Some of these brackets are criminal

DubStat

Ohio wrestling analytics

8 Brackets have the #1 and #2 on the same half:​

• D1 132: Blaze (Perrysburg) and Morency (Anderson)
  • D1 165: Birden (Coffman) and Peterson (St. Eds)
  • D2 113: Bartos (Buckeye) and Ohl (Ontario)
  • D2 150 Saccoccia (Steubenville) and Younger (Watterson)
  • D2 165 McKinney (Perkins) and Bunting (John Glenn)
  • D3 113 Mattin (Delta) and Shore (Miami East)
  • D3 120 Dean (Bethel-Tate) and Wilcox (Otsego)
  • D3 165 Horvath (Edison) and King (Barnesville)
Full analysis here:

I think it’s time to start talking about a seeding process for the district #1’s at the state tournament.

Full analysis here:

I think it’s time to start talking about a seeding process for the district #1’s at the state tournament.
Maybe #2's for your rankings! lol!

Do you think random draw is better than a seeding system?
random draw would be worse, the Ohsaa has a fair system now in how they draw bracket... if you win your district and placed top 3 in state before they do attempt to separate you Ohsaa does not seed teams as they move on in state tournament, you get to a final 4 in basketball they don't see the team.. in the end the state champ beat solid wrestlers on the way to the title, oh well if maybe the 2nd best wrestler finishes 3rd... life is not perfect but finishing 3rd vs 2nd sure does not seem that bad..

Would I like to see the seeding structure expanded at the state wrestling tournament? Yes. Is it going to happen? Probably not.

The next most reasonable proposal that does not involve opinion is to "seed" the "one's" using something like the sectional tournament criteria with going state place and then record. I think that would better, though it would still be imperfect.

The other two options involve (1) mandatory score reporting where a power-point system is used - OR - (2) a panel doing it based on opinion. Just in terms of ranking the "one's". Assuming the aim is going to be to have the present bracket structure.

I wouldn't say better, but it is definitely fair. I still think Kohler has a great shot to be champ at 165 and he's ranked #4, nobody is beating Blaze, and Peterson has to get by Rizzo. Are there any numbers on how many 1 seeds lose in the first 2 rounds from previous years or how many times 1 vs 1 happens in semis? Some historical data could help sway my opinion.

Pretty sure a district #2 or #3 can get seeded if beaten by another returning state top 3 from the previous year at district

13. State Draw The state draw will be conducted by the Executive Director’s office prior to the district individual tournaments according to the following criteria:
A. Each district has representation in each quarter bracket with an equitable balance of all pairings by district - #1 vs. #4, #2 vs. #3, etc.
B. No two wrestlers from the same district will meet in the first round.
C. Pairings are balanced.
D. Returning OHSAA state placers that finished either 1st, 2nd or 3rd the previous year will be separated in accordance with their previous place provided they qualify for the State Individual Tournament as a District Champion.
E. If returning state placers are from the same district, the wrestler(s) only loss must be to a top three (3) state placer from last year.

Last edited:
Seed by highest to lowest ranked wrestler( use seed criteria used at the sectional stage). Most common sense; placement with other wrestlers using the district method.

Last edited:
Seed by highest to lowest ranked wrestler( use seed criteria used at the sectional stage). Most common sense; placement with other wrestlers using the district method.
Guess that could work but when you bring in the head to head matchups, the seeding meeting could get heated. A beat B, B beat C, C beat A. Never can be perfect!

Doin't lose in your District is a good start.
Hahaha non of these match ups as anything to do with winning a district!! They all won their district are you new to wrestling in the state of Ohio? Only criteria is if you win your district and finished in the top 3 the year before you get criteria

Would I like to see the seeding structure expanded at the state wrestling tournament? Yes. Is it going to happen? Probably not.

The next most reasonable proposal that does not involve opinion is to "seed" the "one's" using something like the sectional tournament criteria with going state place and then record. I think that would better, though it would still be imperfect.

The other two options involve (1) mandatory score reporting where a power-point system is used - OR - (2) a panel doing it based on opinion. Just in terms of ranking the "one's". Assuming the aim is going to be to have the present bracket structure.
Only problem with this would be a freshman that has proven hisself better then anyone with criteria then a kid the year before.imo

I don’t know if people are over thinking or under thinking this. Keep the same format but District champs get seed first by last year’s top 3 finish, then by dubstat’s rating (assuming all the data is complete). The district runner-ups, etc seed themselves in the current format.

Also one change I would like to see is any time an alternate gets in, redraw the bracket with the alternate taking the #4 spot and so on.

It takes away from having a more competitive championship match, including the two best wrestlers. You get a scenario like last year at D1 144, where you get the true title match, Herman vs Wilson, in the semi-finals. Instead, we see the 3rd best wrestler (Ginter) get majored by Herman.

Even though 2nd ends on a loss, and 3rd on a win, 2nd is still higher than 3rd. Also, it can't be disputed the experience of wrestling in the championship match, far outweighing wrestling for third.

Full analysis here:

Ehhh While I'm not opposed to seeding the #1's based on certain criteria, using "rankings" is a flawed process. Not all competition is created equal for all involved, did you compete ins any national tournaments ? Ironman? Etc? Fargo placement? That can become complicated, and while "rankings" are fun they're subjective and flawed often. At some point you have to believe the best 2 guys likely will make the finals, at least the best 2 guys that day. In the case at 132 , no one Is touching Blaze, so does it really matter? In most other cases a 2 may indeed beat a 1, or a 3 beat a 1 and make the finals. Seeding just like rankings will never be 100% accurate.

Hahaha non of these match ups as anything to do with winning a district!! They all won their district are you new to wrestling in the state of Ohio? Only criteria is if you win your district and finished in the top 3 the year before you get criteria
None is spelled None not non and Has is spelled Has not as, are you new to school ? jk

Ehhh While I'm not opposed to seeding the #1's based on certain criteria, using "rankings" is a flawed process. Not all competition is created equal for all involved, did you compete ins any national tournaments ? Ironman? Etc? Fargo placement? That can become complicated, and while "rankings" are fun they're subjective and flawed often. At some point you have to believe the best 2 guys likely will make the finals, at least the best 2 guys that day. In the case at 132 , no one Is touching Blaze, so does it really matter? In most other cases a 2 may indeed beat a 1, or a 3 beat a 1 and make the finals. Seeding just like rankings will never be 100% accurate.
How can the two best guys make the finals if they're on the same side of the bracket?

How can the two best guys make the finals if they're on the same side of the bracket?
Upsets ....the best that day. Maybe not overall "best". A few weight classes are more clear cut, but logistically there is often a razor thin difference in talent of the top 3-4.

I wouldn't say better, but it is definitely fair. I still think Kohler has a great shot to be champ at 165 and he's ranked #4, nobody is beating Blaze, and Peterson has to get by Rizzo. Are there any numbers on how many 1 seeds lose in the first 2 rounds from previous years or how many times 1 vs 1 happens in semis? Some historical data could help sway my opinion.
8 #1 seeds lost in Round 1 of D3 already this year