Suburban League expansion

wildcat71

The Suburban league is looking to expand. ADs to meet Feb.1st. Louisville??? Orhers?? Or maybe a small school division?? Mogadore Manchester, Rootstown others??

The Suburban league is looking to expand. ADs to meet Feb.1st. Louisville??? Orhers?? Or maybe a small school division?? Mogadore Manchester, Rootstown others??

With falls moving to the American division. Probably looking at Solon for the national division.

The only expansion should be for the National to fill the hole left by Cuyahoga Falls departure to the American. Adding a smaller school division might be interesting but would likely result in the whole league becoming unmanageable.

Suburban League has no interest in Louisville, they are looking to expand to the North. At one point, the Suburban League was curious if Uniontown Lake would be interested in leaving the FED, but Lake had no interest. I suspect that Solon will be the leagues number one choice if they choose to apply. Louisville may apply, but I would be highly shocked if the Suburban even considered Louisville, they are outside of the footprint of the league, and create travel issues for off sports and the middle school programs. Leps best bet if they are looking for a league is to hook up with the Metro teams that are leaving the PTC, if they look to expand.

If Nordonia was moved down to the smaller division, instead of Cuyahoga Falls, Solon probably is already in the SL.

From a footprint perspective, if enough schools support it, Solon would be very close geographically to Twinsburg and Hudson; pretty close to Nordonia, Stow, and Brecksville; North Royalton isn't a bad drive at all; while Wadsworth would be their only "bad" drive in league play. That serves them better than the GCC, especially with Shaker leaving as their only reasonable distance trips are Euclid and Mentor with all four western schools further in travel than anything but Wadsworth in the SL.

From an enrollment perspective, Medina would instantly become the biggest school in the SL; Solon would be close to the top but not in the way Medina would.

Solon and there’s no other option. They’re A small D1 and fit geographically. Would instantly strengthen the conference. Only question is would it would be good for Solon points wise for football playoffs...almost all D2 schools. Medina is too large.

Solon and there’s no other option. They’re A small D1 and fit geographically. Would instantly strengthen the conference. Only question is would it would be good for Solon points wise for football playoffs...almost all D2 schools. Medina is too large.
For football points, it is more important to play opponents that win games than it is what division they are in. Without Falls, the Suburban National teams usually win a lot of non conference games. All the other schools are D2.

For football points, it is more important to play opponents that win games than it is what division they are in. Without Falls, the Suburban National teams usually win a lot of non conference games. All the other schools are D2.
Good points. Stow is Div 1, all the rest in the National are D2.

If Nordonia was moved down to the smaller division, instead of Cuyahoga Falls, Solon probably is already in the SL.

From a footprint perspective, if enough schools support it, Solon would be very close geographically to Twinsburg and Hudson; pretty close to Nordonia, Stow, and Brecksville; North Royalton isn't a bad drive at all; while Wadsworth would be their only "bad" drive in league play. That serves them better than the GCC, especially with Shaker leaving as their only reasonable distance trips are Euclid and Mentor with all four western schools further in travel than anything but Wadsworth in the SL.

From an enrollment perspective, Medina would instantly become the biggest school in the SL; Solon would be close to the top but not in the way Medina would.

I would wonder if the GCC could survive losing Solon, let alone losing Solon AND Medina both. I would think if either happened, Euclid (and possibly Elyria to rejoin Lorain) would "vote with their feet" for the LEL. In general I would think the LEL would take Euclid in, unless there is some sort of backlash or resistance to wanting to see Rotsky come back in the League.

There was another thread that rumored Revere was looking at leaving the SL for a more Cleveland-based league (Maybe the GLC?). Expansion could be for both divisions.

I would wonder if the GCC could survive losing Solon, let alone losing Solon AND Medina both. I would think if either happened, Euclid (and possibly Elyria to rejoin Lorain) would "vote with their feet" for the LEL. In general I would think the LEL would take Euclid in, unless there is some sort of backlash or resistance to wanting to see Rotsky come back in the League.
If Solon goes I'd be for Mentor going independent at that point. No point in being with all westside schools in all sports. Can play Euclid out of conference anyways

The AD probably wouldn't like it at all and would try to salvage a league. But from a fan perspective who only watches football and boys basketball , both sports would have better schedules as an independent

But feel bad for AD and his job being harder. And bad for the kids and coach's not having conference titles to go for anymore

If Solon goes I'd be for Mentor going independent at that point. No point in being with all westside schools in all sports. Can play Euclid out of conference anyways

The AD probably wouldn't like it at all and would try to salvage a league. But from a fan perspective who only watches football and boys basketball , both sports would have better schedules as an independent

But feel bad for AD and his job being harder. And bad for the kids and coach's not having conference titles to go for anymore

I have to agree that Solon is the best bet for the Suburban League. According to one of my former broadcast partners, Solon's population is supposed to level off big time, and they MAY end up dropping to Division II before the end of the decade. (Take this with a grain of salt) From a travel standpoint, this definitely works, as they're no more than 30 minutes from the majority of the National Division.

And then the GCC would be down to six teams next year if Solon leaves: Mentor, Euclid, Medina, Strongsville, Brunswick, Elyria. With two east side schools and four westside schools, unless they're able to poach a member or two in the next two years. I can see the GCC dissolving after the 2021-22 season. I don't know if they would want to, but Mentor, Euclid and Elyria COULD rejoin the Lake Erie League if they want to keep going for conference titles. That would give that conference some stability as well as generate a decent gate for the money sports. (Football, basketball)

I have to agree that Solon is the best bet for the Suburban League. According to one of my former broadcast partners, Solon's population is supposed to level off big time, and they MAY end up dropping to Division II before the end of the decade. (Take this with a grain of salt) From a travel standpoint, this definitely works, as they're no more than 30 minutes from the majority of the National Division.

And then the GCC would be down to six teams next year if Solon leaves: Mentor, Euclid, Medina, Strongsville, Brunswick, Elyria. With two east side schools and four westside schools, unless they're able to poach a member or two in the next two years. I can see the GCC dissolving after the 2021-22 season. I don't know if they would want to, but Mentor, Euclid and Elyria COULD rejoin the Lake Erie League if they want to keep going for conference titles. That would give that conference some stability as well as generate a decent gate for the money sports. (Football, basketball)
Sorry but I'd rather be independent than go back to the LEL. That league is terrible in every sport not named basketball. It's why Shaker fled the GCC so they would be able to compete.

Plus we actually experienced a lot of bad things in terms of treatment from a few of those schools. Academic and athletic culture aren't a fit for us with most of them outside of shaker

I'm looking from AD and all sports perspective though. From my perspective of only watching football and boys basketball it could work. But only if we do Euclid , shaker, Cleveland hts , and Lorain in both sports. With Elyria the 5th in football and Garfield hts the 5th in basketball

Also would need one more school for the other 6 team division

Last edited:
I’ll be the first to admit I have 0 connections with anyone at Solon or the SL schools so maybe there are rumors out there.

But I don’t see any benefit for the Solon to leave GCC. They win enough game to make the playoffs every year and even beat Mentor every so often. The SLN won’t prepare them for the playoffs the way the GCC would.

I know private schools are taboo subject on public school threads but I think Walsh Jesuit would be good fit with the North Coast being dissolved for football and only a year or 2 left in general.

I’ll be the first to admit I have 0 connections with anyone at Solon or the SL schools so maybe there are rumors out there.

But I don’t see any benefit for the Solon to leave GCC. They win enough game to make the playoffs every year and even beat Mentor every so often. The SLN won’t prepare them for the playoffs the way the GCC would.

I know private schools are taboo subject on public school threads but I think Walsh Jesuit would be good fit with the North Coast being dissolved for football and only a year or 2 left in general.
I could see them wanting the geographical rivalries. Also enrollment is shrinking

Elyria just announced leaving for the swc in 2021 so the gcc is down to 6 schools total ..

No worthwhile expansion will happen until the ADs stop their petty opposition and politicking against worthwhile candidates.