PAC 2023

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but Manchester and Coventry will renew their rivalry in 2024.
Thats a good move. This rivalry once rivaled the blue cup Id say for league's most intense rivalry. This also could be Coventrys entrance back into the PAC. The Comets would like this due to travel reasons as well.

Thats a good move. This rivalry once rivaled the blue cup Id say for league's most intense rivalry. This also could be Coventrys entrance back into the PAC. The Comets would like this due to travel reasons as well.
Coventry would actually have about the same amount of travel in the PAC than the Metro.

Rich Kotite said:
There's too much bad blood ala "history" with Manchester and Coventry.
Never say never! :)

C'mon guys, see above, I told you three weeks ago a Manchester vs. Coventry match-up was on the horizon, you just didn't connect the dots.

From what I hear, the best thing about it is that this will be the first football game at the new stadium that is currently under construction at Manchester. Imagine the packed house for a rivalry renewal of neighbors on a warm late August evening at the new stadium!

This rivalry once rivaled the blue cup Id say for league's most intense rivalry.

When you combine the Beach City pickup truck brigade with the Mustang Mini Van Moms of Kenyon Creek for the annual Bleu Cup, it's magical and more intense than Johnnie Lawrence leading a yoga practice in his Cobra Kai dojo.

C'mon guys, see above, I told you three weeks ago a Manchester vs. Coventry match-up was on the horizon, you just didn't connect the dots.

From what I hear, the best thing about it is that this will be the first football game at the new stadium that is currently under construction at Manchester. Imagine the packed house for a rivalry renewal of neighbors on a warm late August evening at the new stadium!
To clarify from my often mediocre commentary, I meant bad blood for possible Comet PACtion league membership (the Comets rejoining the magicial mystical fusion of flavor and tradition that is PACtion).

But it's good the two schools are playing again in the non-leagues for the annual Anthe's at the Lakes kidney bean salad memorial trophy. Even a Comets-Panthers game in the preliminary match portion of the football schedule (non-league) is good news.

The question in Panther Country remains: will the Panthers re-emerge from prelim match jobber status and rise up back to main event PACtion stardom or will they still languish in Iron Mike Sharpe Tuslaw Mustang territory? And will the Mustangs shed their Barry Horowitz ways of late and at least be a mid card jobber let alone a main eventer like past years?

Last edited:

Maybe On Tap can sponsor the game and it will be the On Tap Bowl?

To clarify from my often mediocre commentary, I meant bad blood for possible Comet PACtion league membership (the Comets rejoining the magicial mystical fusion of flavor and tradition that is PACtion).

But it's good the two schools are playing again in the non-leagues for the annual Anthe's at the Lakes kidney bean salad memorial trophy. Even a Comets-Panthers game in the preliminary match portion of the football schedule (non-league) is good news.

The question in Panther Country remains: will the Panthers re-emerge from prelim match jobber status and rise up back to main event PACtion stardom or will they still languish in Iron Mike Sharpe Tuslaw Mustang territory? And will the Mustangs shed their Barry Horowitz ways of late and at least be a mid card jobber let alone a main eventer like past years?
Manchester and Tuslaw may for a tag team and become the Mulkey brothers reincarnated.

Gosh it's so hard to predict because his body will probably continue to develop probably outside backer but who really knows.
Great point on the development. That's the secret about recruiting not many talk about. Ability of coaches to "see" what a kid can turn into.

When folks talk about what a kid is going to be at the next level it's always good to remember Sam Hubbard. He's a really good DE for Bengals, but was a safety & stud lax player at Moeller. After a year in OSU strength program they moved him to DE and he became a top 100 pick. Not everyone is going to an OSU level school, but finding a place that will develop you as a player is key.

Great point on the development. That's the secret about recruiting not many talk about. Ability of coaches to "see" what a kid can turn into.

When folks talk about what a kid is going to be at the next level it's always good to remember Sam Hubbard. He's a really good DE for Bengals, but was a safety & stud lax player at Moeller. After a year in OSU strength program they moved him to DE and he became a top 100 pick. Not everyone is going to an OSU level school, but finding a place that will develop you as a player is key.
I will never forget Sam Hubbard and his 98 yard fumble rumble for a TD vs the Ballimer Crab Cakes during the 2022 season.

IMO development of players is why certain PACtion schools need to really be devoted to their youth leagues and marrying them with the varsity program. That takes smart people who care. And that can overcome enrollment differences although not all the time but quite a bit.

I will never forget Sam Hubbard and his 98 yard fumble rumble for a TD vs the Ballimer Crab Cakes during the 2022 season.

IMO development of players is why certain PACtion schools need to really be devoted to their youth leagues and marrying them with the varsity program. That takes smart people who care. And that can overcome enrollment differences although not all the time but quite a bit.
RK, what do you mean by 'marrying' the youth program to the varsity program? Id agree- marry the tradition, have youth kids go to varsity games, have them on the sidelines, etc. I would disagree about marrying systems tho. I wouldnt want to do that. As long as kids get taught fundementals, skills, dreams, how to compete, how to be tough, how to win, and have fun, i think thats all the system you need.

I was thinking more about the post-adolescent development. Not going to touch the "youth football" conversation (although, it is still the off season so i suppose better now than in September).

If you want to talk about development in high school - that's as simple as having an actual workout culture vs weight room hours. Remember when Kirtland-Ironton played back to back title games and after one of them someone posted a picture from Kirtland weight room the morning after they won the title and 20-30 kids were in there working out.

RK, what do you mean by 'marrying' the youth program to the varsity program? Id agree- marry the tradition, have youth kids go to varsity games, have them on the sidelines, etc. I would disagree about marrying systems tho. I wouldnt want to do that. As long as kids get taught fundementals, skills, dreams, how to compete, how to be tough, how to win, and have fun, i think thats all the system you need.
That's basically what I'd attempt. One thing I'd maybe do is throw a few basic formations at the kids. Like here's an I formation, shotgun, and option plays to get a little flavor along with blocking, tackling, running, catching and kicking. It would give kids the chance to learn football basics. Have fun doing it before they get my Keith Wakefield wing-T at high school.

And yes there would be Ohio State (or college football in general) Saturday's for the kids & adults for fun along with things you mentioned. Lots of car washes and food card fundraisers. Some quick fun on the field on Friday night.

Build a sense of community and pride.

As for weight lifting imagine having a locked weight room at virtually all times. That's what we had in my ancient times.

As for weight lifting imagine having a locked weight room at virtually all times. That's what we had in my ancient times.
Ah, the good ol' days when you'd get suspended for going on the gym floor at any point outside of a basketball practice. We rebelled against that so much now we have male & female Karens complaining about sports being too important while simultaneously signing their 7 years olds up for year round ball...

Manchester's new stadium update, remember that it won't be used for football until 2024 but will be used for soccer this fall. Turf started being installed today! Photo taken from the west end of the stadium, on Renninger Road. The current high school is in the background. Home stands will be on the north side, visitors on the south along Nimisila Road.

At the old stadium site, the old elementary school walls are now leveled, the foundation is being removed, soon that hole that was the old school will be backfilled with dirt from the new stadium.

Progress on the new high school building is on plan, opening August 2024.

IMG_3195 .jpg

UPDATE FOR THIS WEEK:

I made a 16 hour drive from Chicago to Wilmington, NC, with a stop in Ohio for one night and took off to Wilmington, NC, the next day (10 hours down to Wilmington; Raleigh seemingly takes forever to drive around on I-40).

View attachment 42827
Carolina pulled pork sandwich in Wilmington, NC. With a side of hoppin john.

#Southern PACtion
Traffic? Luckily, my travels to Wilmington takes me down US 421, missing Raleigh and to Alexandria up I-85, again missing Raleigh.

I did pick-up the northern loop (540) around Raleigh on one trip - from I-87 to I-40. Around midnight, that did seem to take forever.

BTW, that BBQ pork sandwich (or is it sammich?) does look good. I have at least one each week. Hoppin john is a new one one me.

Sorry about the thread hijack. Couldn't hep myself...