2021 Football Updates - DV: Versailles vs Kirtland Updates and Game Discussion

No one is addressing the gorilla in the room. Is the Kirtland head coach on the hot seat. Unlike others I won’t avoid it. I feel he gets another year to try and right the ship. They did have a good run, but most victories were against inferior competition. The last two losses have been head scratchers.
Tripping Losing My Mind GIF by Four Rest Films

What a day, send the team off at 11:00 with a little parade.......drive 4 hrs to game. Watch a quality game with some mistakes from the players throwing the ball. Drive 4 hours home to watch home coming parade. Drink a couple beverages, read up on yappi, give thanks for a wonderful day.
Congrats to hard nose football.

First off CONGRATS to the Tigers - they were the better team last night. The Tigers were able to do what other schools have not been able to do - take Kirtland out of their comfort zone and beat them at their own game. Kirtland picked a bad night to have their worst game - but much of that was caused by what Versaillis was doing. Just like advertised they were big and physical. I was in the front row behind the Kirtland bench and I can tell you first hand many Hornet players were playing hurt. There will be a lot of players staying in bed Sunday.

The Tigers were able to get the lead early and control the clock which is exactly how Kirtland likes to play. The time of possession was horribly lopsided. The QB played a great game and the team was able to play loose and free because they had the lead. The Hornets just could not get the big stops they needed to get the offense the ball. It's such a game of inches sometimes. The Tigers second TD was just over the defender the 4th down attempt by Kirtland was short by a inch in the 3rd, etc. But the bottom line is that you cannot turn the ball over 4 times against a quality team like Versaillis and expect to win. The Hornets looked desperate at times and resorted to trick plays and that is never good. I felt the Hornets should have run #20 the way the Tigers ran their QB - almost every play.

That being said every streak has to come to an end. The MAC showed what it always does - that it's the premier small school conference in Ohio, period. If you have to lose to a team you want that team to be worthy and the Tigers were. Congrats to Kirtland on another great season and I'm sure kids will start Sunday on next year - sore and all.

Versailles ball control included using up the play clock the entire game, keeping the ball away from the Kirtland offense. As per the post above, the gadget plays by Kirtland seemed of desperation. Perhaps due to not used to playing without the lead.

I must say, it was my first time inside the new Tom Benson HOF Stadium. I really liked it. Very nice venue, with chair back seats that are much nicer than sitting on metal bleachers. Good sight lines on the larger side. Personally, I don’t think the venue is too large for the state finals. A bit big, yes, but overall a great facility for the finals.

But the bottom line is that you cannot turn the ball over 4 times against a quality team like Versaillis and expect to win. The Hornets looked desperate at times and resorted to trick plays and that is never good. I felt the Hornets should have run #20 the way the Tigers ran their QB - almost every play.
Yet most of those turnovers were caused by Versailles taking Kirkland out of their game plan and as you stated, "seemed desperate and had to resort to trick plays" which never usually get practiced a lot.

Versailles ball control included using up the play clock the entire game, keeping the ball away from the Kirtland offense. As per the post above, the gadget plays by Kirtland seemed of desperation. Perhaps due to not used to playing without the lead.

I must say, it was my first time inside the new Tom Benson HOF Stadium. I really liked it. Very nice venue, with chair back seats that are much nicer than sitting on metal bleachers. Good sight lines on the larger side. Personally, I don’t think the venue is too large for the state finals. A bit big, yes, but overall a great facility for the finals.
Great facility in my opinion….should be there every year

Yes….was a great year it seems like just yesterday I was at the pick central vs Massillon game in warm weather….so enjoy high school football…oh well life goes on
The best time of year to be in Ohio is High School Football season (amazingly overlapping with Deer Season, our best weather, and the beautiful fall landscape). Fantastic season. 7 worthy champs. Can't wait til next year.

The MAC schools have raised the level so much within their own conference that you must be fundamentally sound or you will be trampled. The quality of coaching is on par with collegiate coaching. Week in and week out you must prepare as if it's the post-season. Versailles was tremendous up front. The poor kids who lined up across from Tyo were forced to submarine in hopes of a stalemate or they were swallowed up. I also admire how the MAC coaches are able to develop quarterbacks and design game plans that emphasize their strengths. Otte from ML is not as great a passer as some of the other QB's over the years but they use his speed in the running game to increase his success in the passing game. If you are vanilla on offense or defense you will be exploited.

Great win by Versailles and hats off to Kirtland on all that they've accomplished. Kirtland remains a great example of the type of program everyone should strive to be like.

On the Monday Night football pre-game show tonight the Versailles WR that made the great TD catch was shown on the "You Got Mossed" segment. It was a great catch and Randy Moss was impressed.
That's totally awesome - way to go soph Michael Osborne (Versailles receiver)!

The catch on the sideline made by a Kirtland receiver in the title game in '19 or '20 was really great also - might have been Sullivan ... I dunno.

On the Monday Night football pre-game show tonight the Versailles WR that made the great TD catch was shown on the "You Got Mossed" segment. It was a great catch and Randy Moss was impressed.
2nd time a Versailles athlete has been on ESPN. Kyle Ahrens was on ESPN's Top Ten with a dunk in the Ohio State bball tourney several years ago.

I thought the kid looked really surprised he caught that...yes we all were, LOL. Very athletic snag, with more to come.

His dad is a Coldwater grad. Father and son, the SR I believe, All MAC teams 30 years apart

Power run teams like Kirtland are great until they actually have to throw the ball when behind, then they’re not so great. Gotta be balanced to be great.