Week 16 (Division VI State Championship): AP #3 Versailles (13-2) vs. AP #1 Kirtland (14-1)

Who wins?

• Kirtland by 17+

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Kirtland by 8-16

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Kirtland by 1-7

Votes: 19 29.7%
  • Versailles by 1-7

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • Versailles by 8-16

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Versailles by 17+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Kirtland in the MAC.........would dread making that drive to Kirtland! Delphos is far enough!
Should get the AD’s together & have Kirtland travel to a MAC school week 1, then a MAC school travels to Kirtland week 2. Then flip the next season. That way all teams share the dread of the long drive to & from, haha. I would recommend a neutral site, but playing in their respective stadiums would create the true MAC/Kirtland environment.

Call it the MACK invitational.

Last edited:
They are never the biggest - but they are all extremely strong, well conditioned and fundamentally solid. Ask a Garaway fan how good the line is. They were bigger across the board and the O Line dominated them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231126_180857_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20231126_180857_Google.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 46
This game will be two teams looking each other in the mirror. Both have extremely rich traditions & passionate fan bases. Both are considered small but mighty with their lines. Both have phenomenal team speed on each side of the ball. Both have state title experience & faced other team(s) also playing this weekend. Both love to establish the run with their brand of football. Both have ruthless defenses. Both have great playmakers.

Kirtland vs. the MAC Part 9 (TigerBall vs. Tiger LaVerde Part Deux) will be here soon, and I’m hoping for another classic like 2021.

Should get the AD’s together & have Kirtland travel to a MAC school week 1, then a MAC school travels to Kirtland week 2. Then flip the next season. That way all teams share the dread of the long drive to & from, haha. I would recommend a neutral site, but playing in their respective stadiums would create the true MAC/Kirtland environment.

Marion Local played Wapakoneta the first week the last three years. Week one is open unless an opponent has been found. In the 80's we played Gilmore Academy for two years...made the long trek up.

Or KMAC

That last matchup had a highlight on espn you got Mossed....
Forget if it was this Osborne or his brother.
It was this Osborne, Michael. He was the starting safety. Did not play much offense due to an injury earlier in the season. Plus he was only a sophomore on a loaded team. Played one offensive play in the State game. That's all it took.

It was this Osborne, Michael. He was the starting safety. Did not play much offense due to an injury earlier in the season. Plus he was only a sophomore on a loaded team. Played one offensive play in the State game. That's all it took.
Thought so.

Must be rhe Coldwater blood. His dad was a good Player for the cavs on some horrendous teams.

This is one of ‘those’ Kirtland teams- they graduated more than folks realized and are probably a year from being “That” team, but they are physical, sound & exceptionally coached as always.

Some will read too much from their Garaway win. It was VERY impressive but also another case of Tiger simply out coaching on of his peers. Do not think that will be the case this weekend.

Need an ice company to sponsor this game, will truly be a black&blue bowl.

What is Kirtland's record vs the MAC champ vs their record vs a MAC team? Seen this posted last year, Found it interesting.

What is Kirtland's record vs the MAC champ vs their record vs a MAC team? Seen this posted last year, Found it interesting.
vs. MAC Champ (1-3 record):
• 2012 vs. Coldwater; L, 9-10
• 2017 vs. Marion Local; L, 11-34
• 2018 vs. Marion Local; W, 16-7
• 2022 vs. Marion Local; L, 6-14

vs. MAC non-Champ (2-2 record):
• 2011. vs. Coldwater; W, 28-7
• 2014 vs. Minster; L, 42-46
• 2015 vs. Marion Local; W, 22-20
• 2021 vs. Versailles; L, 16-20

vs. MAC team (3-5 record):
• 2011 vs. Coldwater; W, 28-7

This is one of ‘those’ Kirtland teams- they graduated more than folks realized and are probably a year from being “That” team, but they are physical, sound & exceptionally coached as always.

Some will read too much from their Garaway win. It was VERY impressive but also another case of Tiger simply out coaching on of his peers. Do not think that will be the case this weekend.

Need an ice company to sponsor this game, will truly be a black&blue bowl.
What? https://www.news-herald.com/2023/08/14/kirtland-football-2023-season-preview/

According to this article K starts 15 srs. including punter and kicker. Now this was a projected starting lineup but Kirtland had 15 returning starters from last year according to the article, that is a good no. of returning players.

vs. MAC Champ (1-3 record):

vs. MAC non-Champ (2-2 record):
• 2011. vs. Coldwater; W, 28-7

vs. MAC team (3-5 record):
• 2011 vs. Coldwater; W, 28-7
Kirtlands record vs the MAC
Champ 1-3
2nd place 1-1
3rd place 1-1

Some of my favorite state championships to watch involve Kirtland. I enjoy watching their teams play, they often cross paths with MAC schools, and they've shown they are one of the few programs that can go toe to toe with the MAC. I expect this to be a lower scoring, defensive game, with the winner being the team that wins the trenches, and has the fewest turnovers. I'll go with:

Versailles 17
Kirtland 14

What? https://www.news-herald.com/2023/08/14/kirtland-football-2023-season-preview/

According to this article K starts 15 srs. including punter and kicker. Now this was a projected starting lineup but Kirtland had 15 returning starters from last year according to the article, that is a good no. of returning players.
No, you aren’t wrong. Some of those 15 guys are 2 way so that number is slightly inflated, but believe they lost some key folks from ‘22 that were overlooked at the beginning of the season (ie - vs Dalton week 1).

Versailles boys having last practice in town today. Senior boys getting close to taking their pads off for the last time. My son told me the other day, all those days playing football at recess and at my buddies houses......we pretended to be playing in the State Championship and now we are going to get our chance. 18 seniors who went to kindergarten together are on a mission vs Kirtland boys who also grew up together that are on their own mission.
Should be a good one!

Versailles boys having last practice in town today. Senior boys getting close to taking their pads off for the last time. My son told me the other day, all those days playing football at recess and at my buddies houses......we pretended to be playing in the State Championship and now we are going to get our chance. 18 seniors who went to kindergarten together are on a mission vs Kirtland boys who also grew up together that are on their own mission.
Should be a good one!
This is awesome. Thanks for posting.

Kinda makes me wish they’d move this particular game to a grass field so these 2 teams go out in an old school mud bowl for all the marbles.