St. Xavier Football 2023

Week 4 Withrow (8-4)
The Tigers lost to Kings 49-28 last season in the 2nd round of the D2 playoffs.
Kings lost in the D2 state finals in a wild one to Central Catholic 52-49

Their 8 wins were over Walnut Hills, Trotwood Madison, Taft, Aiken, Woodward, Western Hills, Hughes and Loveland
and their other 3 losses were to Springboro, Hamilton Badin and Archbishop Hoban.
They won the Cincinnati Metro Athletic Conference Red Division (5-0)
As we can see by their non-league schedule they are not afraid of challenges.....
They were blown out by region 5 powerhouse Archbishop Hoban 49-13
They lost to D1 Springboro 27-21 and a 13-1 Hamilton Badin team 24-17 (were leading 17-14 at the half)

Key Returning Players

Offense

WR Quintin Simmons Jr. 6’1” 165lb 40 catches for 556 yards and 5 TDs, and 14 carries for 109 yards and 2 TDs; offers Marshall, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, West Virginia, Boston College, Purdue
OL Blake Scriber Sr. 6’2” 280lb
OL Chad Thompson Sr. 6’1” 290lb

Defense
DE Erik Gayle Jr. 6’3” 225lb
DT Wylen Gover Sr. 6’2” 250lb
DB Chris Payne Sr. 6’0” 170lb 46 tackles
DB Terhyon Nichols Sr. 6’0” 175lb 59 tackles; 4 star offers from Akron, Cincinnati, Boston College, Central Michigan, Penn State, Notre Dame, Tennessee
CB Dejuan Harris Sr. 6’3” 183lb
CB Gamier Williams Sr. 6’0” 170lb

Transfers
QB Luke Dunn Sr. 5'11" 175lb from EE
WR Chris Henry Jr. 6'5" 185lb from West Clermont; offers from Akron, Cincinnati, Boston College, Connecticut, Ohio State
Nichols is a 4 star with offers to Penn State, Notre Dame, Tennessee along with other P5’s. Chris Henry as well…all the schools mentioned above, along with Ohio State.

StX just landed a monster incoming class. This is two years in a row the Bombers have what I would call a special group of incoming freshmen. I can see StX making a run at back to back state titles in a couple seasons.

Nichols is a 4 star with offers to Penn State, Notre Dame, Tennessee along with other P5’s. Chris Henry as well…all the schools mentioned above, along with Ohio State.
Thanks! Updated. Will we see Nichols and Henry playing both sides of the ball?

StX just landed a monster incoming class. This is two years in a row the Bombers have what I would call a special group of incoming freshmen. I can see StX making a run at back to back state titles in a couple seasons.
If true, and I have no reason to doubt since X is the best program in town, then X will make a run at the title every season until I'm dead, which most posters hope is sooner rather than later putting an end to me and possibly X's title runs

What is the story with Moeller coach resigning? Will he go to Lakota East?
It's a story that repeats itself

An unassuming coach takes the job either unaware of the programs dark past or thinks he is strong enough to overcome the demonic forces.
Almost immediately he succumbs to the EE pressures to cheat and is "reprimanded"

Even a good guy like Coach Elder gets sucked into the system and it spits him out a couple years later a beaten and battered man whose soul is now tortured and stained.

They trot him in front of the cameras to repeat the tired old script of family time needed and a 9-5 corporate world job desired

Who will be the next victim of the EE??

Defense
RE #37 Justin Kattus Sr. 6’2” 220lb / #90 Nate Brice Sr. 6’0” 215lb / Ben Schmidt So. 6’1” 175lb
NG #97 Ted Hammond Sr. 6'5” 270lb Michigan commit
LE #63 Gordy Sulfsted Jr. 6’4” 222lb / Eli Avery-Broun So. 6’1” 192lb / Cam Carter So. 6’1” 197lb
OLB (Will) #34 Gus Folke Sr. 5’11” 178lb / Matt Hoerst Jr. 6’1” 190lb / Ben Boerger Jr. 6’1” 220lb
MLB (Sam) #38 Noah Beck Sr. 6’2” 225lb / #40 A.J. Golden Sr. 6’0” 205lb / Will Sweeney So. 5’11” 207lb
OLB (Jet) #11 Kobe Clapper So. 6’1” 180lb / Matt Schulte Jr. 6’2” 187lb / Zach Hertzman Jr. 5’10” 198lb
Adj. #20 Drew Weber Sr. 5’10” 155lb / DJ Wojciechowski Jr. 5’10” 185lb / Christian Parker-Rowe Jr. 6’2” 165lb
SS #15 Aden Reeder So. 6’1” 170lb / #34 Cole Harris Sr. 5’11” 168lb /Magnus Violet Jr. 5’10” 180lb
FS #5 Lucas Bishop Jr. 5’10” 160lb / Rashawn Kelly Jr. 5’10” 160lb / Breylin Horton Jr. 5’11” 164lb
CB #28 Shane Strayhorn Jr. 5’9” 150lb / #18 Zayden Harvey So. 5’7” 140lb / #23 Brady Bennett Sr. 6’1” 177lb
CB #17 Macen Hall Sr. 6’1” 178lb / #19 Zarius Harvey So. 5’7” 140lb / #31 Amir Abubakr Sr. 5’9” 145lb
There is experience at every position on defense.

Last years 4 man DLine rotation of JKattus, Hammond, Sulfsted and Brice return.
Hopefully the X basketball season ends early and Sulfsted can join the other 3 in Coach T's weight room.
Should see Hammond at 280lb and the other 3 around 240lb
Do Schmidt, Avery-Broun or Carter move to LB or the secondary?

The LB corps returns Beck and Folke and the emergence of Clapper will soothe the loss of Bonner.
As a frosh Clapper's been playing varsity basketball so like Sulfsted need to get him in the weight room ASAP.
Beck will likely be 235lb and hopefully Folke will approach 180lb and Clapper 190lb.
Hoerst, Schulte, Boerger, Hertzman and Sweeney and the DLine backups could all push the 3 LBs once the pads go on.

The CB position is stocked with experience and like last year could see rotations depending on matchups.
Maybe an off season growth spurt or position change gives X the typical 6'3" long legged corner to shadow the opponents best WR

The 3 safety positions may be the area of greatest uncertainty but not lack of talent.
Reeder is a D1 prospect (should be 6'2" 185lb this sophomore season) and Bishop and Weber started at various times.
All will get challenged by the younger guys.

Players on the offense depth chart that could come over to defense: O'Malley, Brady McDonald, Seymour, Roberson and Le

Who will be the next victim of the EE??
To anyone considering, I refer you to Ephesians Chapter 6 Versus 10 through 18 and dress yourself in the armor of God

6:11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
6:12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
6:13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
6:14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness,
6:15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
6:16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one.
6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;
6:18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints

I can provide a host of great 8th grade football players that did very little at the high school level. It is a bit earlier to proclaiming 8th graders and freshmen as state title favorites. Rather than touting them as state title contenders I would be wishing them luck and encouraging them to make the most of their opportunity at St X (classroom and football field).

Beginning Week 5 last season, freshmen were added to the varsity roster until the final count of 10.
Does this group have similar high end talent? Time will tell.

Entering this season I count @26 almost certain varsity starters (includes the 2 kickers)

By class
Seniors (14): Beck, Cengia, Folke, Goshorn, Hall, Hammond, Jennings, JKattus, Klare, McClatchey, Napier, O'Malley, Patrick and Weber
Juniors (6): Fleetwood, Herbstreit, TKattus, Strayhorn, Sulfsted and JaWassler
Sophomores (6): Clapper, GHester, Reeder, Reilly, Taylor and DVollmer

A potential lineup from this group of 26 players with projected Ht/Wt.....

Offense
QB Herbstreit 6’2” 190lb
RB1 Napier 5’10” 200lb
RB2 Patrick 5’7” 175lb
FB TStegbauer 5'10" 210lb
WR1 Taylor 6’2” 190lb
WR2 McClatchey 6’1” 185lb
WR3 Reilly 6’3” 170lb
WR4 Betts 6'1" 175lb
WR5 Shamsi 6'0" 175lb
SR DVollmer 6’2” 190lb
TE1 Klare 6’5” 225lb
TE2 JaWassler 6’7” 240lb
RT TKattus 6’5” 285lb
RG Jennings 6’3” 250lb
C Fleetwood 6’3” 300lb
LG GHester 6’4” 250lb
LT ?????

Defense
RE JKattus 6’2” 235lb
NG Hammond 6’5” 285lb
LE Sulfsted 6’4” 235lb
OLB (Jet) Clapper 6’2” 190lb
MLB (Sam) Beck 6’2” 235lb
OLB (Will) Folke 5’11” 185lb
Adj Reeder 6’2” 180lb
FS O'Malley 6’1” 190lb
SS Weber 5’10” 165lb
CB Hall 6’1” 185lb
CB Strayhorn 5’10” 165lb

Kicking Game: P Goshorn, PK Cengia

7 juniors are candidates for the open position(s) on the OLine: Abercrombie, Brown, Cammon, DuBois, Lynch, Moser and Wiles

Think Ben Solaria is going to be in the mix somewhere. He has played a lot of different positions his first two seasons.
After the 33 players listed above there are another 35 players pushing for PT
Abubakr, Avery-Broun, Bennett, Betts, Bishop, Boerger, Brice, Carter, Harris, Harvey brothers, Hertzman, WHester, Hoerst, Horton, Kelly, Le, Lehman, BrMcDonald, O’Malley, Parker-Rowe, Roberson, Schmidt, Schulte, Seymour, Shamsi, Soloria, Stegman brothers, Sweeney, Veith, Violet, Max Vollmer, JoWassler and Wojciechowski
And if McColgan is coming back add him to the list.
That's 67 players total.

I could see as many as 40 players getting meaningful minutes as a result of position/group rotations
Coverdale wants a FB - TStegbauer, Lehman, Roberson etc
5 receiver sets - Betts, Shamsi, Soloria, McColgan, O'Malley, JoWassler etc
Extra TE or blocking TE - WHester, Veith etc
DLine rotation - Brice, Carter, Boerger etc
CB rotations - Harvey bros, Bennett, Abubakr etc.
Nickel D - Bishop, Harris, Hoerst, Horton, BrMcDonald, Violet, Wojo etc.

What I have so far:

CINCINNATI ST. XAVIER
1 - (H) Lakota West
2 - (A) King (MI)
3 - (A) McCallie (TN)
4 - (A) Cincinnati Withrow
5 - (A) Cincinnati Moeller
6 - (H) Cincinnati Elder
7 - (H) Trinity (KY)
8 - (H) Cincinnati LaSalle
9 - (A) Cleveland St. Ignatius
10 - (H) Ocala Trinity Catholic (FL)
Schedule is complete
Week 2 vs King Crusaders at Wayne State University in Detroit MI

Schedule is complete
Week 2 is King Crusaders from Detroit MI
I believe will be played at Ballaban Field
The schedule these GCL teams have to play now is incredible. It is a testament to those schools, but also why the Harbin point structure needs to be revisited.

What I have so far:

CINCINNATI ST. XAVIER
1 - (H) Lakota West
2 - (A) King (MI)
3 - (A) McCallie (TN)
5 - (A) Cincinnati Moeller (Nippert Stadium?)
6 - (H) Cincinnati Elder
7 - (H) Trinity (KY)
9 - (A) Cleveland St. Ignatius (Strongsville HS)
1- (H) Friday 8/18 7pm Lakota West
2 - (A) Saturday 8/26 4pm vs ML King (MI) at Wayne State University
3 - (A) Friday 9/1 7pm at McCallie (TN) Finley Stadium/Davenport Field on McCallie campus in Chattanooga
4 - (A) Friday 9/8 7pm at Withrow
5 - (A) Friday 9/15 7pm vs Moeller at Nippert Stadium or Roettger Stadium or Lockland Stadium or WalMart parking lot
6 - (H) Friday 9/22 7pm at Elder
7 - (H) Friday 9/29 7pm Louisville Trinity
8 - (H) Friday 10/6 7pm LaSalle
9 - (A) Saturday 10/14 3pm or 4pm vs St. Ignatius at Strongsville HS or John Carroll University (JV kickoff usually at noon)
10 -(H) Friday 10/20 7pm Ocala Trinity Catholic (FL)

Surprised the Week 3 game in Chattanooga is scheduled for Friday night September 1st

Last edited:
Schedule is complete
Week 2 is King Crusaders from Detroit MI
I believe will be played at Ballaban Field
The Crusaders finished 10-3 last season, winning the Michigan D3 state title for the second year in a row.
The game is scheduled for week 2 Saturday August 26th

King Key returning players:
DE Marquise White Sr. 6'1" 240lb offer Morgan State
S DeWayne Dickerson Sr. 6'1" 170lb offer Central Michigan
DE Marvell Eggleston Sr. 6'4" 205lb offers Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Marshall, Western Michigan
DE Xavier Newsome Jr. 6'5" 220lb offer Michigan
CB Donte Dooley Sr. 5'11" 165lb
WR Damon Stennis Jr. 6'1" 165lb
DE Willie Fletcher Jr. 6'3" 240lb offers Ball State, Michigan, Oregon, Morgan State, Marshall, Central Michigan
RB Tayshawn Henry-Johnson Jr. 6'0" 190lb
OL Ramsees Stephens Sr. 6'3" 310lb

Saturday 8/26, 4:00 PM, Wayne State University
Trips to Chattanooga, Strongsville and now Detroit.
Not liking this season's schedule.
Get back the 2 home games against Center Grove and Loyola Academy please
Assume King will be coming to StX in 2024 then

What I have so far:

CINCINNATI ST. XAVIER
1 - (H) Lakota West
2 - (A) King (MI)
3 - (A) McCallie (TN)
5 - (A) Cincinnati Moeller (Nippert Stadium?)
6 - (H) Cincinnati Elder
7 - (H) Trinity (KY)
9 - (A) Cleveland St. Ignatius (Strongsville HS)
This schedule blows
Open at home vs LW and then 4 away games with the first 2 long trips to Detroit and Chattanooga and still have to travel to Cleveland week 9
Sounds a whole lot better than Detroit.
So King just a 1 game deal and not coming to X in 2024, unless a different week

Schedule is complete
Week 2 vs King Crusaders at Wayne State University in Detroit MI
According to my archives this will be the first time that a Bomber football team will play a team from the state of Michigan.

X has played teams from 13 states: Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Maryland, California, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Illinois, Georgia and Virginia.

This will make 14.

King Key returning players:
DE Xavier Newsome Jr. 6'5" 220lb offer Michigan
DE Willie Fletcher Jr. 6'3" 240lb offers Ball State, Michigan, Oregon, Morgan State, Marshall, Central Michigan
With Hammond committed to Michigan and King with 2 defensive ends with Michigan offers could this game feature the Wolverines entire starting DLine in a few years?

I find it curious that StX AD Reinhardt contacted Mike Dyer a day after my post (#112 in this thread) about not liking this year's schedule with trips to TN, MI and Cleveland.
Was he getting complaints about all the travel this season and thought getting the word out about a home and home with Centerville in 2024/2025 would appease Bomber Nation?
Still wondering about the Center Grove and Loyola cancellations, especially since Center Grove is now hosting the Evil Empire in Week 4 instead of coming to Ballaban.

I find it curious that StX AD Reinhardt contacted Mike Dyer a day after my post (#112 in this thread) about not liking this year's schedule with trips to TN, MI and Cleveland.
Was he getting complaints about all the travel this season and thought getting the word out about a home and home with Centerville in 2024/2025 would appease Bomber Nation?
Still wondering about the Center Grove and Loyola cancellations, especially since Center Grove is now hosting the Evil Empire in Week 4 instead of coming to Ballaban.
I think several fans/parents probably did reach out to complain all the travel this season. I also wouldn’t be surprised if the setup for a Centerville series was motivated by the intrigue of Chase Herbstreit, who at that point would be a senior QB with surely some D1 interest, play his fathers alma mater. That would be an easy sell for both parties in ticket sales and the media coverage that would ensue. Not saying it’d have to be a ESPN televised HSFB game, but certainly has the right kind of name value that could earn a spot in national spotlight.

You're absolutely correct.
Kirk Herbstreit made the Centerville series happen, not StX AD.
The 2024 game at Centerville, QB Chase Herbstreit senior season the son of one of the Elk all time best, is a likely sellout.
The announcement was made yesterday to distract from 2023 schedule debacle

Centerville and StX have met 6 times on the gridiron with the Bombers leading the series 5-1
The first 4 games were season openers from 1992 to 1995
The last 2 games region 4 playoff games.
In 2024 it will have been 15 years since the 2 teams met.

1992 X won 34-10 Week 1
1993 X lost 38-7 Week 1
1994 X won 27-0 Week 1
1995 X won 42-8 Week 1
2007 X won 31-6 2nd Round playoffs at Bengal's Paul Brown Stadium
2009 X won 37-12 1st Round playoffs at Ballaban Field

2024 X at Centerville
2025 Centerville at X