Holdbacks

Repeating is cheating. More and more cheaters every year.

The day you turn 19 is the day you don't belong competing in high school.
With an attitude like that the next thing your probably say is that holdback families are racist. LOL. Judge, jury, and executioner.

Do people complain about the advantages one gets by attending a better school? How dare a parent send their kid to upper Arlington. They should be ashamed they don't put their kid in Columbus south schools. What a shameful parent. I can't believe someone would dare try to give their kid an advantage in life. How dare a parent move from an inner city school to Dublin to get their kid in a better life environment. Disgraceful cheaters!!

Apples and oranges in my opinion. Not necessarily giving your kid an advantage in life by holding them back for sports. You could actually be hurting their earning potential by making them start their "adult" life a year later. I'm not saying this is the case for these kids. I'm just saying this analogy is not appropriate in my opinion.

Do what you want with your kids though. No skin off my nose. As long a parents are within the rules, it doesn't matter to me.

Apples and oranges in my opinion. Not necessarily giving your kid an advantage in life by holding them back for sports. You could actually be hurting their earning potential by making them start their "adult" life a year later. I'm not saying this is the case for these kids. I'm just saying this analogy is not appropriate in my opinion.

Do what you want with your kids though. No skin off my nose. As long a parents are within the rules, it doesn't matter to me.
Hurting their earnings?? Lol Talk about a dumb argument. You couldn’t prove that if your life depended on it, I can think of many High school wrestlers who turned 19 at the end of their senior season or before who are making careers on Wall Street or other high paying jobs coming out of the Ivy League or Michigan etc. likely making triple of your income better. I know why you’re a nut hugger of a couple other dummies here now ?

Last edited:
If nobody was gonna beat you anyway then why holdback
Maybe you’re immature and not ready academically ? Maybe you want to even things up with all the kindergarten holdbacks? Maybe you want to strengthen the High school team your going to attend, and 1 more year will benefit that. Maybe you weigh 95 pounds soaking wet and since the first college weight is 125 now an extra year would be beneficial. The BIGGER question is everyone knows if your kid is a stud based on age group national success …. So most of the parents of holdbacks know its the parents of the “ little Johny” who never won age group anything who are crying, and they just mock you and your envy based stupidity. ?

Last edited:

I definitely think their are life advantages one would get from being the older kid on a team. Taking on a leadership role has longstanding effects. Being a leader has long term effects. I coached for a long long time. Older kids were the better leaders. With the exception of Brandon that is

In the 70’s there were several of my High School classmates a year older than myself. No one cared that there parents started them late in school for whatever reason they F ‘ ing chose. Some of you envious losers are pathetic.

As a parent of a incoming freshman who doesn't turn 14 until September. I've considered it over and over again. Especially when there are some guys 2 years older than him. There's reasons why I won't. But I guess I have until Aug to change my mind. At this point I feel I'm sending the wrong message to my son about where wrestling stands in the pecking order of our life... I'm really proud of my son as a student, and of the good person he is more so than wrestling. He's an ok wrestler.

That being said I've had a lot of people i respect a great deal tell me they've yet to have anyone tell them they regret that choice.

I'll let you know in 4 years how it turned out

As a parent of a incoming freshman who doesn't turn 14 until September. I've considered it over and over again. Especially when there are some guys 2 years older than him. There's reasons why I won't. But I guess I have until Aug to change my mind. At this point I feel I'm sending the wrong message to my son about where wrestling stands in the pecking order of our life... I'm really proud of my son as a student, and of the good person he is more so than wrestling. He's an ok wrestler.

That being said I've had a lot of people i respect a great deal tell me they've yet to have anyone tell them they regret that choice.

I respect the people that put their names with their opinions. The people that wanna whine under screen names are just clowns to me. Before you decide, talk with people that have high moral values. Every kid is different

Depends how you deliver the "message", and also every kid is different. Some embrace it, most of those likely really love the sport and the grind. I know one particular instance of a parent who's son was a VERY ELITE 14 year old, MANY national accolades....BUT he weighed about 90 pounds as an eight grader, some of his wrestling buddies were already a year older than him entering High school, so he wasn't really getting any advantage they already didnt have. Additionally due to his weight and his resume, scholarship offers could come into play if he was too light as a senior for 125. No regrets, kid had a stellar career...college grad etc etc. Don't worry what people green with envy say or think......feel your kid out and respond to that, he wont be the first or last kid who is held back.

I am amazed at how many parents/coaches will NOT say how old a kid is. I never ask what grade a kid is in because it's just a label that has little significance. Anyway, what I/we REALLY want to know is the kid's age, so that's what I ask. Invariably, when I ask how old, they respond with a grade level. That non-response tells the entire story, and that is they don't want you to know the age (for whatever the reason).
If they do freestyle you can’t hide from your age. So your two year hold back 8th grader will be wrestling 10th & 11th graders his same age.

I find it interesting that many of the same people that bleed Scarlet and Grey wrestling conveniently look past that many of their beloved Buckeyes (Steiber, Palmer, Martin, etc.) just to name a few were “holdbacks”. I wonder if the parents of those stupid 19 y/o seniors regret their decision?

I think the schools and principals will make it harder and harder to hold back. I know kids that have been turned down. We decided to do the whole 7th grade thing twice and with Covid hitting we now look like genuis'(although it was purely dumb luck) because the kids didnt learn squat from remote learning(lets be honest). He is now excelling academically in a school with very tough curriculum. As a freshman he still needs carted around, so he's still 15. It was his choice to be held back. We grappled back and forth about it morally, but at the end of the day it turned into a long term pros/cons approach and I would do it again and he does not regret it. His top room partner is a slightly bigger 14 year old "true" Frosh who pushes him and is better than him so I'm wary of some of the arguments. His state bracket was chock full of Juniors and Seniors and he was the only Freshman in his bracket and he competed with the big boys, took his licks like a man and is better for it going into next season.

I think the schools and principals will make it harder and harder to hold back. I know kids that have been turned down. We decided to do the whole 7th grade thing twice and with Covid hitting we now look like genuis'(although it was purely dumb luck) because the kids didnt learn squat from remote learning(lets be honest). He is now excelling academically in a school with very tough curriculum. As a freshman he still needs carted around, so he's still 15. It was his choice to be held back. We grappled back and forth about it morally, but at the end of the day it turned into a long term pros/cons approach and I would do it again and he does not regret it. His top room partner is a slightly bigger 14 year old "true" Frosh who pushes him and is better than him so I'm wary of some of the arguments. His state bracket was chock full of Juniors and Seniors and he was the only Freshman in his bracket and he competed with the big boys, took his licks like a man and is better for it going into next season.
You can’t blame a parent for doing this. I applaud you sir.

There have been a lot more instances of repeating a grade in the last couple of years because of Covid. From elementary to jr high. And, rightly so.

Kids weren’t getting anything out of hybrid, virtual or remote learning. Waste of time… IMO.

Classroom, sports, programs, activities, etc… all cancelled.

And the people that say, “everyone was in the same boat and everyone lost out”. I say, “you had a choice and decided to let the government take your child’s opportunities away.”

The kids in high school in 2020 that didn’t have a choice; they were wronged and could do nothing at the time.
But if your child was in elementary or jr high and unsure of how long the insanity would last, then you had a choice.

You had a choice to do what was “right for your child and within the rules”.

Last edited:

Knowing who you are, you choice will almost certainly impact more than just your son. I suspect it could also play a role in the decision made by some of his teammates as well as some other nearby competitors.
My daughter has a September birthday as well and we held her back but it was in kindergarten. I still feel it was the right choice but athletics played no part in it.
I am sure you will do what you feel is best for him.

Holdback or not make sure you have your child gets a job during their HS experience and pays for things. It will give them an experience as to how the real world works and most likely a boss who they will take orders from that doesn't sugar coat things. It will also help them to think about how to use wrestling instead of getting used by wrestling. Most high level guys get chewed up mentally and physically by the sport.

Repeating is cheating. More and more cheaters every year.

The day you turn 19 is the day you don't belong competing in high school.
We held my son back in kindergarten due to an orthographical dyslexia issue because we wanted to get him a stronger foundation. He has been pretty successful academically ever since, so I believe we made the right choice. He is now a 6th grader, and set to turn 19 the first week of march his senior year. According to your proposal, given the current dates of the state tournament, he would be unable to compete.

We held my son back in kindergarten due to an orthographical dyslexia issue because we wanted to get him a stronger foundation. He has been pretty successful academically ever since, so I believe we made the right choice. He is now a 6th grader, and set to turn 19 the first week of march his senior year. According to your proposal, given the current dates of the state tournament, he would be unable to compete.
Don’t worry… his proposal is as useless as pedals on a wheelchair.

Last edited:
Correct, 19 year olds should NOT compete in a division that includes 14-15 year olds.

I applaud that you chose education and personal development for you child but life is about choices and trade offs.

The physical advantage a 19 year old has over younger boys is similar to the physical advantage a man has over a woman.

Under OHSAA it's perfectly acceptable for a 19 year old to compete against a 14 year old.
Age doesn't always indicate maturity and many 14 year olds are physically and emotionally more mature than a 19 year old.
You're 100% right there's trade offs but you might be on short side of that trade off. Most start their kids early to get expensive daycare off the pay outs.

Right now if a woman chooses to compete against a man it's up to her. I'm not sure if a man has crossed over to compete against a woman in ohsaa but if it happens you might have a point.

Correct, 19 year olds should NOT compete in a division that includes 14-15 year olds.

I applaud that you chose education and personal development for you child but life is about choices and trade offs.

The physical advantage a 19 year old has over younger boys is similar to the physical advantage a man has over a woman.
So your saying the 19 year old has such a huge advantage over the 18yr old who competes against the same kids? GTFOH with that craziness. Your comparing the oldest age to the youngest, the comparison should be between the oldest you can be and the oldest you think they should be allowed to be.

Hurting their earnings?? Lol Talk about a dumb argument. You couldn’t prove that if your life depended on it, I can think of many High school wrestlers who turned 19 at the end of their senior season or before who are making careers on Wall Street or other high paying jobs coming out of the Ivy League or Michigan etc. likely making triple of your income better. I know why you’re a nut hugger of a couple other dummies here now ?
Agree (with the non-insulting part). Kids can take so many classes now in HS to get college credit many are college sophomores the day they graduate high school. If a kid is wrestling in college he will likely redshirt and depending on how good he is he may have an Olympic redshirt. Look at Michigan this year...2 wrestlers who had a combined 15 years in college (neither will be doctors or lawyers either) but I'd bet they won't hurt to make a living now that their marathon college careers are over.

How is that any different than when the kid was 18 a few weeks before his 19th birthday and competing against 14-15 year old's?

What about 15 year old's that are built like Greek gods...should they be banned because their muscles are more mature?

maybe they should have puberty tests to determine if you started early. It would be very unfair for a kid thats 14 in 8th grade and has been in puberty for years to compete against a 11 year old 7th grader that isnt close to puberty. That 14 year old should be banned from the school sponsored sport until others can catch up.

Last edited: