Ask The Ump?

I agree with AS12 that roster batting is not something we should be doing in the spring, but I'd add that at the Varsity level only.

To me, in JV or frosh (or JV "B" as they insist on calling it in certain parts of the state), I'd be in favor of roster batting. The NFHS is always expressing their concern about participation in baseball. This is a way to increase that. Defensive subbing could be the same in that each player could be removed defensively once, still bat, and then re-enter into the field on defense. Once a hitter who did not start defensively enters to play the field and is then removed (via 're-entry' of the starter) they can only hit for the rest of the game. Sounds antithetical, but it's sub-varsity so let's support the kids playing.

Also sub-varsity games should be 6 innings in my mind. Sure, larger schools are not afflicted, but some of the smaller schools who barely hang on with a roster should be permitted to play 6 outside of the "mutual agreement to end the game" rule. Every other HS sport generally plays reduced time the lower you go, so why not baseball? I've seen many, many JV teams fold in our area of the state due to low participation. This might help. But the NFHS is slow to change because many will argue "this isn't real baseball."
I was going to bring this up earlier today actually about allowing everyone to re enter once.

I was going to propose narrowing it to an emergency catcher but I would be ok with it on the JV/FROSH level.
There were many a time we had to wait for that catcher to sub in later in the game to pinch hit because he was the last line of defense. We didnt want to use him earlier in a game as a PH and burn him, and if the get hung out to dry because of an injury later in the game.

I know one option would be put that catcher in and if he gets inured re enter the starter, but I am all for the best players to play and not sit a half of a game but there were times we would have liked to have him PH in the 3rd or so some place in the lineup but held him back.

I would only propose the catcher provision at the varsity level.

HOWEVER>..I believe the participation levels have decreased for a different reason (locally there are some DIII and bigger teams who coudlnt field a JV team some on nights the varsity played let alone a FROSH team).

I feel the participation levels are decreasing because of the travel ball an immense cost, travel and time involved at the lower levels and it is running off a lot of kids. With so many kids fleeing the local rec leagues, those rec leagues are becoming less and less relevent.

Luckily my home town the town/rec baseball program is a vibrant as ever and it shows at the HS level with a fully stocked FROSH, JV and Varsity team. This happens mostly because pretty much all the kids play locally first , and some do branch out for extra teams but not at the cost of alienating their rec teams.

In almost every sport I’ve seen people talk about how participation is down.

I believe this is mainly due to early specialization. Gone are the days where most kids did soccer or football in the fall, basketball or wrestling in the winter, and baseball or track in the spring.

Now everyone focuses on one sport, so if hypothetically you had 100,000 kids playing 2-3 sports, you had 200-300k “participants”, now you have 100k

And for the handful of kids still doing multiple sports beyond the age of 10, you have others you lose to E-Sports, video games and/or burnout

Batter swings, misses pitch, and moves over home plate while runner steals 1st to 2nd base. Catcher tries to throw and makes contact with batter. Should the base runner be called out?

Batter swings, misses pitch, and moves over home plate while runner steals 1st to 2nd base. Catcher tries to throw and makes contact with batter. Should the base runner be called out?
- If there are two outs, the batter is out.

- If an attempt to put a runner out at 1st, 2nd, or 3rd base, is unsuccessful due to batter interference, the ball is dead immediately, the batter is out and all runners return to the base(s) occupied at the time of the pitch. If the pitch was strike three and the interference prevented a double play, then two outs may ne ruled.

- If the interference occurs at home plate with less than 2 outs, then the runner is out. (If the runner is tagged out, the ball remains live and the interference is ignored).

Thanks, I have watched a team do this a couple time like they are being coached to do it so they get in the way of the catcher. So if the catcher steps forward staying out of their batters box and makes contact with batter who is out of their batters box, this should be called interference?

Likely.
Saw that exact call week ago. Batter totally interfered with the throw.

Thanks, I have watched a team do this a couple time like they are being coached to do it so they get in the way of the catcher. So if the catcher steps forward staying out of their batters box and makes contact with batter who is out of their batters box, this should be called interference?
Awful coaching.

If it happed just like you typed.....

Interference

There is a fine line between gamesmanship and bush league.
Personally, this would fall into bush league.

Just like coaches who teach cutting third base short on a squeeze/bunt play with there are runners on 2nd and 3rd. I knew a coach who bragged about it back in the day. I told an umpire to look out for it and by golly, he did and called the runner out from second who did so.

Mr Allsports......missing a base is that an automatic/delayed call or is it appealable?

They worse thing they can do is alter their throwing motion to avoid the contact from the batter who steps over the plate. Continue to play as if he is not there and when contact is made he can get the call. If he goes out of his way to avoid the contact then he runs more of a risk of the umpire missing it.
Thanks, I have two son that do so some catching. We are having some conversations about how to deal with it.

Mr Allsports......missing a base is that an automatic/delayed call or is it appealable?
Defense must appeal this.

I've watched countless runners miss bases, including home plate by a considerable amount without appeals from their opponent.

I have watched runners cut 3rd base on purpose as well..... Nothing I can do on the field about it until it's appealed..... That said, I have on more than one occasion filed a game report and sent it to the powers that be

Defense must appeal this.

I've watched countless runners miss bases, including home plate by a considerable amount without appeals from their opponent.

I have watched runners cut 3rd base on purpose as well..... Nothing I can do on the field about it until it's appealed..... That said, I have on more than one occasion filed a game report and sent it to the powers that be
Thought so.
This umpire didnt wait for the appeal, but we did catch it anyways.

My ole ball coach, a legend in Ohio HS baseball, always said that the appeals process is there to ensure you as the other team are paying attention!
I always had thought it odd because if the umpire saw something.....why not call it?

but anyways...thanks for the response. I imagine ill have many more scenarios this summer when the Fleecing League starts.

I always had thought it odd because if the umpire saw something.....why not call it?
For a very short period of time in the late 90's runners were declared out by umpires once they saw them miss a base.

It, as predicted by umpires, was a disaster......

Thankfully after one year, the rules committee rescinded the rule, restoring the responsibility for detecting a missed base to the defense.

Does a player have to wear a protective helmet while in the bullpen watching for foul balls as relief pitcher is warming up?

Runner on 2nd base
SS and 2b both holding the kid close. SS is moving in front of and behind the runner , ball is hit in play and runner makes contact with the fielder.

Is this Obstruction or is this runners interference? I have seen it called both ways this year. (not at the HS varsity level)

Runner on 2nd base
SS and 2b both holding the kid close. SS is moving in front of and behind the runner , ball is hit in play and runner makes contact with the fielder.

Is this Obstruction or is this runners interference? I have seen it called both ways this year. (not at the HS varsity level)
Nobody can be sure absent video....

That said, the rule puts the responsibility on the runner to avoid the fielder making a play on the ball. If I am the offensive coach I'm having the runner break for third the moment the SS steps in his runner's path to third base while the pitcher has the ball....

Now you have obstruction.

Runner on 2nd base

Nobody can be sure absent video....

That said, the rule puts the responsibility on the runner to avoid the fielder making a play on the ball.
How about this...

A good infielder will generally field his position moving forward, the poor ones let the ball to come to them.
In the instance the fielder is coming in to get the ball like a normal play one could conceive that the fielder initiated contact.

How about this...

A good infielder will generally field his position moving forward, the poor ones let the ball to come to them.
In the instance the fielder is coming in to get the ball like a normal play one could conceive that the fielder initiated contact.
On a batted ball, the fielder has the right to field the ball unhindered whether or not he waits or charges.....

If it's not a batted ball, the fielder cannot be in that position.

Coach had only tens guys and used a DH in the 9th spot.

The batter in the 3rd spot gets injured. Is this coach screwed in that he has no one to hit in the 3rd spot now?

Seems like some very experienced people on this board.

After 5 years back into umpiring, I have the opportunity to work some big HS games the next several weeks. Any advice? I will take the time to enjoy it, that's for sure.

Very true. Thanks. A great reminder from good veterans when I got into umpiring. Being a former player and coach has helped me with this greatly.
The only time I ever talked to an umpire after a game, as a fan, was a few summers ago. It was probably a good 15 min after the game as he was waiting for the next one and I told him i was going to give him some advice. The look on his face was 'oh geesh...this guy'.

He did not do a bad job at all in the game, but there was a constant squabble between him, coaches and some fans. My advice, of which I was not going to talk to him but I felt he would benefit, was to not engage the fans. That only leads to more troubles.

What started it was just a comment between two fans about a strike call. Because of the short backstop, he heard it and turned around and made a comment.
That opened a flood gate for the whole game and he was a punching bag.

I am not an ump, but I am a rules guy. After playing 200+ varsity level games, coaching nearly 300+ varsity age games and attending hundreds more I felt that advice of not engaging the fans was one taht could help him because you will ALWAYS have fans comment on calls.

but i digress.

and just remember...fans arent there to watch you.....

That is enough from the peanut gallery....now the experts can comment...

Seems like some very experienced people on this board.

After 5 years back into umpiring, I have the opportunity to work some big HS games the next several weeks. Any advice? I will take the time to enjoy it, that's for sure.
1) Enjoy it...this is a “side job” for 99.9% of umpires, meaning it’s not something you have to do. Everyone has different reasons for doing it, but if you don’t enjoy yourself, it isn’t worth it. Enjoy the atmosphere, intensity, passion from the kids and fans

2) Speaking of passion, remember that the majority of people don’t know the rules very well and every close call (bang bang) will upset half the people at the field. So as Voice said, have rabbit ears and don’t react or answer any questions fans throw your way (where did that miss? Did you see him tag up?)

3) Slow down...timing and tracking on plate, timing and wait on the bases. As intensity ratchets up, it’s natural human tendency to amp up too. Stay calm, focus on your responsibilities and not the score, how loud it is, etc.

4) Be humble, if you make a mistake, learn from it. If something weird happens, even if no one questions it, find the rule between games and make sure in case it happens again.

Example: had a kid lick his fingers while on the rubber. Immediately called it, 2 of us said balk, 1 said ball in our meeting, coach said it was balk while on rubber, kid was advanced, no one argued even a little. Looked up the tile between games of DH, supposed to be a ball, never a balk. I’ll never miss that again.

5) And most important, have fun

The only time I ever talked to an umpire after a game, as a fan, was a few summers ago. It was probably a good 15 min after the game as he was waiting for the next one and I told him i was going to give him some advice. The look on his face was 'oh geesh...this guy'.

He did not do a bad job at all in the game, but there was a constant squabble between him, coaches and some fans. My advice, of which I was not going to talk to him but I felt he would benefit, was to not engage the fans. That only leads to more troubles.

What started it was just a comment between two fans about a strike call. Because of the short backstop, he heard it and turned around and made a comment.
That opened a flood gate for the whole game and he was a punching bag.

I am not an ump, but I am a rules guy. After playing 200+ varsity level games, coaching nearly 300+ varsity age games and attending hundreds more I felt that advice of not engaging the fans was one taht could help him because you will ALWAYS have fans comment on calls.

but i digress.

and just remember...fans arent there to watch you.....

That is enough from the peanut gallery....now the experts can comment...
The OHSAA has had some Umpires put out videos this year instead of meeting in person locally. I think the men who did these, did a great job. The latest one was really good as it talked about the "it" factor. Developing trust. Consistency. Being a great crew member, etc...

The one quote mentioned that was reinforced for me was, "Work every game as if it's the biggest game."... No matter if you are working a game for two great varsity teams or a low level JV/Freshmen game, for those kids, coaches and parents, that's their big game for the day. It's just a little thing I remind myself as I am getting my gear together before heading to the field.

The OHSAA has had some Umpires put out videos this year instead of meeting in person locally. I think the men who did these, did a great job. The latest one was really good as it talked about the "it" factor. Developing trust. Consistency. Being a great crew member, etc...

The one quote mentioned that was reinforced for me was, "Work every game as if it's the biggest game."... No matter if you are working a game for two great varsity teams or a low level JV/Freshmen game, for those kids, coaches and parents, that's their big game for the day. It's just a little thing I remind myself as I am getting my gear together before heading to the field.
My son is 14 and started umpiring last year at age 13. Took him to the NCAA umpiring camp with me in Michigan.

Told him three things he needs to always remember:

1) You are being paid $25-30 per hour cash under the table. You better be there to work and give it your all. No other job in the “real world” can you make that much and get away with being lazy (not moving from behind plate, don’t clean and press clothes/shoes, etc)

2) Mouth closed, ears open. You don’t have to take everyone’s advice (other umps) but you will listen and not argue

3) Every game is important to the kids playing it. So after doing a 14u championship game (which he did), maybe a 9U game seems “dumb”, but to those kids, it’s everything for those 2 hours. They deserve to have good umps too. The worst that can happen if you treat every game equally, even the “lower than you are qualified for games”, is you walk away with everyone saying “that was one of the best umps we have ever had”.

My son is 14 and started umpiring last year at age 13. Took him to the NCAA umpiring camp with me in Michigan.

Told him three things he needs to always remember:

1) You are being paid $25-30 per hour cash under the table. You better be there to work and give it your all. No other job in the “real world” can you make that much and get away with being lazy (not moving from behind plate, don’t clean and press clothes/shoes, etc)

2) Mouth closed, ears open. You don’t have to take everyone’s advice (other umps) but you will listen and not argue

3) Every game is important to the kids playing it. So after doing a 14u championship game (which he did), maybe a 9U game seems “dumb”, but to those kids, it’s everything for those 2 hours. They deserve to have good umps too. The worst that can happen if you treat every game equally, even the “lower than you are qualified for games”, is you walk away with everyone saying “that was one of the best umps we have ever had”.
Love seeing the young kids get into umpiring. Our little leagues often have HS kids doing the games. Most of the coaches realize it and do not harp on them too much and the park director is always around for the games to ensure it runs smoothly.

I just hope the young kids get good mentoring.

JH football game at Urbana a couple years ago. A kid was shadowing the sideline official which I thought was cool. Later in the game he was allowing him to spot the ball, etc.
But then at the end of the game. Third and long, winning team has the ball. Run play, coach yells "holding, where's the flag". The adult umpire looks at the HC, throws the flag and says 'here is your flag".

and calls him for unsportsmanlike. Auto first down, seals the game. Now I was standing right there, heard and seen it all and personally thought it was HORRIBLE example for that young kid shadowing him!

but we better get back to topics or Mr. A will be mad at us so i will pose a question.

Mr. A. For NFHS rules, on a dropped third strike is there a time the batter "gives himself up" and not allowed to run to first OTHER than taking his helmet off and/or entering the dugout?

I have seen umpires allow the batter run to first any time before entering the dugout/taking helmet off and some who call him out after he takes a prudent number of steps to the dugout....