Glenville

I’m not sure I get the arguments on here, Glenville has been a legitimate D IV last couple years….. 2021 they did play OCC games against Avon, CHARDON ,and Ursuline in playoffs, lost all three of those games. Sure they are better this year as they were a young team last year, pretty much same players……..?
No they had multiple players move in from surrounding areas. Predominantly Euclid this season

Yep, those private school families just love what the Glenville area has to offer so they moved right in.
Nah these kids played at Euclid high. Reese, Rucker, etc.etc. and I honestly don't blame them for leaving Euclid to Glenville. Ginn does a great job getting kids recruited

Hate Glenville all you want. It doesn't matter. The only thing on coach Ginn and those kids' minds is Wyoming this Saturday. That's what they're focused on.

-They don't fudge their enrollment. The Ginn Academy is a separate school that doesn't offer any sports. It is NOT apart of Glenville High. Ginn Academy students can only play for Glenville if they live in the Glenville zone.

-They don't recruit or "steal" kids from other communities. CMSD is open-enrollment, both intra-district amd inter-district. Any kid anywhere is Ohio is free to attend Glenville or any CMSD school. Alot of good football players want to play at Glenville. Is Ginn supposed to apologize for that? Should Lombardo apologize for kids wanting to attend St. Edward? Should Tyrell apologize for kids wanting to attend Hoban? Should Dru Joyce apologize for good hoops players wanting to attend St. V?

-I would love to see Glenville mix it up with Iggy and Eds again. And Mentor as well. Pickerington North? Yes. Springfield? Sure. GCL schools? I'd like to see that too. Massillon? Great. But tell me: do you demand other smaller schools do the same? Shouldn't schools like Ursuline, Steubenville, Benedictine, Alter, Kirtland, and Marion Local play those big schools too (NOTE: I know some of those smaller schools I mentioned have played and do play bigger schools. I'm just making a point)? Why single Glenville out, unless you're doing the "they're not a REAL D4 school" crap.

Go Glenville. I hope they can pull out a win Saturday. Wyoming is no pushover, obviously. They wanna win as well. We'll see who comes out on top

Hate Glenville all you want. It doesn't matter. The only thing on coach Ginn and those kids' minds is Wyoming this Saturday. That's what they're focused on.

-They don't fudge their enrollment. The Ginn Academy is a separate school that doesn't offer any sports. It is NOT apart of Glenville High. Ginn Academy students can only play for Glenville if they live in the Glenville zone.

-They don't recruit or "steal" kids from other communities. CMSD is open-enrollment, both intra-district amd inter-district. Any kid anywhere is Ohio is free to attend Glenville or any CMSD school. Alot of good football players want to play at Glenville. Is Ginn supposed to apologize for that? Should Lombardo apologize for kids wanting to attend St. Edward? Should Tyrell apologize for kids wanting to attend Hoban? Should Dru Joyce apologize for good hoops players wanting to attend St. V?

-I would love to see Glenville mix it up with Iggy and Eds again. And Mentor as well. Pickerington North? Yes. Springfield? Sure. GCL schools? I'd like to see that too. Massillon? Great. But tell me: do you demand other smaller schools do the same? Shouldn't schools like Ursuline, Steubenville, Benedictine, Alter, Kirtland, and Marion Local play those big schools too (NOTE: I know some of those smaller schools I mentioned have played and do play bigger schools. I'm just making a point)? Why single Glenville out, unless you're doing the "they're not a REAL D4 school" crap.

Go Glenville. I hope they can pull out a win Saturday. Wyoming is no pushover, obviously. They wanna win as well. We'll see who comes out on top
You said it yourself. So if Glenville’s enrollment is D4 BUT over half of their players go to Ginn Academy, and don’t count towards enrollment or CB is that fair? I’ve asked for a count of rostered players that actually attend Glenville but not Ginnvile but haven’t seen one yet.

So if a Soccaccia academy opened in Steubenville and a majority of players went there that would be ok? Would put us in D5 ant a minimum.

Next year Glenville has two national games including IMG, they have Avon, Olentangy, and Hoban!!!! Not playing two league games!!
Stupid to schedule IMG. It's not even a real HS. Glenville is going to get waxed.

The other games are nice additions.

So if a Soccaccia academy opened in Steubenville and a majority of players went there that would be ok? Would put us in D5 ant a minimum.

According to current rules, yes that's ok.

Again, hate the system, not the player. Should the Ginn players have a CB # attached? Probably. Do they? No. Glenville is doing nothing wrong, the problem is with the OHSAA. And tbh, if they fix it, I doubt Glenville is scared of suddenly being D1 or D2 again.

Edit: actually I'd like to see that. Let Steubenville be D6...
Kirtland and ML would love to teach you guys a new meaning to Roll Red, cause that's what they'd do.

Glenville has nothing to explain to anyone. They are inside the rules. If the beef is with anyone it should be the ohsaa. Hope Glenville and Ginn Sr. gets their 1st title Saturday.
Do I think Glenville found a loophole in being a DIV school, probably. However, that is not my call so I will put aside my judgement and look forward to a good, quality game.

Now, having gone through the Ginn Academy website and looked at what they have to offer, WOW. I may be naive but I doubt anyone on line can disagree with what Coach Ginn has made and my hat is off to him for standing up and giving the kids in his community a chance at a better life. From what I have been able to determine, he is about the kids being respectible, humble, educated, well rounded and productive members of society. Who can argue with that? There has to be so many pieces put into place to make an institution like this and honestly, maybe, Ginn Academy, should be the baseline for failing public schools throughout the state. The question should be, is Glennville HS failing and why?

Good luck to both teams...

No they had multiple players move in from surrounding areas. Predominantly Euclid this season
To be honest about it so did VASJ but it’s not like they dominated their region 9 D III….. we played that young Glenville team last year and they were very tough kids. I can see why they are so good this year, even if they added 2-3 kids the majority of that team were home grown….. most open enrollment public schools can potentially add same number of kids at any time……

Unless and until the OHSAA allows schools to play up (I think they should, btw), they'll be D4 because that's what their enrollment says they are
Agree fully with you here. I have no idea why OHSAA doesn't allow teams to opt to a higher division. Anyone have knowledge on why they don't let teams do this?

Do I think Glenville found a loophole in being a DIV school, probably. However, that is not my call so I will put aside my judgement and look forward to a good, quality game.

Now, having gone through the Ginn Academy website and looked at what they have to offer, WOW. I may be naive but I doubt anyone on line can disagree with what Coach Ginn has made and my hat is off to him for standing up and giving the kids in his community a chance at a better life. From what I have been able to determine, he is about the kids being respectible, humble, educated, well rounded and productive members of society. Who can argue with that? There has to be so many pieces put into place to make an institution like this and honestly, maybe, Ginn Academy, should be the baseline for failing public schools throughout the state. The question should be, is Glennville HS failing and why?

Good luck to both teams...
Agree 100%. I HIGHLY doubt that Coach Ginn decided to go to all the trouble of opening and operating Ginn Academy in order to exploit a loophole in the OSHAA division assignment rules. I have NO DOUBT that his heart is in the right place in attempting to give these kids more than what they could get from the CMSD, no different than some of the parochial or other private schools whose students live in the district.

I'm rooting 100% for Glenville,

Stupid to schedule IMG. It's not even a real HS. Glenville is going to get waxed.

You attack them because they're not playing Iggy, Eds or Mentor, but attack them because they're gonna play IMG? You anti-Glenville people just amuse me

In order to be the best you have to line up with the best….. lofty goals to take the field with the number 1 team in the country but give them some credit……. You gotta ask yourself why IMG would even schedule the game? That’s RESPECT! I’ll root for the Ohio guys……..!

I agree. I have profound respect for Ginn, Sr. Yet the way he is going about it to get his state title is shady. But I guess he found a loophole. OHSAA has always treated the big urban districts different, i.e. transfer rules.
Nice. You have "profound respect" but also say "he found a loophole." With that kind of double-talk ability, you sure you're not related to Bill Clinton?

As for Glenville, those kids are playing in a state title game Saturday. If you have malice about the system then direct it to the adults who created it, not those kids or their coaches.

If you can't look past that . . . then maybe it's not a football game you're mad about.

Look up how many of those kids came BACK to Glenville after CMSD shut down sports during Covid.
right, 2 years after, I get it. You've mentioned it before. 2020 no sports, went elsewhere, 2021 played at other schools, 2022, came back to glenville

I am not discrediting that they were there before. I was simply stating they had quite few extremely talented players move in this year.

Its much different than some of these schools who get kids from out of state and such. I am also keenly aware that to my knowledge, they are not breaking any rules in terms of CB, simply as I stated before, Ginn Academy is a public charter, kids who attend must play for their home school district if Ginn Academy does not offer sports.

Glenville should handily win the D4 state title and they have some impressive players. Too much firepower for most if not all D4 teams in Ohio.

Last edited:
Have any coaches gone on record for wanting their program to play up, or is it just a fan thing?
I’ve got to think this is just a fan thing….. the OOC games are the chance to play up and there are plenty of teams right here in Ohio to do that with. I think any coach that is blessed with enough athleticism out of 40-60 kids that can make a run for state in Ohio would and should do so in perspective division to be fair to not only their team but the rest of the teams in the Div. Great teams want to say they beat the best IMHO…….!