St. Xavier Football 2023

How do you know they are on vouchers?
I like the team name LaSalle Vouchers
They earned it.
Evil Empire fits Moeller as well.
Any ideas for your school?
St. Xavier gives more financial aid than any voucher gives.
Thank you Harry and Linda Fath......good people.

"The $50 million gift was donated by Harry Fath ('59) and Linda Fath.
The gift will go toward tuition assistance, school officials announced"

We're a pretty easy target. I can think of a few!
Specht and Ramsey and all their predecessors (from what I can tell) take the approach of attraction rather than promotion when it comes to incoming freshmen. If you have the desire to attend (X/Elder) we want you provided you meet all acceptance requirements.

Specht has a form letter for the parent of a prospective student athlete who sends him an email saying his/her son is a football player interested in attending X and wonders why he/she hasn't seen/met him at his/her son's grade school games (I kid you not).

The form letter goes something like....would love to have your son tour the school and meet you then. Haven't been to a grade school football game since my sons played at Fairfield and didn't attend prior nor plan to attend in the future. I will have someone in admissions contact you.....etc etc.

Specht and Ramsey and all their predecessors (from what I can tell) take the approach of attraction rather than promotion when it comes to incoming freshmen. If you have the desire to attend (X/Elder) we want you provided you meet all acceptance requirements.

Specht has a form letter for the parent of a prospective student athlete who sends him an email saying his/her son is a football player interested in attending X and wonders why he/she hasn't seen/met him at his/her son's grade school games (I kid you not).

The form letter goes something like....would love to have your son tour the school and meet you then. Haven't been to a grade school football game since my sons played at Fairfield and didn't attend prior nor plan to attend in the future. I will have someone in admissions contact you.....etc etc.
While Steve Specht is a successful and passionate football coach, he is also one that maintains a proper perspective about where the game fits in the big picture for any student athlete. There are numerous stories of his conversations with parents who believe there students should get some type of guarantees, relative to position and playing time, before deciding to come to St X. Lets just say those conversations (based on stories I have heard) don't go the way the parents expect.

Nichols is a 4 star with offers to Penn State, Notre Dame, Tennessee along with other P5’s. Chris Henry as well…all the schools mentioned above, along with Ohio State.
Withrow's 3 stars continue to rack up the D1 offers
Quintin Simmons: 17 offers, Terhyon Nichols: 32 offers, Chris Henry: 25 offers
Week 4 in Hyde Park should be entertaining.
Expect those 3 to play defense, offense and special teams

And both Ramsey and Specht are very proud men as well. Part of me agrees with their approach, but part of me also thinks there could be some positive adoption of some of the changing realities in high school recruiting. Both could 100% have a tremendous impact on enrollment if they took a more pro-active approach. There could be a middle ground here.

I completely understand their point of view and agree that kids shouldn't be promised anything, but both could be very influential in increased enrollment success. Both could be more of a salesman for their schools.

They won’t be playing both sides! They have depth, trust me! They have enough WR’s and CB’s.. they have 2 other CB’s getting D1 looks and 2 other WR’s besides Chris and Quinton that are getting D1 looks as well

This isn't the Withrow of old, they have decent depth.

They won’t be playing both sides! They have depth, trust me! They have enough WR’s and CB’s.. they have 2 other CB’s getting D1 looks and 2 other WR’s besides Chris and Quinton that are getting D1 looks as well
At a minimum, it sounds like it should be a decent game, which is good for both programs. Typically this game would be over by halftime, but it's an intriguing matchup for even the casual fan to see how it plays out.

I wasn't disparaging the Withrow football program.....I am really looking forward to this game.
A lot of times when a team has a D1 skill player the coaches will try to get them on the field as much as possible.....nickel defense, 3/4/5 receiver sets, returning kicks etc.
I want to see those 3 on the field as much as possible from an entertainment standpoint.

Maybe 1 of the Tigers can have a game that puts them on the StX All Opponent Team

ReLoad's StX All Opponent Team
C LeCharles Bentley St. Ignatius 1998, Ohio State, Saints
G Alex Boone St. Edward 2004, Ohio State, 49ers
G Mike Pouncey Lakeland FL 2006, Florida, Miami Dolphins
T Eric Wood Elder 2003, Louisville, Bills
T Mike Adams Dublin Coffman 2007, Ohio State, Steelers
TE Kyle Rudolph Elder 2007, Notre Dame, Vikings
QB1 Braxton Miller Huber Heights Wayne 2011, Ohio State
QB2 Jalin Marshall Middletown 2012, Ohio State
QB3 Brady Quinn Dublin Coffman 2001, Notre Dame, Browns
RB Marcus Thomas Princeton 1987, Eagles
FB Bradley Glathaar Elder 2003, Cincinnati
WR Stefon Diggs Good Counsel 2010, Maryland, Vikings
WR Devier Posey LaSalle 2007, Ohio State, Texans/Jets
KR Chris Rainey Lakeland FL 2006, Florida, Steelers

DE- Terry Beckner East St. Louis 2014, Missouri
DT- William Reese Princeton 1987, Michigan St
DT- Tony Carvitti Elder 2002, Cincinnati
DE- Kenny Peterson Canton McKinley 1998, Ohio State, Packers/Broncos
LB- Joe Bolden Colerain 2010, Michigan
LB- Bob Crable Moeller 1977, Notre Dame, Jets
LB- Scott McVey St. Ignatius 2010, Ohio State
CB- Will Allen Huber Heights Wayne 1999, Ohio State, Buccaneers/Steelers
FS- Eugene Clifford Colerain 2006, Ohio State
SS- Mike Doss Canton McKinley 1998, Ohio State, Colts
CB- John Hollins Huber Heights Wayne 1999, Ohio State

This isn't the Withrow of old, they have decent depth.
What Kali Jones is doing at Withrow and former StX RB coach Tyler Williams is doing at Taft is great for local HS football.
Would like to see both of those teams on StX schedule every year and cut down on the long distance travel.

And both Ramsey and Specht are very proud men as well. Part of me agrees with their approach, but part of me also thinks there could be some positive adoption of some of the changing realities in high school recruiting. Both could 100% have a tremendous impact on enrollment if they took a more pro-active approach. There could be a middle ground here.

I completely understand their point of view and agree that kids shouldn't be promised anything, but both could be very influential in increased enrollment success. Both could be more of a salesman for their schools.
After spending 25 years as English teacher and Assistant Principal at StX, Specht has been the Director of Program Endowments the past 2-3 years traveling the country and meeting with alumni to encourage them to participate in the Endowment Program.

I would say he is a fairly good salesman for the school and rather influential in enrollment success.

Per Mike Dyer: University of Kentucky offered scholarships to Withrow 2025 defensive end Erik Gayle and 2025 linebacker Alai Uaisele, according to Withrow football coach Kali Jones

40 football players playing a spring sport
Baseball (10): O’Malley, Weber, Betts, Hoerst, Carter, JHendon, GHester, BMcDonald, Schmidt, Taylor
Lacrosse (12): Bennett, Brown, Folke, Guttman, Lehman, Shamsi, SStegbauer, TStegbauer, Violet, DVollmer, Wojechowski, Avery-Broun
Rugby (4): Seibel, Batton, Lynch, JKattus
Track (15): CDennis, JDennis, Horton, Harris, Reeder, ZarHarvey, ZayHarvey, Kelley, Parker-Rowe, Roberson, Strayhorn, Seymore, Staderman, Steele
Went to the 7 on 7 at Colerain the other night.
Herbie looking sharp at QB
With the lacrosse team and rugby team to play in the state semis (Rugby 5/28 and Lacrosse 5/31) the above 16 players not able to workout with the football team in the spring.
The baseball players season ended about a week ago so those 10 are just getting in football mode

Join the St. Xavier Football community on Saturday June 24th as we launch the Football Endowment Campaign and the unveiling of the locker room renovation project coming in 2024! The event will include a Gameday Panel hosted by Rocky Boiman '98 and feature Sean Clifford '17, Kirk Herbstreit, and Luke Kuechly '09.​

Wide Receiver Position (2022 Varsity Stats)
#80 Jack McClatchey Jr. 6’1” 180lb (17 catches for 280 yards for a 16.5 yard per catch average and 3 TDs)
#20 Andrew Weber Sr. 5'10" 155lb (12 catches for 120 yards for a 10 yard per catch average and 1 TD)
#28 Cam Taylor So. 6’1” 175lb

#82 Simeon Betts Jr. 6’1” 170lb
#22 Hayden Shamsi Jr. 6’0” 170lb

#84 Chase Staderman Jr. 5’9” 150lb

McClatchey and Weber are the only returners with varsity catches.
Weber will likely play safety where he moved to midseason.
Cam Taylor was Vollmer’s prime target on the frosh team this season.
He played varsity minutes in the last 4 games of the year.

Betts and Shamsi have potential to be productive WRs next season as juniors
Staderman moved up to varsity at the end of the season is a slot receiver

This is a position that as usual at StX will see a lot of influx from players making a position transition.
The list of players that could switch to WR next season is long: Vollmer, Soloria, O’Malley, Reilly, McDonald, Clapper, Weber etc.
Add sophomore Jake Britt who missed last season due to injury

Any report from the Tailgate Saturday? Really wanted to go - sounded like a cool event. Also, anybody know when season ticket sales FOR THOSE WANTING TO CHANGE SEATS begins? I know today was the last day to reserve for people that wanted to keep their same seats.

Offensive Line
#79 Tucker Kattus Jr. 6’5” 275lb offers from Kentucky and Miami OH
#54 Andrew Jennings Sr. 6’3” 225lb
#58 Eric Fleetwood Jr. 6’3” 288lb

#71 Lule Veech Jr. 6'2" 221lb
#68 Charlie Lynch Jr. 5’11” 230lb
#62 Grant Hester So. 6’3” 225lb
Grant Abercrombie Jr. 5’10” 230lb
Elijah DuBois Jr. 5’9” 250lb
Camden Wiles Jr. 6’1” 235lb
Charlie Moser Jr. 5’9” 212lb
Jimmy Brown Jr. 6’1” 215lb
KJ Cammon Jr. 5’9” 195lb
Jake Naylor So. 6’1” 205lb

Who will develop/grow/strengthen in the offseason?
The Coach T weight program usually adds 15-20% muscle

Kattus and Jennings are pretty much locks for starting positions given how well they played on varsity this season.
I think Eric Fleetwood (injured this season) will be moved to offensive line and possibly play center position like his brother Evan.

There are 7 juniors and 2 sophomores listed above that could all be in the mix.
Fleetwood is no longer at X and possibly done with football......sorry to hear.
Kattus is the only lineman that I'm aware of that is over 250lb.
With plenty of bodies on the DLine, does Hammond play both ways or switch to OLine as some speculated in the past?
Could end up being the smallest OLine that we have seen at StX in some time.

Fleetwood is no longer at X and possibly done with football......sorry to hear.
Kattus is the only lineman that I'm aware of that is over 250lb.
With plenty of bodies on the DLine, does Hammond play both ways or switch to OLine as some speculated in the past?
Could end up being the smallest OLine that we have seen at StX in some time.
OLine average weights for the 4 state title seasons
2005: 258lb
2007: 268lb
2016: 263lb
2020: 250lb

2023 CINCINNATI ST. XAVIER FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
Saturday 8/5 9am Centerville (scrimmage) at Ballaban Field
Friday 8/11 7pm at Colerain (scrimmage)
Friday 8/18 7pm Lakota West at Ballaban Field
Saturday 8/26 4pm vs King (Detroit MI) at Wayne State University
Friday 9/1 7pm at McCallie (Chattanooga, TN)
Friday 9/8 7pm at Withrow
Friday 9/15 7pm vs Moeller at Dayton Welcome Stadium
Friday 9/22 7pm Elder at Ballaban Field
Friday 9/29 7pm Trinity at Ballaban Field
Friday 10/6 7pm LaSalle at Ballaban Field
Saturday 10/14 3pm vs St. Ignatius at Byers Field in Parma
Friday 10/20 7pm Trinity Catholic (Ocala, FL) at Ballaban Field
Ignatius game will be played at Byers Field and the Evil Empire is rumored to be at Welcome
Will Specht's refusal to travel to Dayton to play a GCL game cause the Evil Empire to change locations or for X to pursue a different Week 5 opponent?

Ignatius game will be played at Byers Field and the Evil Empire is rumored to be at Welcome
Will Specht's refusal to travel to Dayton to play a GCL game cause the Evil Empire to change locations or for X to pursue a different Week 5 opponent?
Good click bait post to fire up the Moeller faithful. Obviously X will not refuse to play Moeller. I am not sure why Specht would refuse to play in Dayton, but I think the right decision is to play wherever Moeller schedules the game.

Why would the right decision be to just go ahead and play in Dayton, the GCL should get involve and tell Moeller it would not be acceptable and make it an X home game

Attended some of the 7 on 7’s at UD recently vs Fairfield, Lima Sr and Centerville

Offensive skill positions are the only gauge I can get on these.

Junior Gordy Sulfsted has been playing both TE and DE and looks to go both ways
With his combination of size (6’4” 230lb), mobility and hands he's a D1 prospect at either position

Luke Klare (6’5” 220lb) also looks good at TE

Betts, McClatchey, Shamsi and Taylor are some getting reps at receiver

Herbie probably has an edge on Vollmer at QB so expect Vollmer to play some QB and most of the other skill positions (X, Y, Z and RB)

Napier and Patrick look good catching the ball out of the backfield.
The 2 RBs, Vollmer, the 2 TEs and 4 WRs should give Herbie a chance to throw for 300 yards every game.

Both RBs should pick up where they left off carrying the ball last year once pads go on.
Napier 750 yards 4.4ypc and Patrick 599 yards 4.6ypc.

The 2 new OLine coaches (Jeff Woltz and Alex Sulfsted) have their work cut out for them in their first seasons filling in the gaps around TKattus and Jennings.

GO X!

Last edited: