St. Xavier Football 2023

According to my archives this will be the first time that a Bomber football team will play a team from the state of Michigan.

X has played teams from 13 states: Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Maryland, California, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Illinois, Georgia and Virginia.

This will make 14.
St. X played a team from Michigan in the late 80s when I was there and I remember they were called the Pilots. It was Warren De LaSalle from Michigan that played X in 1987. From their website:
Sep 11Cincinnati (OH) XavierL0-30
St. X beat them 30-0.

It has the scores on the right side of their webpage from each season and there it is in 1987.

Last edited:
Thanks!
Got some holes in my archives lol
Do you happen to have the 1987 regular season results?
The following I'm fairly certain on.
They were the 2nd Bomber football team to make the post season (the 1st in 1981)
They went 8-2 losing to the eventual state champs Princeton 28-0 in the first round of the tournament.
They played only 9 regular season games.
I have them with wins over Colerain, Elder, LaSalle, Sycamore, Roger Bacon and the MI team you list and their losses to Moeller and Princeton.
Missing their other 2 wins that season.

Still wondering about the Center Grove and Loyola cancellations, especially since Center Grove is now hosting the Evil Empire in Week 4 instead of coming to Ballaban.
The Loyola Academy cancellation was as suspected
New coach, cupboard bare, long distance travel.....cancel.
X makes the long trip on a Sunday a few days after their OLine coordinator dies on the operating table and gets blown out by your veteran team on national tv and when the check comes due you tuck tail and hide.
X should have you on the never play again list and other teams should take note.
The details of the Center Grove cancellation are ridiculous

What are the details?
It's just too dam embarrassing to even post.
Let's move on.....X has a 10 game schedule and that's a good thing.

With the recent additions of Centerville and Withrow would be great to see X have a schedule blueprint each year

Week 1 GMC team: Lakota West
Week 2 GWOC team (Dayton area): Centerville, Springboro
Week 3: CMAC team (Cinti public): Withrow or Taft
Week 4: Indianapolis team: Cathedral
Weeks 5 through 7: Moeller, Elder, LaSalle
Week 8: Louisville team: Trinity or LSX
Week 9: St. Ignatius
Week 10: Columbus area team: Westerville, Hilliard etc

The trip to Cleveland every other year is tough enough, but enjoyable since the 2 schools share a bond.
2 hour trips (or less) to Indy, Columbus, Dayton and Louisville are tolerable

This is my thought for week 2. Elder and St. Xavier are both looking for week 2 opponents. Get Herbstreit or Tom Gamble involved to help find opponents.

Elder and St. Xavier team up to start their own event for week 2. GCL vs. "Insert State Here". Make it a double header event on a Saturday. Year 1 at St. Xavier, Year 2 at Elder, etc.

This is my thought for week 2. Elder and St. Xavier are both looking for week 2 opponents. Get Herbstreit or Tom Gamble involved to help find opponents.

Elder and St. Xavier team up to start their own event for week 2. GCL vs. "Insert State Here". Make it a double header event on a Saturday. Year 1 at St. Xavier, Year 2 at Elder, etc.
I like the idea, would have to begin in 2026 since X plays week 2 vs King (MI) this year and Centerville in 2024 and 2025.
Hoping Centerville continues the series beyond 2025.
But doesn't have to be week 2, could be another week but Elder and X would just have to sync their schedules (i.e. get all 3 GCL games on the same 3 weeks etc)

40 football players playing a spring sport
Baseball (10): O’Malley, Weber, Betts, Hoerst, Carter, JHendon, GHester, BMcDonald, Schmidt, Taylor
Lacrosse (12): Bennett, Brown, Folke, Guttman, Lehman, Shamsi, SStegbauer, TStegbauer, Violet, DVollmer, Wojechowski, Avery-Broun
Rugby (4): Seibel, Batton, Lynch, JKattus
Track (15): CDennis, JDennis, Horton, Harris, Reeder, ZarHarvey, ZayHarvey, Kelley, Parker-Rowe, Roberson, Strayhorn, Seymore, Staderman, Steele

Coach Q returns to varsity staff and a former Bengal added
HC Specht
OC/QB Coverdale
OL Woltz
DC Brodbeck
TE Morrison
WR Carpenter
LB Neal
LB/ST Page
DB Quatkemeyer
DL Wiles
OL Sulfsted
RB Williams

Schedule Blueprint

Week 1 GMC team: Lakota West
Week 2 GWOC team (Dayton area): Centerville, Springboro
Week 3: CMAC team (Cinti public): Withrow or Taft
Week 4: Indianapolis team: Cathedral
Weeks 5 through 7: Moeller, Elder, LaSalle
Week 8: Louisville team: Trinity or LSX
Week 9: St. Ignatius
Week 10: Columbus area team: Westerville, Hilliard etc
Non league scheduling and coach relationships

W1: Specht and Tom Bolden's relationship goes back to coaching together on Team USA in Texas

W2: Centerville game set up by Kirk Herbstreit and his relationship with his alma mater
In the past 25 years X has played 3 Dayton area teams Northmont (2001), Wayne (1999, 2005, 2006, 2010), Springfield (2011, 2020)
These were all post season games or part of the Herbie/LaRosa's Classics
So this upcoming home and home with Centerville will be first regular season matchup with a Dayton area team in at least the past 25 yrs

W3: Withrow HC Kali Jones with several returning D1 players from an 8-4 team reached out to X to schedule this year and next.
Taft's head coach is Ty Williams, former StX RB coach and son of Bomber long time strength coach.
Taft went 11-3 last season losing to Wyoming 7-0 in round 3, maybe they will schedule X in the future

W4: X played Cathedral from 2008-2020 based on Specht's relationship with HC Bill Streiff. The 2 coached Team USA in Cleveland.
Streiff retired after the 2017 season and was replaced by Bill Peebles HC at Lawrence Central who has replaced X with LaSalle the past 2 seasons. The last game in the 2020 season was played at Arsenal HS on a shoddy field that resulted in a few key StX injuries.
X did have a series with Warren Central from 2013-2016 but that was permanently ended after the 2016 debacle.

W5-7: League games

W8: The series with LSX ran from 2009-2019 (Bombers 9-2) and the Trinity series ran from 2007-2012 (split 3-3).
When Kevin Wallace became HC at LSX 5 years ago he dropped the Bombers and replaced them with Elder.
The Trinity series was restarted in 2021 when Jay Cobb replaced long-time head coach Bob Beatty.
Cobb and Bomber OC Andrew Coverdale coached together at Trinity from 2014 to 2019.

W9: The Bomber-Ignatius series began in 1996 and has been played every year except 1998.
2 state championships were played in that stretch, in 2001 and 2016

The relationship between the late Steve Rasso and Wildcat HC Chuck Kyle whose teams played in 1991 and 1992 started the series.
New Wildcat HC Ryan Franzinger who has been on St. Ignatius staff for past 14 years will continue the series.

W10: The Bombers have played 6 Columbus area teams in the post-season in the past 25 years.....Gahanna Lincoln (2015), Pickerington Central (2011, 2016, 2020), Hilliard Davidson (2005), Dublin Coffman (2001, 2007), Upper Arlington (1998) and Central Crossing (2014)
2 Columbus teams have scheduled home and home series with the Bombers in that time: Westerville North (2004-05) and Olentangy Liberty (2021-22). Liberty has had enough but would be good to land one of the others.

1679367218317.png
ESPN's Tom Lemming was in Cincinnati a few weeks ago and got together with the Cincinnati area players that will be in his 2023 summer prep football report. 4 Bombers will be in the report.....Hammond, Sulfsted, Herbstreit and TKattus.

Bombers hire 14 year Colerain coach Jeff Woltz as OL Coach (shown below with Coach T)

View attachment 37453

Woltz replaces Steve Carpenter who died suddenly in Week 1 this past season.

With the off-season hires of 2 OL coaches Jeff Woltz (14 year Colerain coach) and former Bengal offensive lineman and 5 year NFL player Alex Sulfsted, the Bomber OLine and offense will be in much better shape than last year when OLine coordinator Steve Carp experienced health issues before the season began and then passed unexpectedly a few days before the opener in Chicago.

Entering this season I count @26 almost certain varsity starters (includes the 2 kickers)

By class
Seniors (14): Beck, Cengia, Folke, Goshorn, Hall, Hammond, Jennings, JKattus, Klare, McClatchey, Napier, O'Malley, Patrick and Weber
Juniors (6): Fleetwood, Herbstreit, TKattus, Strayhorn, Sulfsted and JaWassler
Sophomores (6): Clapper, GHester, Reeder, Reilly, Taylor and DVollmer
Video on why Aden Reeder and his older brother Kam chose to go to StX

Penn out of Indiana is showing a 9/9 game vs St. Xavier. Perhaps an error (maybe Louisville X?), but I figured I'd share the discrepancy.

Thanks!
Got some holes in my archives lol
Do you happen to have the 1987 regular season results?
The following I'm fairly certain on.
They were the 2nd Bomber football team to make the post season (the 1st in 1981)
They went 8-2 losing to the eventual state champs Princeton 28-0 in the first round of the tournament.
They played only 9 regular season games.
I have them with wins over Colerain, Elder, LaSalle, Sycamore, Roger Bacon and the MI team you list and their losses to Moeller and Princeton.
Missing their other 2 wins that season.
X used to play Aiken each year back in the mid to late 80s. I am not sure about each team they played that year as it has been a long time ago.

2023 CINCINNATI ST. XAVIER FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
Saturday 8/5 9am Centerville (scrimmage) at Ballaban Field
Friday 8/11 7pm at Colerain (scrimmage)
Friday 8/18 7pm Lakota West at Ballaban Field
Saturday 8/26 4pm vs King (Detroit MI) at Wayne State University
Friday 9/1 7pm at McCallie (Chattanooga, TN)
Friday 9/8 7pm at Withrow
Friday 9/15 7pm vs Moeller at Dayton Welcome Stadium
Friday 9/22 7pm Elder at Ballaban Field
Friday 9/29 7pm Trinity at Ballaban Field
Friday 10/6 7pm LaSalle at Ballaban Field
Saturday 10/14 3pm vs St. Ignatius at Byers Field in Parma
Friday 10/20 7pm Trinity Catholic (Ocala, FL) at Ballaban Field

2023 CINCINNATI ST. XAVIER FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
Saturday 8/5 9am Centerville (scrimmage) at Ballaban Field
Friday 8/11 7pm at Colerain (scrimmage)
Friday 8/18 7pm Lakota West at Ballaban Field
Saturday 8/26 4pm vs King (Detroit MI) at Wayne State University
Friday 9/1 7pm at McCallie (Chattanooga, TN)
Friday 9/8 7pm at Withrow
Friday 9/15 7pm vs Moeller at Nippert Stadium (pending)
Friday 9/22 7pm Elder at Ballaban Field
Friday 9/29 7pm Trinity at Ballaban Field
Friday 10/6 7pm LaSalle at Ballaban Field
Saturday 10/14 3pm vs St. Ignatius at John Carroll University (pending)
Friday 10/20 7pm Trinity Catholic (Ocala, FL) at Ballaban Field
Final answer. Thats a solid schedule for a team with some questions. I think everyone is in a better mental space going into this season, and that's going to lead to higher intensity and renewed vigor. Countdown is on! #BEATFIREBIRDS

That is certainly going to be a very challenging schedule. The back to back road games in MI and TN will be a tough test physically and mentally. Here are the questions marks I would say going into the Summer:

QB - Herbstreit showed some glimpses that he can be really good and I am sure he will come back looking even better. Who is the backup because the one thing we have learned over the years is it takes multiple QBs to get through the season.

OL - to me this is the biggest question mark for this team in 2023. Kattus is really good but who are the other four OL? This team will go as the OL goes. It has to get better.

WR - to be blunt there needs to be more speed on the field. X needs more playmakers at WR. Having great route runners is always good, but at the HS level you really need Speed to get those big plays. Will we see Vollmer at WR because we know he is capable of breaking the big play.

CB - same as WR, there needs to be more speed on the field.

QB - Herbstreit showed some glimpses that he can be really good and I am sure he will come back looking even better. Who is the backup because the one thing we have learned over the years is it takes multiple QBs to get through the season.
Chase Herbstreit off season improvement.....

Tom Lemming ESPN: "Chase is one of the premier QB prospects in the midwest in the Class of 2025. Shows the arm strength and is very accurate.
Makes good decisions, improvises extremely well and is a leader both on and off the field"
Brad Maendler owner of QB Excelerate: "Chase is flat ripping the ball and is going to turn a lot of heads this season"
Kirk Herbstreit: "Denny Thompson's (owner of 6 Points in Jacksonville FL) work with Chase and his mechanics is a complete game changer for him"

DVollmer will be on the field when X has the ball
He will get practice reps at QB, RB and WR and lineup all over the field scoring TDs running, throwing and catching the ball.
When he is under center if Chase is not getting a sideline breather Chase will be lined up as a WR

One wild card with regard to the QB position is the unconfirmed rumor that Mike McColgan is coming back to StX for his junior year.
He played QB at X his freshman year and transferred to Culver in Indiana where he was the starter his sophomore year.

OL - to me this is the biggest question mark for this team in 2023. Kattus is really good but who are the other four OL? This team will go as the OL goes. It has to get better.
Tucker and senior Andrew Jennings are pretty much locks on the OLine.
There are a bunch of juniors that will be varsity level.
Not sure about Eric Fleetwood's progress following last season's knee injury.
Would be great if the 300lber were ready to take over at center for his older brother.
I'm thrilled about the new OLine coaches (Woltz and Sulfsted) and the impact they will make.
WR - to be blunt there needs to be more speed on the field. X needs more playmakers at WR. Having great route runners is always good, but at the HS level you really need Speed to get those big plays. Will we see Vollmer at WR because we know he is capable of breaking the big play.
4 players have shown exceptional speed....Strayhorn, SStegbauer, DVollmer and Taylor.
So that's exceptional speed at offensive skill positions and at a corner
The 2 main RBs (Napier and Patrick) are hard runners who can break tackles, make cuts and read/follow blocks but don't have the break away speed X has had in the past (Kellom, Glines, Ashley, Glines etc)
X has solid possession receivers in McClatchey, Shamsi, Klare and Wassler.

CB - same as WR, there needs to be more speed on the field.
Hall and Strayhorn, after a year varsity experience, will be more than solid

Last edited:
Reload - if all of that holds up to be true and they are also able to establish good depth the Bombers could be in store for a really good season. I think the Region is wide open. Moeller is probably the preseason favorite but I am not sure they have the depth. Go Bombers.

How good is this team from Florida? The schedule is more interesting this year with teams from Michigan, Tennessee, and Florida on it. We were playing the same Indy teams every year and I am glad to see some new opponents. It should be a tough schedule this year.