Division III State Championship: Hamilton Badin (14-0) vs. Chardon (15-0)

Who wins?

• Chardon by 17+

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • Chardon by 8-16

Votes: 31 28.2%
  • Chardon by 1-7

Votes: 24 21.8%
  • Badin by 1-7

Votes: 17 15.5%
  • Badin by 8-16

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Badin by 17+

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know very little about Badin.
I think there best regular season win was McNicholas.
And Badin beat McNicholas worse than Clinton Massie.

I would say Chardon is in the Clinton-Massie style of game.
I think I saw one highlight of Badin. So I have zero info on them.
Usually when Ohio hs football fans don’t have any clue on the opposing team they key in on the region and schedule of that team. But it’s still about matching up vs that team in particular. They are obviously both really above just good teams if they are the only 2 left to play. Lol

What can you say? It’s a Classic Northeast vs Southwest State Title game.

I always say you can’t go by comparative scores, it’s how team A matches up vs Team B.
Strengths vs Weakness.

I think having a good defense puts Badin in a good position vs Chardon.

I don’t know which team is healthy besides the QB. Exactly what week did Badin lose this QB?

From the few highlights I saw of Badin I was impressed.
Reminded me of Kettering Alter athletes but run a more spread offense. From the tiny bit I seen it looked similar to Dover’s style of offense.

Fans can say the regions are all the same level. But I digress.
There wasn’t (1) easy 1st round playoff game in Region 9.
The region was log jammed with good competition that could bite you if you didn’t bring it each week.
Usually there are a couple 4-6 teams with this new playoff format that are tomato cans for the higher seeds. Not R9. Not this year. Chardon could lose and I would still stay R9 from top to bottom had more solid programs in it than any other region. Chardon pretty much coasted right through R9 which was a little disconcerting for the other 15 programs, ?, it was very eye opening for me personally as I thought there was a few teams capable of making Chardon struggle this year. Plus a good bit of the R9 teams where getting healthy and players back at the right time.

Back to D3 State Final;

I’m gonna go with Chardon in a closer game than most of fans seem to think.
I know the brand of football in southwest Ohio. It’s a VERY good brand of football also.

Like always the game will come down to which team can win the line of scrimmage with consistency. Which team is more mentally disciplined, and a tiny bit of luck always helps.

Not knowing how healthy these teams are at this point in the season, it’s probably gonna come down to each Teams Will and Want to Win.
At this point, especially in high school football these kids tend to take upon themselves the Will, Character, Toughness and personality of their Head Coach’s and dance with the girl they took to the prom. They are who they are, in other words.
Maybe a trick play here or there, a fake punt maybe, maybe a few more passes. But we are creatures of habit in stressful situations. I expect to see these teams do what they do best and let the chips fall we they will.
I’ll pick;

Chardon-22
Badin- 17
Awesome post! One thing I’m sure of is Badin’s defense is healthy and stops the run better than any team I’ve seen this year. I know Chardon is run heavy running the wing t and if they have success running on this Badin defense I will tip my hat to them and say they deserve all the accolades they get. Exact same scenario in reverse for Badin’s offense. If they can run on Chardon with success I will be amazed and give them huge credit

I know very little about Chardon outside of their recent success and what I read on here. I've seen a few highlights, but not enough to make a case. Bottom line is, they are the defending state champs and haven't lost a game in over two years. They are the favorite and for the first time all year Badin will be considered the underdog. Badin will need to cut down the penalties and play mistake free football to win this game. The Badin defense has surrendered a total of 12 points in the playoffs and only 1 TD (St. Mary's had a TD but it was on a KO return). They have pitched 3 shutouts and held a very good rushing team (Granville) with a back over 2500 yards to a total of 2 yards rushing. Their defense is led by an outstanding front 7 and their D-Line is as good as I've seen. I believe this is going to be a really good game and I think it will be a defensive slugfest and low scoring affair. I'm going to make my homer pick and take Badin 14-13.
If I’m not mistaken St. Mary ran the wing T as well, maybe not as well as Chardon but at least Badin has an inkling on how to defend it. Assignment football, don’t over commit stay in your lane. Never playing against that type of offense can get you into a quick hole that may be impossible to climb out of.

Awesome post! One thing I’m sure of is Badin’s defense is healthy and stops the run better than any team I’ve seen this year. I know Chardon is run heavy running the wing t and if they have success running on this Badin defense I will tip my hat to them and say they deserve all the accolades they get. Exact same scenario in reverse for Badin’s offense. If they can run on Chardon with success I will be amazed and give them huge credit
Having seen Chardon on offense, they aren't the (Buck Sweep, Trap, Waggle) Wing T...they are a hard nosed POWER football operation. They are good at what they do but not a Wing T team.

Simkon is a Canfield fan that just try’s to keep their season going in every possible thread he can….. I can tell you that CHARDON is looking forward to playing the best possible competition in the state final. This game was predicted in the first weeks of the season and it will be reality on Friday……
THANK YOU for explaining this! The "Chardon's played the toughest schedule in the history of the world" comment kept coming up the last few weeks and I couldn't figure out why. Toppers played a really good schedule, but it never stuck out that they were playing IMG Academy every week.

Depth question - how many of each team's kids start both ways? I know there's always rotations, but that was one of the most impressive things about Chardon was their O & D lines seemed to be completely separate units that showed no slowdown as the game goes on.

Depth question - how many of each team's kids start both ways? I know there's always rotations, but that was one of the most impressive things about Chardon was their O & D lines seemed to be completely separate units that showed no slowdown as the game goes on.
Badin has 1 player #11 WR/DB

Aw man, this is gonna be an AWESOME game!!
CHARDON is very similar, at most 2 guy that have significant responsibility on both sides of the ball but we have a ton of depth. Watched the Badin/Ross game, that QB1 seemed to be a large part of the Badin Offensive scheme, I will be disappointed if he cannot go, what a great athlete! I understand that was week 5 of season and teams have grown since…….

CHARDON is very similar, at most 2 guy that have significant responsibility on both sides of the ball but we have a ton of depth. Watched the Badin/Ross game, that QB1 seemed to be a large part of the Badin Offensive scheme, I will be disappointed if he cannot go, what a great athlete! I understand that was week 5 of season and teams have grown since…….
It sucks that he’s out but Badin doesn’t butter their bread running outside and IMO Chardon’s defense is way too fast and good to allow the QB to run outside on them. Badin’s only chance is to be able to run the ball up the middle and hit a few passes to keep Chardon honest. I honestly don’t see Badin scoring more than 7-14 unless Chardon turns it over. On the flip side I’m very interested to see if Chardon will be able to ground and pound Badin’s D. Badin will have to play a near perfect game to win and they will have to have Chardon make some mistakes.

Watched Badin D highlights on Hudl. Very impressive. Also watched a bit of the St. Mary game pointed out earlier. The St. Mary's offense is not even close to what Chardon runs. Chardon is very deceptive on offense. Trying to determine who has the ball is difficult and can be frustrating...4 yards...3 yards...first down...2 yards...5 yards...first down... clock runs... long drives. Sweep for 7 yards...2 yards...first down... pretty much the recipe. Both team defenses are fast and aggressive to the ball. Game winner is based on the number of mistakes and moving the ball. Sounds obvious, but will be difficult to accomplish. Special teams may be pivotal in this one!

Last edited:
Watched Badin D highlights on Hudl. Very impressive. Also watched a bit of the St. Mary game pointed out earlier. The St. Mary's offense is not even close to what Chardon runs. Chardon is very deceptive on offense. Trying to determine who has the ball is difficult and can be frustrating...4 yards...3 yards...first down...2 yards...5 yards...first down... clock runs... long drives. Sweep for 7 yards...2 yards...first down... pretty much the recipe. Both team defenses are fast and aggressive to the ball. Game winner is based on the number of mistakes and moving the ball. Sounds obvious, but will be difficult to accomplish. Special teams may be pivotal in this one!
Aggressive can be very bad against the wing-t. You have to be disciplined and stay home if you hope to contain it. If you get aggressive and over pursue, someone hits a cutback lane and its a big gain if they don't take it to the house. Plus the deception, and misdirection. Find yourself flying to the person that got the fake, while the ball carrier is running free.

Enrollment: Badin
2 states
7 counties
23 zip codes

Enrollment: Chardon
1 state
1 county
1 zip code

Go Chardon!
Be interested to know what 7 counties kids are coming from. I can be rather confident that 85% of the enrollment is from Butler Co, 13% from Hamilton Co. and I would guess that the football team is 100% from both. Zeeman would have better inside knowledge on this. Catholic schools have to pull from a large area to survive. Also consider the kids Badin loses from Butler Co. to STX, Elder and probably Moeller and Fenwick.

Aggressive can be very bad against the wing-t. You have to be disciplined and stay home if you hope to contain it. If you get aggressive and over pursue, someone hits a cutback lane and its a big gain if they don't take it to the house. Plus the deception, and misdirection. Find yourself flying to the person that got the fake, while the ball carrier is running free.
True, but running games are shut down with d line penetration into the backfield which Badin excels at. Will it be good enough? We will see on Friday. I agree that St Mary’s is nowhere near as good as Chardon

Be interested to know what 7 counties kids are coming from. I can be rather confident that 85% of the enrollment is from Butler Co, 13% from Hamilton Co. and I would guess that the football team is 100% from both. Zeeman would have better inside knowledge on this. Catholic schools have to pull from a large area to survive. Also consider the kids Badin loses from Butler Co. to STX, Elder and probably Moeller and Fenwick.
Just sour grapes from Tipp, Badin has the VAST majority of their kids from Hamilton and Fairfield Catholic grade schools. They do have foreign exchange students but to say they draw kids from seven counties in Ohio is just stupid. I would say they are very similar to McNich, Fenwick and Carroll etc. As for the foreign exchange students, very few have ever played football for Badin

Just sour grapes from Tipp, Badin has the VAST majority of their kids from Hamilton and Fairfield Catholic grade schools. They do have foreign exchange students but to say they draw kids from seven counties in Ohio is just stupid. I would say they are very similar to McNich, Fenwick and Carroll etc. As for the foreign exchange students, very few have ever played football for Badin
Except of course the Australian punter..lol

That guys an idiot. Spewing the same nonsense on Twitter. He's still butt hurt that Bellbrook broke one off in their ace. I'm not Catholic, didn't go to private school but as a life long Butler Co. resident and public educator I can tell you that his "facts" aren't close to be accurate.

That guys an idiot. Spewing the same nonsense on Twitter. He's still butt hurt that Bellbrook broke one off in their ace. I'm not Catholic, didn't go to private school but as a life long Butler Co. resident and public educator I can tell you that his "facts" aren't close to be accurate.
TWICE!!!

For what it’s worth, straight from Badin’s Facebook page:

“Badin High School admits students of any race, color, and national or ethnic origin. All faiths are welcomed at Badin High School and we serve over 28 zip codes in Butler, Warren & Hamilton Counties and SE Indiana.”

For what it’s worth, straight from Badin’s Facebook page:

“Badin High School admits students of any race, color, and national or ethnic origin. All faiths are welcomed at Badin High School and we serve over 28 zip codes in Butler, Warren & Hamilton Counties and SE Indiana.”
who cares, none of that matters, we talking football here buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.