New H.S. Weightclasses

Or you can do what rest of country does and use something like 185 or 190 as minimum for heavyweight

The minimum for HVY in "not Ohio" is above the third highest weight class, which in the current NFHS rules is 195 (plus any allowance given). In Michigan that is above 189 (plus allowance), it's different in PA but I forget their weights exactly.

The minimum for HVY in "not Ohio" is above the third highest weight class, which in the current NFHS rules is 195 (plus any allowance given). In Michigan that is above 189 (plus allowance), it's different in PA but I forget their weights exactly.
Whoops. Mistype. My point being that you can simply open it to the weight class below like every other weight. Which opens up a lot of coaches options

I’ve heard all the arguments and listened to both sides.
These changes are terrible. Upper weights are now all screwed up. 182’s are lost without a weight.

Example # 1 ...
You will have a 190 & 215 state champion...
What weight do they wrestle next year in college? 184??? 197??? HWT???
Makes no sense!!!
Are the other major wrestling states (PA, MI, NY, etc) switching to these weights?
If Ohio is the only state doing this, then I see college coaches skipping Ohio to look at other states for their upper weights.
NAIA, D2 and D3 will still come after Ohio guys, hard and those guys will be surprised with the money some of those schools( NAIA) can give.

I meant to put 195. My point stands
Again, that would be jumping two weight classes.
Like it or not, you are dealing with potential liability issues on this. If a coach violates the rule, as it is written, he opens himself up to all kinds of issues if the underweight wrestler gets hurt. No AD is knowingly going to permit this.

Again, that would be jumping two weight classes.
Like it or not, you are dealing with potential liability issues on this. If a coach violates the rule, as it is written, he opens himself up to all kinds of issues if the underweight wrestler gets hurt. No AD is knowingly going to permit this.
The rule is has to weigh above 195

Back in the day my kid wrestled 220 but weighed about 209. Had to put rocks in his shorts to make 210 which was the limit wrestle 285. 2002 or so.

Back in the day my kid wrestled 220 but weighed about 209. Had to put rocks in his shorts to make 210 which was the limit wrestle 285. 2002 or so.
I suspect you might have the year or the weight wrong?
210 was never the minimum weight for the 220 class. In 2002 the weight class was still 215. In 2002, it was optional for the state associations and I think we used it in Ohio. The 215 class was officially added in 2002-03. The 210 minimum you reference was the minimum for 215, no problem.
Interestingly, in 2001-02, if the 215 class was NOT used, the minimum for a 285 was 188 pounds (Rule 4-4-2 that year).\
In 2002-03 there was no Rule Book reference to a 285 minimum weight (when 215 became a mandatory class) so it must have been an Ohio modification. I am too lazy to look any farther!

Last edited:
I’ve heard all the arguments and listened to both sides.
These changes are terrible. Upper weights are now all screwed up. 182’s are lost without a weight.

Example # 1 ...
You will have a 190 & 215 state champion...
What weight do they wrestle next year in college? 184??? 197??? HWT???
Makes no sense!!!
Are the other major wrestling states (PA, MI, NY, etc) switching to these weights?
If Ohio is the only state doing this, then I see college coaches skipping Ohio to look at other states for their upper weights.
With respect, and without regard to whether the classes are good, bad, or in the middle, isn't it time to reverse the trend in the mindset that all decisions about the sport are/should be about the potential state placers and champions, and place equal weight on concern for the kids whose last competitive match is at district or even sectionals?

I'll stand corrected and say that minimum weight for a heavy is warranted. I can see an injury occurring with overly mismatched weights... but I have also seen a situation where an athletic kid that weighs 190 walks through the door, and can't beat the 195 or 220 starter and should still have the opportunity... I've had kids that had to "work" to put on weight to move up a weight class to increase their chances of making the varsity lineup. Furthermore, I don't believe kids should have to cut weight to wrestle. They can choose to, but making a kid cut down because he may not qualify for a weight seems counter productive, especially in a day where football is king in the eyes of many high schoolers.

I just talked to a non Ohio official and clarified the rule. If a kid is certified at 220, and weigh in at 195.1 or higher, they can wrestle heavyweight in every state but Ohio (maybe Michigan too).

Or to put it simply, a kid can wrestle up one weight. I fully agree with not letting a kid wrestle up 2 weight classes. I’m also okay with making a kid weigh above 200 to wrestle heavy. But requiring 215 or above seems asinine

Furthermore, I don't believe kids should have to cut weight to wrestle. They can choose to, but making a kid cut down because he may not qualify for a weight seems counter productive, especially in a day where football is king in the eyes of many high schoolers.
I really think this depends on how much you are asking them to cut.

The fallout of this change and the affects it is having on the upper-weights (190 and 220) reminds me of the last time we had changes in Ohio and the havoc it wreaked on a couple of lower weight classes, specifically 126. The 126 northeast district had 4 two time state placers going in, including 3 eventual or former State Champions.

Is there any chance that they fix this rule, to allow at least a 5 lb window (210 lb minimum) for 215s to bump up to HWT, before the season begins? Or is the 215 minimum set in stone? This is the single worst part of the new weights. They’re taking away all the strategy, flexibility & possible exciting finishes at the end of duals. What a disappointment if this isn’t changed in the next few months.

Is there any chance that they fix this rule, to allow at least a 5 lb window (210 lb minimum) for 215s to bump up to HWT, before the season begins? Or is the 215 minimum set in stone? This is the single worst part of the new weights. They’re taking away all the strategy, flexibility & possible exciting finishes at the end of duals. What a disappointment if this isn’t changed in the next few months.
According to people I have talked to who are "in the know", this was noticed right after the news was released. I believe that it was simply overlooked in the writing of the release. My "guess" is that it will be addressed.