Concerts. 2021 and beyond.

KISS was nice and loud last night at the Huntington Center in Toledo. The wife and I enjoyed it (her a little more when Paul Stanley was 10 feet from her).

No mask required, no proof of vaccine needed, and no negative test needed to be shown.

Went to the Wonderbus festival in Columbus this past weekend and had a fun time. Nice little festival with the focus being multi-generational and there were plenty of families along with a wide variety of concert goers just happy to see live music again. Staff did a great job and I had no complaints with regards to the logistics and it was refreshing to see security without a heavy hand, Elevation Festivals does a solid job. Performance reviews :

Saturday-Power pop music focus:
  • Grandson: Arrived halfway through the set, nothing great but not bad either. **
  • Band Camino: Solid set and probably the most "rock" of the day's acts. Got the crowd going and folks were giving the energy back. Musically strong with some great guitar work punched by '80s synth sound. I would not buy a ticket to see them headline but I could see them build a career. ***
  • AJR: Best act of the weekend. Not my kind of music, upbeat peppy pop music, but the tunes were very strong and the crowd was way into it. Musically good with a live trumpet player that was the star of the sound. A lot of kids singing and dancing with their parents as well as 20 something women with white claws in hand just having the time of their lives again. Tons of energy going both ways. This is what live music is all about. ****
  • Kesha: Not a a train wreck but basically sucked. I get the Cher like act but she did a bad job of pulling it off. Tunes are not my cup of tea at all and she had no where near the connection that AJR had with the crowd other than all the gay men. Voice was screechy and her banter was nothing but a bunch of expletives, I hate when acts call the crowd M-fers. The worst part is she bent over facing away from the crowd and grabbed her ankles; told everyone to take a picture. She was also proud they might get to see her bung hole. The stream of parents with kids leaving was very noticeable after this bit. *
Sunday- Adult rock focus:
  • Black Pumas: Up and coming retro soul act that played a fine set, along with Wilco very professional with arguably the best musicianship of the weekend. Lead singer had a great voice and did a good job of engaging the crowd which was decidedly much older than the previous day. Very good tunes also and I can see this band go places. One of the bands I really wanted to see and they didn't disappoint. I would buy a headliner ticket to see them. ***1/2
  • Grouplove: Went on after a 30 minute weather delay and singer announced it was their 1st show post Covid, it showed. Heavy alternative vibe to most of their tunes and rough sound, especially the second vocalist struggled all set with pitch. Some fans that went to see them dealt with the issues but not much connection. Give them a couple more shows and hopefully things get better. **
  • Wilco: Primary reason I bought the ticket and they were fine. Third time seeing them; I have to admit they are much better as a headliner and I didn't have to deal with all the casual fans that didn't get this band's nuances. Nels Cline is one of the best guitarists out there and he was in fine form on Sunday adding some great work. The left over youngsters didn't get it though and many left half way through the set. A shame because they played wonderfully and professionally; showed why they were a headliner unlike Kesha. ****

I guess after we have a few of these ninnies who are required vaccines or negative tests sell about 30-40% less than they could, they'll wake up. This makes no sense at all. Wonder if the concert promoters and musicians get a government kickback if they cancel due to covid?

Saw a couple shows the past week:

• Brothers Osborne: 2nd time seeing them and they didn't disappoint. Played at Jacob's Pavilion and I love this venue, just the right size at 5,000 seats next to the river and fully covered so if it rains you stay dry. Fun more rock like show than country and the majority of the audience was on their feet the entire time singing and dancing. Played everything you wanted to hear and the musicianship was top notch, especially the lead guitarist brother. Only down sides were sound quality, muddy sound that was heavy on drums and had trouble hearing the vocals, and the recently out of the closets Brother did a 5 minute speech about finding your self or something like that. Will see them again when I can. ***1/2
  • Dead & Company: Sixth time seeing Dead & Co show and one of the better ones. Played at Blossom and the place was packed for a Tuesday evening with a sold out pavilion and not much space left on the lawn. A good couple thousand never left the lot too and partied at the Shakedown Street vending area, made for some fun but all the lots were filled so folks were again parking on the side of the road which lead to logistics issues leaving. The band played very well, in particular John Mayer has really found his groove with the musical cannon, and Bob Weir sung well and looked in great shape for being 73 years old and having done copious amounts of LSD when he was in his youth. Rest of the band was locked in and the Heads were happy to be back at live shows. ****

A lot of chatter about this debut Album from Yebba, she has that dreamy Suzanne Vega like voice that has critics drooling. In a couple years she went from social media sensation to in demand featured back up singer to her own album with Mark Ronson and Questlove producing. Being told to keep an eye on this lady>

Wife and I were set to see Alanis Morissette last year. She's her favorite artist but has never been to one of her shows. Kinda sucks that the show moved from a July Friday to a September Wednesday. My wife being a teacher, the prior date would have been perfect.

Liz Phair and Garbage also on the bill is probably best opening act for a show I've ever seen.
Well we didn't get Liz Phair. That would have been awesome. She backed out in July. Not totally sure the reason, but I've heard she's a big germophobe and with cases rising, well, you know...

So we get Cat Power in her place. Eh, funeral piano music. Not my cup o' tea.

Garbage rawked. Boomed all the hits and then some. Plenty of crowd work. Shirley Manson in her mid-50s is as charismatic as a new artist in their 20s. Can't ask for much more out of an opener. 9.5/10

Alanis performed a competent, by the numbers show. Did the job, but didn't totally blow it out of the water. People have been debating on the Alanis subreddit whether she's lip syncing on this tour, so I was on the lookout. I'm no sound engineer, but I have to think a lot must be lost when you hold the microphone almost two full feet from your lips. Watch this around the 2:30 mark and you tell me:

But then she messed up the lyrics to "Hand in my Pocket" and starts giggling with no sign of a backing track. So I don't know. 7/10

Anyone missing shows due the venue requiring a vax card for entry? Both Natalies in Columbus were quick to jump on that ship. Then a short while later I saw that Express Live does too, which I’m assuming means all Promo West venues.
The Mrs. went to a show at Express Live last night. Her understanding is that the performer dictates whether a vax card is needed for entry. In her case, she needed it. The ironic part was that after checking her card, they barely thumbed through her bag. She told them she had a blanket for the lawn, and they were just like, "Oh, cool." Still some loopholes in the total security protocol there. :ROFLMAO:

Going to see Pat Benatar in Troy on the 30th.

Just pulled up a few recent videos. I am really looking forward to this!!!!!!!!!!!

The Mrs. went to a show at Express Live last night. Her understanding is that the performer dictates whether a vax card is needed for entry. In her case, she needed it. The ironic part was that after checking her card, they barely thumbed through her bag. She told them she had a blanket for the lawn, and they were just like, "Oh, cool." Still some loopholes in the total security protocol there. :ROFLMAO:

I saw the venue announced it. Maybe it changed.

Luckily Kiss on Dayton got canceled a few weeks ago as I was gone for a bit. Now 17 Oct!

Guns and roses next Thursday in Columbus!
Cannot freaking wait.

Anyone go to slaughter and vixen in Versailles on 11 Sept? I couldn't go but wanted to...

Stones played their first concert since Charlie Watts passed, a private affair for Robert Kraft at Gillette Stadium. A traditional Stones stadium set list they have been playing for the past 10 years or so, the big news is they sound checked a couple new tunes to honor Charlie: Memory Motel and Shine a Light. Both would be great additions to the setlist>

In the I think it's time to hang it up category... Reports out of England have not been kind for the first stop of the Genesis tour. Phil Collins appears very frail and the visuals of him in what is basically an office chair scooting around stage are not good. It has not been confirmed but there are also reports that some of the back up singers are shadowing his vocals in case he cannot make it through parts of a song. Phil should have hung it up and called it a day, not sure this is the last memory Genesis fans wanted of their favorite band.

phil-colllins11.jpeg

Had a blast at the GNR last night.
Fell assbackwards into a very easy and enjoyable night.

Parked at the OSU baseball field and like 300 ft from the entrance into the Schott. Was there early and caught a few innnings of the OSU intrasquad game that appeared to be a scout only event with about 30+ big league teams in attendance.

The section I wanted to scout out that was pretty much empty was right by the gate I entered. Had a whole row to myself on the side of the stage in like row 18.

Was a blast.

Thought they sounded better than in 2018. They truly do a fantastic job in extending out their songs, adding more to them, but not changing it to the tune of ruining it. That truly is an art.

Mammoth, with Wolfgang Van Halen opened. They had a good sound, but WVH.....eh. His voice seems to......pretty with not enough gravel or uniqueness for the rock game. In short...he needs to be more Rock, loud, brash and a DGAF attitude.

May hit up Ace and Alice next week and it looks like Kiss in October

Silversun Pickups at the new venue in Newport, KY November 6. Wanted to see them for several years if they came by, but I always miss them or have a conflict. I'm in this time. Anyone been to the Ovation yet?

Bob Dylan and his band are swinging through Ohio this fall:

11/5> Cleveland
11/6> Columbus
11/9> Cincinnati

Last time Bob was out playing live shows in 2019 he was in good shape and playing mostly his own tunes and not the Great American Songbook which was a thing for him in the mid 2010s. He was only playing guitar for a couple songs, primarily electric piano, but it worked from the reviews. Not sure what he will do this fall but I would suspect some of his 2020 album Rough and Rowdy Ways. including his 17 minute hit Murder Most Foul will be on the setlist.

IIs Omar allowed to attend or is it just elder games he cant attend?

Think hitting up Steven Adler in Versailles Saturday....looks like he'll be playing all the good early GNR

Big night at The Pit this Thursday, Darius Rucker and 14,500 fa

Saw Steven Adler of GNR and Lilliac in Versailles last night.

Lilliac was awesome. That chick can wale. Did a couple of Dio songs and we're spot on.

Adler's band? Subpar. He begged for attention and applause between each song. The lead singer sounded like the cross between a prebussant teen, axle and Steven Tyler.
Was entertained a little simple because I love GNR but they were a cheap cover band. Maybe I was spoiled because I saw the real deal GNR 10 days prior.

I'd pay to see Lilliac again, but not Adler.

He also pissed people off by canceling the meet and greet house before and not showing up with the band afterwards at the picture/ merch table as they said he left already.

First time at BMI in Versailles
..will be back!

Red Hot Chili Peppers announced a stadium/ballpark tour next year:

No Ohio dates, they are playing Detroit on Sunday, 8/14.

Also John Frusciante is back in the saddle playing guitar.

Last edited:
Went to see Marshall Tucker Band and Lynyrd Skynyrd Saturday and Riverbend. I believe this was the first show at Riverbend since the vaccination requirements went into effect on October 4. I would say the place was about 60% full. I saw Skynyrd and Hank there in 2019 and it was a packed house, so I'm sure that Hank being there made a difference, but I definitely think the vaccination requirement kept some folks away. On top of that, it was not a great show. For whatever reason, Skynyrd skipped several of their big hits (Gimme Three Steps, Curtis Loew, Whiskey Rock and Roller) and Marshall Tucker Band isn't really the Marshall Tucker Band anymore, just a bunch of younger dudes carrying the music for the older dudes. It seemed like their were 15 people on the stage playing instruments lol. Still had a good time, but somewhat of a letdown compared to the show they put on in 2019.

Went to see Marshall Tucker Band and Lynyrd Skynyrd Saturday and Riverbend. I believe this was the first show at Riverbend since the vaccination requirements went into effect on October 4. I would say the place was about 60% full. I saw Skynyrd and Hank there in 2019 and it was a packed house, so I'm sure that Hank being there made a difference, but I definitely think the vaccination requirement kept some folks away. On top of that, it was not a great show. For whatever reason, Skynyrd skipped several of their big hits (Gimme Three Steps, Curtis Loew, Whiskey Rock and Roller) and Marshall Tucker Band isn't really the Marshall Tucker Band anymore, just a bunch of younger dudes carrying the music for the older dudes. It seemed like their were 15 people on the stage playing instruments lol. Still had a good time, but somewhat of a letdown compared to the show they put on in 2019.
I was there too. Had a group of 5 of us, and each and everyone printed a negative test off the internet, then edited using Adobe. The people checking these at the gate could care less!