Cass Tech a usual power multi state champ
Erie. Class 4 PA 3 yr in a row state champ
Winton-D2 powershouse every year
Elder. Is Elder.
Butchel. The one easy
Iggy
Canada-best Canadian team 7 d1s
Moeller always tough
NcA. Loaded up an coming private from DC loaded with recruits.

1 Ohio schedule harder. Iggy. Maybe a Cincy school

Don't give me that 4 5 star talent . Eds had 3 - 4 star recruits this decade an won 4 state championship in OH not North Dakota, Ohio......An NO five stars.

Team talented an has No weakness. Just not super deep

I admire your enthusiasm as a player parent Hank, and I think we have a very good football team that can compete on a high level, but your statements show that you don't have a good perspective of what's going on at the national level these days at places like Mater Dei, St. John Bosco, IMG, St. Frances, St. Thomas Aquinas, etc. We would likely get boat raced by the top national teams these days. And that's ok. It's a different ballgame these days.

As for this years schedule, it is good overall (better than most in comparison to Ohio teams), but don't make some of these teams out to be powerhouses when they are not. Traditionally strong programs, yes. This year, no. Cathedral Prep got spanked by Benedictine. Cass Tech is 5-4. Moeller is awful this year. Canada is still Canada. And as I've said, we really have no idea how good NCA is as a team.

The difference in the strength of schedules (Mentor and St. Edward) is not that great and in fact having a well rested and healthy team (speaking about Mentor) going into a possible 5 game playoff is a good thing. If you have the talent it will come through vs. a better team. My gosh Mentor beat two exceptional teams coming right out of the gate this year. It's fun talking about all these things as we analyze a possible match-up (Mentor vs. St.Edward) but my opinion is that the schedule thing will not have an impact. Both teams have the talent to win it all.

I admire your enthusiasm as a player parent Hank, and I think we have a very good football team that can compete on a high level, but your statements show that you don't have a good perspective of what's going on at the national level these days at places like Mater Dei, St. John Bosco, IMG, St. Frances, St. Thomas Aquinas, etc. We would likely get boat raced by the top national teams these days. And that's ok. It's a different ballgame these days.

As for this years schedule, it is good overall (better than most in comparison to Ohio teams), but don't make some of these teams out to be powerhouses when they are not. Traditionally strong programs, yes. This year, no. Cathedral Prep got spanked by Benedictine. Cass Tech is 5-4. Moeller is awful this year. Canada is still Canada. And as I've said, we really have no idea how good NCA is as a team.
Horseshit. Mater Dei the only program that this year we couldn't beat. I've been following these schools for years and I can tell you many of the players on each one of those teams. Watch in all my free time and have for years. So you may wanna research more.

I tried Yappi. Been fun. Better to argue in person. Mentors good. St Eds good. Some others. Gonna be fun excited for the kids. Ohio football the best football.

The difference in the strength of schedules (Mentor and St. Edward) is not that great and in fact having a well rested and healthy team (speaking about Mentor) going into a possible 5 game playoff is a good thing. If you have the talent it will come through vs. a better team. My gosh Mentor beat two exceptional teams coming right out of the gate this year. It's fun talking about all these things as we analyze a possible match-up (Mentor vs. St.Edward) but my opinion is that the schedule thing will not have an impact. Both teams have the talent to win it all.
To add to that, Eds would join a conference like the gcc in a second if they had the opportunity to do so. They aren't scheduling this way by choice.

Horseshit. Mater Dei the only program that this year we couldn't beat. I've been following these schools for years and I can tell you many of the players on each one of those teams. Watch in all my free time and have for years. So you may wanna research more.
You think Ed's would beat IMG, St. Francis, St. Thomas Aquinas, etc. Love your optimism.

You think Ed's would beat IMG, St. Francis, St. Thomas Aquinas, etc. Love your optimism.
Ohh yeaaahhhh. I think Mentor could too...who cares about stars. Many kids in this region, but a lot from Mentor or Eds were 2 inches taller at many positions they would be the same "high profile" schools in nation. I mean they are cause Mentor at 10 and Eds at 21 in nation but u line them up those stars not gonna help, we got football players up here. Those kids get more hype but many of them are average college players or hit the transfer portal. Ohio kids, Esa or Mentor, Haban last 2 years can play with anybody, an anybody this year except Mater Dei. They to good at every position. I say this as the truiest most honest HS fan as anybody. I have spent years at games every weekend Fri an Sat traveling around to watch best teams and recruits all over. This is my passion and diehard opinion

To add to that, Eds would join a conference like the gcc in a second if they had the opportunity to do so. They aren't scheduling this way by choice.
No way. They can't even get anyone but Mentor to play them from the GCC. Ask Euclid...they schedule this way by choice cause they don't wanna run over teams 50-0 every week. I've learned it's the standard for them and many of these private schools. They schedule each other and other hard teams, an throw a easier game in there. And results of that they are in D1 in the last 19 years 15 of those years private schools have won. Man I'm not Catholic, never went to church but thats the way it works. Schools like Mentor up there cause when Eds kids Workin out all the time at 6am, Mentor up chopping wood also. It's a culture thing and Mentor is in that Top category but no one else unfortunately is.

Last edited:
No way. They can't even get anyone but Mentor to play them from the GCC. Ask Euclid...they schedule this way by choice cause they don't wanna run over teams 50-0 every week. I've learned it's the standard for them and many of these private schools. They schedule each other and other hard teams, an throw a easier game in there. And results of that they are in D1 in the last 19 years 15 of those years private schools have won. Man I'm not Catholic, never went to church but thats the way it works. Schools like Mentor up there cause when Eds kids Workin out all the time at 6am, Mentor up chopping wood also. It's a culture thing and Mentor is in that Top category but no one else unfortunately is.
It's because of how eds does things
But if a league wanted eds you guys would join in a second. Get a clue. You aren't scheduling out of state teams by choice. It's be necessity

It's because of how eds does things
But if a league wanted eds you guys would join in a second. Get a clue. You aren't scheduling out of state teams by choice. It's be necessity
You crazy man no way...for what, to have 1 maybe 2 good games a year. It never happen cause only Mentor would play and approve.... can't blame others cause playoff points system in place.. We have a great AD that came from Mater Dei and Bishop Gorman, him and our HC have high standard, national standards, sprinkle in the Eds standard, you still wrong. If that was the case Eds woulda joined before the dynasty was built by Finotti an now the best coach in HS football, Lombardo. And don't contradict yourself now. c'mon man...I'm done with this can't believe you actually think they would in a second. Shows how much you really know about Eds.

You crazy man no way...for what, to have 1 maybe 2 good games a year. It never happen cause only Mentor would play and approve.... can't blame others cause playoff points system in place.. We have a great AD that came from Mater Dei and Bishop Gorman, him and our HC have high standard, national standards, sprinkle in the Eds standard, you still wrong. If that was the case Eds woulda joined before the dynasty was built by Finotti an now the best coach in HS football, Lombardo. And don't contradict yourself now. c'mon man...I'm done with this can't believe you actually think they would in a second. Shows how much you really know about Eds.

You are delusional. Eds never had an invite from a public school league and never will. If they had one they would have jumped in a second. They aren't scheduling out of state teams because they want to. It's because they have no choice.

...They aren't scheduling out of state teams because they want to. It's because they have no choice.
I agree, but, from my perspective anyway, I really don't understand why the D1 assemblers even bother competing for state titles anymore...In any sport...As they should have long since moved onto some sort of national stage. Sure, schedule whatever area teams that are willing to challenge them, but really, why bother complaining that (for a bunch of reasons) only a few will.

I didn't run anything (and haven't seen the Euclid final) but looks like the field will be:

1. Mentor
8. Cleveland Heights

4. Euclid
5. Solon

2. St. Edward
7. Medina

3. McKinley
6. Jackson

I didn't run anything (and haven't seen the Euclid final) but looks like the field will be:

1. Mentor
8. Cleveland Heights

4. Euclid
5. Solon

2. St. Edward
7. Medina

3. McKinley
6. Jackson

The fall off after Mentor and Eds is quite severe

Or it's more like Mentor and Ed's are head and shoulders above everybody in D1. This isn't a bad field, just the top 2 happen to be the two best teams in D1, by a pretty big margin.

Yea both of them have been playing insane all season. Do you see either of them getting upset at all or no chance?

1. Mentor
8. Cleveland Heights

4. Euclid
5. Solon

2. St. Edward
7. Medina

3. McKinley
6. Jackson

Euclid will be the 3 if/when Canisius wins tomorrow. CalPreps projects a very easy win for what that’s worth. Of course that assumes McKinley loses to Massillon.

Did Euclid end up winning tonight? I'm assuming they did. You're right, I forgot the Canisius game was still out there, so if it goes how to expect, Euclid/Jackson is the 3-6 and McKinley/Solon is the 4-5.

I like that better than seeing two rematches. Amazing, actually, how 6 of the 8 are going to be either GCC or Fed (and Mentor/Ed's, Euclid/McKinley and Medina/Cleveland Heights played each other) and yet, there would not be one rematch in the first round. What are the odds of that happening??

No chance. Euclid, the most common choice for the third best team in the playoff field, lost 45-0 a week ago to Mentor. That says it all.

Very little chance, but not going to say zero.

We'll see after tomorrow. But if McKinley beats Massillon (which may be a top 5 any division team in the state), I don't see how you can say they don't have a chance. And while they are a huge underdog, this Medina offense with sophomore QB Drew Allar now taking over is one to watch. He is a legit P5 college QB recruit down the road and this is now his team (no more rotating). He accounted for all 6 TDs tonight in the win against Brunswick (could've put up another couple touchdowns too if they didn't mess around thinking the game was over and pulled him twice). Probably won't be enough to upset Eds (though I guess the 2-7 could be Medina/McKinley), but regardless, Medina may actually be the best team in this field outside of Mentor/Ed's, because of Allar. He's legit.

Last edited:
Did Euclid end up winning tonight? I'm assuming they did. You're right, I forgot the Canisius game was still out there, so if it goes how to expect, Euclid/Jackson is the 3-6 and McKinley/Solon is the 4-5.

I like that better than seeing two rematches. Amazing, actually, how 6 of the 8 are going to be either GCC or Fed (and Mentor/Ed's, Euclid/McKinley and Medina/Cleveland Heights played each other) and yet, there would not be one rematch in the first round. What are the odds of that happening??

Per Joe Eitel's site:

Euclid 32 Shaker Heights 14

I see Euclid won 32-14 over Shaker. ... Shaker actually isn't that bad, just played a brutal schedule (GCC, plus Benedictine and Cleveland Heights). Actually, see Elyria was only down 17-15 to Solon after three quarters, too (Elyria also gave Strongsville a good game ... was 35-27 late). Those two teams while 2-8 and 1-9, weren't as bad as it appears.

Or it's more like Mentor and Ed's are head and shoulders above everybody in D1. This isn't a bad field, just the top 2 happen to be the two best teams in D1, by a pretty big margin.

Very fair and accurate. As I am putting my pairings together, and reviewing the field, D1 seems the least open. If it isn't some variation of Mentor/Eds vs X/Colerain/Elder, I will be shocked. And I'll take Mentor/Eds in any of those matchups, having seen Mentor/Eds/X up close this year.

Yea both of them have been playing insane all season. Do you see either of them getting upset at all or no chance?

Mentor is my favorite right now to send Triv out on a 15-0 season. Had this suspicion before season, and in my opinion, after the 2 big tests to start the year, it has been onward and upward.

With McK losing, looks like locked in at:

1. Mentor vs 8. Cleveland Heights
2. St. Edward vs 7. Medina
3. Euclid vs. 6. Massillon Jackson
4. McKinley vs. 5. Solon

Very fair and accurate. As I am putting my pairings together, and reviewing the field, D1 seems the least open. If it isn't some variation of Mentor/Eds vs X/Colerain/Elder, I will be shocked. And I'll take Mentor/Eds in any of those matchups, having seen Mentor/Eds/X up close this year.

It actually shows the strength of R1 when it is missing a top 10 overall team from the field (Iggy definitely is on the short list of teams that could've won the D1 title) and still has 8 quality teams to fill those spots (and 2-3 more that would be playoff caliber if they were in another region). If it was a true top 8, Iggy replaces Cleveland Heights. But Heights, while an unknown because the LEL sucks, still is a 9-1 team (and has shutout of Glenville on its resume and beat Shaker worse than any GCC team did) and Heights has a good QB and a couple big time college recruits.

Mentor will make quick work of them, but there are less than 10 teams that Mentor isn't going to beat running clock.