Recruiting our Middle School players...stay away

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
To any of the local schools that are trying to recruit our middle school players to come to your school...stay away. We work hard to develop our players from 3rd grade on. How about you try to develop your own kids rather than poach ours? I hate what high school ball is becoming!

Saw this posted on a local HS basketball X account. Not sure if it was the head coach or someone else who runs the account. I found it interesting to say the least. Right or wrong, the OHSAA needs to take notice. This is an issue that is dividing Ohio HS sports.

I need to know what the general consensus is of the definition of "recruiting" in high school sports because I swear its not nearly as prevalent as people think.
By my definition, it happens as often as dating occurs among young people. It could be subtle, like "hey, we noticed you are quite the athlete, we have a place for people such as you on our team coached by XYZ, it would be great having you on our team".

Then there is the not so subtle coaches who say to the athlete who shows up at open gym in the summer, "man let me tell you, if you came and played for me, I guarantee you will get a D1 full ride scholarship".

As a parent we encountered many of the two types above, including one coach who literally took our son to a seperate gym to see how his footwork was in the low post and attempt to get him to join his fellow AAU teammate at that school. We spent hours trying to guide him away from such promises and stay the course with where he was, and the friends he had grown up with.

Then there is the "come play for us, and the boosters will find your dad a job". That's as blatant as it gets. That was a recruiting that occured back in 2000 among fellow AAU teammates that I was told of by the recruited parent. In my mind, that is when the most recruiting occurs. You have kids on highly successful summer teams that gel together and spend 10-12 weekends together that would like to play together at the high school level. It is generally the most subtle level, and probably just kids being kids.

By my definition, it happens as often as dating occurs among young people. It could be subtle, like "hey, we noticed you are quite the athlete, we have a place for people such as you on our team coached by XYZ, it would be great having you on our team".

Then there is the not so subtle coaches who say to the athlete who shows up at open gym in the summer, "man let me tell you, if you came and played for me, I guarantee you will get a D1 full ride scholarship".

As a parent we encountered many of the two types above, including one coach who literally took our son to a seperate gym to see how his footwork was in the low post and attempt to get him to join his fellow AAU teammate at that school. We spent hours trying to guide him away from such promises and stay the course with where he was, and the friends he had grown up with.

Then there is the "come play for us, and the boosters will find your dad a job". That's as blatant as it gets. That was a recruiting that occured back in 2000 among fellow AAU teammates that I was told of by the recruited parent. In my mind, that is when the most recruiting occurs. You have kids on highly successful summer teams that gel together and spend 10-12 weekends together that would like to play together at the high school level. It is generally the most subtle level, and probably just kids being kids.
Great answer. I know Im in the minority but the only guy I have a problem with is guaranteed D1 guy that took your son into a separate gym. I do think that most recruiting takes place in the AAU circuit but I think its mostly friends wanting to play with friends more than anything else. You mentioned how you told your son to stay the path with his friends he grew up... well now there is such an emphasis on travel ball THOSE are the friends these kids are growing up with because they 2x, 3x the amount of games they play with their schoolmates

Great answer. I know Im in the minority but the only guy I have a problem with is guaranteed D1 guy that took your son into a separate gym.
You good with the ‘come play for us, and the boosters will find your Dad a job’ crowd?

Great answer. I know Im in the minority but the only guy I have a problem with is guaranteed D1 guy that took your son into a separate gym. I do think that most recruiting takes place in the AAU circuit but I think its mostly friends wanting to play with friends more than anything else. You mentioned how you told your son to stay the path with his friends he grew up... well now there is such an emphasis on travel ball THOSE are the friends these kids are growing up with because they 2x, 3x the amount of games they play with their schoolmates
This is so true. Those with high schoolers know the most effective recruiters are the kids.

I need to know what the general consensus is of the definition of "recruiting" in high school sports because I swear its not nearly as prevalent as people think.
How about a local lawyer standing at our junior high bus at an away tournament game and telling the kid as he walks by that he will pay for him and his brothers tuition at the local private school. The kids school contacted the private school and requested a meeting. They were told if anyone else talks to the player, or family all documented info will be forwarded to the OHSAA. DOES THAT COUNT?

How about a local lawyer standing at our junior high bus at an away tournament game and telling the kid as he walks by that he will pay for him and his brothers tuition at the local private school. The kids school contacted the private school and requested a meeting. They were told if anyone else talks to the player, or family all documented info will be forwarded to the OHSAA. DOES THAT COUNT?
Why are you yelling and exactly how prevalent do we think this is?

Why are you yelling and exactly how prevalent do we think this is?
not yelling, sorry. i think like everything else it depends on the adults in charge. some will win the easiest way possible and at all costs. hope this post balances out my yelling post.

To any of the local schools that are trying to recruit our middle school players to come to your school...stay away. We work hard to develop our players from 3rd grade on. How about you try to develop your own kids rather than poach ours? I hate what high school ball is becoming!

Saw this posted on a local HS basketball X account. Not sure if it was the head coach or someone else who runs the account. I found it interesting to say the least. Right or wrong, the OHSAA needs to take notice. This is an issue that is dividing Ohio HS sports.
I get it and I understand the frustration, but honestly kids want to play with their friends and parents want their kids at a school with a "name" It is the reason the privates like Moeller, Elder, St X here in SWO don't have to actively "recruit" kids to come to their schools. The results tend to speak for themselves and parents without all the information will look and see all the kids playing collegiately and professionally and think this is where my child needs to be.

I get it and I understand the frustration, but honestly kids want to play with their friends and parents want their kids at a school with a "name" It is the reason the privates like Moeller, Elder, St X here in SWO don't have to actively "recruit" kids to come to their schools. The results tend to speak for themselves and parents without all the information will look and see all the kids playing collegiately and professionally and think this is where my child needs to be.
Not exactly, Just off the top of my head and I don't (can't because newspapers are terrible these days) follow all schools like I used to. I know of 3 kids that entered a school that was 0-23 last year as juniors this year. 3 kids that entered a school that their HS programs exceed the one they entered, albiet they are having a great year and are really strong this year. And I know another kid that transferred to a school as a soph, he is now a senior and they are 4-15, but he's averaging about 20 a game.

lol, Moeller recruits ......

My two sons are playing youth basketball and are doing very well. Are they obligated to go the high school in our home town or are they allowed to explore private school education and athletics?
They are, of course, allowed to explore and go wherever they want. However, If coaches are approaching them (or you) at their age, it’s pretty skeezy.

I'm not suggesting that this should happen but it would be interesting to see how HS sports would change if the coaches were randomly assigned new schools every year just before the season began.

They are, of course, allowed to explore and go wherever they want. However, If coaches are approaching them (or you) at their age, it’s pretty skeezy.
Totally agree. Coach or Assistant Coach wants to approach the Parents in public that’s cool but not the kids. I really don’t know that many kids that tell their Parents where their going to HS it’s the other way around where I come from!

Norton and Barberton are pretty close aren’t they? Hazard recruiting better than Holtmann was at Ohio State lol

My two sons are playing youth basketball and are doing very well. Are they obligated to go the high school in our home town or are they allowed to explore private school education and athletics?
Yes they are allowed to explore and go to a stacked school rather than the kids they were playing youth with. My district school has the kids and parents sign a contract that reads they are planning on their kids attending said HS there. If the youth program is going to put their time and effort into them I think thats rightfully so. Although some sign it and have no intention on their son or daughter going there.

Totally agree. Coach or Assistant Coach wants to approach the Parents in public that’s cool but not the kids. I really don’t know that many kids that tell their Parents where their going to HS it’s the other way around where I come from!
Except that’s illegal for coaches to approach parents or kids.

Yes they are allowed to explore and go to a stacked school rather than the kids they were playing youth with. My district school has the kids and parents sign a contract that reads they are planning on their kids attending said HS there. If the youth program is going to put their time and effort into them I think thats rightfully so. Although some sign it and have no intention on their son or daughter going there.
Thats probably the funniest thing I've ever heard. Like giving your HS girlfriend a promise ring it means nothing.

How about his scenario..... public school gets a new coach and starts "recruiting/reaching out" to student-athletes that live in this district that went to private schools. He is able to flip a couple of kids back to his school/their home district.

The private schools are getting their kids poached by the public schools and crying about it.

Is this legal? I guess the kids/parents can decide where they want to play. If the kid transfers back to his home school where his address lies, does he have to sit out?

Thats probably the funniest thing I've ever heard. Like giving your HS girlfriend a promise ring it means nothing.
Of course it means nothing but maybe moral character. Can't see whats so funny though. If you get a job and sign a non compete form, same type thing. Why should this company put in the time and effort to train you for you to take that somewhere else? Never mind, you won't agree, its yappi.