100+ Albums ....

Pentagram - Relentless (1993) ... 72.438

-Doom Metal

5th Pentagram album I have heard. Day of Reckoning album I think is great but no other Pentagram albums have come close to it.

Stormwitch - Tales of Terror (1985) ... 73.935

-Speed/Power Metal

I liked this one better than the other two albums I have heard.

Kiva - An Elegy of Scars and Past Reflections (2024) ... 72.490

-Sludge/Post Metal

I really liked the music in this one but the vocals were not to my liking. Would of liked it much better with mostly clean vocals and less "sludgy".

Voidship - Scales (2023) ... 76.290

-Stoner/Post Grunge/Alternative Rock

Just 5 tracks and liked all of them. Sounded a bit like Queens of a Stone Age meets Soundgarden....

Altar of the Stag - Visceral Offering (2024) ... 71.627

-Sludge/Post Metal

The opening track kept me listening as I really liked it but that was the only track that really stuck out for me. This started out as your typical Sludge but then went to something else "Post" with a slight tad of Black Metal for a minute on a track.... Slowed down to a crawl and then ended back with Sludge. 6 tracks with most of them lengthy ones.....

Going Back to 80's Metal!!!!!!

This year I am going to try and do at least 1 metal/Hard rock/Prog album a week from the 80's so if you have some suggestions let them rip..... I'll be checking out some Metal Massacre compilations as well to maybe get some idea's of who to listen to......

I'll continue to do new releases as well as other albums from backtracking of groups that I have liked in previous listens....

Persefone - Lingua Ignota: Part 1 (2024) ... 70.890

-Progressive Melodic Death Metal

Got into the riffs but vocal style was too aggressive for my liking.

Hallows Eve - Tales of Terror (1985) ... 71.580

-Speed Metal

Must be a popular album title in the 80's.... Another band I never heard of back then. I liked half the tracks, a couple were just OK, and 2 I did not care for. This was the debut album of this band so curiosity will eventually lead me to another album of theirs....

By request.....

Bulldozer - The Day of Wrath (1985) ... 70.935

-Black Metal

First time hearing these guys and within minutes of the first track it reminded me so much of the band "Venom". As I got into it I kept hearing traces of "Motorhead" as well. Basically, this is a combination of those two bands but not nearly as good. I have heard this album listed as Speed Metal as well as Thrash Metal but this is Black Metal. Not sure I can explain the differences of the three genres in words but I just know it when I hear it. First off, the first wave of Black Metal came directly from Thrash and Death Metal. Black Metal is thrash like but has more raspy vocals. Eventually it morphed into its more common form with the blast beat drumming and higher pitched guitar riffs..... Speed Metal is simply Heavy Metal sped up. Vocals are more higher pitched or more "operatic" style. Thrash has lot more "palm muting" and heavy punk influences especially in vocal delivery. I got a bit distracted any how I did really like the 2nd and 3rd track on this one but nothing else.......

One-Eyed Monsters - Ambrosia (2024) ... 75.305

-Stoner Rock

Starts out with a 3 part track which was very promising and will go on my playlist but none of the other tracks can match it. Ended up liking 7 of the 8 songs on this trippy fuzzfest.

Scavenger (MT) - Feral (2024) ... 75.455

-Sludge/Stoner Metal

From Big Sky country this one opened up with a great track "Feral" and I thought we have something here. The 2nd track was pretty strong as well but then it went off in some proggy breaks which I did not care for for the rest of that track. Actually, most of the prog moments on this album to me was a distraction and didn't fit well the only exception was the last track "Bog". Overall though this was a decent album as I liked all but one track. Does prog mix well with Stoner vibes????

Black Oath - Emeth Truth and Death (2022) ... 79.330

-Dark Doom Metal

First time hearing this band and what a surprise it was. How I did not hear this in 2022 I don't know. This was some really good Doom Metal with some great tracks. Liked everything and this album heads to my playlist.

Chastain - Ruler of the Wasteland (1986) ... 70.468

-Heavy Metal

Only liked 4 of the 9 tracks. Seen this band in concert in the 80's. My best friend had the hots for the singer. She actually talked to him and liked a pin he was wearing so he gave it to her. She wore it during the show!!!!! .....

Project 86 - OMNI Pt. 1 (2023) ... 71.587

-Metalcore, Industrial, Djent Metal

Been awhile since I heard anything from these guys. Definitely changed their sound..... not sure how I feel about it. Did like 7 of the 12 tracks.

Hawkwind - Hall of the Mountain Grill (1974) ... 77.646

-Space Rock

Solid album by Hawkwind.... maybe my 2nd favorite of theirs.....

Mr. Bison - Echoes From the Universe (2024) ... 77.470

-Progressive Rock

I liked this one. Album heading to my playlist. You have some spacey Prog with Heavy Psych elements....

Ihsahn - Ihsahn (2024) ... 74.201

-Extreme Progressive Metal/Symphonic Black/Orchestra

There is a lot going on with this one. Strong presence of an Orchestra that gives a soundscape with symphonic Blackened Metal from the lead singer of Emperor. Lot of prog to boot. I liked most of it but it did get overwhelming at times....

Vamp, I have to say your commitment to the music and reviews is quite admirable. I've scrolled through the reports you make and I'm amazed you know of so many of these bands.

Pestilence - Malleus Maleficarum (1988) ... 72.360

-Death Metal

Pestilence was a band I listened to back in the day though not this album. I did play their next album "Consuming Impulse" as well as their great album "Testimony of the Ancients, as well as "Spheres". Like Consuming Impulse this album was with the original singer as was more thrashy death style instead of the technical stuff heard on Testimony....

The Paladin - Cochroach Crusade (2024) ... 77.593

-Heavy Psych Rock

Let me borrow some words to describe this music.....

"Their sound is a concoction of blistering riffs, thunderous drums, and otherworldly atmospheres that resonate with the echoes of forgotten galaxies. Tapestries of heavy distortion interwoven with hypnotic melodies lead listeners into a trance-like state where the boundaries between reality and the surreal blur into a singular dreamscape.

In the realm of heavy psychedelic music, The Paladin draws inspiration from the pioneers of the genre while carving out a distinctive niche of their own."

OK, so this is an album that is going onto my save list as I am sure it will grow on me quickly with repeated listens. I kind of had a hard time figuring out the genre due to the vocal delivery at times that resembles Sludge but this album is mostly "rock" with "metal" elements. Heavy Psych is the roots but it is different than others that I have heard from that genre......

Last edited:
I had to re-rate The Paladin album. When I originally was listening to it I got interrupted a couple of times and then distracted. I felt that I had to give it another listen to keep with the flow of the album. I edited in the new rating for the album which scored much higher.

Job For a Cowboy - Moon Healer (2024) ... 69.530

-Technical Death Metal

Not a fan of this genre though I do like Pestilence. Decided to give it a listen and it really wasn't as bad as I was expecting. When I mean "bad" I don't mean the quality of the band (these guys are near the top in this genre) or anything like that but just if I was going to be able to listen to it and make it to the end...... I actually liked 2 of the 8 tracks so that was something. Everything on this album was listenable for me so I easily made it to the end.....

Toxikull - Under the Southern Light (2024) ... 72.380

-Heavy Metal

This reminded me of the mid to late 80's typical heavy metal band where the best songs were on the first side. Old school Heavy Metal here with a lead singer that I liked. First 3 songs on the album were the ones I liked the best.... from there it takes a step down and side 2 brings some tracks I just did not like at all.

Counting Hours - The Wishing Tomb (2024) ... 72.401

-Melodic Death Doom Metal

I heard that two members of Shape of Despair where in this band so I gave it a listen. Did not care for the Melodic parts ... I dunno, I just don't think Death Doom should be pleasant to the ears..... anyhow I did manage to like 4 of the 9 tracks. The opening instrumental track was the best by far on this one for my liking and that one track may skew the ratings a bit.........

Going back to the 80's.......

Avenger - Blood Sports (1984) ... 72.646

-Heavy Metal

Avenger comes out of the UK and was only around for about 4 years..... 20 years later they reformed and are still active today. This album was the debut and frankly wasn't that bad. I liked 8 of the 9 tracks and saved the album to my playlist despite the lower rating and none of the songs I thought to be great. I just want it hear it again at some other time.....

Domkraft - The End of Electricity (2016) ... 75.127

-Sludge Metal

Domkraft is a band that I like but I have no heard their early stuff. So far not so bad and seems to have a more just Sludge quality then the Psychedelic that is added with the newer stuff.