Ohio Heritage Conference 2023

Week 2 of HS playoff football.............Sidenote - I personally don't like the round of 16, rather a 10 or 12 pool of teams w/ byes.
BURG is a beneficiary of extended at #10 with all others being in top 8.

7 Northeastern (8-3) @ 2 Waynesville (9-2) = NE solid team, but Waynesville @ home and I think better wins on their schedule
7 Nelsonville-York (8-3) @ 2 West Jefferson (10-1) = Gotta go with my Riders @ home, but I think this will be another dog fight as a hard nose NY team visits WJ for 1st time and only 1 other game between these 2 back in '82
5 Tri Village (10-1) @ 4 West Liberty-Salem (10-1) = I have WLS as the best team in OHC even with loss to WJ and WJ actually 2nd or 3rd best. The WJ loss actually may have been the best thing they needed. WLS at home and with their running game (can also pass) and physical defense will be the difference.
8 Cedarville (8-3) @ 1 Marion Local (11-0) = Unfortunately this will be more of the same when MAC v. OHC takes place. Marion Local is just on another level even if the MAC is down a bit according to some posters.................The Flyers are not down!!!
10 Mechanicsburg (7-4) @ 2 Ansonia (11-0) = This Tiger team has only 4 of their wins against winning teams (not too unusual), but 3 of 4 moved on to 2nd round. BURG has been up and down as most young teams are, but will put up a gritty fight. Ansonia at home a bit too much to overcome for BURG.

If these hold true, not a good look for OHC still. Overall this year, I believe the OHC was a pretty competitive league this year. To go to next level we need more wins in OOC games and more playoff wins other than WLS, WJ and BURG. Still a solid, good conference.

Good luck to all tonight!!!!
anytime a league gets 2 teams into the regional semifinals it is a solid year. based off seeding, the expectation is that 2 OHC teams win (OHC is higher seed in 2 games). as long as 2 win tonight it will not be disappointing for the league.

anytime a league gets 2 teams into the regional semifinals it is a solid year. based off seeding, the expectation is that 2 OHC teams win (OHC is higher seed in 2 games). as long as 2 win tonight it will not be disappointing for the league.
I would say there is probably a shot that 4 teams make it. Crazy part is, there’s also a shot 0 do. Tonight’s games should tell us if the OHC was up or down this season.

I would say there is probably a shot that 4 teams make it. Crazy part is, there’s also a shot 0 do. Tonight’s games should tell us if the OHC was up or down this season.
completely agree with everything you said. Northeastern and Mechanicsburg are underdogs, but not by a lot. Both are playing winnable games. West Liberty Salem i tend to favor as the WOAC is just not greta. West Jeff i think rolls as long as they have rebounded from the slump in weeks 9/10. Cedarville is a sure loss but if they play a clean game they could put some points up.

my prediction- Northeastern keeps the Waynesville game within a score and has a chance to win at the end.

completely agree with everything you said. Northeastern and Mechanicsburg are underdogs, but not by a lot. Both are playing winnable games. West Liberty Salem i tend to favor as the WOAC is just not greta. West Jeff i think rolls as long as they have rebounded from the slump in weeks 9/10. Cedarville is a sure loss but if they play a clean game they could put some points up.

my prediction- Northeastern keeps the Waynesville game within a score and has a chance to win at the end.
Burg getting steam rolled by Ansonia should’ve stayed on the bus but I don’t see them going much farther in playoffs 🤷‍♂️

some surprises tonight. looks like WLS fell apart.

went to NE-Waynesville. Northeastern looked great coming out of the gate but the wheels fell off

looks like Mechanicsburg was just ready for wrestling season.

at least West Jeff is taking care of business.

some surprises tonight. looks like WLS fell apart.

went to NE-Waynesville. Northeastern looked great coming out of the gate but the wheels fell off

looks like Mechanicsburg was just ready for wrestling season.

at least West Jeff is taking care of business.
Yeah too bad Greenon got a two week head start in wrestling season. Looks like two a days for the burg to get caught up.

Rough night for the OHC. WLS gave up 2 kickoff returns for TDs, including the opening 2nd half kickoff. WLS was up 23-15 at half, Patriot TDs were a pass (busted coverage) on their first offensive play of the game and a kickoff return for a TD. Tri-Village got all of the momentum and made some great adjustments. WLS didn’t score offensively in the 2nd half. Disappointing finish, but a great season none the less. Best of luck to the RR’s moving forward.

Last edited:
you tried to make an offensive statement and it didn’t work. i’m fully aware Greenon was down this year. doesn’t change the fact that Burg had it put to them tonight.
From what I have seen Greenon better get used to an early start to wrestling season every year for awhile

Steubenville-Licking Vally could stay close, two very successful coaches.

WLS-Tri Village might be close, Tri-Village hasn’t beaten anyone so they don’t even know if they are good or not.

Canton McKinley-St Ignatius, 20 years ago this would have been for a trip to the State Final. Now, both programs are struggling.

Rest of the games look like big blowouts. Maybe Bellefountaine-London or Bloom Carrol-Jackson could be good games. I’m sure the Neisonville-York -West Jeff fame would bring back some memories but as you know neither team is remotely as good as they were in 1982. Hopefully you pick a game as good as the 82 NY-WJ game but we both know that will be very tough to do.
I started out headed west on 33 and the games I had in mind were Minster vs New Bremen, West Liberty vs Tri village, Minster be New Bremen, and Archbold vs Coldwater. I turned around at north Lewisburg due to unforeseen circumstances. Ended up at Hilliard Bradley to watch ex osu qb Stanley Jackson’s Westerville north vs Hilliard Bradley. Pretty boring first half and not the same as small school football. Second half was good. Crowd was ehhh.

From what I have seen Greenon better get used to an early start to wrestling season every year for awhile
you’re seeing wrong. if my sources are correct the Junior High team was outstanding this year so hopefully some talent coming. Greenon will be FINE. i’d be more worried about players quitting at the BURG if i were you.

I tend to want to set the bar a bit higher than that. I believe this league can offer more than 1-2 teams consistently winning playoff football games.
Unfortunately the way tonight worked out did not do much for the respect OHC is gonna get.

Rough night for the OHC. WLS gave up 2 kickoff returns for TDs, including the opening 2nd half kickoff. WLS was up 23-15 at half, Patriot TDs were a pass (busted coverage) on their first offensive play of the game and a kickoff return for a TD. Tri-Village got all of the momentum and made some great adjustments. WLS didn’t score offensively in the 2nd half. Disappointing finish, but a great season none the less. Best of luck to the RR’s moving forward.
I went through my sons last game about 10 years ago. It is a tough thing to go through but after the sting and disappointment wear off the next adventure/opportunity comes quickly!!!!!!
Good luck to your son in the future.

you’re seeing wrong. if my sources are correct the Junior High team was outstanding this year so hopefully some talent coming. Greenon will be FINE. i’d be more worried about players quitting at the BURG if i were you.
You’re just still butt hurt from the Cade Rice show that was put on in the 52-0 game at Burg. Junior high score was close unlike the varsity and JV games this year. Time will tell.

You’re just still butt hurt from the Cade Rice show that was put on in the 52-0 game at Burg. Junior high score was close unlike the varsity and JV games this year. Time will tell.
i’m sorry but i’m not the type of man to sit here and complain about a game that happened what, 4 years ago now? obviously Burg has plenty of issues too if they are losing to Cedarville and have star players quit.. typical classless poster and a horrible look for the BURG. think you’re still sore from getting run off the field by Ansonia, and that’s fine.

Marion Local will put a running clock on them if they play they won’t run on them like the burg 👍

You do realize ‘Thevoice’ is joking. Marion Local could very well put a running clock on everyone in Div VII and most of Div VI except a few teams. Heck, ML probably is the best team from Div IV thru Div VII with the only possible exception being Cleveland Glenville…..maybe.

Give your opponent credit, wish them well the rest of the season and let it go.

The week 12 playoff results for the OHC speak for themselves. The league was no were near as good at the top this year as compared to 2019. The top 3 teams from 2019 are 3 td’s better than the best 2023 OHC team. Yes West Jeff is still playing but WJ realistically has one, maybe two more games left.

Cedarville had a great season with a large senior class and did something that hasn’t been done in 10-15 years there; win a playoff game. Cedarville ran into Marion Local and simply had no idea what that level of playoff intensity is. South Charleston SE and even SCC had good seasons considering the numbers they typically have. It’s almost impossible to win with rosters of 30 players. Great season for these programs.

Northeastern followed up last season with a respectable year. Greeneview had a decent, competitive team. Mechanicsburg had an unusual season, it will be interesting to see what they do next year. WLS had the dominant rb but in there two losses gave up 62 and 50 pts…..just can’t do that. If WLS loses the rb to graduation, I’d assume it’s a step back next year. If he returns, WLS will be the favorite. WJ bounced back from a disappointing 2022 losing season to have a decent 2023 but as some suggest, WJ is the 3rd or 4th best team in the OHC this year.

MP, Triad, Fairbanks, Greenon - got to get more kids out and get better. It’s not easy, I wish the best for these schools.

I do think the middle of the OHC was as good as it’s ever been since WJ can into the league but again, the top was down by 3 td’s or so.

Last edited:
FB_IMG_1699150431473.jpg

That's a huge accomplishment and hats off to Mr. Buescher.

Also, and I digress, looking over names and locations. There are two locations that stick out to me that I have seen. Broome HS, SC, outside of Spartanburg. Beautiful field in a "pit" bowl, where the fans enter from the top and walk down into the bleachers. When I last saw it, early 2000's the grass field would have been the envy of an Augusta National fairway. The other is McCallie HS in Chattanooga, TN. I stumbled on this gem when touring the Missionary Ridge and other local Civil War battlefields. It is a boarding school and what a campus. Never saw a game there and the stadium is nothing extraordinary but the place is amazing. Oddly enough there is a Ohio State Monument near by along with other memorials to Ohio soldiers, units and General Sheridan.

I was looking at the WLS box score this morning, we actually out-gained Tri-Village in yardage. Those kick returns…

Hardest part was taking the jersey out of the washer and hanging it on the drying rack for the last time. If anyone on here still has a child playing, I genuinely want to tell you to relish every second. I still have 2 freshmen but now have a new found feeling for how fast it goes.

Best of luck to the riders this week. Keep rolling for the OHC and battling for those seniors.

I was looking at the WLS box score this morning, we actually out-gained Tri-Village in yardage. Those kick returns…

Hardest part was taking the jersey out of the washer and hanging it on the drying rack for the last time. If anyone on here still has a child playing, I genuinely want to tell you to relish every second. I still have 2 freshmen but now have a new found feeling for how fast it goes.

Best of luck to the riders this week. Keep rolling for the OHC and battling for those seniors.
Dude, I feel you. It so funny playing I never thought of not playing HS football until I didn't. However, as a parent you see your kid as never playing HS again and they not knowing they wont. Truly emotional on both father and son and that is a gift passed along. Yeaper, it goes fast and just something about a football field that no other sport can compare.

There was an ode written to HS football mothers washing their kids uniform for the last time, I wish I could find and share but have not be able to. It really sums up the life of a HS football parent.

Good luck to the OHC this weekend and wls_color enjoy your freshman (sophs?)...going faster already.