St Ignatius Football 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
But remember, the pressure is all on St X and St Eds. I just have a gut feeling Ignatius will pull off a shocker and be a tough out in the playoffs. SHS is a veteran team that returned everyone from the last 2 state semifinal squads. Their offense and defense are anchored by 1st team all state players. Ignatius played them very tough and their defense played well enough to win. Don't forget that.
Ignatius is no where near the level of X or Eds. It’s understandable. Everyone is entitled to a down year. Simply their turn. They’ll be back

Last edited:
3 down years in a row, with more to come possibly.
Losses to Eds on all levels last season.

Speaking of the current freshmen, they won 28-22 vs Chardon yesterday.

Defense still seems like it needs work. I don't know if this was an A team vs A team matchup.

I would hope that was a B game. I’m pretty high on the offensive talent for the freshman Cats. They’ve had the most functional passing game of any of the three levels this year.

I can’t help but marvel at the athleticism of the RR receivers and QB. Once upon a time, we had guys who could make plays like that… This is probably the worst Wildcat offense in 4 decades.

Couple of points: RR reminds me of Ginn's Glenville team; no kicking game whatsoever; roly-poly offensive linemen; and a passing game that tries to take advantage of the Cats' weakness -- the defensive backfield. The replacement of Spencer for Pfaff makes no difference for the Cats offense - both can overthrow their receivers on any attempted deep route.

Teams pay no respect to the Cats’ passing game, rightfully so. Press man and everyone else in the box.
That’s what I’d do. The wideouts are slow and create zero separation. They have no QB who can throw an accurate deep ball. Guard the wheel route and stuff 8 in the box.

2nd TD from RR should have been called back on a blatant hold. I have no idea how the line judge and backfield ref missed that.

Good win for the Cats

Zero changes to the offensive sets. Watched St X and they throw a ton of different looks at you. Granted, they have better talent.

Defense for the Cats played well minus Chaloub.

Zero ideas on offense. Zero. Likely squeaked out 5-5, but, zero adjustments to your offense talent, or lack of

"Watched St X and they throw a ton of different looks at you"

That's because they have an offensive coordinator.
That was my point. Our offense, again, is wide open with 3 plays. (2 of which are to Lenehan)

Zero ideas on offense. Zero. Likely squeaked out 5-5, but, zero adjustments to your offense talent, or lack of
And zero even trying to work in the few younger players might make a little difference.

CK will stick with his formations the way he thought the 2012 defense would eventually stop Mentor.

Good win for the Cats

Zero changes to the offensive sets. Watched St X and they throw a ton of different looks at you. Granted, they have better talent.

Defense for the Cats played well minus Chaloub.
Defense has played well all season for the most part. Gripes about the offense are warranted, but the Wildcat defense is an underrated unit.

Defense has played well all season for the most part. Gripes about the offense are warranted, but the Wildcat defense is an underrated unit.
Agree, but they are playing teams coming up with very good to elite offenses. I don't see any way Ignatius stays in those games.

I can’t help but marvel at the athleticism of the RR receivers and QB. Once upon a time, we had guys who could make plays like that… This is probably the worst Wildcat offense in 4 decades.

Ignatius has not seen and won't see another WR this year like #11 Nicholas "Megatron" Marsh - 6'3", 195# and only a Sophomore.
He's rated 4-star by Rivals and 247 Sports and already with offers from Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, Kentucky, Arizona State, West Virginia, Tennessee. His one-handed, leaping catch for a TD is not something one sees at the high school level, much less considering he's a sophomore. River Rouge's QB Christian Johnson would throw it downfield and Marsh would make whatever adjustments needed to make the catch. Marsh is a P5 player

Observations:

Gutty game and victory by the Wildcats. River Rouge has D1 players, Ignatius does not. The Cats played hard and found a way to somehow win even though 2 starters on offense and 2 starters on defense were lost to injuries during the game + the Cats’ best defensive player sat out the game. We should give them credit for finding a way to win – it was a good win over a team with more talent at key positions.

Offense – nothing to add beyond the comments already made, which are spot on. The Cats were trying to complete passes that are outside the skill level of the kids. Opposing teams have adjusted and are stacking the box and LOS. Yes, there should be more creativity, but the Cats don’t have the talent or execution level to adjust and make the opposition pay. Not sure what they can do.

Defense – another outstanding game despite the injuries. The defensive depth has filled in admirably. River Rouge’s “Megatron” Marsh at WR is a talent that no one else on the schedule has. The sophomore Spellacy played well as deep safety. Brandon Webster finally dressed for this game, but did not play – suspect he needs more practice time to get in game condition. He’ll bring some speed and athleticism to the D backfield. Heard Chalhoub will be back next week – hope that is the case.

Coming games – next 3 are very tough

The game next weekend vs the Eagles could be low scoring. This rivalry game tends to go that way

Moeller is 5-1, having beat LaSalle on Friday. The Crusaders have a sprinter Brandon White at WR. He finished 2nd in Ohio last year in the 100 m dash (and actually had the fastest time, but in the semifinals). We thought Mentor’s Evan Harper is fast. Brandon White is at another level.

St. X’s offense is at another level, beyond any other team in the state of Ohio. Could it be as ugly as last season?

Go Cats!

Observations:

Gutty game and victory by the Wildcats. River Rouge has D1 players, Ignatius does not. The Cats played hard and found a way to somehow win even though 2 starters on offense and 2 starters on defense were lost to injuries during the game + the Cats’ best defensive player sat out the game. We should give them credit for finding a way to win – it was a good win over a team with more talent at key positions.

Offense – nothing to add beyond the comments already made, which are spot on. The Cats were trying to complete passes that are outside the skill level of the kids. Opposing teams have adjusted and are stacking the box and LOS. Yes, there should be more creativity, but the Cats don’t have the talent or execution level to adjust and make the opposition pay. Not sure what they can do.

Defense – another outstanding game despite the injuries. The defensive depth has filled in admirably. River Rouge’s “Megatron” Marsh at WR is a talent that no one else on the schedule has. The sophomore Spellacy played well as deep safety. Brandon Webster finally dressed for this game, but did not play – suspect he needs more practice time to get in game condition. He’ll bring some speed and athleticism to the D backfield. Heard Chalhoub will be back next week – hope that is the case.

Coming games – next 3 are very tough

The game next weekend vs the Eagles could be low scoring. This rivalry game tends to go that way

Moeller is 5-1, having beat LaSalle on Friday. The Crusaders have a sprinter Brandon White at WR. He finished 2nd in Ohio last year in the 100 m dash (and actually had the fastest time, but in the semifinals). We thought Mentor’s Evan Harper is fast. Brandon White is at another level.

St. X’s offense is at another level, beyond any other team in the state of Ohio. Could it be as ugly as last season?

Go Cats!
Agree and nice analysis.

It really is a matter of talent on offense, not effort. I see the kids trying to get open or trying to complete certain passes. It's just not there. I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise.

The program needs a massive influx of talent. There are some nice looking players on the Freshmen team, but who knows what happens in 3 years.

As much as some people might not want to admit, the drop off in qb play can be, in large part, due to the retirement of Nick Restifo, who spent countless hours with the quarterbacks.
Maybe, but the raw talent isn't there either. IMO.

The regression in Pfaff’s play has been noticeable to all of us, and I wonder if he has been playing hurt most of the year. Normally that would be the most logical reason. If it’s not that, it’s mental.

The regression in Pfaff’s play has been noticeable to all of us, and I wonder if he has been playing hurt most of the year. Normally that would be the most logical reason. If it’s not that, it’s mental.
I was wondering the same thing. I read up on him before the SHS game and it sounded like he was expected to have a breakout year. But it sounds like he's regressed. They had the Springfield game won until he threw that pick 6 which was really poor judgment.

As much as some people might not want to admit, the drop off in qb play can be, in large part, due to the retirement of Nick Restifo, who spent countless hours with the quarterbacks.
I agree. I, like many on here did not like Restifo's play calling the last six years or so, but I think his real talent was in developing QBs. The proof was in long years of pudding. I might point out two other coaches missing this year, Ferguson the running backs coach and Rini the O line coach. I think the lack of these coaches, especially Rini, has hurt the program this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.