USC, UCLA looking to leave Pac-12 for Big Ten in 2024, though deal not yet finalized

Notre Dame seems to have a lot of power for a program that’s “irrelevant.”

Notre Dame seems to have a lot of power for a program that’s “irrelevant.”
Major control, at least for the time being. They determine if there's any further Big Ten expansion this decade IMO...the crap will hit the fan regardless down the road when the ACC gets towards the end of their media rights deal and the Big Ten and SEC come calling.

Major control, at least for the time being. They determine if there's any further Big Ten expansion this decade IMO...the crap will hit the fan regardless down the road when the ACC gets towards the end of their media rights deal and the Big Ten and SEC come calling.
The ACC media contract goes out to 2036, that’s why Clemson is looking to get out ASAP.

The ACC media contract goes out to 2036, that’s why Clemson is looking to get out ASAP.
I imagine we'll find out in the near future just how rigid that contract really is as the current CFP contract expires following the 2025 season.

The SEC and the Big Ten, especially with their recent moves, will be pushing hard for an expanded playoff beginning in 2026 which will be another feather in their caps financially over the other leagues assuming most if not all of the extra at-larges will come from those two leagues.

Klatt is great, Gus can be a bit annoying.
I love his enthusiasm. It never feels like he’s rooting for one team over the other, he’s just enjoying the game and it’s infectious.

Klatt is the best analyst in any CF broadcasting booth. IDK when his contract is up, but with all the new media rights deals, he’s going to make serious $.

ND is irrelevant as far as winning national championships - when is the last time the little green men won one? But the Irish do have a big viewing base and that is all the BIG is concerned about.
We’ll see, number 1 class in ‘23 even after Texas and OSU loaded up. The recruiting restrictions haven’t changed, but now they’re not missing on those elite players. For example, the #1 WR in the class of ‘24, goes to SLU in St Louis, which is a Catholic HS with elite academic standards. This almost never happens, so when the stars align, you need to strike.

ND is irrelevant as far as winning national championships - when is the last time the little green men won one? But the Irish do have a big viewing base and that is all the BIG is concerned about.
I honestly don't know how much they really care about competing or any number of other items, like media revenues. They seem to value being independent and getting to jet set coast to coast while playing a "national" schedule above all else. They haven't won a major bowl game in nearly 30 games.

The bag is there if they want it and it's going to be worth 4x or so what they are currently getting between NBC and their partial ACC share. If they want in the league it's probably also locks in a few more west coast schools making the Big Ten a truly "national" coast to coast league that would include arguably their 4-5 biggest rivals that aren't service academies. Those things should have some appeal.

They don't really need the cash, but for anyone that really wants to compete it has a major compounding effect over time if you are heavily reinvesting in facilities, coaching and support staff. At the end of the day IMO they'll ride out their current partial ACC schedule/lower pay day unless forced to join a conference or risk getting left behind when the playoff (and the playoff contract) expands after 2025. The Big Ten will sit by on 16 schools as there aren't any other revenue expanding moves to be made at the moment.

ND might have to join a league for scheduling purposes. I am sure OSU will play SC every year and with the addition of USC, UCLA does that mean the BIG has less non league games? If so that leaves less teams (games) for the Domers to schedule.

ND might have to join a league for scheduling purposes. I am sure OSU will play SC every year and with the addition of USC, UCLA does that mean the BIG has less non league games? If so that leaves less teams (games) for the Domers to schedule.
There’s no way OSU and SC play every year. When the big 10 finishes this round of expansion (they are going to have at least 18 and probably 20) they will have locked in rivalries of 3-5 schools they play every year and have a rotation on the rest.

Probably see a "pod" of opponents that are played every year with a rotation of the rest like an NFL schedule. 20 teams I'd bet you get 4 permanent opponents and then play everyone else twice every six years. 9 conference games.

There’s no way OSU and SC play every year. When the big 10 finishes this round of expansion (they are going to have at least 18 and probably 20) they will have locked in rivalries of 3-5 schools they play every year and have a rotation on the rest.
OSU will play SCUM, PSU and SC every year FOX will make sure of that - once again it is about TV ratings. Of coursre if ND joins the BIG that changes everything buit I expect ND to remain independent or join the ACC completely.

Last edited:
As we move to the two mega conferences for football we will probably see a Divisional format within each that will focus on geography to help sell this thing to the purest. Outside of the Divisional games they will keep things interesting with a NFL like formula that has a rotational schedule based upon where you finished the previous year to try and give the lesser teams a shot at winning some games. Finally to keep those outside of the big 2 somewhat relevant there will a 3-4 week period at the start of the season where these games will almost be like a preseason slate.

Good point, when was NDs last title? Last time they played for one and didn’t lose by 2+ TDS?
I like how ND gets all kinds of s**t for getting blown out in the Playoff while Oklahoma gets a pass. They’re still a ways off from winning a playoff but at least they’ve been there which is more than 95% of the rest of college football can say.

I like how ND gets all kinds of s**t for getting blown out in the Playoff while Oklahoma gets a pass. They’re still a ways off from winning a playoff but at least they’ve been there which is more than 95% of the rest of college football can say.
Oklahoma has a title within the last 20 years, but yeah they don’t catch enough flack for their continued poor showings. I think USC will see similar results with Lincoln at the helm.

Oklahoma has 7 wins in NY6 bowls and won a BCS national title since the last time Notre Dame won a NY6 bowl.

The Sooners deserve flack for being 0-4 in the CFP, but Notre Dame has been incompetent on the national stage for nearly 30 years. Their best feather is being one of six schools with multiple playoff appearances and being tied with Oklahoma among the winless with multiple playoff appearances.

Oklahoma has 7 wins in NY6 bowls and won a BCS national title since the last time Notre Dame won a NY6 bowl.

The Sooners deserve flack for being 0-4 in the CFP, but Notre Dame has been incompetent on the national stage for nearly 30 years.

Look at the recent playoff scores for ND & OK, ND has fared slightly better.

Look at the recent playoff scores for ND & OK, ND has fared slightly better.
I don't really remember how any of these games went, but Notre Dame lost by 17 and 27.

Outside of the LSU shellacking in their last appearance, Oklahoma lost by 6, 11, and 20 in their other appearances.

I'm as much of a Buckeyes fan as anyone, but Clemson and Bama took the Buckeyes soundly to the woodshed on two occasions, though the Bama game was odd due to so many OSU players being out due to B1G Covid protocols, while the SEC was smart enough not to test so close to gameday.

The Big 12 is now going after Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah.
Seem to be forcing the action as there are reports that the PAC will look to begin media rights negotiations "immediately" for their next deal for a couple years from now...IMO, a huge mistake as it will put at the forefront how much value their brand has lost (from what I've seen, probably a 40% hit in media rights value) with the LA market schools leaving. The Big 12 probably isn't any better, but it at least looks a lot more stable.

The league is dead if the Big 12 scoops up those schools. I think 4/6 of the remaining members would never vote in schools like Boise State, Fresno State, San Diego State, etc. to keep the PAC brand afloat.

Seem to be forcing the action as there are reports that the PAC will look to begin media rights negotiations "immediately" for their next deal for a couple years from now...IMO, a huge mistake as it will put at the forefront how much value their brand has lost (from what I've seen, probably a 40% hit in media rights value) with the LA market schools leaving. The Big 12 probably isn't any better, but it at least looks a lot more stable.

The league is dead if the Big 12 scoops up those schools. I think 4/6 of the remaining members would never vote in schools like Boise State, Fresno State, San Diego State, etc. to keep the PAC brand afloat.
Oregon State and Washington State would likely be Mountain West bound, while Stanford, Cal, Washington, Oregon head to the expanded B1G.