Musicians with Ohio connections

Please explain how Buffalo Springfield‘s Country Rock music can be groundbreaking if it had already been done before Buffalo Springfield.

Because "it" covers a lot of ground as does country and as does country rock... I KNOW you're not going to try and argue there can only be one "ground-breaker". hell, even politicians share the shovel.
Aren’t “pioneers” usually ahead of “groundbreakers”? ;)

"usually"

Because "it" covers a lot of ground as does country and as does country rock... I KNOW you're not going to try and argue there can only be one "ground-breaker". hell, even politicians share the shovel.

"usually"

Duh, that was rhetorical. One happened before the other obviously.

I just showed you a group from the late 50’s in labeled in the Country Rock genre. So then how could Country Rock have been invented in the late 60’s in SoCal? Are you even aware of what we’re debating?

Duh, that was rhetorical. One happened before the other obviously.

I just showed you a group from the late 50’s in labeled in the Country Rock genre. So then how could Country Rock have been invented in the late 60’s in SoCal? Are you even aware of what we’re debating?

Are you sure you're debating the same thing everyone else is debating? THAT was rhetorical. You're going to die on this hill so what's the point of a debate? You've not established any expertise.

Ground breaking, pioneer, even invented, none are deterministic. The wikis are heavily vetted using experts not semantics. If some wiki claims Buffalo Springfield was ground breaking in a particular genre, then they probably are considered ground-breaking by the people that matter, regardless that meets the definition held by us amateur sports message boarders. 🤷

Are you sure you're debating the same thing everyone else is debating? THAT was rhetorical. You're going to die on this hill so what's the point of a debate? You've not established any expertise.

Ground breaking, pioneer, even invented, none are deterministic. The wikis are heavily vetted using experts not semantics. If some wiki claims Buffalo Springfield was ground breaking in a particular genre, then they probably are considered ground-breaking by the people that matter, regardless that meets the definition held by us amateur sports message boarders. 🤷

What expertise do I need to establish? I’m posting links to documentation. I posted a Country Rock song by a group from England made in 1964 because JB said Country Rock started in SoCal with Buffalo Springfield in 1966. It clearly did not.

What expertise do I need to establish? I’m posting links to documentation. I posted a Country Rock song by a group from England made in 1964 because JB said Country Rock started in SoCal with Buffalo Springfield in 1966. It clearly did not.
Steel Valley FB:

I take some time off from Yappi and find this thread on the evolution of the term Country Rock amazingly has continued on.

In naming Richie Furay as an Ohio born musician, I never thought providing a min bio on the artist and his connection with the band Buffalo Springfield could generate so much furor or "furor over furay" as I now refer to it. A review of the threads on this topic reveal your obsession with denouncing anything suggesting that Buffalo Springfield could even be considered as a band many rock historians or writers associate with the beginning of the term Country Rock.

I know you referenced the use of Wikipedia as a source of many of the songs over the years that you used to support your ongoing claim that " clearly Country Rock did not start with Buffalo Springfield in 1966 ". I have no problem with Wikipedia in general, but I really don't use it as my primary source of information when discussing music topics on Yappi. I have built an
extensive library of rock history books over nearly a 60 year period. Yes, I am a child of the 50's and 60's and probably considered a geezer by many on here lol. I was in college in 1966 and remember the time frame we have been discussing on
these threads like it was yesterday.

Admittingly, I became curious just exactly what Wikipedia had to say about the term Country Rock. Here is a direct quote
from your research bible :

"Country Rock is a fusion genre which fuses rock and country. It was developed by rock musicians who began to record country flavored records in the late 60's and early 1970's. These musicians recorded rock records using country themes, vocal styles, and additional instrumentation, most characteristically pedal steel guitars. Country Rock began with artists like Buffalo Springfield, Michael Nesmith, Bob Dylan, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, The Byrds, The Flying Burrito Brothers. . . ."

JB

Odd, because Gram Parsons is quoted as saying Elvis invented Country Rock. Parsons, as you know, is considered by some to be the father of country rock.

Seriously, though, JB. All I did was make one short comment. You then retorted with a pretty long reply citing, yes, Wikipedia. I then purposely posted Wiki’s labeling of the 1964 Beatles song as Country Rock because of you citing Wiki. I don’t use Wiki much at all because of its user-generated content.

The truth is that the term “country rock” didn’t even exist to the general public until after Buffalo Springfield had already broken up. It didn’t get coined until a few years later when the Eagles, CSN, Linda Ronstadt, Emmylou Harris, and a few others brought it mainstream. The country based offshoots of the Springfield and the Byrds went and did their Burrito/Poco thing, but they weren’t big like the others.

Last edited:
lol Eastisbest creeping around with nothing to add, as above.
I quoted vetted resources that said Buffalo Springfield has that place in music history as JB stated, putting forth no claim of personal expertise. If that's "nothing" in your view, eh. A measure of your view.

We disagree on whether there is some perfectly objective all must agree means to define these things or semantics or somewhere in between or even who gets to do it.

YOU decided I didn't know what the conversation was about. YOU put that forth. That's as creeping around as it gets. And that's as concise of summary of what you've allowed get in your head as I see in this. Nothing to lose sleep over. 🤷

Last edited:
EIB, my apologies. I went back and saw a post of yours I somehow skipped over. In that post though you mentioned musicians who did country rock before 1966 when The Buffalo Springfield formed. It just wasn’t called Country Rock yet.

My point has always been that just because they coined the term “country rock” doesn’t mean that is when musicians started mixing rock and country. It’s simply when some radio station or music writer, I assume, or maybe a record company came up with the term. It’s exactly like when the term Rock and Roll was coined, there had been rock and roll songs recorded for at least 20 maybe 30 years prior.

So, just as rock and roll music wasn’t invented when Alan Freed began promoting rock and roll in the 50’s and introduced the term widespread to the public, country rock wasn’t invented in SoCal in late 60’s when someone called the folk bands there “country rock” because they used the banjo or pedal steel on a few songs and the term went national. So, any links or documentation online saying that’s when country rock music was invented are either musically uninformed or mean that’s only when the term was coined. Like with rock and roll, country rock music existed a relatively long time before the term country rock was coined. I think both of our posts here prove that fairly certainly, chronologically speaking.

Here’s an interesting question: what band or artist created Yacht Rock?

I first heard the term about a year ago and assumed it to mean Jimmy Buffet/Kenny Cheney/Zach Brown Band with their flip flops, margaritas in hand, and their toes in the sand. But, since I’m playing Yacht Rock Music Trivia in a couple weeks at I local bar, I decided to look it up and found out it’s actually late 70s-80s light rock that a yuppie on his boat would have constantly played. Christopher Cross, Doobie Bros, Captain and Tennille, Kenny Loggins, Michael McDonald, Ambrosia, and even, yes, Buffalo Springfield. :)

It’s a real genre and there are Yacht Rock channels on satellite radio, Spotify, radio stations, YouTube, etc. So who invented the musical genre known as “yacht rock?” What band or artist was the first to play it?

Last edited:
Here’s an interesting question: what band or artist created Yacht Rock?

I first heard the term about a year ago and assumed it to mean Jimmy Buffet/Kenny Cheney/Zach Brown Band with their flip flops, margaritas in hand, and their toes in the sand. But, since I’m playing Yacht Rock Music Trivia in a couple weeks at I local bar, I decided to look it up and found out it’s actually late 70s-80s light rock that a yuppie on his boat would have constantly played. Christopher Cross, Doobie Bros, Captain and Tennille, Kenny Loggins, Michael McDonald, Ambrosia, and even, yes, Buffalo Springfield. :)

It’s a real genre and there are Yacht Rock channels on satellite radio, Spotify, radio stations, YouTube, etc. So who invented the musical genre known as “yacht rock?” What band or artist was the first to play it?
Like floating elevator music. I can guarantee, none of that 80s selection hit any boat I was on. Yachts I wouldn't know about. Closest to a yacht I recall ever being on is a large group dive boat. Other than that, probably nothing bigger than mid 30 feet.

Like floating elevator music. I can guarantee, none of that 80s selection hit any boat I was on. Yachts I wouldn't know about. Closest to a yacht I recall ever being on is a large group dive boat. Other than that, probably nothing bigger than mid 30 feet.

Hey, I didn’t know about Yacht Rock as a genre either, but it’s a real thing. I’m just wondering who can be credited with inventing it.

Maybe JB can weigh in. Purplemojo too. He’s had some good posts in this thread.
Steel Valley FB :

If the topic is now " Yacht Rock" I'm not sure I can weigh in as you suggest, but maybe "weigh anchor"
would be a more appropriate term if we're talking about going to a nautical genre now, I have to admit
I had never heard of the term Yacht Rock before this latest thread.

I cheated and had to do a little research on the topic As soon as I saw some examples of what is considered
to be Yacht Rock, I found that I was very familiar with the type/styling of song that would qualify as yacht rock.
Most of the examples I saw listed, I would have simply classified as either "Soft Rock" or "MOR" (middle of the road), but
"Yacht Rock" works for me.

My only contributions to " Yacht Rock" would be the nominations of " Lowdown" by Boz Scaggs, "Hey Nineteen" and
"My Old School" both by Steely Dan and on the instrumental side, " Green Onions" by Booker T .and the MG's.
"Lowdown" because it may be one of the coolest songs ever recorded in my opinion and likewise " Green Onions"
on the non-vocal side. The two Steely Dan songs are listed just because they are by Steely Dan, 'nuff said. My apologies if my
nominees have already been listed elsewhere.

Interesting topic .

JB

Joe Walsh - born in Kansas, raised in Cbus, Kent St. > James Gang; Eagles

Boz Scaggs - Canton

Wild Cherry - Mingo Junction and Steuby

Has anyone mentioned Richard Patrick?

He was the guitarist in early Nine Inch Nails before starting the band Filter and being the lead singer. His marbles aren't all there if you know what I mean and is a loose canyon which is surprising how he got this gig...... watch for the music or the girls......

Steel Valley FB :

If the topic is now " Yacht Rock" I'm not sure I can weigh in as you suggest, but maybe "weigh anchor"
would be a more appropriate term if we're talking about going to a nautical genre now, I have to admit
I had never heard of the term Yacht Rock before this latest thread.

I cheated and had to do a little research on the topic As soon as I saw some examples of what is considered
to be Yacht Rock, I found that I was very familiar with the type/styling of song that would qualify as yacht rock.
Most of the examples I saw listed, I would have simply classified as either "Soft Rock" or "MOR" (middle of the road), but
"Yacht Rock" works for me.

My only contributions to " Yacht Rock" would be the nominations of " Lowdown" by Boz Scaggs, "Hey Nineteen" and
"My Old School" both by Steely Dan and on the instrumental side, " Green Onions" by Booker T .and the MG's.
"Lowdown" because it may be one of the coolest songs ever recorded in my opinion and likewise " Green Onions"
on the non-vocal side. The two Steely Dan songs are listed just because they are by Steely Dan, 'nuff said. My apologies if my
nominees have already been listed elsewhere.

Interesting topic .

JB

Ive always known it as AM Gold from the old TV commercials. But, yeah Light Rock or Soft Rock works.

Scott Walker of the Walker Brothers, Hamilton, Ohio. His real name was Noel Scott Engel. This song reached #13 on the US pop chart in 1966.

Bobby Womack, Cleveland, member of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He played guitar with Sam Cooke and married Sam Cooke's widow.

Haven't seen this one yet. Like many in R&B or Gospel, born in the south. Raised and career started in Toledo. Had a hit on the Sun Records label in the late 60's.

Reactions: SLS