Things from your past that you wish could be brought back

My neat, cursive penmanship.

Way back in college, taking notes was mostly in cursive as I could do it fast and neatly. Now if I have to take notes on paper, forget it, it's all printed.

When I need to sign anything official or even a restaurant receipt, it's sad to see what used to flow so smoothly onto the paper is now just a scribble done in a rush to get it over with.

Discipline. I hated it at the time but I grew up around some strict adults. Belts, physical labor, and hard punishment were employed. And I always had it comin'. :ROFLMAO:

So now we see grown ups who have never been told no, have been told that they were extremely smart and creative their entire lives, and have never been disciplined. Tough to deal with.

Discipline. I hated it at the time but I grew up around some strict adults. Belts, physical labor, and hard punishment were employed. And I always had it comin'. :ROFLMAO:

So now we see grown ups who have never been told no, have been told that they were extremely smart and creative their entire lives, and have never been disciplined. Tough to deal with.
Beat me to it. When is the last time you heard a kid say, “my dad (or my mom) is going to kill me?”

Beat me to it. When is the last time you heard a kid say, “my dad (or my mom) is going to kill me?”
fairly regularly
Back in the day, it wasn't all that great as memories might wish. Some kids got hell bruising beat It was "normal" in too many families. I don't know any that grew into great adults.

One day it occurred to me that those memories came from the intellect and awareness of a kid. I might not see them the same way as an adult.

Growing up in East Toledo we had small neighborhood markets every other block or so. Each had their own little deli, 2nd and 3rd generation white owners who knew your name, and you could buy things on a credit without interest. Mom would even send some of us kids to purchase cigarettes.
Mid 80s one could do with cigarettes that in our home town.at a little.place. problem is...owner knew everyone's parents and if he knew they didn't smoke you were in big trouble.

I don't think I'd have survived small town. Not sneaky enough. Where Ma shopped, they'd catch a fake note. All I had to do was go two blocks the other direction. Places that would sell to you were known. City advantage I suppose. Easy to be anonymous.

Last edited:
Open gyms!

When I was growing up in the 1970s our local high school had its gym open pretty much all summer as I remember it. It's kind of hazy to me now, as I was about 10 or 11, but some kind of summer basketball league or open gym went on during the week in the evenings and the wrestling room at my high school was open in the summer with various high school athletes and wanna bes working out on the lone Universal multi station machine (now there's a memory, didn't all schools have one of those?), jumping rope, etc. It's all a distant memory, but even before COVID, were schools even opening their gyms to the public during non-school hours? I imagine the liability risk shut this all down eons ago.

Last edited:
Open gyms!

When I was growing up in the 1970s our local high school had its gym open pretty much all summer as I remember it. It's kind of hazy to me now, as I was about 10 or 11, but some kind of summer basketball league or open gym went on during the week in the evenings and the wrestling room at my high school was open in the summer with various high school athletes and wanna bes working out on the lone Universal multi station machine (now there's a memory, didn't all schools have one of those?), jumping rope, etc. It's all a distant memory, but even before COVID, were schools even opening their gyms to the public during non-school hours? I imagine the liability risk shut this all down eons ago.
Sundays from 630-800.
Open gym.
Lasted all fall, winter, spring and usually around July-ish it would cease until about school starts.

We still do it, well t least as of ten years ago, locally. It may still go on, not sure. Ya just had to throw in a dollar 'for the lights'.

As a kid in E. Toledo years ago we had multiple open gyms, the Boys and Girls Club which had a rec room, pool, and gymnasium, and three outdoor pools. Today, none of that exists. Idle minds are not good at any level of life let alone being a kid.

at some point, we got priced out of both the Y and the Boy's Club. Never went to either after starting High School. All I remember about the Y was pool. Does bumper pool even exist anymore? I don't recall for sure where I learned to swim though.

The Boys club, I went straight to the woodshop. To me it was magic making things. Bird houses, foot stools, bowls good enough for Tiedtke's. I can only imagine what they really looked like, lol.

here's a story you'll appreciate knowing all the directions Eastsiders go for school. Walked into Coney Island downtown, had on an old school shirt I bought for going to games. Waitress says, "Hey, that's me!" You know how it goes; which corner, which elementary. I say I didn't go to Waite, went to Macomber. She says, "we were neighbors, I went to Jefferson Center...." lol

edit: why the hell didn't I get her number? Would have to be perfect for me.

Last edited:
at some point, we got priced out of both the Y and the Boy's Club. Never went to either after starting High School. All I remember about the Y was pool. Does bumper pool even exist anymore? I don't recall for sure where I learned to swim though.

The Boys club, I went straight to the woodshop. To me it was magic making things. Bird houses, foot stools, bowls good enough for Tiedtke's. I can only imagine what they really looked like, lol.

here's a story you'll appreciate knowing all the directions Eastsiders go for school. Walked into Coney Island downtown, had on an old school shirt I bought for going to games. Waitress says, "Hey, that's me!" You know how it goes; which corner, which elementary. I say I didn't go to Waite, went to Macomber. She says, "we were neighbors, I went to Jefferson Center...." lol

We would go to the Y one Sunday a month all fall and winter for dad's scuba group and get together. Was essentially a carry in lunch and ya brought your scuba gear and the kids would use it in the pool. Always enjoyed it.
The poor hours keep me from joinng nthe local one

Oooohhhh you messed up. She was BAAAD. :ROFLMAO: