Musicians with Ohio connections

SLS

I've enjoyed the Enjoy the Music thread. I though I'd try to narrow it down a bit. I used to hear this Cincinnati- area band at a bar called The Student Prince back in the mid to late sixties.

The soundtrack for dads in an existential crisis - The National - from Cincinnati, with St. Xavier and CCD roots. I love this video. "We have one day and $300 to make this video. Tuxedo pool party? Tuxedo pool party."

H-Bomb Ferguson: I used to watch him in clubs around Cincinnati in the 1990's and through the early 2000's. Jump Blue and early Rock n Roll. Born in South Carolina but settled in Cincinnati in 1957, living there until his death in 2006. He could tear up a piano way into his 70's.

Zapp, Hamilton, Ohio. Sad story: Roger Troutman shot to death by his brother,Larry. Roger was the "star" of the band.They are buried together at Greenwood Cemetery in Hamilton.

Zapp, Hamilton, Ohio. Sad story Roger Troutman shot to death by his brother,Larry. Roger was the "star" of the band.They are buried together at Greenwood Cemetery in Hamilton.
This is exactly how I'd expect a group called Zapp to sound.

Doris Day: Cincinnati born and raised, attended West Hi and Mercy High School. Got her start singing at her Uncle's bar in Price Hill.

Rosemary Clooney: Born in Maysville, Kentucky but she and her sisters got their start singing for WLW in Cincinnati, before moving to California.

Fats Waller: Like the Clooney Sisters, he was a house musician at WLW in the 1930's. Famous for his "stride" piano playing.

Pigmeat Jarrett: A contemporary of H-Bomb Ferguson, I only got to see him perform once. For a time he worked on riverboats on the Ohio River. He played gigs throughout the Ohio River Valley and beyond. People don't have any idea the place Cincinnati played in the Blues. I am lucky to have heard some of the greats.

Last edited:
The (censored) Ponys (Cincinnati, IIRC)

Relient K (Canton area)

The O'Jays (Canton)

Macy Gray (Canton)

Lil Bow Wow (Columbus)

Last edited: