Holdbacks

Matmom55

I feel like hold backs are becoming a serious problem. The OAC grade school tournament is more like a Freshman State tournament. Then the amount of wrestlers holding back in HS is even worse. Kids holding back for purely for wrestling is crazy and shouldn't be allowed.
Its crazy to think a HS freshman can be wrestling a 19, almost 20 year old. Doesn't seem fair. Thoughts??

I feel like hold backs are becoming a serious problem. The OAC grade school tournament is more like a Freshman State tournament. Then the amount of wrestlers holding back in HS is even worse. Kids holding back for purely for wrestling is crazy and shouldn't be allowed.
Its crazy to think a HS freshman can be wrestling a 19, almost 20 year old. Doesn't seem fair. Thoughts??

Almost impossible to police. Parents are free to do whatever they want as long as it is within the rules. I see the issue more at the JH level than at the HS level. I think having a child that has gone through puberty and is almost 16 wrestling a 12/13 year old is more of an issue than a 14/15 year old that has gone through puberty wrestling a19 year old.

And if you think this is "becoming a problem," you haven't bee around long. This has been debated ad nauseum for years in several sports. I'm sure you'll get a lot of good feedback here though.

Good luck.

Matmom55, you're about to get blown-up! This topic has been beaten to death a gazillion times over the years. To summarize ...

• the most ardent supporters are parents who hold their kid back for a year early in grade school for purely academic and behavioral issues.
  • the next group of supporters are the parent and coaches who hold the 6th - 8th graders back to gain that extra competitive advantage later in their careers.
  • the non-supporters are a very large group, but have essentially given up because nothing will change in their favor, certainly not in this everyone-deserves-a-trophy time.
There have been countless 'remedies' proposed, but it's all just fun banter, because nothing will change.

horse.jpg

I am amazed at how many parents/coaches will NOT say how old a kid is. I never ask what grade a kid is in because it's just a label that has little significance. Anyway, what I/we REALLY want to know is the kid's age, so that's what I ask. Invariably, when I ask how old, they respond with a grade level. That non-response tells the entire story, and that is they don't want you to know the age (for whatever the reason).

Dying because of hold backs? Get a grip! Maybe a larger gap between the elite and the mediocre but wrestling is still going strong in NE Ohio.
yes, as I see sectional tournaments with 3-4 kids at a weight on the brackets. how many fans do you see at duals and tournaments anymore. Maple Hts would have 1000+ fans at dual meets. Standing room only as well. The sport is dying a slow death and it makes me sad. By the way, didn't say it was dying just because of hold backs. Just part of the problem, IMO

Cannot wait for the guy complaining about top tier girls beating up on pre-pubescent boys weighs in on why it is okay for 19-yr old men to beat up on those pre-pubescent 14-yr olds.
Hey BLUE BOY......Tell us the % of girls able to beat boys? Then tell us how many of those girls are older when they RARELY beat below average boys? Then let's test your knowledge, when does the average girl reach full maturity ? Average boy? Then tell us how many girls are qualifying for state in D1 above 106??? Why aren't these opportunistic girls continuing their minuscule success against boy's once boys are mature like them? ? Why aren't girls doing anything but getting the S***T beat out of them against boys in national tournaments who are ranked???? OPPORTUNISTIC STUPIDTY . Jethro Dad's trying to exploit Ellie May. Additionally dipS *** There aren't many 19 year old boys at 106 fool lol

yes, as I see sectional tournaments with 3-4 kids at a weight on the brackets. how many fans do you see at duals and tournaments anymore. Maple Hts would have 1000+ fans at dual meets. Standing room only as well. The sport is dying a slow death and it makes me sad. By the way, didn't say it was dying just because of hold backs. Just part of the problem, IMO
Maybe it's your not as good anymore? Also times have changed and kids also.Hell 15 years ago you have to go watch events now just watch it on your phone.

Most of those complaining blame the lack of their little Johny's "success" because he was 3 months younger? 5 months younger?? 9 month's younger??? 15 months younger????? When do we cut it off??? How many month's are too many???? Yet their little Johny couldn't sniff a medal at AGE GROUP NATIONAL TOURNAMENT'S his entire career :ROFLMAO:. It's more about physical maturity AND TALENT OR LACK OF than the number, some boy's mature late 17-19, other's rarely albeit, start to mature 14-15. Can it be a variable? Absolutely.. but it's not the same across the board. MANY of the most highly regarded Ohio high schoolers were 18-19 part of their senior season...Clint Musser was the first I am familiar with , but there are many more before him I'm certain.....Guess what?.... MOST OF THE " Little Johny's" weren't beating Musser anyway even if they had a 2 year age advantage !

Last edited:
If it was the kids decision how many would want to do an extra year of school and see all your buddies move on to high school and your still
In 8th grade
This would be the real issue. If the student has little or no input in the decision then we have a deeper issue; very selfish and irresponsible parenting.

I wonder if you can compete athletically as a high schooler even if you qualify to still compete in ms. But still be limited to the 4 years

Last edited:
This would be the real issue. If the student has little or no input in the decision then we have a deeper issue; very selfish and irresponsible parenting.
I disagree. That's the problem. Parents make more informed decisions than 13 year olds. Be a parent and do what's best for the child. Not the other way around

EPIC TROLL Matmom! Classic "beat a dead horse" topic! Bravo !

Most of those complaining blame the lack of their little Johny's "success" because he was 3 months younger? 5 months younger?? 9 month's younger??? 15 months younger????? When do we cut it off??? How many month's are too many???? Yet their little Johny couldn't sniff a medal at AGE GROUP NATIONAL TOURNAMENT'S his entire career :ROFLMAO:. It's more about physical maturity AND TALENT OR LACK OF than the number, some boy's mature late 17-19, other's rarely albeit, start to mature 14-15. Can it be a variable? Absolutely.. but it's not the same across the board. MANY of the most highly regarded Ohio high schoolers were 18-19 part of their senior season...Clint Musser was the first I am familiar with , but there are many more before him I'm certain.....Guess what?.... MOST OF THE " Little Johny's" weren't beating Musser anyway even if they had a 2 year age advantage !
If nobody was gonna beat you anyway then why holdback

Parents make more informed decisions than 13 year olds. Be a parent and do what's best for the child. Not the other way around
Opinions differ. Some do some don’t. It’s pretty obvious to me that MOST holdbacks are a result of parental egos NOT because the kid is pushing for it.

So if a kid gets held back in 2nd grade because he is a slow learner, immature, parents split and the kid couldn't focus, they move, for whatever reason and there could be many, hell they might not have even played sports at this point in their life, but my point is if it was a 1 year holdback that shouldn't disqualify them from sports. They should have the same opportunity as any other kid to play, plus its like people crying about weight cutting, everyone has the same opportunity to cut or not to cut, hold back or not hold back. Has anyone ever talked with a parent that held their child back and the parent regretted it????? NE Ohio does well with wrestling no matter holdback or not, it a culture that has been built.

Do people complain about the advantages one gets by attending a better school? How dare a parent send their kid to upper Arlington. They should be ashamed they don't put their kid in Columbus south schools. What a shameful parent. I can't believe someone would dare try to give their kid an advantage in life. How dare a parent move from an inner city school to Dublin to get their kid in a better life environment. Disgraceful cheaters!!