New H.S. Weightclasses

AE5DAFE3-C38B-4AE0-B657-E50FA196D673.jpeg

For those that haven’t seen them yet.

Since they dropped 220 down to 215 but didn’t drop the minimum for 285 down from 215 (was 215 before) there now is no bumping allowed for duals from a wrestler that weighs in for the 215 class but goes to wrestle heavyweight.

That will not be allowed now. Last year and in the past, you could weigh between 215 and the current max of 220 and wrestle either 220 or 285 at a dual.

no such flexibility available this year unless they realize this is a mistake and change the 215 minimum for 285 down to say 210.

A lot of 182's with a decision to make. Tough on guys like Conley and Welch. Probably difficult to get to 177 but do you really want to be undersized going against Dylan Fishback. I suppose it may help a few kids but others going to be thrown for a loop or without a spot. Can think of a few big name teams like this with strong mid uppers. Graham, Ed's, Louisville and many more.

Why go from 152 to 150 and 157? I get adding another weight class but why in the 150 range? Whats the advantage?

Why go from 152 to 150 and 157? I get adding another weight class but why in the 150 range? Whats the advantage?

I'm assuming that it is statistical across the country. I don't know that I like it for ohio, but it might make sense for the majority of states. That said, I have no idea if this is based on national data or what. I'm just guessing and hoping that it is at least backed by actual national numbers.

I’ve heard all the arguments and listened to both sides.
These changes are terrible. Upper weights are now all screwed up. 182’s are lost without a weight.

Example # 1 ...
You will have a 190 & 215 state champion...
What weight do they wrestle next year in college? 184??? 197??? HWT???
Makes no sense!!!
Are the other major wrestling states (PA, MI, NY, etc) switching to these weights?
If Ohio is the only state doing this, then I see college coaches skipping Ohio to look at other states for their upper weights.

A lot of 182's with a decision to make. Tough on guys like Conley and Welch. Probably difficult to get to 177 but do you really want to be undersized going against Dylan Fishback. I suppose it may help a few kids but others going to be thrown for a loop or without a spot. Can think of a few big name teams like this with strong mid uppers. Graham, Ed's, Louisville and many more.

It will be very interesting to see where are the top ranked 182's end up at. I would expect most to drop to 175, but you never know.

Since they dropped 220 down to 215 but didn’t drop the minimum for 285 down from 215 (was 215 before) there now is no bumping allowed for duals from a wrestler that weighs in for the 215 class but goes to wrestle heavyweight.

That will not be allowed now. Last year and in the past, you could weigh between 215 and the current max of 220 and wrestle either 220 or 285 at a dual.

no such flexibility available this year unless they realize this is a mistake and change the 215 minimum for 285 down to say 210.
I hope this is a mistake and they fix it. If not you have no flexibility with the 220 in your line up when wrestling Duals or in a Dual meet tournament, to help your team or your wrestler get the best experience/matches that day.

D.Fishback will be at 190, Conley goes 175 would be my guess, no way they're in the same weight class though. Newsome and Welch potentially end up at 175 also, one of them may try to get to 165. Eliminating 182 to me just doesn't make sense, I don't understand why they changed weight classes at all. Who wanted the weight classes changed? Is this more of a negative or positive change? As for the 215 min weight goof for hwt, that's got to be something that was missed and will be fixed.

The upper-weight gap(s) have never made sense to me, apart from the data (meaning: most kids are 'middle-weights', so you have to put most of the classes through that weight range), which is about the only solid info to go on, really.

Otherwise youre going by the individual situations of every team, which... is different for every team.

D.Fishback will be at 190, Conley goes 175 would be my guess, no way they're in the same weight class though. Newsome and Welch potentially end up at 175 also, one of them may try to get to 165. Eliminating 182 to me just doesn't make sense, I don't understand why they changed weight classes at all. Who wanted the weight classes changed? Is this more of a negative or positive change? As for the 215 min weight goof for hwt, that's got to be something that was missed and will be fixed.
It's the way ohsaa runs things, poor and not making sure everything thing is correct in rule book before it is sent out! Why wait until school starts in a week or two to inform us on weight changes??? Almost like only one person does anything there??? Can't believe how poorly it's ran. They just want to continue to skim money off the schools and put on piss poor events. How do we not have a event location yet??? All dumb

It will have some major ramifications this year and possibly cause some late transfers. I'm sure there are some 215's in D1 hoping a certain kid from Coffman won't decide he doesn't feel like cutting to 190 after wrestling 195 the past three years.

I know this might sound crazy but there are more kids wrestling at the middle weights hence why people wanted to see the change.

Yeah, but I think there are several here that are saying why not bump up the lighter weights and leave the heavier weights as is. Pretty sure the data for Ohio would say that makes more sense, but I have no idea what national data says. I do find it interesting that PA is going to 13 weights and also going with less weights in the heavier side.

As is always the case, coaches and wrestlers will adjust and wrestle...some people will complain and it won't matter.

Would have liked to have seen something added between 215 and hvy, to get more opportunities for big football guys. even as a former 103 myself many years ago, I see the 106 and 113 lacking the depth, especially at d2 and d3 schools. I’d be fine with combining those at 110lbs to add another upper weight. We had a state alternate this past year at 106 who wrestled a lot of the season at 113, and I truly didn’t see a huge difference in those two classes 95% of the time.
I know every now and then some kids take a red shirt in 8th grade because they still weigh 90lbs, but I bet there are more cases of 235lbers who don’t come out or don’t start due to the limited opportunities for big guys. just my 2 cents…

You guys realize this change is not OHSAA driven. It is NFHS. The starting to use the weights this year is OHSAA decision but it was going to change 2022-23 year.
You realize that the OHSAA doesn’t have to follow the NFHS; and most definitely with 3 weeks before school starts, shouldn’t decide to change the weight classes in a way that screws up (I’m taking a stab here) 40% of the teams in Ohio (some good wrestlers are totally out of a spot now).
I think it’s also very odd that the same week that Borofan releases his first set of rankings, and almost every wrestler and coach in the state sees the names,,, BAM!!!

You realize that the OHSAA doesn’t have to follow the NFHS; and most definitely with 3 weeks before school starts, shouldn’t decide to change the weight classes in a way that screws up (I’m taking a stab here) 40% of the teams in Ohio (some good wrestlers are totally out of a spot now).
I think it’s also very odd that the same week that Borofan releases his first set of rankings, and almost every wrestler and coach in the state sees the names,,, BAM!!!
The OHSAA is bound by their constitution to follow the NFHS rules.

Thanks for the info.
But, what about the weight classes? Who or what determined those?
Is this what the NFHS recommends?

Just to C&P from the NFHS release ...

States will have a choice of 12, 13 or 14 weight classes for both boys and girls competition in high school wrestling, effective with the 2023-24 season. <<I had thought it was 22-23, but evidently it's 23-24>>

States must select one of the three sets (12, 13 or 14) of weight classes for girls and one of the three sets (12, 13 or 14) for boys. States cannot adopt all three sets and cannot switch back and forth during the season.

12 Weight Classes – 108, 116, 124, 131, 138, 145, 152, 160, 170, 190, 215, 285
13 Weight Classes – 107, 114, 121, 127, 133, 139, 145, 152, 160, 172, 189, 215, 285
14 Weight Classes – 106, 113, 120, 126, 132, 138, 144, 150, 157, 165, 175, 190, 215, 285