OHSAA Wants To Continue To Play State Football Title Games In Canton...WHY?

I will say after spending time in the pressbox during the finals last year, this has to IMO the way the media and officials are treated. The actual crowd size continues to dwindle to such low numbers that the place looks empty.

Because no one else wants to host?

Ohio State does, the Crew haven't expressed interest in it, and the Canton setup is the only thing going aside from maybe a high school here or there might be interested. So they're going to cater to the one group that still wants them.

This WAS the same setup in PA for a while. Hershey had the games by default as eventually no one else was putting in bids. But then for new bids last time, it was Hershey, Altoona, Penn State and Cumberland Valley HS. And shocker was CVHS won. Most thought they were returning to Altoona after decades in Hershey. And Penn State was a long shot due to the cost.

Because Tom Benson Stadium is awesome. And the horseshoe is just too big. Just my opinion. Please don't try and start an argument. I gave an opinion, and I know many will disagree. I respect that. But these are people's opinions.
With the smallish crowd size, TB also is too big.

• Haha
Reactions: y2h
Off the top of my head.
I think that Upper Arlington, Cincinnati Princeton, or as said earlier in the thread the old crew stadium.
I am sure there are other places around the state.

The subject matter and anti-Canton point of view here ...

Screenshot_20230706-223638-917.png

Last edited:
Off the top of my head.
I think that Upper Arlington, Cincinnati Princeton, or as said earlier in the thread the old crew stadium.
I am sure there are other places around the state.
Princeton's stadium would not be a nice place to host a state final. They wouldn't even crack the top 3 for largest or nicest stadiums in their own conference.

I know attendance is down at the finals, but it's not small enough for Princeton to hold.

I don't know what to tell the people who continually harp on this. It's the HOF, the birthplace of professional football, the stadium is of perfect capacity.

I'm sorry about the extra 90 minutes if you're driving from Cincinnati. Columbus doesn't need the money, it makes no sense to hold them in a soccer stadium, and Ohio State gets more than enough attention and the place would be mostly empty. The games are staying in Canton.

Ohio Stadium might be too big but the kids might just want to play there. The vast majority will never get a chance to play in The Shoe.
They might not get to play in the Shoe but Ryan Day's team folded faster than a bad Shark Tank deal vs Michigan last year, so there's that. I haven't seen that level of quit since a few of my Bumble dates.

I guess they don't have anything else to do in Licking County or WKRP Radio Dave Land except bring up this expired Preakness Stakes loser of a subject and go to Lee's Famous Recipe Chicken.

Last edited:
Such a uniquely Ohio problem. If any other state had the Pro Football Hall of Fame and Tom Benson Stadium they would play the games there. Yes, Ohio Stadium is a legendary venue. But as others said, it's way too big. And an unfortunate truth for the Buckeye fans in the state is your Buckeyes really don't care about the Division 5 state final. They are looking for players in Texas and Florida instead. They are indifferent at best about the title games being there. Canton embraces it.