Week #13, #3 Glenville vs. #2 Shelby

That's my thought. The difference between a running clock and keeping things respectable fall on how sound the defense opens up the game. Most of our 1st half defensive woes are a big TD run by the other team because they found a Boeing sized hole to run through. Those holes don't exist in the 2nd half, which is credit to the coaching staff for building during the game.

Whatever the outcome may be, the basketball team should be a fireworks show this year. Three starters are on the football team, so I'm hoping no one gets hurt. Not many farm towns come up with the alley oops and put back dunks like Shelby will be showcasing.

Why do people think Glenville is down compared to last year ? Because they have more losses ? Look at the teams they have played. IMG, Hoban and Avon is nothing to be ashamed of. They also had an injury to their QB. The Tarblooders are healthy and hungry. Shelby scored 71 last week and won't come close to scoring half of that this week. Remember the weather was not great and Glenville had 5 turnovers in that Van Wert game. This team now knows what it takes to win. You can prepare all you want but you will see the size, skill and speed difference once the ball is kicked off.

Why do people think Glenville is down compared to last year ? Because they have more losses ? Look at the teams they have played. IMG, Hoban and Avon is nothing to be ashamed of. They also had an injury to their QB. The Tarblooders are healthy and hungry. Shelby scored 71 last week and won't come close to scoring half of that this week. Remember the weather was not great and Glenville had 5 turnovers in that Van Wert game. This team now knows what it takes to win. You can prepare all you want but you will see the size, skill and speed difference once the ball is kicked off.
Ya never know. Everything says glenville in a blowout but hs football produces some strange happenings.

Looks like The OH Report will be streaming the game on their YouTube channel (OH Report Youtube Channel 3). I would guess that WMFD Sports will have a crew there as well. WMFD TV Mansfield has an app. I was able to download and stream at home last Friday for the Van Wert game.

Glenville is in the division that their enrollment dictates them to be in. If you have any evidence to the contrary, you need to present it to the OHSAA. If you don't, then you're just gonna have to accept it. Or maybe you can petition the OHSAA to allow teams to play up. I, for one, would love it if Glenville were allowed to play up. That would give them an opportunity to win a championship in D2 or D3. And when they did win, the anti-Glenville people would be even MORE whiny.

As an aside, Ed's and Glenville need to play in the regular season again. Let's hope Lombardo and Ginn can find a date that works. Win or lose, I'd rather Glenville play Ed's than beat up Elyria Catholic or Holy Name (no disrespect intended to those schools)
How did the massive decline in enrollment happen then? They were D.1 not too long ago?

How did the massive decline in enrollment happen then? They were D.1 not too long ago?
They invented Ginn Academy…. Where kids can come under the “social-economic crutch” in Cleveland and the kids don’t count against Competitive Balance because they don’t offer athletics and play at Glenville.

The lasr time Glenville was D1 was 2012. Also from the Senate league that year D1 was John Marshall, East Tech, Rhodes, JFK. Lincoln West, John Adams. Only John Marshall remains D1. The others dropped to D2 or D3. Only John Hay has risen ( From D3 to D2) . Cleveland also lost 24,000 in population in that time frame.
One can reason that John Hay has gone up since its the early college and actually has pretty good academic numbers ( at least the last time I checked). So the massive decline in enrollment is relatively across the board. But only Glenville is mentioned because they have been the best Senate team the past quarter century. Thers been no threads " Why the massive decline at John Adams"

Simple question - is Glenville better then Bellvue or River Valley ? Those teams figured out Shelby - I'm sure the Tarblooders can do the same. I have never seen either one of those teams play but I'm willing to bet they don't have anywhere near the athletes Glenville does.

Finally watched some Shelby. QB is slinging that B all over. WRs are real ballers especially Ramsey. Prolific offense that will be able to compete as long as the OL holds up and Ive actually been a little disappointed with the pass rush outside the IMG game.

Now the bad is I dont see Shelby being able to stop this offense whatsoever. Its peaking right now. Yes the run game is devastating but against Avon had to pass to get back in the game. Witten really is a cheat code on the outside. There are at least 2 other Wrs with big play ability. Bryce West is also playing offense and busted one last week. Just so many Homerun threats Shelby might need another 70 ball lol.

All in all I was impressed with what I saw on film though. No reason for the Whippets to come in feeling hopeless

Finally watched some Shelby. QB is slinging that B all over. WRs are real ballers especially Ramsey. Prolific offense that will be able to compete as long as the OL holds up and Ive actually been a little disappointed with the pass rush outside the IMG game.

Now the bad is I dont see Shelby being able to stop this offense whatsoever. Its peaking right now. Yes the run game is devastating but against Avon had to pass to get back in the game. Witten really is a cheat code on the outside. There are at least 2 other Wrs with big play ability. Bryce West is also playing offense and busted one last week. Just so many Homerun threats Shelby might need another 70 ball lol.

All in all I was impressed with what I saw on film though. No reason for the Whippets to come in feeling hopeless
Where can I find the film?

Wait....the football players go to Ginn Academy and that doesn't count for Glenville's enrollment? I guess that's better than Ginn Academy having a football team. I'm guessing they would be D.6 or 7....lol

Wait....the football players go to Ginn Academy and that doesn't count for Glenville's enrollment? I guess that's better than Ginn Academy having a football team. I'm guessing they would be D.6 or 7....lol
Yeah after losing the 2009 Division 1 state title while population at the school was already decreasing Ginn crafted up a mastercplan to get to D4 🤣

Its also flat out not true that GA kids dont count towrds enrollment but its gameday lets talk ball lol

To quote Mike Tyson - "Everyone has a gameplan until they get hit in the face" - I don't think Shelby is Buster Douglas. It would be impossible for Shelby to practice for what they will encounter tonight. Glenville is unlike any team they have played. They are by far not a typical D4 team in size, speed and athletic ability. The difference will be evident during warm ups.

Just watched most of it. That was the least physical game I've seen in awhile.
That game was a track meet. And Shelby will not out-physical most opponents anyway. They will likely attempt a kitchen-sink approach, and throw out some gadgets as well - which they've executed in big games this year already. They're infamous for onside kick attempts at any point during the game. Whippets will also have to hope for some turnover luck, and not turn the ball over themselves. DeVito is really skilled for a sophomore, and will hurt you with his feet. He's a slippery kid. But as I mentioned in another thread, games against these traditional power programs are difficult for smaller teams. They might be able to hang around for awhile, but the depth, size, and speed eventually catches up. They ran into that against Steubenville multiple times a few years back. Not sure how many Tarblooders play both ways, but Shelby does not have the luxury of rolling new dudes in and out. In any event, it will be a fun game to watch for sure. Good luck to both teams, especially keeping kids healthy.