PAC 2023

I haven't been to Chicago in 25 yrs, but I would advise you to wear clothes with zippered pockets, or at least be sure your wallet is in a pocket that can be sealed in some way that you would have to be dead to not realize someone is trying to pick your pocket. In a city of roughly 3 million (with at least that many more in the metro area), you're bound to cross paths with either an individual or tandem looking to make money in a less than honorable manner. Shoot, I'd even be sure to have zippered pockets when I went to Browns games, not so much for in the stadium, but for when we'd be stuck in crowds of people walking to and from the stadium.

I haven't been to Chicago in 25 yrs, but I would advise you to wear clothes with zippered pockets, or at least be sure your wallet is in a pocket that can be sealed in some way that you would have to be dead to not realize someone is trying to pick your pocket. In a city of roughly 3 million (with at least that many more in the metro area), you're bound to cross paths with either an individual or tandem looking to make money in a less than honorable manner. Shoot, I'd even be sure to have zippered pockets when I went to Browns games, not so much for in the stadium, but for when we'd be stuck in crowds of people walking to and from the stadium.
Duluth makes a pant that has a hidden zippered pocket in the front and the only time I've ever used it is for exactly this purpose

Looking at the schedules there is a pretty good chance Canton South starts 1-4. Wonder what the money line is on that? That's the toughest opening 5 weeks for a PAC team in awhile. Kudos to them.

Looking at the schedules there is a pretty good chance Canton South starts 1-4. Wonder what the money line is on that? That's the toughest opening 5 weeks for a PAC team in awhile. Kudos to them.
What? I'd say they're favorites in 3/5 and basically a pick 'em with Dover. They have by a pretty wide margin the best player in the conference and they didn't graduate a ton last year. 1-4 would be a complete failure for them

What? I'd say they're favorites in 3/5 and basically a pick 'em with Dover. They have by a pretty wide margin the best player in the conference and they didn't graduate a ton last year. 1-4 would be a complete failure for them

They have the second best player in the conference again this year. Joey Kopec is the best player in the conference and it's not even close. What Kopec did on BOTH sides of the ball as a freshman was just a peak and what he will do this year. Dover is going to roll South.

1687107156647.png

That is some tough sledding to start the season.
  • St Clairsville beat South a year ago 48-34.
  • Dover is D2; had six losses a year ago. But four were in OT. Two of the four to St. Francis de Sales. One in 3OT, the other in 2OT
  • Sandy Valley should be a win
  • Then Orrville. We'll get a good sense in conference Week 1 about how good the Red Riders will be. South out for a revenge game
  • Then the showdown with CVCA. If South is 1-3 or 2-2 coming into that game, the Royals better not look at the record
The big question for South has to be the defense. Here's the Wildcats' results from a year ago:
1687107604422.png

They gave up an average of 30 points a game. And ... against teams not named Claymont, Manchester or Tuslaw (combined 6-24), they gave up an average of 37 points a game.

Everyone knows about Poochie. He's going to get his. What type of improvement can South expect on the defensive side of the ball this year? That should determine how well the 2023 campaign goes for them.

View attachment 42729
That is some tough sledding to start the season.
  • St Clairsville beat South a year ago 48-34.
  • Dover is D2; had six losses a year ago. But four were in OT. Two of the four to St. Francis de Sales. One in 3OT, the other in 2OT
  • Sandy Valley should be a win
  • Then Orrville. We'll get a good sense in conference Week 1 about how good the Red Riders will be. South out for a revenge game
  • Then the showdown with CVCA. If South is 1-3 or 2-2 coming into that game, the Royals better not look at the record
The big question for South has to be the defense. Here's the Wildcats' results from a year ago:
View attachment 42730
They gave up an average of 30 points a game. And ... against teams not named Claymont, Manchester or Tuslaw (combined 6-24), they gave up an average of 37 points a game.

Everyone knows about Poochie. He's going to get his. What type of improvement can South expect on the defensive side of the ball this year? That should determine how well the 2023 campaign goes for them.
Dover is D 3 this year....their defense was the real deal last year. They lost to state champs Canfield 20 to 14 in OT, they lost to Columbus DeSales twice...regular season 23 to 16 triple OT and in playoffs 21 to 20 double OT....they were having issues at Kicker...they played Akron East week 2 and beat them 35 to 0...we beat East 31 to 13.....Dover just dominated a very good East team....DeSales had the best defense we saw all year and Dover stayed in those two games till the end....They will beat South and will not be a battle....one thing South will not understand is the Ifft vs Dennison matchup...that plays in Dover's favor. Now we know it is early and no injuries...but having seen Dover on video last year...they were very good

Dover is D 3 this year....their defense was the real deal last year. They lost to state champs Canfield 20 to 14 in OT, they lost to Columbus DeSales twice...regular season 23 to 16 triple OT and in playoffs 21 to 20 double OT....they were having issues at Kicker...they played Akron East week 2 and beat them 35 to 0...we beat East 31 to 13.....Dover just dominated a very good East team....DeSales had the best defense we saw all year and Dover stayed in those two games till the end....They will beat South and will not be a battle....one thing South will not understand is the Ifft vs Dennison matchup...that plays in Dover's favor. Now we know it is early and no injuries...but having seen Dover on video last year...they were very good
Yep. Missed that detail. Right at the top of the D3 cutoff.

Anyone who has been around Yappi for 10+ years knows that I don't give Dover much credit. I think they usually lose to a team or 2 that they shouldn't and blow it in the playoffs. Last years Dover team was their best team in the last 10. They weren't as prolific on offense but they got after teams on defense. They will get a running clock on South this year.

Anyone who has been around Yappi for 10+ years knows that I don't give Dover much credit. I think they usually lose to a team or 2 that they shouldn't and blow it in the playoffs. Last years Dover team was their best team in the last 10. They weren't as prolific on offense but they got after teams on defense. They will get a running clock on South this year.
Two years ago was probably Dover’s best team in the last 10 (undefeated until losing to state champ Chardon in the regional final). Last year’s team was good, but had a lot of close losses- definitely could have been 9-1 if the special teams didn’t struggle as much as they did. They should be very good this year (4/5 returning on the line, and a lot of track stars at the skill positions), but with uncertainty at QB. If the new QB plays well, I think this team could go far in the playoffs.

Dover and South should be a good game, and hopefully reminiscent of the late 2000s battles.

Two years ago was probably Dover’s best team in the last 10 (undefeated until losing to state champ Chardon in the regional final). Last year’s team was good, but had a lot of close losses- definitely could have been 9-1 if the special teams didn’t struggle as much as they did. They should be very good this year (4/5 returning on the line, and a lot of track stars at the skill positions), but with uncertainty at QB. If the new QB plays well, I think this team could go far in the playoffs.

Dover and South should be a good game, and hopefully reminiscent of the late 2000s battles.
I know that you have been active in the Dover threads for sometime and that you know there program much better than I so I will lean on your knowledge until I can see them for my self this year. I forgot that the special teams killed them a few times last year.

Dover was actually a better team last year less their special teams/kicker. Very peculiar situation to say the least. And something else that is deceiving is that Dover lost to DeSales twice last year even though they were actually better than DeSales to be perfectly honest. Dover was also the better team between New Philly and Linsly as well last year. Dover was actually better than everyone they played last year with the exception of Steubenville and Canfield. Something even more deceiving is the fact Canfield did not play very well or to their potential until they faced Aurora in the playoffs, meanwhile I think Dover gave a really good effort and played exceptionally well and one of their best performances of the year. Dover did well for sure, but at the same time you have to recognize that the Canfield team that beat Aurora, Ursuline, Chardon, Holy Name and Bloom-Carroll is not the same Canfield team that barely managed to beat Dover and West Branch and lost to Chaney. It is almost as if they flipped a switch.
In 2021 SV-SM, Aurora, Chardon and Canfield were actually better than Dover, however they still beat everyone of the aforementioned teams but Chardon of course. So I guess it goes both ways sometimes you win games against teams that are better than you and sometimes you lose games against teams that are worse than you. I guess that is why you play the games and that is what makes high school football so unpredictable at times... you think you have evrything figured and then there is a huge upset.

We can check back in on this in a few months. Ifft is much more scared of Poochie than South is of Dover..

They have the second best player in the conference again this year. Joey Kopec is the best player in the conference and it's not even close. What Kopec did on BOTH sides of the ball as a freshman was just a peak and what he will do this year. Dover is going to roll South.
Last year you made the comment that Poochie Snyder would never play a down at the collegiate level. To say it's not even close is a slight to the kid. When its all said and done, Poochie will hold every major record in stark county his when it comes to QB play. He's under 1,800 yards away from beating the passing yards record. Under 2,000 away from the total yards record. He has 81 total passing TD's, he needs 35 passing TD's to break that record. He has 109 total TD's in his career - he needs just 34 total TD's to break the record of 143.

Last year you made the comment that Poochie Snyder would never play a down at the collegiate level. To say it's not even close is a slight to the kid. When its all said and done, Poochie will hold every major record in stark county his when it comes to QB play. He's under 1,800 yards away from beating the passing yards record. Under 2,000 away from the total yards record. He has 81 total passing TD's, he needs 35 passing TD's to break that record. He has 109 total TD's in his career - he needs just 34 total TD's to break the record of 143.
At the end of last season, I don't think anyone was dismissing Poochie's status as the impact player in the PAC. To have a kid coming back like that is great for CS & the whole league!

As for this stats, while I'm sure he'd like to have a repeat of last season, I bet he'd also to see an improved Wildcat defense this year so he's not having to go full-tilt or staging an epic comeback in nearly every game like he did last season.

Regarding the college comment, I can see both sides. Here we all love the kids in our league, but the next level is a different animal. To me Poochie is a modern version of Triway's Carmichael boys who were both studs in a system that maximized their talents. Both of them played at next level, but neither as a qb (WR & baseball).

I know we have a lot of off season to fill, but I'm looking forward to enjoying a great player's senior season.

Regarding the college comment, I can see both sides. Here we all love the kids in our league, but the next level is a different animal. To me Poochie is a modern version of Triway's Carmichael boys who were both studs in a system that maximized their talents. Both of them played at next level, but neither as a qb (WR & baseball).

I know we have a lot of off season to fill, but I'm looking forward to enjoying a great player's senior season.
He already has offers from Maine and Sacred Heart, both D1 colleges, both to play quarterback. What are we talking about?

Camelotcats is correct, 123kidz did make that statement last year. And for some weird reason he has taken several shots at Snyder. I'd rather take the stock of Coach Dennison who has gone on record that Snyder is far and away the best of the bunch of any QB he has ever coached and he has had some good ones. I think people look at his size and say he's not big enough for the next level, but he is taller than the number one overall pick of the recent NFL draft. I'm not saying that he is on that level by any means but watching him in a baseball game almost 6 weeks ago, you could tell he has bulked up since basketball season. I hope he continues to prove everyone wrong as he has done since his Freshman year.

He already has offers from Maine and Sacred Heart, both D1 colleges, both to play quarterback. What are we talking about?
I believe the answer to that question is PAC Football. Perhaps a bit unorthodox, but I interpret @the123kidz comments as some high level hyperbole to get the thread back on topic (with all due respect to Chicago recommendations and any other host of off-season topics).

If Poochie is not at the top of everybody’s pre-season PAC Player of the Year ballots, then there should be an investigation.

But, there’s a lot of guys who are no doubt busting their tails this off-season to break out, starting in exactly 60 days.

No one saw Orrville coming a year ago at this time. Who will be the breakout players in 2023?

Joey Kopec and Ricky Levak we’re first team all-region on defense for CVCA. Charlie Levak was second team. Ty Bova was honorable mention. All are back.

At Canton South, look beyond Poochie. The first guys you better game plan for are Tyler Pugh and Ethan Fricke at linebacker, who both return for senior year. Aiden Geer is a fireplug of a lineman. 5-7, 210 a year ago. He is another rising senior. Probably bigger with another year in the weight room.

Best returning QB’s? Better have Carson Colucci (Fairless) and Sawyer Hamsher (Orrville) on that list to go along with Snyder.

Orrville has Greg Smiley back at running back for senior year and Shane Troyer as a young O-Lineman who turned some heads as a sophomore and has two years remaining

At Triway, @thePITman can fill us in on Luke Belcher who is another senior linebacker that should make some noise.

Northwest? The question has to be who is ready to step in for the graduated all-senior offensive line?

That’s a start. Discuss!

Last edited:
I should let this go with @cuyahogacuse response (As usual he nailed it). But, for clarification, my point wasn't that he wouldn't get/deserve a chance to play at the next level. It was just how tough it is at the next level. Regardless of what level that is & regardless of how good you were in high school.

That's not doubting the kid at all, that's just a fact. It's simply a numbers game. Those schools that have offered Poochie probably already have 6-8 QBs on the roster and will bring in 3-4 in each class. He'll get his shot, but what happens at the next level has NOTHING to do with him being a GREAT high school QB.

I believe it's Jack "Poochie" Snyder
From this Canton Repository feature article last August:

“Poochie" might be the most approachable nickname in the USA.

Here's the scoop straight from the kid about how his real name of Jack began to disappear.

"My sister, Caroline, started calling me Poochie when I was 2. She said I had a poochie belly. Ever since then ..."

How might one characterize the monicker "Poochie?" Amusing? Adorable? Arf?

Watch it. Poochie has fangs.

More Poochie:

Excerpt from Canton Repository: 10 Greater Canton high school football players we can't wait to watch during the 2023

You'll be hard pressed to find a high school QB who throws the deep ball more accurately than Snyder. He … helped the Wildcats win two playoff games for the first time in program history. All eyes will be on Snyder to see what he does for an encore.

2023's big test:
  • CVCA, Sept. 15
  • Canton South fell to CVCA in an overtime thriller (42-36) last year. After winning a share of the PAC-7, the Wildcats will be looking to win it outright this year. This game will be key in helping to achieve that goal.

Poochie is 100% the best player in the league, hands down favorite for POY. As for CS's first 5 games....realistically I can see them starting 2-2 going into the CVCA game. Losses to St Clairsville and Dover, blowing out Sandy Valley, and winning a close one with Orrville. As for the CVCA game itself. Toss up.

Poochie is as good as Kopec in their respective positions.
Kopec is as good as Belcher in their respective positions.
Belcher is as good as Poochie in their respective positions.

If I had to guess who I think ends up winning the POY award, I would guess Poochie. But to say anyone is far and away the best player in the league - with terms like "hands down" or "and it's not even close" - is ignorance, IMO.

If I had to guess who I think ends up winning the POY award, I would guess Poochie. But to say anyone is far and away the best player in the league - with terms like "hands down" or "and it's not even close" - is ignorance, IMO.
This is a great point. Poochie is the best player at the highlight position so that naturally that does lean the conversation.

Let's not forget that Tucker, Wright & Parks (some of the best to ever play in this league) did not win the league their senior seasons. Tucker & Wright were POY, but they weren't league champs. My guess is, despite what a bunch of donut eating folks (couldn't resist one more food reference) like to type about on this site, Poochie & all these other guys would prefer to win the title outright vs individual recognition (or at least I hope so).

This is a great point. Poochie is the best player at the highlight position so that naturally that does lean the conversation.

Let's not forget that Tucker, Wright & Parks (some of the best to ever play in this league) did not win the league their senior seasons. Tucker & Wright were POY, but they weren't league champs. My guess is, despite what a bunch of donut eating folks (couldn't resist one more food reference) like to type about on this site, Poochie & all these other guys would prefer to win the title outright vs individual recognition (or at least I hope so).
You guys sold/convinced me...."hands down" was too much given the history! I will say this though, when it comes to who is the most important player to their respective team in the league, I think it's Poochie. Without Poochie South probably only wins 3, maybe 4 games. So he COULD be worth as many as 4 or 5 wins by himself.

So he COULD be worth as many as 4 or 5 wins by himself.
And he's the only player in the conference with that distinction. It's unfair to not hold him head and shoulders above the rest of the conference. He's a true Division 1 quarterback in a conference that can count how many of those they've had this century on one hand.