Wuhan Coronavirus epidemic spreads from China to US

lotr10

When covid-19 deaths are analysed by age, America is an outlier
American casualties tend to be younger than European ones, which has grim implications
View attachment 8073

Three points on this article:

1) Americans have a lot of underlining medical conditions particularly diabetes & obesity that make them more vulnerable.

2) Look closely at the first graph you posted. Where do they get the "to many to soon" headline from? The slope of US deaths appears to be less steep then that for the major European country's. This indicates that we did a better job of mitigation and flattening the curve.

3) Funny how they claim that a small difference in the number of younger Americans dying with covid will lead to "grim implications". I would suggest that a far greater # of deaths among young Americans will be caused by the shut down. This will have far worse implications for our future. One of the key arguments AGAINST shutting down is the terrible toll it will take on younger Americans.

lotr10

You can’t be serious. More cases does lead to more hospitalizations and deaths than there would be otherwise. The improvements in treatment and the infections of younger people will lower the death rate but make no mistake, more people will go to the hospital and die than otherwise would have if they had not been infected. To argue anything else if ridiculous.
And do you think that continuing the shut down while providing exemptions to mass gatherings for certain political causes was actually going to PERMANENTLY reduce the # of infections? All it would have done is stretch out the time until we hit the same # of infections and deaths.

And since our hospitals and health care system is not in danger of being overwhelmed it's better to reopen, take the infection hit and get to herd immunity or a vaccine. At least in this way we avoid the massive collateral damage of the shut don. Collateral damage that you and others always forget to include.

lotr10

Of all the lies you've posted on this topic Harry his might be the worst. Tens of thousands of MORE deaths. Really? In spite of the virus weakening and not being very dangerous among younger, healthier people? So had we continued the shut down, while still allowing mass gatherings for the right political causes, we would have prevented these extra infections from EVER happening? Is that what this moron is suggesting in his tweet?

And of course shut downs have zero cost. No collateral damage to see here folks just move along.

SayMyName

You can’t be serious. More cases does lead to more hospitalizations and deaths than there would be otherwise. The improvements in treatment and the infections of younger people will lower the death rate but make no mistake, more people will go to the hospital and die than otherwise would have if they had not been infected. To argue anything else if ridiculous.
Kind of like if people are exposed to the flu and die right?

lotr10

For those that want to get a 2nd opinion on mask wearing here's an article written by a brain surgeon.

Seems to me that it's always a good idea to get a 2nd opinion on any medical procedure. And given how wrong the CDC and various State Health Departments have been about everything related to covid a 2nd opinion is mandated here.

lotr10

Please keep comparing this to the flu. :ROFLMAO:
What else would you compare it to? The Black Plague or Ebola?

You are aware that most of the mitigation efforts undertaken against ciovid19 came directly from what we do to fight the flu. In the absence of solid data on the covid19 the flu makes for a good surrogate.

The flu is also a highly contagious virus that kills people every year. Comparing it's virulence & progression over the decades to covid19 is a great way to sharpen and attenuate our response to covid19. It provides all important perspective on how we handle this outbreak.

utsherman

What else would you compare it to? The Black Plague or Ebola?

You are aware that most of the mitigation efforts undertaken against ciovid19 came directly from what we do to fight the flu. In the absence of solid data on the covid19 the flu makes for a good surrogate.

The flu is also a highly contagious virus that kills people every year. Comparing it's virulence & progression over the decades to covid19 is a great way to sharpen and attenuate our response to covid19. It provides all important perspective on how we handle this outbreak.
I wouldn't compare it to anything, as it's a completely new virus. Drawing direct comparisons between 2 diseases, despite mortality statistics being collected by different methods, will always provide inaccurate information. But that seems to be the flavor of choice on this board.

SC10EHS15

I wouldn't compare it to anything, as it's a completely new virus. Drawing direct comparisons between 2 diseases, despite mortality statistics being collected by different methods, will always provide inaccurate information. But that seems to be the flavor of choice on this board.
You could probably compare it to SARS to since it's basically just a new, more easily spread version of that.

lotr10

It's a unique virus but not a unique class of virus. Humans have been dealing with coronovirus for a long time.

The key element of covid19 that justifies a comparison to the flu virus is that it's community spread, relatively non-lethal and can be neutralized by many of the same methods we neutralize the flu virus.

SayMyName

Um, what's my narrative relating to a new virus? I can't wait to hear the answer. 👍
Keeping everyone inside, the economy down, and mail in ballots. You need to read the Left playbook. It is the topic dujour after the other attempts on Trump have failed. The best reason is to keep the feeble, senile guy in the basement.

utsherman

Keeping everyone inside, the economy down, and mail in ballots. You need to read the Left playbook. It is the topic dujour after the other attempts on Trump have failed. The best reason is to keep the feeble, senile guy in the basement.
I thought we were talking about COVID-19? I mean, that's what I was discussing. But I see you want to share conspiracy theories now? <yawn>

SayMyName

I thought we were talking about COVID-19? I mean, that's what I was discussing. But I see you want to share conspiracy theories now? <yawn>
We are and those are reasons everyone on the Left is losing their minds....Again keep up or I'll have Harry try to explain it to you.

ProV1

And do you think that continuing the shut down while providing exemptions to mass gatherings for certain political causes was actually going to PERMANENTLY reduce the # of infections? All it would have done is stretch out the time until we hit the same # of infections and deaths.

And since our hospitals and health care system is not in danger of being overwhelmed it's better to reopen, take the infection hit and get to herd immunity or a vaccine. At least in this way we avoid the massive collateral damage of the shut don. Collateral damage that you and others always forget to include.
You have now said two completely different things. After claiming that the infection rise has not led to more hospitalization and death, you now spin to say that it is better to just get the death over with sooner rather than later. You are a hypocritical fraud who has been wrong for months on this subject.

winbypin

You have now said two completely different things. After claiming that the infection rise has not led to more hospitalization and death, you now spin to say that it is better to just get the death over with sooner rather than later. You are a hypocritical fraud who has been wrong for months on this subject.
I love the unintended irony.

lotr10

You're losing your edge in the GOTCHA game ProV. I've always said that more cases will lead to more deaths in the absolute. The important parameter was whether the % of new people getting infected who die is going up or going down. Ditto for hospitalizations. Of course with hospitalization you're dealing with the profit motive which is causing many of them to lower their covid10 entrance criteria. But that's another discussion.

My point about your idiotic post was that maintaining the lock down was not needed to flatten the curve and peserve our hospital infrastructure as that has already been achieved. The only outcomes from maintaining the lock down are:

* Slow down the rate of infection but in the end the same number of infections and deaths will occur.

* Create collateral damage on a colossal scale.

utsherman

We are and those are reasons everyone on the Left is losing their minds....Again keep up or I'll have Harry try to explain it to you.
I'm not losing my mind, but thanks for the concern. Aside from genuine empathy for those who have lost jobs and/or businesses, been furloughed, suffered financially, and have been medically (physically/mentally) impacted, I've been able to navigate things without whining, complaining, and spinning political conspiracy theories. My current favorite around here is that because I wear a mask when it makes sense, the boxcars are coming for us all! <stands and slow claps>

SayMyName

'm not losing my mind, but thanks for the concern. Aside from genuine empathy for those who have lost jobs and/or businesses, been furloughed, suffered financially, and have been medically (physically/mentally) impacted, I've been able to navigate things without whining, complaining, and spinning political conspiracy theories.
Then congrats to you. You may have just evolved from the Left (y)