and the last game in the series was 62-0, although that win was later forfeited. The last competitive game in the series was in 2000 when Ed's won a back and forth affair 27-23. Lakewood's last win was in 1995 which was also the second to last time they made the playoffs. (Eventually were blown out by Ignatius 55-12 or something in the regional final). They beat one of Jim McQuade's better teams 15-3. That was typical of a lot of the 90s match ups, low scoring tight games where one play broke the back of the other team (usually in Ed's favor). Lakewood also I think used to scrimmage St. Ignatius every year at Lakewood Stadium in a game-like atmosphere.

Schedule Update
08/20 A Toledo Central Catholic
08/27 H H Rock Creek Christian (MD) replaces Woodson
09/04 H Mentor
09/11 A Cincinnati Elder
09/17 A Massillon Washington
09/25 H Columbus Bishop Sycamore club
10/02 H Cleveland St. Ignatius
10/09 H Football North (New)
10/16 H Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller
10/22 A Akron Archbishop Hoban

Do St Ed and St X (Cincy) avoid each other in regular season? I know St Ed will schedule Moe and Elder. Just curious.

Last edited:
I think they stopped the regular season series because the end of the schedule got very brutal, especially for X, not ideal for a playoff run.

I think two games per year against the GCL South is the limit for Ignatius and Ed's; one at home and one on the road. Two trips to Cincinnati or Cleveland in some years would not be ideal financially. Ignatius played Moeller, Elder, and X in the same year twice, but the Moeller game was in Columbus.

Thanks for the input! I was just curious if there was an issue between the 2 schools, something personal. But the answers given make sense.

Caught the first hour of action from the scrimmage with Pick North today. Varsity was on one end of the field and JV on the other. Both teams rotated offensive and defensive series, running 10-15 plays or so from the 35. Didn't focus too much on the JV end, but will say that group is massive up front and appears to have a number of playmakers. They were consistently finding the endzone from what I could tell.

As for the varsity, the run game looks like it picked up right where it left off from last season. Not a big group up front (at least for our standards). Looks like they are all about 6'2-6'3, 275-285 range from end to end. No tackle bodies (those are on the JV team). But they are a very physical group and had no problem getting underneath the PN d-line and moving them wherever they wanted. Enovitch ran well inside and out, breaking off a handful of runs in excess of 25 yards. Ramos ran well from the QB position, including a long TD run. Looks to have improved his speed a bit.

Unfortunately, the pass game looks like it picked up where it left last year as well. Several errant throws. Missing wide open guys. Ramos threw best from the pocket, feet planted, and in between the hashes. Completed several nice throws to TE's and slot backs up the seams, with a couple for TD's. Outside throws were a big problem. We may need to scrap these sprint-left, throw-on-the-run passes to the sidelines. They went low, high, and everywhere in between, rarely finding the receiver. I hope this changes as Manning and Goodall are both too talented to waste on the outside. But overall, for a first scrimmage, happy with what I saw from the offense. Consistently moved the sticks and scored at least 4-5 times in the hour I was there.

Defensively the Eagles pitched a shutout during the first hour, despite noticeable absences from two of our best players Brown and Bixby. Don't think it's anything serious with Brown and the staff may just being cautious with him. Not seeing Bixby was more concerning seeing as how he sat out all last season. If anyone has details PM me. Aside from getting burned on a couple screen passes, the defense did not give up anything over 10 yards while I was there. LB's were very active in between the tackles, and the secondary was really hitting. Wyatt Gedeon is going to be a very good one at LB next to Brown, and I believe it was Riley that I saw flying around as an in-the-box safety. CJ Harvey was very active on the defensive interior blowing up gaps.

Not sure how the second hour unfolded, but the first hour was a lop-sided affair in favor of the Eagles.

Just saw in Matt Goul's defensive line previews that Trey Bixby is not playing this year. That would explain his complete absence from the scrimmage today. Too bad. Good luck to him at Minnesota.

Michael Kilbane occupied one of the DE spots out there today, and on the other side was, I believe, junior Robb King. King is undersized for a LB, let alone a defensive lineman. I never saw him put his hand in the dirt, and he rushed from a standing position. We've seen this stand-up edge rusher role in the Eagle defense for a few years now. When Brown returns at LB, I wonder if Gedeon slides over to that position. He's in the same mold as Jeff Pietrowski.

EP01,

I was hoping you were going to post about Eds losing some of those huge kids from last year's freshmen team to other sports.

It's the biggest group of kids I've seen on that level. (And the Eagles have had some big kids in the past)

Long time to be away from football heading into the Big Ten.
He's not not playing right now out of a lack of desire to play. Not to put too much of what I know of his private news out on the internet, but he's been dealing with rather serious health related issues obviously for more than a year now. I'm not sure who told Matt that he wasn't playing this year (rather disappointing if it was the coaches, cause they know that isn't what his Drs have said or shared), so that statement Matt posted is not completely true.

I know Trey has seen like 30 Drs between the Cleveland Clinic and the Mayo Clinic all summer long just trying to get back to a healthy place and be allowed to play. He was cleared through much of the spring and late winter, but hit a different hurdle than the one that kept him out last season. He's been able to workout in certain situations more recently again though, just not granted full go with the team yet. Does that mean he won't play this fall? Maybe, nothing is a guarantee right now, but new treatments he's recently starting could also allow him an opportunity at any point this fall too.

Obviously with all that said he knows nothing is guaranteed and may never see the Big Ten. The Big Ten isn't even the current focus. Personal health and well being has to come first.

He's not not playing right now out of a lack of desire to play. Not to put too much of what I know of his private news out on the internet, but he's been dealing with rather serious health related issues obviously for more than a year now. I'm not sure who told Matt that he wasn't playing this year (rather disappointing if it was the coaches, cause they know that isn't what his Drs have said or shared), so that statement Matt posted is not completely true.

I know Trey has seen like 30 Drs between the Cleveland Clinic and the Mayo Clinic all summer long just trying to get back to a healthy place and be allowed to play. He was cleared through much of the spring and late winter, but hit a different hurdle than the one that kept him out last season. He's been able to workout in certain situations more recently again though, just not granted full go with the team yet. Does that mean he won't play this fall? Maybe, nothing is a guarantee right now, but new treatments he's recently starting could also allow him an opportunity at any point this fall too.

Obviously with all that said he knows nothing is guaranteed and may never see the Big Ten. The Big Ten isn't even the current focus. Personal health and well being has to come first.
I hope my comment didn’t come off as me questioning his desire to play. Not the case at all. Everything I’ve head about the kid has always been positive. Just commenting that two years away from football will make for a difficult transition to playing football at that level. The young mans health comes first, and I wish nothing but the best for him whether or not he ever suits up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.