2022 Massillon Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
During this time the city has maintained roughly the same population due to annexation but much if not most of the land was not in the Massillon city school district.
Yes, annexation has occurred throughout the years. However, the Massillon City School District is still 63% of the City’s entire land area. In addition, there has been no annexation to Massillon since 2011.

Yes, annexation has occurred throughout the years. However, the Massillon City School District is still 63% of the City’s entire land area. In addition, there has been no annexation to Massillon since 2011.

If I remember this correctly , the annexations were land only and not school districts . The city of Massillon has grown in terms of land only.

Massillon lucked out on the population bomb that Youngstown and Canton ran into during their deindustrialization, but the town is just big enough that a single new employer won't really fix the town's problems. Unfortunately Massillon is also small enough that they don't have the ability to make infrastructure promises, tax concessions, or provide large tracts of land to a prospective new employer to build a big new campus or facility that would make a huge difference in a town of 30,000.

A quick review of some 2020 Census data seems to back up my earlier guess on family formation in town.
Hudson and Avon (two other DII communities) have approx 30% of their populations coming in between 0-18.
Massillon has approx 20%.

Simply put, Massillon hasn't gotten any smaller in overall, but the # kids has shrunk considerably. I can speak anecdotally as a Massillon graduate, I don't know many people whom I graduated with who moved away for college, military, or trade school and then chose to move back there to start a family.

The Massillon dynamic that helped foster the teams of the 40s, 50s, 60s simply no longer exists. The mills are gone, and with them the high paying, union jobs that allowed one breadwinner to have a family of 4-5 kids. Now to build the same kind of life you have to have learn some kind of skill and that usually means moving away for a period of time. Not to mention the fact most often you need two of these breadwinners to make a family, let alone a family of 4-7 people economically feasible.

This new social dynamic, combined with the economics of NEO means we can't rely on the same ways to win that we did in the mid 1900s. The continuity simply no longer exists. No one graduates high school and then goes to work at dad's job (unless dad owns the business). I think Moore understands the town's current situation better than anyone and has built a program that punches WELL above it's enrollment and socioeconomic weight. Here's to hoping that nearly a decade of building results in titles in 23 and 24.

Last edited:
Massillon lucked out on the population bomb that Youngstown and Canton ran into during their deindustrialization, but the town is just big enough that a single new employer won't really fix the town's problems. Unfortunately Massillon is also small enough that they don't have the ability to make infrastructure promises, tax concessions, or provide large tracts of land to a prospective new employer to build a big new campus or facility that would make a huge difference in a town of 30,000.

A quick review of some 2020 Census data seems to back up my earlier guess on family formation in town.
Hudson and Avon (two other DII communities) have approx 30% of their populations coming in between 0-18.

Simply put, Massillon hasn't gotten any smaller in overall, but the # kids has shrunk considerably. I can speak anecdotally as a Massillon graduate, I don't know many people who I graduated with who moved away for college, military, or trade school and then chose to move back there to start a family.

The Massillon dynamic that helped foster the teams of the 40s, 50s, 60s simply no longer exists. The mills are gone, and with them the high paying, union jobs that allowed one breadwinner to have a family of 4-5 kids. Now to build the same kind of life you have to have learn some kind of skill and that usually means moving away for a period of time. Not to mention the fact most often you need two of these breadwinners to make a family, let alone a family of 4-7 people economically feasible.

This new social dynamic, combined with the economics of NEO means we can't rely on the same ways to win that we did in the mid 1900s. The continuity simply no longer exists. No one graduates high school and then goes to work at dad's job (unless dad owns the business). I think Moore understands the town's current situation better than anyone and has built a program that punches WELL above it's enrollment and socioeconomic weight. Here's to hoping that nearly a decade of building results in titles in 23 and 24.
Very well done sir.

OH merry Xmas 🧡🐅🐅🐅

Attachments

• 00D6D0EE-0FBC-49A5-80F9-CB3E6906CE98.jpeg
    00D6D0EE-0FBC-49A5-80F9-CB3E6906CE98.jpeg
    669 KB · Views: 37
Was coming on here to say this! Congrats to him. Well earned. Kids a special talent and a hard runner. I don’t feel as if he got the college recognition he should’ve due to missing last year.
Consider how high he is on Massillon's all time rushing list. He's #2 in yards with 3,984 (only 41 yards shy of #1), he's also #2 in TD's (only 3 shy of #1)....he did this on 187 less career attempts than the leader.

Now this is the REALLY impressive part, Willtrell didn't really get any significant carries in 2020 (sophomore year) until week #6 due to an injury to Raekwon Venson....remember this was the final week of the regular season due to a covid shortened year. So....in his sophomore year he rushed for 1,111 yards in only 7 games.

His Jr. year he rushed for 831 yards....but consider this....he only carried the ball 16 times AFTER WEEK #4, so combining his sophomore and junior year he played significant minutes in only 11 games and rushed for 1,942 yards. Pretty impressive.

To be honest his open field speed worried me during his career but his never say die running style obviously impressed somebody in Columbus.

I'm confident that he'll work his tail off in Columbus and I guess we'll have to wait and see how that works out in the long run.

Simply put, Massillon hasn't gotten any smaller in overall, but the # kids has shrunk considerably. I can speak anecdotally as a Massillon graduate, I don't know many people whom I graduated with who moved away for college, military, or trade school and then chose to move back there to start a family.

Your first paragraph is inaccurate. The whole south Massillon area had large tracts of that were previously developed industrially and commercially in the 1990’s to the 2000’s, which the City of Massillon offered incentives. There are remaining tracts that could be developed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.