Ohsaa?

Major

So when is the ohsaa going to allow open mats with wrestlers having contact? Has anyone talked about it yet?

So when is the ohsaa going to allow open mats with wrestlers having contact? Has anyone talked about it yet?

I'm sure there's been discussions. I don't see schools or OHSAA allowing it until at least school starts back up. Most schools are hosting outdoor workouts for fall athletes. Athletes are social distanced. Social distancing isn't good for wrestling

I'm sure there's been discussions. I don't see schools or OHSAA allowing it until at least school starts back up. Most schools are hosting outdoor workouts for fall athletes. Athletes are social distanced. Social distancing isn't good for wrestling

Our school is allowing basketball in small groups. They can social distance and play bball though, so...

Our school is allowing basketball in small groups. They can social distance and play bball though, so...
OHSAA will have a hard time justifying any contact sports if Students can't sit next to one another while in a classroom or at lunch. The same rules that imply during school hours, I would think would have to be observed at all times while Students, Athletes, Coaches and Fans are on School property. Contact sports in Schools will start when the State decides to lift Social distance, IMO.

Clubs please and don't wait. If large groups can gather to protest, I'm positive parents and students should have the same rights. The young aren't at risk. Let them get on with their lives. Have open mats in some parking lots. Times wasting, champions are created in the offseasons. The regular season is the desert, meat and potatoes is now.

Source link please. Wife runs a testing center for Cleveland area hospital system and sees next to zero patients getting tested under the age of 20. Those that are under 25 that are getting tested are usually surgery prescreen (almost all are negative).

Currently at 74,857 cases for the 0-17 age group. I could have sworn it was 75 thousand and something yesterday.

Probably not b/c they recovered in a week or didnt even know they had it. There have been 13 deaths of kids under the age of 14 from this. If you are young and healthy you are 8x more likely to die from falling than from the virus.
The 75k+ people who have tested positive between the ages of 1 and 17 would disagree.

Whine and complain all you want, fact is schools and administrators are not going to take the risk of allowing open mats. All it takes is one kid to test positive for Covid and that shuts down everything. We are taking all precautions to not only protect the kids during lifting, but also to protect the school because, all it takes is one case which could lead to a lawsuit and then sports are really in trouble. Wrestling is the least of the concerns for schools right now who are desperately trying to figure out how they are going go have school in the fall as well as trying to have fall sports.

The 75k+ people who have tested positive between the ages of 1 and 17 would disagree.
And how many deaths have occurred? I'll bet that number is very similar to high school football deaths per year. You need to stop encouraging wrestling forever? Kids get hurt and you support that? I have followed you postings from the beginning. I stayed away from posting any response to you. Even when you didn't have positive things to say about my sons, I let it slide. But encouraging non participation in wrestling is not what you should be about. Have you spoken to a single wrestler? What do the wrestlers and parents think?

Rank the kids and give some insight. But, stop with this district is weak and this wrestler lacks this or that. Read some of Brian's reports. He had a style that seemed much more palatable. I will give you a compliment along with criticism. I don't know the amount of time you put into the rankings but it has to be a ton. Kudos for all of your effort.

That falls on the parents and whether or not they enforce the national/state mandate.
Does that enforcement apply equally to everyone? When the protest happened it ruined all models. Mark this down and we can circle back. OHSAA is going to open up totally. It doesn't mean that things can't change during the flu season, but in 2 to 3 weeks it will be full go with minimal constraints. Coaches will have to follow some practices for their health. But the restrictions are coming off the kids.

Does that enforcement apply equally to everyone? When the protest happened it ruined all models. Mark this down and we can circle back. OHSAA is going to open up totally. It doesn't mean that things can't change during the flu season, but in 2 to 3 weeks it will be full go with minimal constraints. Coaches will have to follow some practices for their health. But the restrictions are coming off the kids.
How do you know or why do you think the restrictions will come off the kids?

I hope you're right about OHSAA.

And how many deaths have occurred? I'll bet that number is very similar to high school football deaths per year. You need to stop encouraging wrestling forever? Kids get hurt and you support that? I have followed you postings from the beginning. I stayed away from posting any response to you. Even when you didn't have positive things to say about my sons, I let it slide. But encouraging non participation in wrestling is not what you should be about. Have you spoken to a single wrestler? What do the wrestlers and parents think?

Rank the kids and give some insight. But, stop with this district is weak and this wrestler lacks this or that. Read some of Brian's reports. He had a style that seemed much more palatable. I will give you a compliment along with criticism. I don't know the amount of time you put into the rankings but it has to be a ton. Kudos for all of your effort.
I never said the wrestling season should be cancelled, I simply posted stats that contradicted what you said about children not being at risk.

Article is behind a paywall but an increase in hospitalizations would not be good news if it were to happen in Ohio.

Arizona, Texas, and Utah have set new highs for hospitalizations in the last week. Alabama and South Carolina are climbing, SC is up 24% in the last week.

This isn’t increased cases due to expanded testing, these are hospital admissions. Hopefully they have learned from NYC and are better prepared.

Hopefully we don't see the same thing happen here as more and more continues to open. I want nothing more then for these high school kids to have a "normal" school year or as close to one as possible.

The good part about his ranking are...well if you or your kids don't like where they are ranked, perceives a district being week or etc....your kids get to prove it on the mat and then you can point out how wrong he is.

I've grown to enjoy his rankings. Don't always agree but doesn't mean I could do it better. Nor do I have the time or want to do it.

I could be wrong but I believe's Boro's website would take a huge hit if there's no season. Not sure it makes money for him but clicks would be way down. Plus I believe he truly enjoys the sport. I'd think he'd really be rooting for it to happen. As long as it can be done safely.

Whine and complain all you want, fact is schools and administrators are not going to take the risk of allowing open mats. All it takes is one kid to test positive for Covid and that shuts down everything. We are taking all precautions to not only protect the kids during lifting, but also to protect the school because, all it takes is one case which could lead to a lawsuit and then sports are really in trouble. Wrestling is the least of the concerns for schools right now who are desperately trying to figure out how they are going go have school in the fall as well as trying to have fall sports.
I could not agree more , i want wrestling in the winter not to be jeopardized by wrestling in June .

Hell, I have a lawsuit pending for Pickled- Cheesecake dipping dots to be sold.