2021 Inaugural Season: Three Rivers Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only read page 1 of this, so maybe it was covered. But Riverside has some absolute "generational" classes in the current 9th and 8th grades in just about all sports. I see them winning this conference in football in 2 seasons, and having about a 4 year window of some deep playoff runs. I bet you could count on one hand how many games those 2 classes have lost in ALL sports (football, basketball, baseball).
For the Pirates sake, I'm excited for you guys. But as a Fort Recovery fan, heed our current cautionary tale. Our current seniors (class of 2021) were touted as one of the most dominant, skilled, and athletic classes to go through the school. Never lost in football or basketball in 7th and 8th grade and many played or started varsity as freshmen. This group was suppose to add another state title or two, and even finally capture the illusive MAC crown in football.
Fast forward to last Friday. The class of 2021 ended their basketball career with a whimper. Double digit loss to arch-rival St. Henry in the sectional finals.
Good luck to the chil'len of DeGraff, hope your kids don't go the path of ours.

For the Pirates sake, I'm excited for you guys. But as a Fort Recovery fan, heed our current cautionary tale. Our current seniors (class of 2021) were touted as one of the most dominant, skilled, and athletic classes to go through the school. Never lost in football or basketball in 7th and 8th grade and many played or started varsity as freshmen. This group was suppose to add another state title or two, and even finally capture the illusive MAC crown in football.
Fast forward to last Friday. The class of 2021 ended their basketball career with a whimper. Double digit loss to arch-rival St. Henry in the sectional finals.
Good luck to the chil'len of DeGraff, hope your kids don't go the path of ours.

I’m not riverside fan or grad, haha. But I totally understand your post. I’ve seen it before to many smaller schools. I too hope riverside doesn’t go down that path.

tough loss for Covington. Cates is the type of guy you want leading your program.

Oulette would be an interesting hire.

i think they will go with Sutherland (unless he’s coming with to Vandalia) or a MAC assistant (if they can poach one)

Sutherland will more than likely go with Cates. Covington will be fine and will have plenty of interest for the job. Cates did a good job, but truly miss Miller more

I’m not riverside fan or grad, haha. But I totally understand your post. I’ve seen it before to many smaller schools. I too hope riverside doesn’t go down that path.
Opps! My bad. If it's all the same, good luck to the Tigers this upcoming season too lol.

I remember that '82 season well. I was a Junior. Beat Versailles for the title.
2006 Milton should have been undefeated. Bellbrook wearing longer cleats stole that.

Last edited:
This might be the time that Covington nabs someone from a fellow CCC school too.
This might be the time.... as if they haven't done that in the past? Both Dave Miller and Ty Cates were at TVS, and both guys had some success against Covington, and then next thing you know they are both coaching there.

Covington better get the hire right. New league, new competition, I would say better competition. They have a good program but the wrong hire could bring it all down.

As BF937 mentioned, in the past Covington has landed good coaches from other small, local schools. Getting Miller and Cates from TVS were both good hires. I don't think we'll see Covington struggle to draw interest. As I said before, the timing is not great though. Heading into a new league with what could be better overall competition week in and week out, may be a difficult task for a new coach.

I'm really interested in Cates going to VB. I just don't see VB as the football program it used to be or with the prestige of Covington. Other than simply being a bigger school, I'm struggling to find the reasoning. I do wish him luck though!

As BF937 mentioned, in the past Covington has landed good coaches from other small, local schools. Getting Miller and Cates from TVS were both good hires. I don't think we'll see Covington struggle to draw interest. As I said before, the timing is not great though. Heading into a new league with what could be better overall competition week in and week out, may be a difficult task for a new coach.

I'm really interested in Cates going to VB. I just don't see VB as the football program it used to be or with the prestige of Covington. Other than simply being a bigger school, I'm struggling to find the reasoning. I do wish him luck though!
it’s a great opportunity to him to prove he can build a winner at a place that hasn’t had much success lately. he mainly carried on what dave miller left at Covington (not taking anything away, he was obviously doing something right). so i see the reasoning. i wish him the best. at the very least, Vandalia Butler should expect a culture change that is much needed.

it’s a great opportunity to him to prove he can build a winner at a place that hasn’t had much success lately. he mainly carried on what dave miller left at Covington (not taking anything away, he was obviously doing something right). so i see the reasoning. i wish him the best. at the very least, Vandalia Butler should expect a culture change that is much needed.

Covington has been blessed with a line of solid coaches. It all started with Kevin Finfrock back in 2003. Finfrock coached until 2006. Then they had 9 great seasons with Dave Miller that built up to Cates.

Covington has been blessed with a line of solid coaches. It all started with Kevin Finfrock back in 2003. Finfrock coached until 2006. Then they had 9 great seasons with Dave Miller that built up to Cates.
To be honest I think Cates will struggle. His entire football career has only been based in the CCC and just knowing him personally he’s a little arrogant so I’m guessing this move is to prove that he can be successful outside of the conference. He took over a winning program and kept the status quo it will be interesting to see if he can take a program that is not very good and make it successful.

To be honest I think Cates will struggle. His entire football career has only been based in the CCC and just knowing him personally he’s a little arrogant so I’m guessing this move is to prove that he can be successful outside of the conference. He took over a winning program and kept the status quo it will be interesting to see if he can take a program that is not very good and make it successful.

To be fair, BF937 had pointed out Cates had success at Twin Valley South as well. Which is a CCC school, but certainly not a perennial winner like Covington was. It'll be a new challenge, hopefully it goes well.

And 2007 we lost to brookville then beat them in the playoffs. We were a way better team.
I agree. That Brookville game upset me. I wanted to see 06-07 as undefeated. Should have been. 12 should have been undefeated as well. Dixie of all teams to lose to. From 02-12 we had quite a run. Waiting for the current kids to start another run. They have the coaching and the tradition.
We were fortunate when I was there. 70-82 Milton was about the best football program in the Dayton area. Northmont was right there with us.
My 4 years in high school we were: 6-4, 9-1,10-0,7-3. 2 league titles (81,82). The classes before me were 5-5, 10-0,10-0,8-2 with three titles in three years.

Last edited:
I agree. That Brookville game upset me. I wanted to see 06-07 as undefeated. Should have been. 12 should have been undefeated as well. Dixie of all teams to lose to. From 02-12 we had quite a run. Waiting for the current kids to start another run. They have the coaching and the tradition.
I am hoping with the new league we will get the numbers back up with participation. See some early success which will get the school excited again.

We were fortunate when I was there. 70-82 Milton was about the best football program in the Dayton area. Northmont was right there with us.
My 4 years in high school we were: 6-4, 9-1,10-0,7-3. 2 league titles (81,82). The classes before me were 5-5, 10-0,10-0,8-2 with three titles in three years.

The class of 79 probably had the best football team Milton had. 10-0, 10-0 Junior and senior year. 8 shout outs their senior year. Really cant beat that. plus they got a new coach their senior year.

They had a tough 6-0 Victory over Miami East in 1978
Miami East was a very good program back then. 1978 Bulldogs had a new coach too that game, Steve Magoteaux. Went 10-0 his first year as head coach. Surrendered 21 points the whole season.
I heard that the 1969 team was a juggernaut. Dave Cripe was the fullback and they beat, Northmont for the SWBL title. Much different day and time though.

Schedules for the 2021 season:
Covington
08/20 A St. Henry
08/27 H Mechanicsburg
09/03 A Fort Loramie
09/10 H Troy Christian
09/17 A Tipp City Bethel
09/24 H Dayton Northridge
10/01 A West Milton Milton-Union
10/08 H Sidney Lehman Catholic
10/15 H De Graff Riverside
10/22 A Casstown Miami East
Casstown Miami East
08/20 H Camden Preble Shawnee
08/26 A Carlisle
09/03 A Springfield Northwestern
09/10 A Dayton Northridge
09/17 H Sidney Lehman Catholic
09/24 A West Milton Milton-Union
10/01 H Troy Christian
10/08 A De Graff Riverside
10/15 A Tipp City Bethel
10/22 H Covington
Sidney Lehman Catholic
08/20 H Lima Perry
08/27 A New Bremen
09/03 H Waynesfield-Goshen
09/10 H West Milton Milton-Union
09/17 A Casstown Miami East
09/24 A Tipp City Bethel
10/01 H De Graff Riverside
10/08 A Covington
10/15 A Troy Christian
10/22 H Dayton Northridge
Tipp City Bethel
08/20 H Waynesville
08/27 A Springfield Kenton Ridge
09/03 A Brookville
09/10 A De Graff Riverside
09/17 H Covington
09/24 H Sidney Lehman Catholic
10/01 A Dayton Northridge
10/08 H West Milton Milton-Union
10/15 H Casstown Miami East
10/22 A Troy Christian
De Graff Riverside
08/20 A Ansonia
08/27 H Springfield Northeastern
09/03 A Lewistown Indian Lake
09/10 H Tipp City Bethel
09/17 H Dayton Northridge
09/24 A Troy Christian
10/01 A Sidney Lehman Catholic
10/08 H Casstown Miami East
10/15 A Covington
10/22 H West Milton Milton-Union
Troy Christian
08/20 A New Madison Tri-Village
08/27 N Unknown Opponent ()
09/03 A Miamisburg Dayton Christian
09/10 A Covington
09/17 H West Milton Milton-Union
09/24 H De Graff Riverside
10/01 A Casstown Miami East
10/08 A Dayton Northridge
10/15 H Sidney Lehman Catholic
10/22 H Tipp City Bethel
West Milton Milton-Union
08/20 H New Paris National Trail
08/27 H Germantown Valley View
09/03 A Oakwood
09/10 A Sidney Lehman Catholic
09/17 A Troy Christian
09/24 H Casstown Miami East
10/01 H Covington
10/08 A Tipp City Bethel
10/15 H Dayton Northridge
10/22 A De Graff Riverside
Dayton Northridge
08/20 H New Lebanon Dixie
08/27 A Oakwood
09/03 H Carlisle
09/10 H Casstown Miami East
09/17 A De Graff Riverside
09/24 A Covington
10/01 H Tipp City Bethel
10/08 H Troy Christian
10/15 A West Milton Milton-Union
10/22 A Sidney Lehman Catholic

Any updates please post.

My way too early predictions for'21

1. Milton-Union (9-1) set up for a great first season in the TRC. Valley View awaits...
2. Covington (6-4) Tough schedule and new coach
3. Riverside (6-4). Pirates should give everyone a really tough game in '21.
3. Tie Troy Christian (7-3) Tough schedule ahead.
4. Miami East tie (5-5) still young. Could surprise
5. Bethel (2-8) room for improvements. Tough schedule.
6. Northridge (3-7) same old Ridge.
7. Lehman (1-9) outmanned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.