When the OHSAA = the NCAA

And how many other country are truly capable of doing this? Again, you’re bent out of shape over nothing.
What do you mean "country"?

As for being bent out of shape-- wait until NIL changes the competitive landscape in both college and HS sports-- then there will be a lot of others a lot more "bent out of shape" than I ever will be. "College" sports have effectively become minor league professional sports-- with a loose affiliation with some school. When Phil Knight (with $65 Billion-- nearly 7X more than Lex Wexner, who is currently OSU's wealthiest alum) decides to buy all the best lineman, linebackers, receivers, quarterbacks, etc. for his alma mater (Oregon)-- and give them ALL Nike NIL contracts to funnel the money to them, people at Alabama, Clemson-- and yes, even Ohio State-- are going to be crying in their beer about "the good ol' days". Phil Knight could spend a BILLION dollars a year on this activity (~10X the entire OSU athletic department budget)-- and not even BLINK.

And, BTW, Knight could do the same thing for Oregon's basketball team-- and there is NOTHING that Kentucky could do about it to match that. In fact, Knight could do it for EVERY SINGLE Oregon varsity athletic team-- and (unless Warren Buffett decides he wants to back Nebraska's teams in similar fashion), there really aren't a lot of equivalent deep pockets that could put up a fight.

What do you mean "country"?

As for being bent out of shape-- wait until NIL changes the competitive landscape in both college and HS sports-- then there will be a lot of others a lot more "bent out of shape" than I ever will be. "College" sports have effectively become minor league professional sports-- with a loose affiliation with some school. When Phil Knight (with $65 Billion-- nearly 7X more than Lex Wexner, who is currently OSU's wealthiest alum) decides to buy all the best lineman, linebackers, receivers, quarterbacks, etc. for his alma mater (Oregon)-- and give them ALL Nike NIL contracts to funnel the money to them, people at Alabama, Clemson-- and yes, even Ohio State-- are going to be crying in their beer about "the good ol' days". Phil Knight could spend a BILLION dollars a year on this activity (~10X the entire OSU athletic department budget)-- and not even BLINK.

And, BTW, Knight could do the same thing for Oregon's basketball team-- and there is NOTHING that Kentucky could do about it to match that. In fact, Knight could do it for EVERY SINGLE Oregon varsity athletic team-- and (unless Warren Buffett decides he wants to back Nebraska's teams in similar fashion), there really aren't a lot of equivalent deep pockets that could put up a fight.
That’s exactly why I said the NCAA is going to regulate this.

That’s exactly why I said the NCAA is going to regulate this.
I don't believe the NCAA will be able to regulate earnings going forward. What they'll probably do is sift through all the social media postings to make sure the kids aren't wearing any team gear or have team/school names posted.

What the kids need to worry about is another acronym with 1 less letter - I.R.S. Majority of these kids were filling out 1040EZ (if they even filed returns) and now have moved into significantly different tax brackets.

look for tiny (but rich) schools (like Mariemont and Seven Hills) to suddenly emerge with some of the very best athletes in the state-- and it won't take many to dominate at Division VI or VII football.
Let me get this straight… you think some tiny schools like the ones you mention will have donors/alumni who’ll pay enough money for the VERY BEST ATHLETES IN THE STATE to move potentially hundreds of miles to play for those schools?

You. Are. Dreaming.

Let me get this straight… you think some tiny schools like the ones you mention will have donors/alumni who’ll pay enough money for the VERY BEST ATHLETES IN THE STATE to move potentially hundreds of miles to play for those schools?

You. Are. Dreaming.
No-- I think some of the tiny (but rich) schools like the ones I mentioned will be able to find wealthy alums who will pay a nice sum (e.g.- $5000-$10,000) to get a very good player previously at another school in the area (e.g.- Country Day suddenly finds itself with a quarterback like Ohio Mr. Football Evan Prater, or Mariemont suddenly finds itself with a running back like Ohio Mr. Football Corey Kiner).

There is no need to go hundreds of miles to get a good player. What happens when some wealthy alum of Delphos St. John (presuming there is one) decides to go get the best 5 players at Coldwater or MSML to come play for DSJ-- for a NIL payment of $10,000/each? There are people who can EASILY afford to do that-- I know LOTS of them, from my alma mater-- and I'd bet plenty of other schools have similar people.

What happens when some wealthy alum of Delphos St. John (presuming there is one) decides to go get the best 5 players at Coldwater or MSML to come play for DSJ-- for a NIL payment of $10,000/each? There are people who can EASILY afford to do that-- I know LOTS of them, from my alma mater-- and I'd bet plenty of other schools have similar people.
The first thing that’ll happen is that the kids’ parents will laugh him out of their house. If that doesn’t do the trick they’ll use other means. Nobody from Delphos is that stupid, and nobody from either of the other schools you mention would transfer like that.

An OHSAA school was literally just sanctioned because alums were paying 10 grand plus to their high school girls soccer players. So this dude isn’t far off with his predictions .
And now-- as long as those girls are getting paid by alums (and not the school), for their NIL rights-- it will be VERY HARD for the OHSAA to stop that, if they take the OHSAA to court.

The first thing that’ll happen is that the kids’ parents will laugh him out of their house. If that doesn’t do the trick they’ll use other means. Nobody from Delphos is that stupid, and nobody from either of the other schools you mention would transfer like that.
Right-- because EVERYBODY just tells someone to "get lost" when someone comes to your house, offering to pay your kid $10,000 to do what he's already doing-- at another location. I know one of those Mr. Football's parents-- I doubt that they would have told a St. X (or Country Day) alum to get lost, if such an alum came to them, offering five figures+ to play football at their school-- in fact, I KNOW that THOSE parents had once hoped that their kid would go to X-- but the cost was an issue.

An OHSAA school was literally just sanctioned because alums were paying 10 grand plus to their high school girls soccer players. So this dude isn’t far off with his predictions .
They had a third party paying their tuition they were not paying the girls directly. This stuff has been going on for years in private schools, they just got busted for it.

They had a third party paying their tuition they were not paying the girls directly. This stuff has been going on for years in private schools, they just got busted for it.

Same thing. They were paying thousands of dollars to ensure the athlete attends the school they want them to attend. That’s the entire crux of this post.

Reactions: 4GX
No-- I think some of the tiny (but rich) schools like the ones I mentioned will be able to find wealthy alums who will pay a nice sum (e.g.- $5000-$10,000) to get a very good player previously at another school in the area (e.g.- Country Day suddenly finds itself with a quarterback like Ohio Mr. Football Evan Prater, or Mariemont suddenly finds itself with a running back like Ohio Mr. Football Corey Kiner).

There is no need to go hundreds of miles to get a good player. What happens when some wealthy alum of Delphos St. John (presuming there is one) decides to go get the best 5 players at Coldwater or MSML to come play for DSJ-- for a NIL payment of $10,000/each? There are people who can EASILY afford to do that-- I know LOTS of them, from my alma mater-- and I'd bet plenty of other schools have similar people.
Unless these tiny rich schools you keep talking about have open enrollment do you really think most of these kids' families can afford to live in these areas? Average house cost in Mariemont is twice that of say a Sharonville. Kid may get 10 grand but his mom and pops are going to need that to pay the bills.

Even if the NIL stuff comes to high school it is not going to work like you think it is. The few kids who are lucky enough to make money off their likeness will basically be social media influencers. Companies will pay them to advertise their products. I am sure they will only be paying a small few who already have a large social media following. Even then they would pay a 0 star with over 100K followers before they would pay a 5 star with 10k followers.

Same thing. They were paying thousands of dollars to ensure the athlete attends the school they want them to attend. That’s the entire crux of this post.
Like I said this has been going on for years kids getting free tuition at private schools. So if that's the crux of the post, then all of these schools should already be ahead of the game with every great player in the area going there. That does not seem to be the case right now.

Like I said this has been going on for years kids getting free tuition at private schools. So if that's the crux of the post, then all of these schools should already be ahead of the game with every great player in the area going there. That does not seem to be the case right now.
If people are willing to pay that much under the table/against the rules, imagine what they’ll do when they are openly allowed.

Reactions: 4GX
Right-- because EVERYBODY just tells someone to "get lost" when someone comes to your house, offering to pay your kid $10,000 to do what he's already doing-- at another location. I know one of those Mr. Football's parents-- I doubt that they would have told a St. X (or Country Day) alum to get lost, if such an alum came to them, offering five figures+ to play football at their school-- in fact, I KNOW that THOSE parents had once hoped that their kid would go to X-- but the cost was an issue.
Right. Let’s see how that conversation would go…

“Mr. Homan, we know all of your son’s lifelong friends are from Coldwater, both sets of grandparents still live there, you were a standout for the Cavs, Coach Otten is one of the best coaches in the state and the Cavs are set for another great season.”

“Yeah, so what?”

“Well, we’d like him to leave all that behind to drive 40 minutes a day and back to Delphos to go to school and play football for the Blue Jays, even though he doesn’t know anybody he’ll be going to school with or playing football with. To make it all worthwhile, we’ll write you a check for the princely sum of $10,000. Whaddaya say?”

[cue laughter]

Right. Let’s see how that conversation would go…

“Mr. Homan, we know all of your son’s lifelong friends are from Coldwater, both sets of grandparents still live there, you were a standout for the Cavs, Coach Otten is one of the best coaches in the state and the Cavs are set for another great season.”

“Yeah, so what?”

“Well, we’d like him to leave all that behind to drive 40 minutes a day and back to Delphos to go to school and play football for the Blue Jays, even though he doesn’t know anybody he’ll be going to school with or playing football with. To make it all worthwhile, we’ll write you a check for the princely sum of $10,000. Whaddaya say?”

[cue laughter]
Everybody has their price.

Unless these tiny rich schools you keep talking about have open enrollment do you really think most of these kids' families can afford to live in these areas? Average house cost in Mariemont is twice that of say a Sharonville. Kid may get 10 grand but his mom and pops are going to need that to pay the bills.

Even if the NIL stuff comes to high school it is not going to work like you think it is. The few kids who are lucky enough to make money off their likeness will basically be social media influencers. Companies will pay them to advertise their products. I am sure they will only be paying a small few who already have a large social media following. Even then they would pay a 0 star with over 100K followers before they would pay a 5 star with 10k followers.
1) Country Day, Seven Hills, CHCA, Summit Country Day, and lots of others are private-- there is no open enrollment issue. For the schools that ARE public (and not open enrollment), just as there are alumni prepared to pay relatively large sums to secure these players, there will ALSO be alumni prepared to house a star player that they have brought in at great expense (and there are a LOT of big homes in Mason, Centerville, Ottawa Hills, Indian Hill, etc., with spare bedrooms not being used). Massillon has been finding a way for decades; Colerain somehow found housing in their district for everyone who needed it. There will be a lot of kids with temporary "guardians" in other school districts.

2) You still don't get that it is NOT going to matter if the kid can deliver an economic return on the investment in him-- the only return that really counts will be on the athletic field-- if the kid has ZERO social influence, he can (and will) still get paid-- to PLAY.

I don’t doubt that it’ll happen to some degree, but nowhere near the extent you think it will.
It's certainly going to be interesting to watch-- I call it a classic example of unintended consequences-- I don't think the Bret Kavanaughs of the world gave enough thought to what the broader ramifications of their decision would be. When scholastic sports all become professional, with the top talent gravitating to the highest bidders, there are going to be a LOT of grumpy school sports fans.

It's not going to depend on a "return on investment"-- it will devolve to wealthy, zealous alums (and closely affiliated businesses) who want to see their preferred school do well, to fund these payments-- and they will. Columbus Wahlberg Chevrolet is NEVER going to get any reasonable return on their gift of a fully loaded Silverado to a relatively anonymous defensive end named Jack Dawson-- the dealership (and/or whomever runs it) did NOT do it to make a return on investment (though that would be a nice ancillary benefit)-- they did it to ensure that Dawson wants to continue playing for OSU (and not transfer somewhere else)-- and others like him will want to come to OSU, as well.
If they gave the Silverado to Jack Dawson they really screwed up, the Ohio State freshman defensive end is Jack Sawyer.

There will be some movement but Ohio recruitment and transfer rules will remain that will limit the impact of creating super teams. If anything you see the local businesses paying to have local all-star do a radio spot and maybe give them a nice car.

You. Are. Dreaming.
No-- I think some of the tiny (but rich) schools like the ones I mentioned will be able to find wealthy alums who will pay a nice sum (e.g.- $5000-$10,000) to get a very good player at another school in the area (e.g.- Country Day suddenly finds itself with a quarterback like Ohio Mr. Football Evan Prater, or Mariemont suddenly finds itself with a running back like Ohio Mr. Football Corey Kiner).

Last edited:
Years ago they were saying open enrollment will kill high school sports with a great divide between the haves and the have nots.

Right now there are about 15 4 star and above recruits in the whole state for the class of 2022 2 schools (Wayne/Lakota West) have more than one kid ranked that high. I would assume IMG would not want anyone less than a 4 star. So losing 15 kids out of 1360 high schools would not make a dent in the high school landscape in Ohio. Even if they all went to an Ohio school that team would dominate and it would not be any different than the last 50 years where most of the same schools win championships (Iggy, Moeller, LaSalle, Coldwater)

By the way, I think you need to get your keyboard checked it seems to go in to CAPS LOCK sporadically,
Open enrollment has damaged high school athletics.

Ewers is definitely an exception and anyone who thinks it was for NIL $, needs to think again. South lake is a very well off suburb, his family isn’t hurting for $. He bolted to get into the NFL as early as possible.
It's hard to bolt to the NFL when you cant even get on the field.

And didnt he get a million when he came out early? Theres a difference between family money and my money.

It's hard to bolt to the NFL when you cant even get on the field.

And didnt he get a million when he came out early? Theres a difference between family money and my money.
Not when you’re 18 yrs old.

Worst case is a few rich programs dominate a couple of divisions. Everyone else gets back to the idea that state titles aren't what the sport is about.
It's about competition. Competition is striving to be the best. Being the best is winning titles.

Possibly, but I always try to remember that the lessons that are important in life were taught to me just as much in our 2-8 season as in our 9-1 season.
so nice to see what I have been preaching forever, is put forth by a true fan of high school football. the values of loyalty, commitment, never quitting in the face of adversity, teamwork, etc. are probably more well taught when the team is losing, than when the team is winning.