2022 Massillon Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few things here

Anyone who attended any of the 7/7s see where Ta'Shaun played? (If he played at all) 6'2" 180 is a nice size, hopefully he is in coach Moore's plans.

I see Landen Petaros is on the maxpreps roster but not on the MTBC roster. I know someone earlier said they thought he was going to play this year.

Also on the Maxpreps roster it says Chase Bond is 245 but on the MTBC roster he's listed at 210, anyone know which is more accurate?

I see where Deivieon (sp) Harper decided to play FB this year, at 6'1" I wonder if he could contribute at corner.

With coach Wood having a say in the O, it would be nice if....on occasion....we used a TE. We have several TE type bodies on the roster.
Delveon Newman, not Harper.

Ta’shaun Smith has played Outside linebacker and he’s played very little Wr and some RB from what I know. He will be a factor this year just not sure where exactly yet.
With his build and speed I feel like WR/CB would be a good place. However, it seems like the last few years he's played RB so not sure how well he could just switch positions and be effective. All kids are different...

Maybe he will the one who just comes out of nowhere and blows everybody away. Like a Liebler or Manny. With moores program humming along, seems we see 4/5 kids mature to a high level and become impact players

Maybe he will the one who just comes out of nowhere and blows everybody away. Like a Liebler or Manny. With moores program humming along, seems we see 4/5 kids mature to a high level and become impact players
Yeah we could always use a couple of "Surprises".. This program is pretty healthy to say the least.

Last edited:
All this talk about O, I wonder what type of D we should run? 3 man line, 4, 5? I'm kinda liking the idea of Clark and Bond at DE plus 2-3 interior linemen, similar to 5-2 like Currence ran. Pringle and Fair at LB? Just spit balling, but I think our QB pressure (or QB containment) has been a consistent weakness. Unless we send the house.

All this talk about O, I wonder what type of D we should run? 3 man line, 4, 5? I'm kinda liking the idea of Clark and Bond at DE plus 2-3 interior linemen, similar to 5-2 like Currence ran. Pringle and Fair at LB? Just spit balling, but I think our QB pressure (or QB containment) has been a consistent weakness. Unless we send the house.
There's a video out there of Moore going over the Massillon defense, it was 2 parts, I'll see if I can find it later.. It's called a "Fusion defense" but it's basically 3 DL an "obie" DE/LB type an OL and two ILB then I think a cover 2 in the DB.. So it's part 3-4 part 4-3 if that makes sense...

Yeah thanks I cant keep up frankly. Too old school I guess. I like 5-2 but that was my bygone era - more run than pass. Cant wrap my head around controlling the LOS w/ 3 linemen but I suppose teams can idk.

There's a video out there of Moore going over the Massillon defense, it was 2 parts, I'll see if I can find it later.. It's called a "Fusion defense" but it's basically 3 DL an "obie" DE/LB type an OL and two ILB then I think a cover 2 in the DB.. So it's part 3-4 part 4-3 if that makes sense...
Ha, I found it but the site that runs it now wants a subscription, also it was called "3-4/4-2 fusion.. So the one OLB is considered a safety.. So it depends where the "Obie" lines up.. So this year I would thing it's Bond or Clark, just depends on the other players in the front 7

Years ago some of the private schools started using 3/3 stack. 3DL, 3 LB, 5 DBS. I believe Steve Specht at St.X was first to use it. The defense we run is a variation of that. Chuck Kyle ran the 3/3 stack for awhile also. The key to it is you need stud linebackers with speed.

Years ago some of the private schools started using 3/3 stack. 3DL, 3 LB, 5 DBS. I believe Steve Specht at St.X was first to use it. The defense we run is a variation of that. Chuck Kyle ran the 3/3 stack for awhile also. The key to it is you need stud linebackers with speed.
Yep, correct... you have to have the right personnel to run the defense though as you mentioned the LB's need to be studs but also you need a couple safeties that look like LB's as they move them all over the field, oh and a couple great CB's help..

Yep, correct... you have to have the right personnel to run the defense though as you mentioned the LB's need to be studs but also you need a couple safeties that look like LB's as they move them all over the field, oh and a couple great CB's help..
Yes. The 3/3 basically replaced the 4/4 defense because HS coaches couldn't find 4 good linebackers. 3 was a luxury so using safeties walked up was a good option to cover sideline to sideline.

Yes. The 3/3 basically replaced the 4/4 defense because HS coaches couldn't find 4 good linebackers. 3 was a luxury so using safeties walked up was a good option to cover sideline to sideline.
Plus with all the passing the 3-3 is much more useful than the 4-4, the game has changed. During the playoffs I noticed a couple other high schools using it, at least at times. One school ran a 3-3 but didn't really use a stack but rather moved the LB's around a bit.. again you have to have the right guys but it was confusing, especially when safeties can walk up and a LB can drop back. Also those 3 DL's need to be able to pressure a little so you probably need a good rotation of guys up front..

I just want to see speed and athletes on the field. 3-3-5 is what I prefer but as mentioned you have to have 3 really good backers

Status
Not open for further replies.