Region 1 2019

What is true today and in the recent past re: Region 1 and it's powers doesn't have to remain true as we go forward through the upcoming years. Perhaps mostly well educated parochial school parents will stop encouraging "Johnny" to play football because of all the head and knee and back injury information (or hype depending on your POV) of recent years. Perhaps Mentor will decline when Coach Triv retires. I would expect Euclid to take a step back when Rotsky retires or moves on (whenever that occurs) unless they find another coach of his or Tom Banc's caliber. I could be surprised though and they could stay where they have been or even advance forward from that level. Maybe some of the West Side publics will ramp up their programs - Elyria Lorain Brunswick Strongsville Berea-Midpark Medina.

Maybe some schools will decline in enrollment and drop to D2, maybe others will grow and rise into D1. I saw a post on a Collinwood-Glenville potential merger, but with the rate people are leaving or trying to leave the City that probably won't propel a "Glenwood" High back into D1.

Just saying, in 5-10 years the Region 1 landscape MAY possibly look and be different than it is today.

The only thing that is constant in life is change.

Last edited:
Well you have 27 other regions, so maybe there are a few like this one, but most are better balanced with different teams having good chances of winning the regions. But the topic here is Region 1, so I was just throwing my opinion out on this one
You can take the Top 4 out of this Region and beat any Top 4 in any other region in the state.

Won

Mentor
Solon
McKinley
Jackson
Medina
Cleveland Heights
Brunswick

Lost

Euclid
Stow
Strongsville

Tomorrow

Iggy vs X
Eds vs Moeller

I don't think he gets that mentality because he's used to seeing two westside publics who never win the region. You can't control who your school plays but you never want to lose a game to try to avoid anybody. That's pansy talk

Haha, the school I went to has played Mentor every year for the last 20 (even when they weren't in the same league), and has played Eds/Iggy in the regular season when Strongsville was actually able to somewhat compete at that level. The Kerr situation, while overblown, and was an excuse to never play Iggy again. But in actuality, Strongsville hasn't been able to compete at that level for a while now ... a lot of times Strongsville would have been worse (points wise) for Iggy than say Parma ... at least Parma has a couple built in wins.

The school I now root for, personally, I would like for them to schedule Eds/Iggy in the next couple years, but I don't control scheduling and, we are pansies anyway, so what does it matter to you, tough guy.

Haha, the school I went to has played Mentor every year for the last 20 (even when they weren't in the same league), and has played Eds/Iggy in the regular season when Strongsville was actually able to somewhat compete at that level. The Kerr situation, while overblown, and was an excuse to never play Iggy again. But in actuality, Strongsville hasn't been able to compete at that level for a while now ... a lot of times Strongsville would have been worse (points wise) for Iggy than say Parma ... at least Parma has a couple built in wins.

The school I now root for, personally, I would like for them to schedule Eds/Iggy in the next couple years, but I don't control scheduling and, we are pansies anyway, so what does it matter to you, tough guy.
You are indeed. 63-7 says it all.

Your whole mentality on avoiding teams was what made you a pansy. Eds guys agreeing with me says it all as we don't really like each other much ..

Your schools are indeed soft right now though but they have the resources to improve at some point

You are indeed. 63-7 says it all.

Your whole mentality on avoiding teams was what made you a pansy. Eds guys agreeing with me says it all as we don't really like each other much ..

Your schools are indeed soft right now though but they have the resources to improve at some point

You got me. I'm a pansy and your are an ultra tough guy. ... because you root for a team for a school you graduated from almost 20 years ago. GTFO.

You got me. I'm a pansy and your are an ultra tough guy. ... because you root for a team for a school you graduated from almost 20 years ago. GTFO.
Has nothing to do with school strength. I was commenting on you repeatedly citing ways for Mentor or Eds to lose a game on purpose so they can avoid a chance of an Iggy rematch ( which may not happen win or lose).

That's a straight up pansy mentality. Mentor and Eds as teams don't think like that. They would never loss on purpose. If your two schools think like that then they are beaten before they even take the field. It's loser talk.

I'd say most people root for their alma mater if they like the sport. I mean you've been talking high school sports on here since 2005 so clearly you have had rooting interest for awhile too

Your math skills arent the best either. Mentor has played Strongsville since 2005. That's 15 years not 20. Also 17.5 isn't almost 20 yet but who cares? I like the sport. I'll watch it some whenever I can. I wish I could make every game. Might not make Strongsville but it will likely be running clock anyways

Every week there seems to be excuses being made as to how Mentor won so big. “Euclid is a fraud”. “Euclid isn’t healthy”. “They have six starters out.” Trying to justify the lopsided wins. Maybe Mentor is just that good. They have a good chance of being 10-0 for the first time since 2003. That says something. Long way to go, big games to be played against Ed’s and possibly Iggy, which these games always seem to be a toss up.

How many starters out for eucild?

Their QB missed their only other loss (Solon) of the season. He left the game in the 3rd quarter with a serious-enough looking injury to me to suggest he might be done for the season. Valentine is not an All-District QB or anything, but if you take him away the Panthers become very one dimensional and predictable on offense. It would be tough for them to win a playoff game without him.

His injury was not a factor at all in the win by Mentor yesterday. The game was already 31-0 or so by the time he left. Nobody is saying that was a factor in Mentor winning. How good is Mentor? Not sure yet. I do know they are heads and shoulders better than the GCC and every other NEO big school team except for Ignatius, Eds, Hoban, and maybe Massillon.

While I doubt Mentor had huge fear of playing Wildcats, this really does pave a nice road for them if Wildcats are indeed eliminated.

While I doubt Mentor had huge fear of playing Wildcats, this really does pave a nice road for them if Wildcats are indeed eliminated.
Replace Mentor with Eds and the statement remains the same

Major upset if that isn't the regional final. They are the 2 best teams in the state. Same as they were last year imo

If Stow runs through the Suburban, they will be hosting in Week 11 and won't be playing Mentor. Along with Ignatius and Eds, those four seem to me to be the teams that look in the best shape to be the top four seeds in Region 1. Euclid is right there too thanks to big wins over Glenville and McKinley in non-conference play.
Does the Iggy loss mathematically eliminate them from the playoffs?

Their QB missed their only other loss (Solon) of the season. He left the game in the 3rd quarter with a serious-enough looking injury to me to suggest he might be done for the season. Valentine is not an All-District QB or anything, but if you take him away the Panthers become very one dimensional and predictable on offense. It would be tough for them to win a playoff game without him.

His injury was not a factor at all in the win by Mentor yesterday. The game was already 31-0 or so by the time he left. Nobody is saying that was a factor in Mentor winning. How good is Mentor? Not sure yet. I do know they are heads and shoulders better than the GCC and every other NEO big school team except for Ignatius, Eds, Hoban, and maybe Massillon.

McKinley has gotten better every week under new Coach Marcus Wattley and is being picked by some of the die hard Massillon fans to beat Massillon this week. If the Bulldogs do manage to get past the Tigers (9-0) after having just beaten Mass. Perry ( Perry will def win their last game and finish 8-2), where will the 9-1 Bulldogs likely finish, 2nd or 3rd?.

WHERE CHAMPIONS ARE MADE AND SUCCESS IS TRADITION

McKinley has gotten better every week under new Coach Marcus Wattley and is being picked by some of the die hard Massillon fans to beat Massillon this week. If the Bulldogs do manage to get past the Tigers (9-0) after having just beaten Mass. Perry ( Perry will def win their last game and finish 8-2), where will the 9-1 Bulldogs likely finish, 2nd or 3rd?.

If Eds wins too, it would be very close between the two at the 2/3 seeds. Not that it really matters who is the 2 and who is the 3.

If McKinley loses, it will be very close for them between the 3 and 4 seed with Euclid.

Looks pretty cut and dry after today.

1. Jackson will be in, win or lose (anywhere from 6-8)
2. Medina/Brunswick winner is in (Medina could also be 6 to 8 with a win, Brunswick would be the No. 8 with a win)
3. Cleveland Heights is in with a win (could also be anywhere from 6 to 8)
4. If Medina wins and Cleveland Heights loses, Stow/ Heights will be close for the final spot, but think Stow edges Heights out
5. If Brunswick beats Medina and Heights loses, it will be Medina/Stow/Heights for the final spot, and I think Medina edges them out.

The only other thing that would change that is if Strongsville beats Mentor. They could get up to No. 8 in scenarios four and five (and could actually finish ahead of a 7-3 Brunswick in scenario 2 ... though that would take Berea, Hudson, Brecksville all winning and Lorain losing to Shaw, so not very likely). And actually, Strongsville isn't an automatic in scenario 5 either, because Medina could still finish higher. Strongsville's only .001 percent hope may be to win and then for scenario 4 to happen.

Last edited:

Please name these “die hard Massillon fans.”