WRC should consider 10 teams (again)

Bedford has applied in the recent past to the Suburban and the Southwestern Conference. The SWC is a west side league. That should tell you Bedford desperately wants out of the LEL.

I'd like to see Bedford and Maple Heights added. Thoughts?

I would stick with eight. It looks like a solid league with good geography. As for ten? The SWC expanded to ten over on the westside, and they went with a true round robin schedule with nine conference games from Week 2-10. Only Week 1 was non-league. My fear was that it would hamper the league from getting more than a couple of teams in the playoffs. Five made it. Half the league, including a team in D1. Still, I would stick with eight...unless for some crazy reason they want to follow the SWC model. Even if they do, I would look for better fits than Bedford, and especially Maple.

My reasons:

1. Bridge the enrollment gap between Chardon and the rest of the WRC. Bedford and Maple fall in the middle, but closer to Chardon's.
2. Reduced travel for Kenston. Both these schools are closer geographically to the Lake County schools than Kenston is.
3. Both provide quality basketball and football programs, which would benefit the WRC. Especially in basketball to better prepare the WRC for tournament games against programs like Mentor and Solon.
4. Provides a buffer in case two of the smaller schools decide to leave to be big fish in smaller ponds.
5. Bedford and Maple need out of the LEL and have already established rivalries with Mayfield, Brush, and even Kenston in some sports. A great story of of doing something for someone other than yourself...

Last edited:
None of those 8 schools will leave the WRC. It's the perfect league for all of them. And a school like Maple Heights will be there even if someone does leave. It's not like a league is looking to scoop them up as if they are in high demand...

Also have you been to Maple Heights lately? Not exactly a similar city to anyone in the WRC.

If, for some reason, they wanted two more, I would wait until Solon drops to D2 in football and go with them and Bedford. Solid programs and facilities. The smarter move, as was pointed out, is to stay with the current eight and if anyone decides to ever drop out...go after a Solon or Bedford to get back to eight. The SWC is at ten, and the plan is not to replace anyone who leaves unless the league drops to seven. Why? Because eight is an ideal number.

None of the schools in the WRC are going to want anything to do with Solon in football (except maybe Mayfield and occasionally South). Not a fit.

Plus Solon isn't going to be rushing to play Riverside, Chardon, Madison, Eastlake North, Brush etc in football.

None of the schools in the WRC are going to want anything to do with Solon in football (except maybe Mayfield and occasionally South). Not a fit.

Plus Solon isn't going to be rushing to play Riverside, Chardon, Madison, Eastlake North, Brush etc in football.

CJ said when Solon drops to D2. I don't see Solon continuing to play in the GCC as the only D2 school. The WRC or Suburban would be a better fit.

Neither would want anything to do with Solon. And Solon would want nothing to do with most of the wrc.

You guys can play fantasy hs leagues on a message board but you have to be logical in real life.

Last edited:
Neither would want anything to do with Solon. And Solon would want nothing to do with most of the wrc.

You guys can play fantasy hs leagues on a message board but you have to be logical in real life.

I completely disagree. Solon already has close OOC ties with Aurora, Twinsburg, and other schools in their back yards. When their enrollment drops to D2, it is to their benefit to seek out a league affiliation with less travel and equivalent enrollment numbers. I don't see them continuing an affiliation with west side schools that double their enrollment. The GCC consists of largest schools in NEO. There is no benefit for competition or travel to stay in the GCC if you're not one of the largest schools in NEO. It's not practical.

So what is your argument for them in the wrc? The answer is it makes absolutely no sense. So they are out

A lot of those suburban schools want nothing to do with Solon or they would have already been invited. They are barely bigger than some of those others already. This falling to d2 making them take Solon is bs. It's not going to be a huge difference from where Solon is now. Those teams just wanted less competition

And all the spots could be full in the suburban soon too

I don't think Solon is going anywhere for a while, and only after they are solidly D2 in football. The only way they would be in the WRC would be if a school dropped out. Solon, of course, has historic rivalries with Mayfield, Chardon and Kenston.

I don't see Solon continuing to play in the GCC as the only D2 school.

Why not? Solon is just a dozen or so kids above D2 now, and that didn't keep the Comets from winning a share of the GCC title last fall. Solon was D2 for years before moving up in '97 and the Comets still did just fine when matched up against D1 opponents. As long as the Comets are competitive, they should remain in the GCC. Tough competition forges a tough football program.

Solon spent 32 years in the Chagrin Valley Conference, 29 of which while Chardon was also a member. But that was two decades ago and I just don't how they're natural rivals nowadays.

Truthfully, if the WRC is hellbent on getting to 10 teams, Chagrin Falls and West Geauga seem like better overall fits. Sorry to beat a dead horse, but there are your #9 and #10 teams. They bridge the gap geographically with Kenston and their enrollment is in the ballpark although maybe a bit smaller than what the conference wants. But if Kenston or other WRC don't like the geography of the league, they shouldn't have agreed to this setup.

Solon is 4-2 against WRC teams in the past 3 years, 1-1 against South, 1-1 against Mayfield, and 2-0 against Kenston (one blowout and one 6 point game). They would certainly be the team to beat, but not unbeatable.

These decisions are often made with more in mind than competitive fit in football.

Solon is bigger than any of the 8 WRC schools, but not much bigger than the biggest ones.

Chardon and Solon played together in the CVC and were the top 2 teams along with Kenston the last several years of that league.

As someone stated, an 8 team conference is ideal. The 2 smallest schools in the WRC are Chardon and Kenston and they really don't have anywhere else to go, so I doubt there will be an opening any time soon.

Regarding Solon, Chardon, neighborhood rivalries, the old CVC and the new WRC:

Solon was a charter member of the CVC, which began play in 1964. Chardon joined the league (along with Aurora) in 1968. Solon and Chardon met in an OOC game in 1966, then played every year until Chardon left the CVC after the 1979 Football season. A vastly better Chardon program re-joined the CVC in 1983. Solon and Chardon both left the CVC when the bigger schools bolted after the 1995 season. The Comets dominated the Hilltoppers between 1966 and 1979. After Chardon returned in '83, they became a fierce rival of Solon's. I think it was Bennies'01 who noted that the Solon-Chardon game usually decided the CVC title in the years from '83 to '95.

The rivalry reached its zenith in 1996 when Chardon, ranked #1 in the Ohio AP Division 2 poll, went into Stewart Field and lost to the Comets, 31-21. The Toppers lost their stud QB to an injury in the first quarter.

Four weeks later, Solon and Chardon met in a 2nd round playoff rematch at Baldwin-Wallace. The Comets scored 10 points in the last 2:40 to pull out a 24-21 miracle in one of the most exciting HS games I've ever seen, to advance to the state semis. Just when Solon-Chardon became one of the best rivalries in NEO, it was over. The two schools moved on to different leagues, Solon went D1 and the Comets and Toppers have never played each other since that night at BW.

Solon once had great rivalries with Chagrin, West G, Kenston and Twinsburg. Aurora wasn't much of a rival in the old CVC days because the Greenmen were terrible back then. But time and size disparity have killed off hopes for rekindling anything with Chagrin or West G. Who knows? Kenston may again be an OOC opponent for Solon, but that six-point win occurred in a year in which Solon was down and Kenston had a strong team.

It looks as if our OOC rivalries with Twinsburg and Aurora will continue through 2018, at least.

I don't believe that Kenston, Chardon, Brush or North would be too anxious to compete with Solon for league titles. The Comets just aren't a good fit for the new WRC. Not now. Maybe not ever. I wish Mayfield and Hudson had joined the GCC with us instead of Medina and Elyria, but they're in conferences that ensure neighborhood rivalries with schools closer to their own size.

Times have changed. Solon has built rivalries with Mentor, Strongsville and Brunswick. We've got a burgeoning rivalry with Shaker. Euclid might become a rival, too.

I miss the old rivalries, but the new ones offer plenty of excitement.

Last edited:
Solon is 4-2 against WRC teams in the past 3 years, 1-1 against South, 1-1 against Mayfield, and 2-0 against Kenston (one blowout and one 6 point game). They would certainly be the team to beat, but not unbeatable.

These decisions are often made with more in mind than competitive fit in football.

Solon is bigger than any of the 8 WRC schools, but not much bigger than the biggest ones.

Chardon and Solon played together in the CVC and were the top 2 teams along with Kenston the last several years of that league.

As someone stated, an 8 team conference is ideal. The 2 smallest schools in the WRC are Chardon and Kenston and they really don't have anywhere else to go, so I doubt there will be an opening any time soon.

Suburban is another option for Kenston. A bit of a drive to some of the schools in the SL, but on average would it be any worst than the WRC?

If Solon does fall into D2 numbers, I would rather see them in Suburban Conf. but I have read they want no part of the Comets. :help:

CVC was one of the best conferences ever in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. So many great football games every week. Some of Solon's out of conference games in that era astounded bigger public's, and some privates also.

Except for a certain playoff game vs. Akron Buchtel one December. :eek:

If Solon does fall into D2 numbers, I would rather see them in Suburban Conf. but I have read they want no part of the Comets. :help:

CVC was one of the best conferences ever in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. So many great football games every week. Some of Solon's out of conference games in that era astounded bigger public's, and some privates also.

Except for a certain playoff game vs. Akron Buchtel one December. :eek:
I think it will be quite some time before Solon drops to D2 if ever. They are more than 60 boys over the current limit. There are about 20 Division 1 schools smaller than Solon and quite a few that they are within 10-20 boys of.

Check these numbers, Solon's boys population of Asiatics, Indians, Jewish, all driving up the academics excellence, but not the football ranking. When Solon plays Mentor, or Brunswick, or Strongsville, check the amount of players dressed, check the size of the players out on the field playing ofensive and defensive line.

WRC? Heck, maybe small privates scheduled.

None of those 8 schools will leave the WRC. It's the perfect league for all of them. And a school like Maple Heights will be there even if someone does leave. It's not like a league is looking to scoop them up as if they are in high demand...

Also have you been to Maple Heights lately? Not exactly a similar city to anyone in the WRC.
this. no need for ten teams. eight is ideal. great mix of teams!!

When I played at Barberton from 04-08 the WRC was one of the best leagues in the state, moving to a 10 team league or more will only strengthen the competition and make hs sports more exciting in the greater Cleveland area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk