PAC 2023

Hollie Strano would drive an Amish buggy full of Buffalo Trace at a high rate of speed and crash.

Good thing she didn't drive through the Green round-a-bouts.
70 in a 35? Ouch. Of course, we've all been to those family Thanksgivings where we couldn't get out of there fast enough . . . (bah-duhm-bum)

70 in a 35? Ouch. Of course, we've all been to those family Thanksgivings where we couldn't get out of there fast enough . . . (bah-duhm-bum)
Since the accident was in Cuyahoga Falls maybe Hollie was doing some PACtion work on behalf of PACtion Commissioner Gary Woods trying to bring CVCA back into the conference and things just got out of hand with the sauce.

Steve Doerschuk....who you have to say is the first PACtion sports writer....has written an excellent series on the golden era of Kent State Football....I am going to post the link to part one. If you are unable to see it just say so and will post the articles...it is a 7 part series with Nick Saban, Don James, Jack Lambert...connected to the decade of the 70's.

87nmvk.jpg

Any PACtion 2024 thread name should remember who really provides the PACtion magic:

1701355608882.png

I'd suggest BellStores PACtion 2024 as a possible thread name.

You just know that right now somewhere in the suburbs of Massillon that PACtion Commissioner Gary Woods has just left a BellStores with a large coffee in hand. I mean what other store uses Swiss-designed, American made coffee brewing machines like BellStores? Don't believe me?

1701355866628.png

Part three

It's not much of a stretch to say everybody in the country in 1969 knew somebody in harm's way in Vietnam.

The count of United States soldiers in Southeast Asia that year approached half a million.

It's a stretch to say life went on as normal back home. In some ways, it seemed to; in many ways, not.

Some popular songs from 1969 (The Boxer; Bad Moon Rising; In the Year 2525) carried heavy themes. Most (Sugar Sugar; Honky Tonk Women; Ob-Bla-Di, Ob-La-Da) didn't.

The Rolling Stones in 1969 in Hyde Park, London - (from left to right) Charlie Watts, Mick Taylor, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Bill Wyman.

TV variety shows featuring Red Skelton, Carol Burnett, Dean Martin and Johnny Cash chased No. 1 Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In.

The sports world was full of scene-setting memories.

Nick Weatherspoon vs. Luke Witte became one of the all-time things in Stark County basketball.

On New Year's Day, 1969, Ohio State won a national football championship by beating USC in the Rose Bowl.

Rex Kern and Ohio State in the 1969 Rose Bowl.

Buckeye defensive end Nick Roman exemplified how the tentacles of Vietnam touched people one way or another.

Coming out of Canton McKinley High School, believing he would get drafted by the military, Roman plotted a more agreeable course toward possible war-time duty, enrolling in the Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC) at Ohio State.

Unlikely saga of Kent State's greatest football team winds to 1973 MAC showdown with Miami Kent State's 1970s rise takes off with long-haired QB, an Olympian and a MAC football title Don James, Kent State football were no overnight sensations on way to memorable run How Don James ... and maybe a Rolling Stones concert changed Kent State football history May 4 shootings leave deep impressions on Kent State QB from Canton and young Nick Saban A Flash in time: The unlikely saga of Kent State's greatest football team, Part 1
Roman started for Woody Hayes' Buckeyes in 1967 and 1969 but missed the 1968 season after mangling a knee on an ROTC obstacle course.

Kent State planned for a new stadium, perhaps on campus, that might eventually seat 50,000.

An aerial view of Kent State's Dix Stadium during the 1970 season.

The new stadium instead arose off campus, initially with room for about 25,000, and opened on Sept. 13, 1969, with a 24-14 win over a Dayton team coached by future NFL giant John McVay.

The stadium wasn't finished. On game days, teams dressed in the campus basketball arena, bused a mile to the stadium, and used men's rooms for halftime meetings.

Looking back first story in series:A flash in time: The unlikely saga of Kent State's greatest football team, Part 1

Canton native Ted Bowersox lettered as a Kent State quarterback from 1969-71.

Ted Bowersox, a Canton McKinley graduate, was a sophomore quarterback for the Golden Flashes.

"I was still home in Canton in August," Bowersox recalls. "Colonial Lanes was a gathering spot, and I was there with my friend Mark Sokol. Jimmy and the Soul Blazers were playing."

He met a girl named Mary Kay. They danced and talked, but it was a bad time to start a relationship. Ted moved back to his Kent State dorm the next day for the start of football practice.

Dover's Steve Trustdorf beat out Bowersox and started the Dayton game and then games on Sept. 20 and Sept 27.

A concert poster promoting a James Gang concert in 1970.

On Sept. 28, James Gang headlined a "Free Festival of Life" concert at Fred Fuller Park in Kent, where the lineup included The Measles, Damnation of Adam Blessing, and Glass Harp.

Six days later, Bowersox started in place of Trustdorf against Buffalo.

"My first play was a handoff to Don Nottingham," Bowersox recalls. "I missed the handoff."

He tucked the ball and ran a long way. He made four more starts in a 5-5 season that ended with a 17-14 upset of Miami on Nov. 15.

On Nov. 16, Cleveland beat Pittsburgh en route to the NFL Championship Game. Had the Browns defeated the Vikings there, they would have faced Kansas City in Super Bowl IV. Instead, Alliance's Len Dawson led the Chiefs past Minnesota.

Chiefs quarterback Len Dawson receives a congratulating handshake from head coach Hank Stram near the victorious finish against the Vikings in Super Bowl IV, Jan. 11, 1970, at Tulane Stadium in New Orleans.

Basketball season replaced football. In the 1970 NBA draft, on March 23, Bob Lanier, Rudy Tomjanovich and Pete Maravich were picked 1-2-3; Kent State's Tom Lagodich, from Canton South, went 143rd overall to the expansion Cleveland Cavaliers.

On May 1, Cleveland Indians ace Sam McDowell took a 3-2 lead into the ninth, but the Kansas City Royals won in 17 innings. The game lasted five hours.

It was the day the trouble began at Kent State.

May 1 was a Friday. About 500 people gathered on the campus commons to protest an apparent expansion of the war. Later, downtown violence prompted an early closing of bars.

National Guardsmen stand in relief as flames from the Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) building at Kent State University rise into the night sky on May 2, 1970. The guard arrived on campus earlier that evening after the mayor of Kent, LeRoy Satrom, declared a state of emergency.

As tensions heightened on May 2, Kent Mayor LeRoy Satrom asked Governor James Rhodes to send in the National Guard. By the time the Guard arrived around 10 p.m., Kent State's ROTC building had burned to the ground.

In Kent for a May 3 press conference, Rhodes blamed "people who just move from one campus to the other and terrorize the community. They're worse than the brown shirts and the communist element and also the night riders and the vigilantes."

The charred ROTC building is fenced off as protesters, National Guardsmen and onlookers fill the Kent State Commons are on May 4, 1970.

Helicopters maneuvered above campus as National Guardsmen and police spread out. After sundown, Guardsmen used tear gas to scatter the crowd from the commons.

The Guard resumed positions on Monday morning, May 4. An estimated 3,000 people repopulated the commons. A victory bell used after football games rang and inspired a dull roar.

Ohio National Guardsmen span the top of Blanket Hill as they head back toward the Commons at Kent State University, May 4, 1970. Moments before, the guardsmen had opened fire on demonstrators and bystanders, killing four students and wounding nine.

Around noon, bullhorn warnings to disperse heightened a clamor the word "cacopohony" only begins to describe, leading to an inexplicable chapter in American history.

At 12:24 p.m., Guardsmen moving up a hill turned and opened fire on an unarmed crowd.

On May 4, 1970, members of the Ohio National Guard fired into a crowd of Kent State University demonstrators, killing four and wounding nine Kent State students.

Students Allison Krause, 19; Bill Schroeder, 19; Jeffrey Miller, 20, and Sandra Scheurer, 20, all died, shot in the proximity of the architecture building, within view of the ROTC building rubble.

In his 2005 autobiography, Nick Saban, then a freshman, said he attended an 11 a.m. English class before joining a friend for lunch on campus, with plans to "wander by the rally out of curiosity."

A student throws back a tear gas canister below Taylor Hall on the Kent State campus on May 4, 1970. Protesters clashed with Ohio National Guard units that were sent to campus to quell unrest.

The rest of the excerpt:

"As we made our way out of the cafeteria, someone ran up to us, hysterical, saying that people had been shot.

"We quickly made our way to the quad area where the rally was taking place, but we were prevented from getting too close. Smoke and sirens filled the air as ambulances dashed across the grass.

"I could see people lying on the ground, all covered in blood. … My heart sank into my chest."

Ohio National Guardsmen open fire on students, some of whom are fleeing for cover into Taylor Hall. Four students died and nine others were wounded during student protests against the Vietnam War on May 4, 1970 Kent State.

A documentary released 30 years later condensed the incomprehensible into the title: "Kent State, The Day the War Came Home."

A face in the May 4 crowd was Chrissie Hynde, a Kent State freshman from Akron's Firestone High School.

Chrissie Hynde, lead singer of The Pretenders, is shown in this October 1995 file photo.

In her 2015 autobiography, "Reckless: My Life As A Pretender," Hynde recalled a sound like fireworks that turned out to be gunfire.

"The Guardsmen themselves looked stunned," Hynde wrote. "We looked at them and they looked at us. They were just kids, 19 years old, like us."

Saban was 18, a student in one of Allison Krause's classes.

Nick Saban, who played safety for Kent State from 1970-72, poses for an undated photo.

In an recent interview with The Canton Repository, he said it was much to digest.

"I was just a kid coming from West Virginia who had been working at my dad's service station station from the time I was 11," he said "It was my freshman year. I finished the semester from home."

Bowersox forgot about being Kent State's quarterback of the future. As he noted in a recent interview, "The whole world came crashing down."

On May 4, Bowersox wound up near the scene captured in a famous photograph of a girl screaming above Jeffrey Miller's body.

Mary Ann Vecchio screams as she kneels over the body of Kent State University student Jeffrey Miller on May 4, 1970.

"I was on my way back to my dorm," Bowersox said. "I'm coming over the hill next to the architecture building.

"I was standing right by the blood. I'm standing there looking at it.

"You could smell the smoke in the air. I won't go into the whole picture.

"A guy from my dorm got shot. It sounds strange, but I stopped for a second, right at the corner of what was our upper practice field, and tried to capture the moment and everything it meant.

"They sent everybody home … get out of here … we're done."

The Kent State campus sits empty as an Ohio National Guard jeep sits near Taylor Hall on the afternoon of May 4, 1970, after the university was closed following the shooting of 13 students by the National Guard.

He packed and drove home to Canton that same Monday.

"Mom and dad were in New Orleans at a convention," Bowersox said. "When I pulled into our driveway, Bob Sylvester was sitting on the front doorstep. We talked for a long time. I told him everything I saw."

Wishing not to spend the evening alone, he phoned the girl he met nine months earlier at Colonial Lanes.

"We wound up going to Taggart's," he said. "We had ice cream and we talked.

"We went out the next 17 nights in a row. We've been 'dating' ever since."

Dave Puddington, a Canton native, was the Kent State head football coach from 1968-70.

Football practice for Kent State's 1970 season started three months after the shootings under third-year head coach Dave Puddington, a decorated U.S. Navy pilot during the Korean War.

"The football team was the first group back on campus," Bowersox said. "Everybody wondered what the atmosphere was going to be like.

"They decided to print up blue and white T-shirts that said 'Kent State, we care.' They wanted us to wear them around campus.

"Dave thought the football team could set a solidifying tone after all that happened. The team felt a little like, maybe everybody doesn't agree. Are we supporting the war? Are we not supporting the war?

"George Austin, a player from McKinley, was maybe more liberal than some people. He wasn't in concurrence. That whole thing started to take a different, awkward shape.

"The coach wore a flat-top. I had a little bit of hair down to my ears. Dave came up and said, 'I think you might be due for a haircut there, Teddy.' I said, 'I don't think so. What do you mean?'

"A lot of players eventually turned on the coach.

"I bet you 95% of us, including myself, didn't know he had been in the Korean War."

Fred Blosser, from Dalton, walked on at Michigan in 1967 and transferred to Kent State in 1968.

Before he became a longtime educator, Fred Blosser, shown here shortly before his 2008 retirement as Massillon superintendent, starred in football at Kent State in the early 1970s.

Blosser became Kent State's starting center, twice making first team, All-Mid-American Conference.

"It was a tumultuous time going into the 1970 season," he said. "There was a lot of negativity on campus."

The new stadium hosted home games in 1969 but wasn't dedicated until 1970, four months after the shootings. The 1970 home opener brought a 24-14 loss to Ohio. The Golden Flashes soon lost a road game to Bowling Green 44-0.

Puddington resigned shortly after a 3-7 season, citing "a prevailing contagious negativism on campus and in the community."

Part four

Some names from 1971 still resonate with almost everyone of a certain age.

Archie Bunker introduced himself on television.

"The Jesus Revolution" made the cover of Time magazine.

Led Zeppelin introduced Stairway to Heaven to its concert playlist.

Led Zeppelin

Led Zeppelin

Smokin' Joe Frazier fought Muhammad Ali at Madison Square Garden.

Don James never got THAT big, but he certainly found his day in the sun.

James wasted little time in assembling the greatest football team in Kent State University history. Later, at Washington, he beat the big shots out of a national championship.

University of Washington coach Don James, center, quarterback Billy Joe Hobert, left, and Beno Bryant, right, all agree they're No.1 as they accept the McDonald's Trophy in Anaheim, Calif., Jan. 2, 1992. They were chosen No.1 in the USA Today-CNN coaches poll.

In 1971, though, Donald Earl James, pushing 40, was a nobody in a bad situation.

He was a first-time head coach, 22 years removed from quarterbacking the Massillon Tigers, arriving at Kent State in the murky wake of a national tragedy.

Don James starred for Chuck Mather's powerful Massillon football teams​

Kent State University head football coach Don James in a photo from March 1971.

The backstory ...

James grew up in Perry Township when there was no Perry High School, when enduring the Great Depression and then World War II were things everyone had in common.

The big event of his young life was chancing to meet Carol Hoobler when they were 14-year-olds attending a Fireman's Festival.

They became a star couple, quarterback and cheerleader, at Massillon Washington High School when Massillon's favorite son, Paul Brown, got a dynasty going with the Cleveland Browns.

Kent State head football coach Don James in an undated photo.

James' high school coach was Chuck Mather, whose 57-3 record jumped him straight into a head coaching job at the University of Kansas.

In the 1949 Massillon team picture, James, wearing No. 56, sports a buzz cut and ornery snarl, standing behind Walt Houston, whose brothers Lin and Jim became main men on Paul Brown's Cleveland teams.

The 5-foot-9 James looked tiny next to the lanky Mather.

Unlikely saga of Kent State's greatest football team winds to 1973 MAC showdown with Miami Kent State's 1970s rise takes off with long-haired QB, an Olympian and a MAC football title Don James, Kent State football were no overnight sensations on way to memorable run How Don James ... and maybe a Rolling Stones concert changed Kent State football history May 4 shootings leave deep impressions on Kent State QB from Canton and young Nick Saban A Flash in time: The unlikely saga of Kent State's greatest football team, Part 1
It was the heyday of the McKinley-Massillon rivalry, and James' last high school game was for the 1949 state championship. Bup Rearick's Bulldogs came in having outscored nine victims 383-51.

James played quarterback in a game witnessed by 23,000 in Fawcett Stadium that came down to two big plays.

On the first, McKinley's Lou Mariano seemed headed for a touchdown before Massillon's Ace Crable dropped him in the open field. On the second, on fourth-and-3, Mather allowed James to call the play, on which he handed off to Crable, who ran 35 yards for a touchdown.

Don James played quarterback for Miami Hurricanes before becoming a college football coach​

Mariano stayed in Ohio and played his way into Kent State's Hall of Fame. James got way out of town, starting at quarterback for two years on Miami Hurricanes teams that went 9-12. His time in Miami, Florida, nominally foreshadowed events agaist Miami (Ohio).

Mather brought James to Kansas as a graduate assistant. The Jayhawks went 8-10-2 in his two seasons.

James then worked for six years at Florida State (25-31-7 record), two years at Michigan (10-10), and three years at Colorado (18-14).

Kent State University football coach Don James poses for a photo Aug. 26, 1974

"Wow, Kent State just hired Don James," said … no one.

He was somebody back home.

Don and Carol went to the University of Miami together, again becoming quarterback and cheerleader, but also husband and wife.

Don's older brother Tommy was one of Paul Brown's better players in the Browns' dynasty years of the 1940s and '50s.

'Class personified'​

Kent State head football coach Don James talks on the sideline during a game in an undated photo.

As Don honed a Kent State recruiting network, he scheduled a practice game at Canton Central Catholic High School, right between the Massillon and McKinley talent bases.

He built a friendship with Massillon head coach Bob Commings, a kindred spirit. Commings was born on Christmas Eve, 1932. James was born on New Year's Eve, 1932.

James was influenced by Paul Brown, Tommy's coach at Massillon, Ohio State and Cleveland. Over time, Don could be, like Brown, as cold as needed to expedite football business. He was more naturally gregarious than the great "PB."

James made friends in the media without coming across as pandering. This helped generate good publicity.

Ray Yanucci, who wrote for the Akron Beacon Journal then, recently said, "Don James and his wife both were class personified."

Dave Udelf, now a Cleveland psychologist, was a student writer from Miami (Ohio) University when he interviewed James after a big game featured later in this series.

"I was surprised at the level of respect he showed to a young person he had never met," Udelf said. "He listened to questions and answered them thoughtfully."

The 1971 season wasn't going well when James steered a student reporter to an interview with prized freshman Larry Poole, from Akron Garfield.

Kent State University football head coach Don James joins Garfield High School's Larry Poole on signing day in March of 1971.

Poole explained to The Daily Kent Stater why he turned down offers from bigger schools:

"First of all, Don James really impressed me as a coach and as a wonderful man.

"Secondly, I had a funny feeling things were going to change at Kent State."

Success for Kent State football did not happen overnight with Don James​

Freshmen weren't allowed to play for varsities under NCAA rules of 1971. In contrast to the instant overhauls of the transfer portal era, James operated his first season almost entirely with his predecessor's recruits.

A few notes on the 1971 roster:

Nick Saban, who played safety for Kent State from 1970-72, poses for an undated photo.

• Quarterbacks Larry Hayes and Steve Broderick combined to throw three touchdown passes and 14 interceptions.
  • Gary Pinkel, a sophomore from Akron Kenmore High School, became a longtime head coach at Toledo and Missouri.
  • Twin brothers Renard and Bernard Harmon turned into key players for the long haul.
  • Fullback John Matsko, from Cleveland, went on to a 20-year career as an NFL line coach.
  • Nick Saban, a sophomore safety in 1971, said James brought one of the most boring words in sports, "process," to life.
Gary Pinkel (center) signs to attend Kent State as Dick Fortner (left) and Tom Phillips look on.

"People who were at Kent State before Coach James wanted to win, but were they committed to doing all the things they needed to do to be able to win?" Saban said in a recent interview. "It wasn't nearly what it needed to be. That happened after Coach James came."

It didn't happen overnight, not even with future Pro Football Hall of Famer Jack Lambert taking over at middle linebacker after a year on the freshman team.

In Game 2, a 42-20 loss at Cincinnati, the Golden Flashes fumbled the opening kickoff and allowed 399 rushing yards.

The next week at Ohio, they trailed 24-0 at halftime.

In mid-November, via a 30-10 home loss to Miami (Ohio), the team set a Kent State record for points allowed in a season.

In the finale, with a chance to upset MAC champ Toledo, which was without star quarterback Chuck Ealey, the Rockets rolled anyway, 41-6.

Frequently it was a frustration-fest. During one home game, when a fan screamed to James to change quarterbacks, James turned and screamed an invitation to the heckler to c'mon down and put on a helmet. The coach gave a public apology after the game.

There were bright spots, starting with James' Kent State debut, a 23-21 win at North Carolina State.

The record was 1-3 after a 17-14 loss to Iowa State in the first home game, but Cyclones head coach Johnny Majors threw the Golden Flashes a big compliment:

"I admired the hell out of the way they played."

The other wins were over Xavier, which dropped football two years later, and Marshall, almost exactly one year after a plane crash that killed 75 people either on or attached to the team.

Fred Blosser was gone to graduation after the '71 season, but the experience left a mark. Decades later when James returned for an event at Kent State, Blosser worked through a crowd to say hello, supposing James wouldn't remember him.

Instead, James extended his hand with a melting warmth and said, "My first captain!"

"He was just a good human being," Blosser says now, 10 years after James' death.

Legendary Washington football coach Don James greets fans prior to a game against Oregon, Saturday, Nov. 5, 2011, in Seattle.

The 1971 season ended on Nov. 20. One of the strangest stories of the year unfolded on Nov. 24.

During a flight from Portland, Oregon, a passenger told a flight attendant he had a bomb. He demanded $200,000 and a parachute when the plane landed in Seattle. Upon arrival, the money was brought on board, and everyone but pilots and a flight attendant were set free.

The plane took off again and was in the air for 23 minutes when the hijacker opened the back hatch and jumped. He was never apprehended.

A few years later, Don James flew to Seattle under different fascinating circumstances.

Part 5

• The Rolling Stones figure into the start of the Don James era at Kent State.
  • Nick Saban, one of Don James' players, sets the scene behind a dramatic reversal.
  • Former Canton, Massillon school superintendent Fred Blosser was in the middle of Kent State history.
Fred Blosser played football so long ago and spent so many years in a necktie that people forgot he was a tremendous Kent State center — if they ever knew.

As superintendent in the Fairless, Dalton, Canton and Massillon school districts, Blosser came across as a smart, tough, get-'er-done, even restless dynamo.

The traits must have applied to his days in a helmet. Except, fearless Fred was a little wary of Bob Bender.

Kent State's 1970 football season unfolded months after the May 4 shootings and was full of incongruity and strife.

was a little wary of Bob Bender.

Kent State's 1970 football season unfolded months after the May 4 shootings and was full of incongruity and strife.

Before he became a longtime educator, Fred Blosser, shown here shortly before his 2008 retirement as Massillon superintendent, starred in football at Kent State in the early 1970s.

The only Golden Flash to make first-team, All-Mid-American Conference was Blosser; none made second team.

Head coach Dave Puddington got caught in a toxic May 4 aftermath. His Flashes lost 44-0 to Bowling Green early, and he resigned when a 3-7 season ended.

It took some guts for Don James to walk into that situation, but he wasn't getting any younger, and the Kent State job, whatever the difficulties, was available and close to home.

Kent State University football coach Don James poses for a photo Aug. 26, 1974

'The man at the top': Don James takes over as Kent State football's coaching​

James' persona and appearance resembled that of Coach Norman Dale, the movie coach immortalized by Gene Hackman in "Hoosiers."

"Everybody knew there was a new sheriff in town," recalls Ted Bowersox, who had been a starting quarterback under Puddington. "It was night and day. Whatever you had thought you were getting away with, you didn't get away with Don James."

James played high school ball for Massillon, near Blosser's hometown.

They met in 1967 at Michigan, where Blosser was a freshman walk-on and James was an assistant coach. Blosser transferred to Kent State in 1968.

They reconnected at Kent State in 1971, not on a chummy basis, but in a way that led James to make Blosser a team captain.

Former Kent State football coach Don James (left) poses for an undated photo with one of his first Golden Flashes' team captains, Fred Blosser.

"Don watched our practices from a tower," Blosser recalls. "From that bird's eye view, he seemed to have 12 sets of eyeballs.

"Everyone knew their actions and attitudes were being scrutinized by the man at the top.

"Some players didn't like the new intensity. A few threw down their helmets and walked off the field. Coach James would just calmly say to an assistant coach, 'Have the trainer collect his equipment.'"

Bob Bender needed a team. His original team, Buffalo, dropped football after the 1970 season. James welcomed Bender to Kent State, where, according to Blosser, he stood out in 1971 spring practice.

"Don increased the contact at practice," Blosser said. "There was a one-on-one drill at a rack that was about three feet off the ground. That was pretty intense.

"That led to the spring game, which Don arranged in a new way. The first-team offense went against the first-team defense in full game conditions.

"I had been working against Bob Bender. He was as tough as any middle linebacker I ever went against.

"I recall as clearly as yesterday the night before the spring game. I could hardly sleep because I knew I would be going against Bob.

"We went to team breakfast the morning before the spring game and people were saying, 'Bender left camp.'

"I had no idea why."

Bender's disappearance is a magical mystery tour in Kent State football history.

Kent State football player Nick Saban poses for a photo in an undated photo from either the 1971 or 1972 season

The Rolling Stones find a bodyguard on the Kent State football roster​

Nick Saban was a sophomore safety when James took over in 1971. In 2021, on the radio show that is part of his Alabama coaching gig, Saban shared a story about a Rolling Stones concert at which Kent State players were hired as part of the band's security force.

“Bender’s on the stage," Saban said. "Mick Jagger comes off. Somebody tries to throw something at him and Bender knocks it out of his hand. Jagger calls him in and hires him as the bodyguard."

The Rolling Stones perform at Madison Square Garden, July 26, 1972, New York.

In a more recent interview, with The Canton Repository, Saban admitted memories of those times can get blurred.

Bender did indeed become a bodyguard for Jagger, and is quoted in old Rolling Stone magazine articles about that line of work.

Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones, left, sings to a crowd of more that 25,000 fans at Madison Square Garden in New York, July 24, 1972, with Keith Richards on lead guitar.

In a 1975 cover story, Rolling Stone described him as Bob “Mr. Goodbar” Bender – the 260-pound blond security man who sat and sunned himself for 90 minutes every morning at the pool."

The article notes that Bender befriended Kent State baseball player Jim Stepp, who formed Sunshine Security to work at Midwestern rock concerts; Bender signed up.

On July 11, 1972, the Stones played to an estimated 50,000 at the Akron Rubber Bowl. Advance tickets cost $5.50; Stevie Wonder was the warmup act; the crowd became unwieldy.

The Rubber Bowl is filled to capacity for the Rolling Stones on July 11, 1972, in Akron.

Bob Bender exits as Kent State's middle linebacker, in steps a future Pro Football Hall of Famer​

Blosser is sure only that he anticipated a long day against Bender in the practice game, that Bender didn't show, and that he never saw him again.

Blosser had no inkling why Bender vanished until he caught wind of Saban's 2021 explanation (Bender actually remained at Kent State as a student, en route to a long career in security, these days with Billy Joel).

It isn't even Blosser's favorite part of the story.

"I was relieved Bender was not there," he said. "Instead I had to go against a middle linebacker they moved from defensive end to middle linebacker."

The new middle linebacker went on to be a Pittsburgh Steelers icon and first-ballot Pro Football Hall of Famer.

Kent State University football star Jack Lambert poses for a photo in October 1972.

"I might be the only center who was relieved to go against Jack Lambert," Blosser said.

Lambert came from Mantua Crestwood High School, 15 miles north of Kent. He wasn't a good enough quarterback and was too skinny a defensive end to attract Ohio State. His interest in Miami (Ohio) wasn't reciprocated.

He became a Kent State freshman a few months after the May 4 tragedy. The NCAA didn't allow freshmen to play then, but they could practice.

Puddington kept Lambert at his Crestwood position, defensive end, for workouts leading up to the 1970 season.

Bowersox, coming off five starts at quarterback, was trying to beat out Steve Broderick and Larry Hayes.

"I was rolling for a pass and I got slammed by Jack Lambert," Bowersox recalls. "He just knocked the crap out of me. He knocked me out.

"I don't remember how I got from the field to the training table. I got a whole bunch of shots in my neck. I have arthritis there now. I can't turn my head to the right because of Jack."

Lambert worked at defensive end until Bender was a no-show for the spring game. The revised battle — center Blosser vs. middle linebacker Lambert — began that day and resumed in summer practice.

Steelers linebacker Jack Lambert is shown in Three Rivers Stadium locker room in Pittsburgh before an AFC playoff game against the Oakland Raiders, Jan. 4, 1976. Lambert, the Associated Press Defensive Rookie of the Year, was a three-year letterman at Kent State.

"Jack was extremely, extremely intense," Blosser said. "He was the only person who got to me so much that the coaches had to break us up. After I had a successful block or two on him he shoved my face into the dirt, which I didn't like.

"He wasn't upset with me. I hold nothing against him for that. It showed he had something in him."

Kent State head football coach Don James confers with an assistant on the sideline during a game in an undated photo.

Despite another losing season in 1971 the Golden Flashes were 'coming into our own because of Don James'​

The Don James era began with a 23-21 win at North Carolina State on a last-second field goal by Gordon Ober. It was a mirage.

November losses to Miami and Toledo by a combined 71-6 score put a damper on a 3-8 season.

Kent State football went from troubled to invisible. Of the 48 players who made first- or second-team, All-MAC in James' first year, none was a Golden Flash.

Kent State University head football coach Don James in a photo from March 1971.

It seems fair to observe James' biggest task in that first season was normalizing the environment so soon after the 1970 campus shootings.

In his recent interview with The Repository, Saban thought otherwise.

"Don James was so positive in the way he approached things," Saban said. "He had a process in the way he wanted to do things.

"The transition in what you called trying to normalize things didn't even seem like it existed. It was more like, 'I don't care what the circumstances are. This is the way we're going to go about this.'

"He came up with a plan of, how do we minimize the effect of this and maximize what we're trying to accomplish? How can we try to help you create value for your future, play here, have success and graduate? That's the best I can explain it, I guess."

Saban played on the same side of the ball as Lambert.

"Bob Bender was a really good player," Saban said. "Don James had to replace him. Don took the attitude that what seemed to be a real negative turned into a real positive.

Kent State linebacker Jack Lambert (right) talks to his teammates in a defensive huddle in an undated photo.

"Jack moved to middle linebacker. He was such a great competitor. He brought a different mentality to the whole team, really."

Blosser's time at Kent State was up after the 1971 season.

"We were just coming into our own when I left," he said. "We were coming into our own because of Don James."

Just a few random thoughts after reading the Kent State series:

I was intrigued by Kent coach Dave Puddington from the article and learned he was a Canton Lehman grad from the late 40's. He never coached after leaving Kent instead going into college administration roles.

I always felt like if Don James coached at Ohio State he'd receive way more recognition. One of the most underrated Tigers in terms of accomplishment on the big stage. If I ran Ohio State back in the mid to late 1970's.....I would have brought Don James to Columbus....now....OSU wanted Lou Holtz back then but the deal never finalized. So they took Earle Bruce. I would rather have had Don James and that includes taking him over Holtz. James was a consistent winner without the drama of Holtz or Lou's propensity to job hop every 3-4 years which he did prior to Notre Dame. The other aspect was if Ohio State hired James you wouldn't have wound up with John Blooper.

Gary Pinkel did some serious coaching getting Missouri off to a strong start when they joined the SEC. I think they won the SEC East like, what, three years in a row?

I believe Lambert's family owned a floral shop in Mantua.

The writing of this series is vintage Doerschuk.

Canton South should name their press box after Steve Doerschuk.

#PACtion

Last edited:
The writing of this series is vintage Doerschuk.

Canton South should name their press box after Steve Doerschuk.

#PACtion
Actually I think this is one of his best series of articles....he is very good at this type of writing. I have known him since he started at the Rep...his sense of humor is different...once you understand that then you understand him. He is to Canton South, like I am to Lake and Rich is to Tuslaw.

Aaaaand we're off!

By the way, I think it's amazing that the TM symbol is in the URL. Haha!

Here is part 6

• The Don James era hits high gear going into Kent State's game of the century.
  • A blizzard hits, but an MAC-record crowd shows up at Dix Stadium anyway.
  • Jack Lambert's future Steelers teammates steals player of the year honors from him.
Marty Cooper had no clue what he was getting the world into when he paused on a Manhattan sidewalk in the spring of 1973 and made the world's first handheld cell phone call.

It was a day before ribbon cutting for the World Trade Center, soon followed by the opening of "the world's tallest building," Sears Tower, in Chicago.

In Kent, Ohio, spring football practice was on, and things were looking up.

A bustling conglomeration of stories merged into the best Kent State football team of all-time as Don James launched his third year.

Kent State golfer Herb Page lived in the roof of the clubhouse of the university golf course. Coach James loved to tee it up. A relationship began.

Herb Page, who went on to become Kent State's longtime golf coach, kicked for the Golden Flashes during the Don James era.

It so happened Page could kick a football a long way. He accepted an invitation to football practice and soon was a two-sport athlete, fascinated by his new surroundings.

"I learned a lot about football, sitting in that dressing room, from undoubetdly one of the greatest coaches of all time, Don James," Page says now.

The roster was a perfect storm of players James inherited (Jack Lambert, Nick Saban, Gary Pinkel, etc.) and guys he brought in (Larry Poole, Larry Faulk, Gerald Tinker, and so on).

Team photo of the 1972 Kent State Golden Flashes who won the Mid-American Conference championship and played in the Tangerine Bowl.

From Staten Island sandlot football to college football standout at Kent State​

"We won the MAC in 1972 and grew from that," recalls Tom Buchheit. "Don brought guys in from everywhere if he felt they could help the program.

"Mike Mauger was at Wisconsin and came to Kent State. Don and Mike both were from Massillon. Don knew Mike's mom and dad and actually had baby-sat Mike.

"We had players coming from Ohio State who maybe didn't make the grade and were looking for a place to play. We had married guys staying in student apartments."

'
'A Flash in time' | Epilogue: Jack Lambert talks Kent State's greatest football team, more Last word on Kent State's greatest football team: 'Life would be different if I hadn't gone there' Unlikely saga of Kent State's greatest football team winds to 1973 MAC showdown with Miami Kent State's 1970s rise takes off with long-haired QB, an Olympian and a MAC football title Don James, Kent State football were no overnight sensations on way to memorable run How Don James ... and maybe a Rolling Stones concert changed Kent State football history May 4 shootings leave deep impressions on Kent State QB from Canton and young Nick Saban A Flash in time: The unlikely saga of Kent State's greatest football team, Part 1

Buchheit was a backup quarterback one year and an All-MAC safety the next. Cedric Brown, from Columbus, arrived as a quarterback but switched to safety en route to a long career with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Buchheit's story began in New York City, where he attended a Staten Island high school that didn't have football.

"I played sandlot football and went to a community college and sent around films hoping someone would give me a chance," Buchheit said. "One thing Don James always said was, 'Any kid who wants to play that badly, I'm going to give him a chance.'"

Nick Saban, a Kent State assistant football coach from 1973-76, poses for a photo in 1975.

Nick Saban moves from the field to sideline becoming Kent State graduate assistant​

Saban, one of the married students, exchanged vows with his high school sweetheart, Terry Constable, during Christmas break of 1971.

Terry worked as a bank teller and took night classes. Nick balanced studies, football, playing shortstop for Kent State's baseball team, driving a Coca-Cola truck, and working the Roadway Express loading docks.

He grew up in West Virginia coal country, playing youth football for his dad, later quarterbacking a high school state championship team.

He pumped gas at his dad's service station connected to a Dairy Queen operated by his mom.

His dream school, West Virginia, didn't recruit him. He declined an appointment to the U.S. Naval Academy. He considered Miami (Ohio) and Bowling Green, but Kent State was fairly near home, and also close to relatives in Canton.

Nick Saban (in the air) defends a pass for Kent State in an undated photo.

He was a senior safety at Kent State in 1972 when he broke a leg late in the season.

"Nick was an extremely thorough person ... almost annoyingly," Buchheit recalls with a laugh.

Saban hung around the team for the last few games with his broken leg. James saw potential and made an offer applying to 1973.

"I'd like you to be a graduate assistant."

Nick Saban, a Kent State assistant football coach from 1973-76, talks to a Golden Flash player in an undated photo.

Saban was a married business major with a dream of owning a car lot.

"No thank you," he replied.

James didn't take no for an answer, and Saban was back in football neck deep when the '73 Golden Flashes opened with a 10-3 win over Louisville.

Nick Saban, a Kent State assistant football coach from 1973-76, encourages the Golden Flashes from the sideline in an undated photo.

Saban now says the 1973 Golden Flashes were "much better" than their '72 MAC championship selves, and that showed in a 35-7 romp at Ohio U in Game 2.

He called his dad from Athens to chat about the big win, but no one could find him. After the bus returned to Kent, he learned his dad had collapsed while jogging and was dead at 46.

Saban wanted to move home, but was talked out of it.

1973 Kent State Golden Flashes start rolling with game vs. Don Nehlen-coached Bowling Green​

The next game was a 17-9 loss at San Diego State. Then, things clicked.

Don Nehlen's Bowling Green team arrived with a 4-0 record on Oct. 13.

Don Nehlen, kneeling in front, poses for an undated photo when he was head coach at Bowling Green.

Tim Miller, who had been a quarterback for Nehlen at Canton South High School, attended with his younger brother Mark, a senior QB at South.

"Don came out of the locker room and talked to Tim before the game," Mark Miller recalls. "I overheard Don saying, 'We are in real trouble today. We are beat up, and Kent State is very good.'

"Kent smacked 'em pretty good."

A school-record crowd of 25,137 filled Dix Stadium to see a 21-7 win.

Then came three victories outside the MAC, highlighted by a win at Utah State, which had been 5-1.

Kent State vs. Miami, nationally-ranked 1973 showdown​

"Let's Get It On" was all over AM radio. Marvin Gaye didn't record it with football in mind, but the title seemed to fit Kent State's upcoming home game against Miami (Ohio).

"I tell people to this day that we were ranked 19th in the country, and Miami was ranked 17th," Herb Page said, "and they don't believe it."

It was true.

No. 17 Miami, 8-0, had nonconference wins at Purdue and at South Carolina. No. 19 Kent State aimed for a repeat of the previous year's 21-10 win at Miami.

The fierce Miami (Ohio) defense, which was led by Brad Cousino, stops Florida fullback Vince Kendrick (20) during the first quarter in the Tangerine Bowl, Dec. 22, 1973, Gainesville, Fla.

Miami head coach Bill Mallory was in his sixth season, soon to be hired away by Colorado.

Nine of the 11 defensive players who would make first-team All-MAC were from Miami (Bill Blind, Herman Jackson, Brad Cousino, Mike Monos, Dan Rebsch) or Kent State (Larry Faulk, Walt Vrabel, Jack Lambert, Bernard Harmon).

Both teams were colorful.

Kent State linebacker Jack Lambert (right) gets set to make a tackle in a 1972 game.

"It was a huge day," then-Miami safety John McVay says now. "Kent State had a tremendous team.

"Lambert always looked like the best guy on the field to me. It felt like I needed to play 30 yards deep against Gerald Tinker.

"They had Larry Poole and Mike Mauger in the backfield and Tinker on the flank."

Kent State wide receiver Gerald Tinker runs after a catch in an undated photo.

Kent State quarterback Greg Kokal looks to throw during a 1972 game.

Greg Kokal was Kent State's quarterback, but that hadn't been the plan.

The previous year, starting QB Larry Hayes broke a leg in the opener against Akron. No. 2 QB Daryl Hall then went in and out of the lineup with a back issue.

Another QB ahead of Kokal asked out of a road trip because his girlfriend was having her appendix out.

Hall was the No. 1 QB coming out of 1972 before back surgery ended his career.

Kokal's time came early.

The gales of November came early.

Weather turns wintery ahead of Kent State-Miami game​

Miami bused to Kent in a blizzard. Crews worked through wee hours to make places to sit in Dix Stadium. The blizzard backed off, but snow kept coming on game day.

Miami's best player was Brad Cousino, like Lambert a middle linebacker. They later were Pittsburgh Steelers teammates.

Steelers linebacker Jack Lambert is shown in Three Rivers Stadium locker room in Pittsburgh before an AFC playoff game against the Raiders, Jan. 4, 1976.

"Kent was the defending MAC champ. We were undefeated. It was a big deal for us," Cousino said recently from his home in Cincinnati. "Prior to that time, Kent State was never a very good team. Miami was regularly a good team.

"In 1972 and 1973, Kent State was awesome.

"I remember the morning of the game, coming out of the hotel, getting on the bus.

"There was no talking, no giggling. But there was like … a hum. The bus almost seemed to be shaking. Nobody was actually talking. It was just an energy. I've never felt anything like it before."

On a wintery day, an MAC-record crowd of 27,363 painted a once-in-a-century scene.

Action from the 1973 Kent State football game against Miami.

Miami, who defense allowed 6.9 points per game that season, loaded up against the run and held Kent State to 41 yards on 37 carries.

"When you have to rely on your passing attack on a day like this, you're in trouble," James said afterward.

Miami holds of Kent State to win MAC on way to unbeaten season​

Kokal threw 30 passes, but Tinker, from Miami, Florida, dropped some big ones against Miami (Ohio).

A third-quarter awakening producing a Kent State touchdown that cut Miami lead to 17-10.

Cousino's play, though, got him named MAC Defensive Player of the Year honor, over Lambert.

"I'm pissed to this day at our center, Henry Waszczuk," Page said. "He just couldn't handle that guy, Cousino. He was in our backfield all day."

Waszckcuk made first-team All-MAC the next year.

"Henry didn't play that badly," Buchheit said. "The game was tightly contested."

Miami's 20-10 win turned on a touchdown involving Lambert. Steve Sanna was flushed from the pocket. Lambert chased down the Miami quarterback but hit him well out of bounds.

The penalty kept the Miami with the ball in a sequence ending in a touchdown.

Miami's MAC season was over. Kent State had one conference game left. But the race was decided.

Miami beat Cincinnati a the regular-season finale and, after a 16-7 win over Florida in the Tangerine Bowl, was 11-0, ranked No. 15 in the country, just behind the Texas Longhorns.

Miami of Ohio tailback Bob Hitchens (40) evades University of Florida defender John Lancer (60) to gain a first-quarter first down in the Tangerine Bowl, Dec. 22, 1973, Gainesville, Fla.

The entire 1973 Miami team was inducted into the school's athletic hall of fame on Sept. 23, 2023.

A week after losing to Miami, Kent State won 51-16 at Toledo. Poole had three touchdowns. Tinker scored on an 87-yard punt return and a 64-yard pass from Kokal.

The previous year's 27-9 win over Toledo was so much more satisfying. Kent State students stormed the field to celebrate an MAC championship.

The goal posts come down at Dix Stadium following Kent State's 27-9 win over Toledo to clinch the Mid-American Conference title, Nov. 18, 1972.

The 1973 season ended with a 28-7 home win over Central Michigan, giving the Golden Flashes a school-record ninth victory.

Don James' postgame excitement seemed as thin as the Dix Stadium crowd, announced at 3,870.

"It's great to know you had the winningest team in the school's history," the coach said. "When you don't win a championship, it's great to have something to fall back on, like records."

NEXT: The series closes with Don James' last season before heading to Washington, and perspectives from key players 50 years later.

Part Seven

• Final installment of a seven-part series about Kent State's best football team.
  • Key figures from golden era came out with books in recent times.
  • Massillon friend tried to steer Don James to Ohio State job.
The year 1974 was proof positive Plan A often comes unglued.

On June 4, 10-cent beer night in Cleveland got the crowd thrown out of a baseball game.

On Aug. 8, Richard Nixon resigned over Watergate less than two years after blowing out George McGovern in a Presidential election.

On Oct. 26, Frank Sinatra opened the Richfield Coliseum, but all some people remember 49 years later is the mother of all traffic jams, post-show.

The Kent State Golden Flashes went into 1974 favored to win the Mid-American Conference and exited singing that year's No. 1 song, "The Way We Were."

Oct. 12 was the day the music died.

1974 Kent State football team comes up short of expectations despite some highlights​

The Golden Flashes went to Bowling Green with a 4-1 record.

But ...

Kent State head football coach Don James talks on the sideline with quarterback Greg Kokal during a 1972 game.

Quarterback Greg Kokal was dealing with a shoulder injury from a win at Syracuse.

Jack Lambert was gone to Pittsburgh, helping the Steelers win their first Super Bowl.

Gold-medal sprinter Gerald Tinker was gone, drafted 44th overall by the Atlanta Falcons. Lambert went at No. 46, six spots after the Browns took Billy Corbett, a tackle from Johnson C. Smith College who would never play an NFL game.

'A Flash in time' | Epilogue: Jack Lambert talks Kent State's greatest football team, more Last word on Kent State's greatest football team: 'Life would be different if I hadn't gone there' Unlikely saga of Kent State's greatest football team winds to 1973 MAC showdown with Miami Kent State's 1970s rise takes off with long-haired QB, an Olympian and a MAC football title Don James, Kent State football were no overnight sensations on way to memorable run How Don James ... and maybe a Rolling Stones concert changed Kent State football history May 4 shootings leave deep impressions on Kent State QB from Canton and young Nick Saban A Flash in time: The unlikely saga of Kent State's greatest football team, Part 1
Kent State vs. Bowling Green was a rivalry game.

James and Don Nehlen were the coaches, on their way to becoming legends at Washington and West Virginia.

Don Nehlen, a former head coach for Bowling Green and West Virginia, talks during a media session for 2005 College Football Hall of Fame inductees in New York, Dec. 6, 2005. Nehlen guided WVU to two undefeated seasons, 17 winning seasons and the 1993 Big East title.

"We knew each other well," recalls Nehlen, 87. "I was a Canton guy, and Donnie was a Massillon guy. He was an outstanding person and an outstanding coach."

Mark Miller, fresh out of Canton South, was Nehlen's quarterback.

Mark Miller in action in an undated photo.

"We beat Kent State 26-10," said Miller, who was on his way to being a Round 3 draft pick by Cleveland. "That sounds like a comfortable victory, but, man, were they good.

"We overachieved that day. They underachieved. They had the most talented team in the league."

Kent State's Larry Poole set MAC career touchdown record​

James' final Kent State season had its moments.

Running back Larry Poole set an MAC record with 35 career rushing touchdowns, then spent three years with the Browns.

Kent State running back Larry Poole finds running room against Toledo.

The only MAC team to give Miami a game was Kent State. It was a 19-17 Kent State loss against a program on an astonishing roll.

Miami's 32-1-1 record from 1973-75 included Tangerine Bowl wins over SEC members Florida, Georgia and South Carolina.

Miami of Ohio tailback Bob Hitchens (40) evades University of Florida defender John Lancer (60) to gain a first-quarter first down in the Tangerine Bowl, Dec. 22, 1973, Gainesville, Fla.

"We played those SEC teams, and we beat other teams from bigger conferences," said John McVay, who was a senior All-MAC safety for Miami that year. "I say to this day the best team we played in 1973 and 1974 was Kent State."

Putting Don James' run as head football coach at Kent State in perspective​

A 7-4 finish gave James a 16-6 record for his last two seasons.

Kent State's best back-to-back seasons since then are 16-10 (2011-12), 14-9 (1976-77) and 12-10 (1987-88). The 2012 team lost in the MAC title game and went 11-3.

Larry Poole runs the football for Kent State in an undated photo.

In the last 45 years, Kent State's only four winning football seasons were 7-4 in 1987, 6-5 in 2001, 11-3 in 2012, and 7-6 in 2019.

The 2021 team bears mentioning, in that it went 7-7 overall and reached the MAC championship game.

But the point is, since the James era, there has been nothing like it.

James' 1972 team posted a modest 6-5-1 overall record, but it won the MAC title, still the only one in school history.

Team photo of the 1972 Kent State Golden Flashes who won the Mid-American Conference championship and played in the Tangerine Bowl.

Don James heads to Washington, turns Huskies into powerhouse in earning 'The Dawgfather' nickname​

James was 41 when he jumped to the University of Washington on a four-year contract paying $28,000 in the first year. The pay went up as his Huskies won conference titles in three of his first seven seasons.

His last three years produced three Pac-10 championships, a national championship and a 31-5 record.

University of Washington coach Don James, center, quarterback Billy Joe Hobert, left, and Beno Bryant, right, all agree they're No.1 as they accept the McDonald's Trophy in Anaheim, Calif., Jan. 2, 1992. They were chosen No.1 in the USA Today-CNN coaches poll.

He died in 2013.

Some of his Massillon friends are still around, including one a former Massillon Tiger teammate, Don Nist, who played golf at Ohio State.

As the 1980s unfolded, former Massillon coach Earle Bruce became associated with 8-3 seasons that were unacceptable by Buckeye standards.

Washington Huskies quarterback Warren Moon poses with coach Don James after the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Jan. 2, 1978.

James turned the Washington Huskies into a national contender, earning him a nickname, "The Dawgfather."

His 1984 team beat Miami (Ohio) 53-7 in a warmup to an 11-1 season including wins over No. 3 Michigan and No. 2 Oklahoma.

Iowa football coach Hayden Fry, left, and Washington football coach Don James met at the Rose Bowl Tournament House in Pasadena, Calif., Dec. 1, 1981 — one month before their teams met for the first time at the Rose Bowl.

Nist stayed in the loop at Ohio State and helped the Buckeyes in recruiting.

"One time Don was home," Nist recalls. "He and I and Ducky Schroeder were playing golf at The Elms.

"I said, 'Don, any chance you'd be interested in the Ohio State job? He said, 'I'd love to coach Ohio State, but my wife and kids love Seattle, so I can't even think about it.'"

Assorted journeys followed for players from the Don James era​

Kent State people from the James era have scattered.

Some huddle on occasion at Honeymoon Grille, a Portage Lakes spot where a James-era player, Dan Rector, is part of family ownership.

"We used to talk about women," said 1974 All-MAC safety Tom Buchheit, now a Massillon resident. "These days we talk about hip and knee replacements."

Bob Bender, the middle linebacker from earlier in this series who was replaced by Jack Lambert, is still working security for some of the music industry's big acts, currently Billy Joel. He had a long run as a Rolling Stones bodyguard.

In a polite text declining an interview, Bender cited "very conflicted feelings about that era."

Undersized linebacker Brad Cousino was chief villain of the 1973 Miami-Kent game that cost the Golden Flashes the MAC title.

Now living in Cincinnati, Cousino shared a story about not being one of the 442 players picked in the 1975 NFL draft.

"I had a long night … just really upset," he said. "I'm in my dorm room, 149 Hepburn Hall, when the phone woke me up the next morning.

"An older voice said, 'Is Brad Cousino there?' I said, 'Speaking.' He said, 'Brad, this is Paul Brown of the Cincinnati Bengals.

"He said, 'We'd be very interested in you tryng out for our team.'"

Cousino made three NFL teams, the Bengals, Giants and Steelers. One of his Pittsburgh teammates was Jack Lambert, 1972 MAC Player of the Year. Cousino beat out Lambert for that honor in 1973.

"Jack just had an edge to him, even when he wasn't plaing football," Cousino said. "You didn't know how to take him. He marched to his own drummer."

Lambert seldom does interviews but considered doing one for this series, with encouragement from a teammate. His perspective will be added as an epilogue if he makes himself available.

Pittsburgh Steelers connections to Kent State football​

Kent State's first two head coaches after James were Dennis Fitzgerald and Ron Blackledge.

May 4, 1970 had a lingering affect.

"You couldn't get around it," Blackledge said. "You'd try to recruit a guy and the response would be, 'Oh yeah, that's where the shootings were.'"

Timken High School icon Ron Blackledge, talking with center Mike Webster during the 1983 Hall of Fame Game at Fawcett Stadium. was the head coach at Kent State before a run as Steelers offensive line coach from 1982-91.

Fitzgerald and Blackledge wound up on Chuck Noll's Pittsburgh staff for the last three years of Lambert's NFL career.

"Jack was a vicious son of a gun when he stepped on the field," Blackledge said. "As soon as he got off the field, his attitude was, 'We did the best we could. Now concentrate on next week.'

"We'd get on the plane and Jack would have the cards all dealt out for euchre. Fitzgerald and I would play against Jack and his partner and usually win."

This is a 1975, file photo showing Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Jack Lambert. The menacing Lambert, drafted in 1974, earned All-Pro honors five times.

Lambert lives about 40 miles northeast of Pittsburgh with the reputation of a recluse.

"He's scraped little league baseball fields, and he was a self-appointed game warden, picking up road kill, doing things for the community," Blackledge said. "He had a big lake up on his property.

Some of the 1970s Golden Flashes are gone.

Nick Saban recalls paying a hospital visit to James on a Monday in 2013. As James neared the end, worn down by pancreatic cancer, Saban told his old coach of a gritty drill James used at Kent State that Saban still employs at Alabama.

"Coach James started laughing," Saban said.

Nick Saban, a Kent State assistant football coach from 1973-76, encourages the Golden Flashes from the sideline in an undated photo.

Saban laughs about where he would be had he resisted James' insistance that he stay on as a graduate assistant after his last Kent State playing season, 1972.

He has coached teams to seven national championships. He regards his dad as his greatest influence and mentions James in the next breath.

Alabama coach Nick Saban and offensive lineman Alex Leatherwood celebrate with the national championship trophy after beating Ohio State, Jan. 11, 2021. Saban has won seven national titles as a head coach.

Gary Pinkel, who made first-team All-MAC at tight end the year Kent State won the MAC title, cycled through a head coaching career that leaves him as the all-time wins leader at Toledo and Missouri.

"I talked to Gary at the 50th reunion of our MAC championship team," Tom Buchheit said. "He said us talking to the 2022 team about our 1972 team would have been like the 1922 team talking to us."

Legendary Missouri football coach Gary Pinkel eaves as he accepts his induction into the College Football Hall of Fame on Dec. 6, 2022, in Las Vegas, Nev.

Players who were inherited by or recruited by James and became NFL draft choices were Don Nottingham, Lambert, Tinker, Poole, Cedric Brown, Chuck Celek, Greg Kokal, Larry Faulk and Art Best.

Faulk changed his name to Abdul Salaam with the New York Jets and became part of the famous "New York Sack Exchange." Jets star Mark Gastineau was a loose cannon who sparred with some teammates.

The Jets' New York Sack Exchange — from left, defensive end Joe Klecko, defensive tackles Marty Lyons and Abdul Salaam, and defensive end Mark Gastineau — pose for a photo, Wednesday, Jan. 6, 1982, at the team's training facility at Hofstra University in Hempstead, L.I.

"Abdul was the solider of peace," Gastineau said in a recent interview. "He kept peace in the locker room. He kept peace on the field.

"He was in the middle of the line, big and husky and as tough as anybody that played.

"If it wasn't for him, it would have been really, really, really tough for me. He would say, 'He would always tell me, 'Marco, hang in there.'"

Salaam was in Canton this year to take in "Sack Exchange" teammate Marty Lyons' Pro Football Hall of Fame enshrinement.

"I attribute a lot of the discipline that helped me in the pros to Don James," Salaam said. "He was a heck of a friend, not just a coach. He taught us about being not just a ballplayer, but a man."

Kent State quarterback Greg Kokal looks to throw during a 1972 game.

Kokal was a quarterback and a character. He was inducted into Kent State's athletic hall of fame in 1990, the same year as Lou Holtz.

At the banquet, Kokal turned to Holtz and said, "You don't realize the influence you had on my life."

It was a joke. Holtz was head coach of the Jets in 1976 when he cut Kokal.

Kokal played in the biggest game in Kent State football history, a loss to Miami (Ohio) in 1973.

Strange. On Sept. 16, 2006, Kokal's son Mike played quarterback for Miami in a 16-14 loss to Kent State, quarterbacked by Julian Edelman.

Kent State quarterback Julian Edelman is about to be tackled by Miami University linebacker Joe Hudson during second quarter at Dix Stadium, Saturday, Oct. 6, 2007.

Cousino has three children who became Miami athletes. He wrote "Unwanted, Unworthy, Unshackled," about his personal journey away from an abuse-filled childhood. The book was published last December.

Daryl Hall, Don James' first starting quarterback, took a broader approach in "Flashback: A Young Man’s Search for Truth About the Kent State Shooting," published in 2019.

Hall has two lasting memories of his two most famous teammates:

"One was Lambert knocking me out in a spring scrimmage and spending 24 hours at the KSU health center. Two was Saban catching me under my chin with a forearm which split my chin wide open."

Kent State linebacker Jack Lambert (right) gets set to make a tackle in a 1972 game.

No hard feelings.

"They were both good friends," Hall said.

Herb Page is in Kent State's hall of fame as a golfer and a golf coach. He won 23 MAC championships in the latter capacity. In football, he kicked for two years after beginning a relationship with James on the golf course.

Longtime Kent State golf coach Herb Page kept the Hall of Fame Luncheon Club engaged throughout a memorable speech Monday, March 2, 2020.

"To this day, I regard Don James as my mentor," Page said. "The further away you get from it, the more you appreciate what was accomplished."

Page was a high school senior in Canada when the May 4 shootings occurred.

"My dad said, 'You don't need to go there,'" Page recalls. "My life would be a lot different if I hadn't gone to Kent State."

Part 8
  • Kent State football series prompts first interview with Jack Lambert in decades.
  • Lambert says game against Miami (Ohio), AFC title game against Raiders, rank as his two 'most devastating' losses.
  • Lambert talks about a "blessed life" with children and grandchildren.
Kent State linebacker Jack Lambert (right) talks to his teammates in a defensive huddle in an undated photo.

"A flash in time," a series recalling Kent State's greatest football era, teems with people talking about Jack Lambert.

It lacks the voice of Lambert himself.

The first man to the quarterback was the last man to be reached for an interview, too late for inclusion in the seven installments.

As publication of the series wrapped, though, Lambert reached out.

"You can thank Tom Buchheit," Lambert said from his home in Armstrong County, Pennsylvania, northeast of Pittsburgh. "It's a favor to him."

Buchheit, a former teammate of Lambert who lives in Massillon, encouraged his friend to chime in. Lambert agreed to his first media interview in decades.

He is a fitting subject — the best player on the best team — for a series epilogue.

Lambert is best remembered as the Pro Football Hall of Fame middle linebacker from Steelers teams that won four 1970s Super Bowls.

His road to a Portage County university, Kent State, began at a Portage County high school, Crestwood.

Lambert's famous Pittsburgh persona includes a death-star glare and blood on the chin of a toothless scowl.

Pittsburgh Steelers middle linebacker Jack Lambert (58) lines up during Super Bowl X as Dallas Cowboys QB Roger Staubach (12) prepares for the snap, Jan. 18, 1976, at the Orange Bowl. in Miami.

Legend of Jack Lambert begins at Crestwood High School​

He lost his front teeth when a Crestwood basketball teammate, Steve Poling, accidentally rammed his head into his mouth. He wore a bridge supporting false teeth and took it off when he strapped on a helmet.

Wearing double-zero, No. 00, he was a tall, slender Crestwood quarterback and defensive star for a conference championship team.

His high school football coach, Gerry Myers, had been a captain at Miami (Ohio).

"I thought Miami was a beautiful school," Lambert recalls. "Gerry Myers was trying to get me in down there. I guess they watched films and had no interest."

Kent State University football star Jack Lambert poses for a photo in October 1972.

Lambert was a beast in basketball, a scorer-rebounder who stood close to 6-foot-4. His Crestwood basketball coach, Bill Cox, knew Kent State football coach Dave Puddington and persuaded him to pursue Lambert.

Lambert's explanation of why he became a Golden Flash: "Nobody else wanted me."

He committed at about the time world history was being made on campus.

"The shootings happened in May," he said. "I got there in September. It wasn't a real good atmosphere."

He didn't see himself as a quarterback and was glad Puddington assigned him to defense.

"Who wouldn't rather hit than be hit?" he said.

He would rather not have begun college as a defensive end, though. He weighed 205 pounds, way too light even for that era.

"I tried everything to gain weight," he said. "I looked more like a basketball player.

"Even in the NFL, I would be out in Hawaii for a week at the Pro Bowl, and guys would see me with my shirt off and say, 'Are you all right?' I was that skinny."

Jack Lambert becomes standout linebacker on Don James' Kent State teams​

Don James replaced Puddington as head coach in 1971. The new regime moved Lambert to middle linebacker, where he replaced Bob Bender.

The '71 team went 3-8. The '72 team won the Mid-American Conference championship.

"Sure, it was a big deal," Lambert said. "It was the first MAC football championship in the history of the school."

Kent State University football stars Jack Lambert (left) and Gary Pinkel pose for a photo at the team's postseason banquet in front of a cake celebrating the Golden Flashes winning the 1972 Mid-American Conference championship.

It remains the only one. Kent State won division titles in 2012 and 2021 but lost the MAC championship game both years.

There were no MAC divisions and no conference championship games when Lambert played.

"There was a championship game," he protested. "It was Kent State-Miami."

The Golden Flashes won at Miami in 1972 en route to the MAC title.

Action from the 1973 Kent State football game against Miami.

They lost at home to Miami with a championship at stake in 1973.

"We were a lot better in 1973 than we were the year before," Lambert said. "Losing to Miami in 1973 was extremely devastating … one of the two most devastating losses I ever played in."

A late-hit penalty against Lambert was a key play.

"The referee said, 'You hit him too hard … you didn't have to hit him that hard,'" Lambert said. "I said to him, 'Since when it is a penalty for hitting someone too hard?'

"Years later, I had the exact same thing happen in Cleveland. The referee said, 'Lambert, you didn't have to hit him that hard.' Awwww, Lord."

The '73 loss to Miami sticks in his craw. The other "devastating loss" was to the Oakland Raiders in the 1976 AFC championship game. He regarded that as the best of the Steelers teams; except, against the Raiders, running backs Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier were out with injuries.

Steelers linebacker Jack Lambert is shown in Three Rivers Stadium locker room in Pittsburgh before an AFC playoff game against the Oakland Raiders, Jan. 4, 1976. Lambert, the Associated Press Defensive Rookie of the Year, was a three-year letterman at Kent State.

Jack Lambert carves out Hall of Fame career with his fierce play on 4 Super Bowl champion Steeler teams​

In 1990, when Lambert was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, he picked his Kent State position coach, Dennis Fitzgerald, as his presenter.

The Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 1990 — (from left) Jack Lambert; Bob St. Clair; Tom Landry; Bob Griese; Ted Hendricks; Buck Buchanan and Franco Harris — stand together the Enshrinement, Aug. 4, 1990, in Canton.

"Dennis taught me how to play with leverage," Lambert said. "I used the same techniques in the pros that I used at Kent State."

He employed some of his own techniques.

Two hits on Browns quarterback Brian Sipe got him kicked out of games. This did not surprise Ted Bowersox and Daryl Hall, Kent State quarterbacks who were knocked out by Lambert in practice.

Browns quarterback Brian Sipe tries to elude Steelers middle linebacker Jack Lambert in a 1981 game. Lambert was ejected later in the game for a hit on Sipe that put the reigning NFL MVP out of commission.

"The game at Cleveland was always my favorite," Lambert said. "There was something about that place.

"They had rusty nails and broken glass in the end zone. The visitors' locker room was like a closet. Some guys coming from big college programs and fancy stuff didn't know how to take it. To me, it was history."

Browns offensive tackle Gerry Sullivan (79) and Steelers linebacker Jack Lambert (58) tangle as a battle breaks out in the second quarter, Oct. 5, 1975 in Cleveland. Two players were tossed out of the game. The Steelers won 42-6.

Missing front teeth only added to the intimidating presence of Steelers linebacker Jack Lambert on the football field.

The Steelers won Super Bowls in four of his first six NFL seasons. Their record was 42-31 in his five seasons after that.

"The hardest part for me was the first year after I retired," he said. "What got me the most was I wasn't sore. I didn't have any pain.

"Pain was such a big part of my life. I played football for 20 consecutive years. It was the strangest thing.

"As time went on, each year got a little easier."

Jack Lambert (58) of the Pittsburgh Steelers gets ready for a snap against the Seattle Seahawks, Dec. 4, 1977. Lambert was selected to the Super Bowl 50 Golden Team in 2016.

He still watches NFL games, but not as appointment TV. Often he does something else on Sundays.

"I like to watch college football," he said. "I'm an Ohio boy, so I'm upset by the fact we lost to Michigan."

He was 16 when Ohio State beat O.J. Simpson and the USC Trojans to win a national championship.

"I remember it well," he said.

All-time draft whiff by Cleveland meant 'a Browns fan' became a Pittsburgh Steelers legend​

Lambert grew up on Cleveland football.

"I was a Browns fan for 21 years," he said, noting that ended when the Steelers drafted him in Round 2, shortly after the Browns picked a tackle who never appeared in an NFL game. "Jim Brown was my favorite player. He was always in card shows, he and Bobby Mitchell. If I was back at the Hall of Fame I'd come up to them and say, 'You mind if I sit down with my heroes?'"

This is a 1975 file photo showing Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Jack Lambert. Lambert, drafted in 1974, earned All-Pro honors five times.

Lambert was in Cleveland Municipal Stadium for the win that gave the Browns their last NFL championship.

"It was 1964," he said. "I was 12 years old. Gary Collins caught those touchdown passes.

"I would go to some Browns games. I went to Cleveland Barons games — I was a big hockey fan."

Jack Lambert enjoys life after the NFL in Western Pennsylvania in 'a good place to raise kids'​

Steelers linebacker Jack Lambert tackles Bengals running back Archie Griffin during a game in 1977.

Lambert has chosen to live outside the public eye, aside from occasional autograph-show appearances. He spent 10 years as a deputy game warden. He volunteered as a youth coach and in general helped in Crawford County youth sports.

"I don't talk to anybody (in the media)," he said. "This is the first interview I've done with anybody in 30 years."

His Pennsylvania home is on a piece of land covering more than 100 acres.

"I grew up in the country, and while I was playing football toward the end of my career, I bought this property," he said. "I've got lots of woods and a place for the kids and the grandkids to fish.

"It's nice. We love it. It's been a good place to raise kids.

"I have four kids and six grandkids and another one coming in January.

"I've been blessed. I can still go out and work every day. I'm doing something outside every day.

"I'm very thankful, because a lot of guys my age have a lot of issues. I haven't had anything serious. I've been blessed in that regard."

Pro Football Hall of Fame linebacker Jack Lambert, right, greets Steelers coach Bill Cowher, left, before a game against Washington, Saturday, Dec. 16, 2000, in Pittsburgh — the last game in the history of Three Rivers Stadium.

During a 30-minute interview, Lambert was courteous, helpful and even charming. Lambert's friend Buchheit said he is smarter and sharper than people might imagine.

A few times when Lambert laughed, it was to acknowledge how long it has been since his Kent State days.

He treasures winning championships at Crestwood, Kent State and Pittsburgh as if the level of play didn't matter.

"I played the same way at Crestwood that I did at Kent State and then in the pros," he said. "I played that way I did because I was so light. Most of the running backs weighed more than I did.

"I played with a lot of intensity. I had to be ready to play every single week or I'd have got killed out there.

"I did the best I could.

"We won championships in high school, college and the pros. That's the thing I remember most about it."

He turned 71 in July. How is he feeling?

"I've never been this old before," he said. "I don't know how I'm supposed to feel."

Reach Steve at steve.doerschuk@cantonrep.com