Week #13, #3 Glenville vs. #2 Shelby

Shelbyrr11

I don't really care about how Glenville got here, and whatever strings they presumably pulled. Either way, they are facing Shelby this week, and I want info on Glenville and who they have and what they are up to.

Shelby likes to throw and they'll usually get their points against typical D4 teams via big plays that way. A highlight from last week's 71-41 win over Van Wert was an 87 yard TD where the QB, DeVito, threw the ball 40-45 yards in the air to our top receiver, Ramsey.

I am casually looking at 2013 when Clyde knocked off Toledo Central Catholic in the regional finals as a reference point to the best-case scenario going on with this game. Van Wert made a game of things last year, and enough of me thinks this year's Glenville is down a notch from that great team they had last season.

Yeah i'd agree that Glenville is not quite as good as last year, but still a very good team. They have a big athletic defense with I think the number 1 player in Ohio who's a CB. As well a 4 star receiver and a really good division 1 RB who's about 230 pounds maybe more. Overall their team has really good size and athleticism all around. They have weaknesses pretty simple offensively and not very disciplined at times. Great collection of talent but not really a cohesive team in my opinion. If Shelby can create a great game plan and execute at the highest level they have all year they could possibly make it a game.

I don't really care about how Glenville got here, and whatever strings they presumably pulled. Either way, they are facing Shelby this week, and I want info on Glenville and who they have and what they are up to.

Shelby likes to throw and they'll usually get their points against typical D4 teams via big plays that way. A highlight from last week's 71-41 win over Van Wert was an 87 yard TD where the QB, DeVito, threw the ball 40-45 yards in the air to our top receiver, Ramsey.

I am casually looking at 2013 when Clyde knocked off Toledo Central Catholic in the regional finals as a reference point to the best-case scenario going on with this game. Van Wert made a game of things last year, and enough of me thinks this year's Glenville is down a notch from that great team they had last season.
Honestly I don't think Glenville is down at all . Ginn typically does not intentionally embarrass teams so normally once they get up in the 30s they kind of just put the game on cruise control. You should be an interesting game but I felt like last year Van Wert highly benefited from the weather which allow that game to be closer than what it really should have been. I'll take Glenville 44-7 good luck to both teams

Honestly I don't think Glenville is down at all . Ginn typically does not intentionally embarrass teams so normally once they get up in the 30s they kind of just put the game on cruise control. You should be an interesting game but I felt like last year Van Wert highly benefited from the weather which allow that game to be closer than what it really should have been. I'll take Glenville 44-7 good luck to both teams
AGREE

Throwing the ball all over the yard is probably the only hope for a D4 team. Van Wert sort of did that. I think Glenville was also -5 in turnvers -- or they had 5 turnovers -- I forget. And the game was played in snow, which I think shrank the speed advantage a little bit.

So, if Shelby can throw the ball over the yard they can hang in there, but I'd honestly go video game and line up a try an onside kick every single time. Or hope for 5 Glenville turnovers.

Shelby's QB has around 3300 passing yards this season. His top target has all sorts of D2 offers for a WR position. One to one, this combo falls short of what Glenville offers. But it is what we offer as our biggest offensive threats. I've said it elsewhere, but sometimes it can feel like this Shelby team gets more 50 yard TD plays than they do TDs from the endzone. It's a very lively offense. There's occasionally trickery that can go on, including on-side kicks. We are certainly not bound to classical football dogma.

Last edited:
I would read their box scores from that vantage, where they aren't running up the score.

As for them being down this year, I'm just looking for any reason to not be completely disheartened this week. Both Calpreps and Drew have them being about one TD lower in value this season than last year. Not exactly a big deal when they were starting out 3-4 TDs above the best D4 can provide, but I can work with that type of stat over here in the Hope Department. Not having watched any of their games, that's the most I can go off of.

If the final score was in the neighborhood of 35-21, I could take that as a pretty sound moral victory. The group of Shelbyians I talk with generally felt that our ceiling this year was however far into Region 14 we could make it before Glenville showed up on the opposing sidelines. In that sense, mission accomplished.

I just dont get this thought process that 23 Glenville is slightly down from 22 Glenville. And its been stated on other threads. Nobody else in D4 has a 4th quarter lead against Avon. Nobody else shuts out Hoban in a half or doesnt get running clocked by IMG. Look at Olentangy Liberty on Joe Eitel. Glenville gave them their largest margin of loss. Liberty beat 8-2 Findlay and 9-3 Upper Arlington. They lost by 1 TD to two 11-1 D1 teams.
Ive never in my life seen Shelby play, but dont compare the two losses to Bellvue and River Valley to Glenville losses. Of course anything can happen, but the Ville is a huge favorite until proven otherwise

Well, no one is saying anyone else in D4 could do what Glenville did this year or last year to the Avons and Libertys of the world.

Taking what Glenville did compared to Glenville last year though, there is an ever slight difference on paper.

The main question I think most would view this game through is: will it be anything close when the 2nd half starts? Up to this point last year or this year, choosing between getting my head smashed or getting my head smashed by a slightly smaller person, I would choose the latter.

Well, no one is saying anyone else in D4 could do what Glenville did this year or last year to the Avons and Libertys of the world.

Taking what Glenville did compared to Glenville last year though, there is an ever slight difference on paper.

The main question I think most would view this game through is: will it be anything close when the 2nd half starts? Up to this point last year or this year, choosing between getting my head smashed or getting my head smashed by a slightly smaller person, I would choose the latter.
There are two keys to beating Glenville, IMO. You have to, first and foremost, slow down the big RB, Jones. Avon was able to do it, but nobody else did…including Hoban…so it won’t be easy. Your D has to sell out and swarm him. If he gets loose he will truck every defender you have. Secondly, you cannot give the QB a chance to get the ball downfield to the WR, Witten. He is a total mismatch and will jump higher than any DB you have and will bring the ball down. You have to put heat on the QB to rush his throws, or he will connect with Witten and kill you with it.

Dealing with Glenville’s size will be a chore. You can throw on them. They have elite DBs, but you can always find gaps in their overall coverage. Another thing, they play very physical on both sides. You have to match that and stick them on every tackle. Shelby’s best bet is to spread the field and kill then with quick routes, over and over. On D, sell out on the run and take your chances that they won’t pass on obvious running downs. On obvious passing downs bracket Witten and blitz the QB.

Good luck!

I'm referring to the giant threads where people are calling for OHSAA's head for not doing *something* about Glenville winding up in D4. I'm explicitly telling you I'm not one of those folks. I said it upfront in the origin post to prevent this thread for turning into one of those other whiny fests. If there was serious credibility to any of the "Glenville is cheating" claims, I'm sure something would have arisen to address it by now.

My opinion of the Glenville situation is like Brucey in the Longest Yard. I'm not happy they are in D4, but only because I'm likely gonna be seeing "10-3" next to the Whippets' record after Friday night.

I'm curious if they have their full complement of players back. I had been reading in previous weeks that they were missing key players due to any number of reason; suspension, injury, etc.

I'm curious if they have their full complement of players back. I had been reading in previous weeks that they were missing key players due to any number of reason; suspension, injury, etc.
all but maybe 1 or 2.

Better strap em up, watched them play Avon, their speed on defense is just as good if not better than last year.

all but maybe 1 or 2.
Thanks.
Better strap em up, watched them play Avon, their speed on defense is just as good if not better than last year.
Agree. I assumed as such. If nothing else, it's a nice gauge for the Whippet to see how they truly stack up against elite-level talent. Besides, they have a nice tradition of losing to the eventual State Champs in the playoffs. Lol.

There are two keys to beating Glenville, IMO. You have to, first and foremost, slow down the big RB, Jones. Avon was able to do it, but nobody else did…including Hoban…so it won’t be easy. Your D has to sell out and swarm him. If he gets loose he will truck every defender you have. Secondly, you cannot give the QB a chance to get the ball downfield to the WR, Witten. He is a total mismatch and will jump higher than any DB you have and will bring the ball down. You have to put heat on the QB to rush his throws, or he will connect with Witten and kill you with it.

Dealing with Glenville’s size will be a chore. You can throw on them. They have elite DBs, but you can always find gaps in their overall coverage. Another thing, they play very physical on both sides. You have to match that and stick them on every tackle. Shelby’s best bet is to spread the field and kill then with quick routes, over and over. On D, sell out on the run and take your chances that they won’t pass on obvious running downs. On obvious passing downs bracket Witten and blitz the QB.

Good luck!
Spot on.

I figured Van Wert would give a good game because of their pedigree and they're WBL. I gave potential weather conditions ZERO regard. Have to give credit where it's due

I figured Van Wert would give a good game because of their pedigree and they're WBL. I gave potential weather conditions ZERO regard. Have to give credit where it's due
I give Van Wert much credit for managing the weather conditions far better than Glenville did that night, but weather was a huge factor that weekend. Some teams were helped and some were hurt. Weather is part of the game, though, so it can’t be used as an excuse.

I'm not trying to take credit away from them I'm just being honest bro. I'm not saying VW wasn't good but you were not both know they were not faster than Glenville that's why I said the weather played the big factor into that because also if you remember in 2013 when Glenville lost to Loveland in the state championship it was snowing like crazy as well and it negated Glenville main advantage of their speed

I'm not trying to take credit away from them I'm just being honest bro. I'm not saying VW wasn't good but you were not both know they were not faster than Glenville that's why I said the weather played the big factor into that because also if you remember in 2013 when Glenville lost to Loveland in the state championship it was snowing like crazy as well and it negated Glenville main advantage of their speed
I agree that the weather negated Glenville’s overall speed advantage, especially trying to chase around the VW QB, but Glenville fumbled at least a half dozen times. That’s on them.

I agree that the weather negated Glenville’s overall speed advantage, especially trying to chase around the VW QB, but Glenville fumbled at least a half dozen times. That’s on them.
Again that's why I said the weather played a big factor in the game. Weather has played a huge impact in a lot games through the years they fumbled 3 times and still won by 9 points.

What strings did Glenville pull?
Glenville is in the division that their enrollment dictates them to be in. If you have any evidence to the contrary, you need to present it to the OHSAA. If you don't, then you're just gonna have to accept it. Or maybe you can petition the OHSAA to allow teams to play up. I, for one, would love it if Glenville were allowed to play up. That would give them an opportunity to win a championship in D2 or D3. And when they did win, the anti-Glenville people would be even MORE whiny.

As an aside, Ed's and Glenville need to play in the regular season again. Let's hope Lombardo and Ginn can find a date that works. Win or lose, I'd rather Glenville play Ed's than beat up Elyria Catholic or Holy Name (no disrespect intended to those schools)

Surprised no one pointed out that Glenville is actually the #2 and Shelby is the #3. My error came to mind right now.

It's semantics, but I don't want someone else to point out my own sloppy work before I do.

More on Shelby for anyone curious.

The offense is solid. It isn't very balanced. The peak offense usually gets 70-80% of yards passing. The youngest playmaker is the QB, who is a sophomore. He has been worth 4000+ total offensive yards this year. In our part of Ohio, most teams don't have a solution for what we have going on with the pass game. There are plenty of WRs who are capable, fast, or tall. Some combination of that has burnt many teams this year. I'm positive Glenville has seen some version of the pass game we roll out, but I know it is particularly notable for Shelby. Since 2014, we've seen both the top two passers and the top two receivers in school history come through the building. This team is not so different in that regard, but lord the deep bomb plays are more present this year. It has worked so far. Our run game is not top-notch, and that is apparent when our top RB is often getting yards via the pass. The QB is a good runner, and I think that is often due to the respect the receivers get in coverage. We haven't faced any supremely capable teams this season to really test that.

Defense is suspect, but has gotten better in ways. No specific weakness, just suspect as a whole. The Van Wert game is a great microcosm of the situation. Going from 42-34 at half to 71-41 at final. Shelby has been a great second half team this year. Several games I have been throwing my arms up in disgust, only for things to settle in the second half. Our lines are adequate when you look at previous Shelby teams. I can think of several different lines from the past 15 years that would make this team incredible.

This team is frustrating in ways. Nothing comes close to how the 2017 team operated, that team was super balanced. The best version of this Shelby team belongs on the field against most any D4 teams. Most D4 teams do not possess the peak talent that Glenville has. It is easy to expect the worst, but I think there's enough going on for Shelby to get a few TDs. The leaky faucet is primarily on the defense side of things.

More on Shelby for anyone curious.

The offense is solid. It isn't very balanced. The peak offense usually gets 70-80% of yards passing. The youngest playmaker is the QB, who is a sophomore. He has been worth 4000+ total offensive yards this year. In our part of Ohio, most teams don't have a solution for what we have going on with the pass game. There are plenty of WRs who are capable, fast, or tall. Some combination of that has burnt many teams this year. I'm positive Glenville has seen some version of the pass game we roll out, but I know it is particularly notable for Shelby. Since 2014, we've seen both the top two passers and the top two receivers in school history come through the building. This team is not so different in that regard, but lord the deep bomb plays are more present this year. It has worked so far. Our run game is not top-notch, and that is apparent when our top RB is often getting yards via the pass. The QB is a good runner, and I think that is often due to the respect the receivers get in coverage. We haven't faced any supremely capable teams this season to really test that.

Defense is suspect, but has gotten better in ways. No specific weakness, just suspect as a whole. The Van Wert game is a great microcosm of the situation. Going from 42-34 at half to 71-41 at final. Shelby has been a great second half team this year. Several games I have been throwing my arms up in disgust, only for things to settle in the second half. Our lines are adequate when you look at previous Shelby teams. I can think of several different lines from the past 15 years that would make this team incredible.

This team is frustrating in ways. Nothing comes close to how the 2017 team operated, that team was super balanced. The best version of this Shelby team belongs on the field against most any D4 teams. Most D4 teams do not possess the peak talent that Glenville has. It is easy to expect the worst, but I think there's enough going on for Shelby to get a few TDs. The leaky faucet is primarily on the defense side of things.
Great post and the insight. Wow, your dogs put up a lot points but just tracking their schedule they give up a ton and this may not be the week to get into a shoot out. I am not writing off your Whippets but they have got to get the defense locked down to take this week.

Good luck.