Midwest Athletic Conference 2024

Who will be MAC champions

• Total voters
Well here we are again gentlemen time for a new thread. Congrats to Marion Local Flyers on their 14th title and congrats to the Versailles Tigers on their state runner up finish. Now for my early prediction.

1. Marion Local- Will they break the state winning streak record? I think so

2. Coldwater- We return alot and I'm excited. It will be hard to replace the Harlamerts but I know we have the athletes to do it.

3. Minster- If Marion goes up to D6, D7 is Minster's to lose

4. New Bremen- they return alot of juniors and are well coached

5. Versailles- Michael Osborne is going to be hard to replace

6. St Henry- This depends on who they get as their coach. Have some young athletes but need something to put it all together. @BigPSH Any update?

7. Anna- interchangeable with St Henry. Not sure what they return

8 Fort Recovery - They return that Hartnagel at Rb not sure what else but nothing tells me they'll move up much.

9. St. Johns- Will they regret not taking the NWC's offer?

10. Parkway- Will they even find someone to coach them?

Well here we are again gentlemen time for a new thread. Congrats to Marion Local Flyers on their 14th title and congrats to the Versailles Tigers on their state runner up finish. Now for my early prediction.

2. Coldwater- We return alot and I'm excited. It will be hard to replace the Harlamerts but I know we have the athletes to do it.

6. St Henry- This depends on who they get as their coach. Have some young athletes but need something to put it all together. @BigPSH Any update?

8 Fort Recovery - They return that Hartnagel at Rb not sure what else but nothing tells me they'll move up much.

I think Anna returns their QB and RB so they should be solid next year. Should really be a strong year in the MAC between Minster ML and CW. Could very well see three gold trophies if CW stays in 5 and ML moves to 6. ML’s week one opponent is not scheduled yet so that’ll be interesting. As for the Versailles Tigers, we return a nice group of guys. Had a very successful JV and Freshmen season. 28 freshmen so I’d expect a lot to compete for playing time next year. The loss of offensive skill players is going to be hard to overcome. We’ll be young and probably take some lumps.

Because I made a misguided promise on a prediction of the Marion Dalton game, I will be gone until it looks like 24 August (1 week per point of this spread) so I need to get my say in today.

As we all know, the MAC will be way, way down next year.

With that said, Sportchamp is20212 list is really good and I expect the league to finish that way.

Look at CW's OOC schedule. Wow. Just wow. Great job but I hope they didnt bite off more than they can chew.

See ya later MACsters.

Been a great year, didnt get as many champs as we wanted but ya cant always get what you want.

So, for my final time until next August...

May God Bless the USA.
May God Bless the MAC.
and May God Bless.......The Coldwater Cavaliers.

Good night everyone.

I don't know much, but I can say I have a lot of faith in Ryan Jones as a coach. If you exclude his first year at Versailles, he has averaged 2 MAC regular season losses per year over the last 4 years. I don't think they get over the hump and beat Marion this year, but I don't think they lose more than 3 conference games either. Could happen though.

I have no update on the coaching situation, but Stirred Not Shaken is correct talent is there, sophomore grade going into their junior year. This hiring is pivotal for the future of SH.

The streak will stop at 57, Coldwater is due to win vs the Flyers.

Marion doesn't have a week 1 opponent yet. Minster will be gunning really hard for us as I thought they were the 2nd best team in D7 this year. Minster and Marion play week 9. Marion will be really good; but will have to have underclassmen replace some very valuable 3 and 4 year starters. We don't have another running back that was as shifty or versatile as Kyle Otte in the program. Carter Jones was a lock down corner. Landon Arling will be hard to replace at linebacker. Simon Partington was a beast at nose. I assume our coaching staff will get this all sorted out over the season; but it may take some time where a loss or 2 could happen.

Marion doesn't have a week 1 opponent yet. Minster will be gunning really hard for us as I thought they were the 2nd best team in D7 this year. Minster and Marion play week 9. Marion will be really good; but will have to have underclassmen replace some very valuable 3 and 4 year starters. We don't have another running back that was as shifty or versatile as Kyle Otte in the program. Carter Jones was a lock down corner. Landon Arling will be hard to replace at linebacker. Simon Partington was a beast at nose. I assume our coaching staff will get this all sorted out over the season; but it may take some time where a loss or 2 could happen.
haven't seen the schedules for next season yet???

Marion Local has only lost 2 games in the reg. season once since 2012 and it aint happening next year.

ML will be better in 2024 than in 2023.

I hope V and CW can at least stay at their high level, while everyone else rises. I really like competitive games week after week. I realize it's merely reality, but having only 2 or 3 strong teams most years (and then a big dropoff) makes for a lot of lopsided conference games.

I'm thinking Minster and SH could rise the most - that'd be great. I hope the top teams have to fight tooth and nail every week.

Last edited:
That's the million dollar question. From what I've heard the job was posted internally with no interest. It's been posted on the OHSAA website and states that the deadline to apply is 12-6. I don't think anyone foresees someone with ties locally to apply because of the recent charade & the roster you would inherit. If it's filled externally, I would expect it to be someone that's not from here.

That's the million dollar question. From what I've heard the job was posted internally with no interest. It's been posted on the OHSAA website and states that the deadline to apply is 12-6. I don't think anyone foresees someone with ties locally to apply because of the recent charade & the roster you would inherit. If it's filled externally, I would expect it to be someone that's not from here.
Any head coaching experience required? I think one of us Yappi posters should do it for sh*ts & grins.

Any head coaching experience required? I think one of us Yappi posters should do it for sh*ts & grins.
1701714787362.png

@BigPSH :unsure:

Just saw that on twitter too. If its related then I do not know. Everyone went radio silent after the season so I really hadn't heard any more. I would be surprised, but also not if this happened (I know I just contradicted myself in one sentence lets just move on).
Just Looking at Worthington Christians Record the past few years:
23: 4-7
22: 8-4
21: 8-3
20: 7-2
19: 8-3
18: 6-4
17: 5-5

Obviously would be a welcomed hire around town, the prodigal son returning home. Can't say I've ever seen Worthington Christian play, or him coach in general. However, it would cut down on our fanbase thinking they are smarter then the coach, so I would welcome it.

Man I had so many crazy plans concocted about hiring coaches, I wanted some time to fully flesh them out.

Just saw that on twitter too. If its related then I do not know. Everyone went radio silent after the season so I really hadn't heard any more. I would be surprised, but also not if this happened (I know I just contradicted myself in one sentence lets just move on).

Obviously would be a welcomed hire around town, the prodigal son returning home. Can't say I've ever seen Worthington Christian play, or him coach in general. However, it would cut down on our fanbase thinking they are smarter then the coach, so I would welcome it.

Man I had so many crazy plans concocted about hiring coaches, I wanted some time to fully flesh them out.
Would be an interesting hire for sure.

Personally, I think Anna will be very good. They were junior heavy and played V very well despite the score. Minster as well if they stay healthy.

Does Hartings still have kids in school? Pretty sure he's been quite clear before about raising them outside of the area. Nothing against the area, he just prefers more diversity. One example -

The landscape of college life was different, and he liked it.

"I was sheltered growing up in terms of Christian diversity," he said. "Growing up in that environment, you could feel like that was the best way, the only way, to practice Christian faith.

"I learned after that, at Penn State a little but a lot more in the pros, to really start practicing faith in nondenominational and evangelical places. I came to understand that while the Catholic faith is a great way to practice the Christian faith, it's not the only way to have a relationship with God.

"There's not a lot of racial diversity in the MAC schools. Having gone through Penn State with African-American guys as my teammates, getting to know them as great people and great friends, I'm extremely grateful for that experience.

"That led me to adopt three African-American children and have a lot of African-American friends over the years. America has become so much more diverse, and I've seen that where I live in the Columbus area."

I’m sure Hartings becoming the next HC at St Henry would be very well received.

Worthington Christian is a without a doubt a basketball school, the football program has been an afterthought. From the outside looking in I would say Hartings did a good job, just getting interest and buy into the football program had to and still is a big challenge at WC. Worthington Christian plays in the Mid-State League with other schools Grove City Christian, Fairfield Christian, Fisher Catholic, Millersport, Berne Union and Bishop Rosecrans. Long story short, their conference champion is typically around the 500th best team in the state per Drew Pasteurs rankings. Seldom do any ever get past the 2nd round in the playoffs.

"There's not a lot of racial diversity in the MAC schools. Having gone through Penn State with African-American guys as my teammates, getting to know them as great people and great friends, I'm extremely grateful for that experience.

"That led me to adopt three African-American children and have a lot of African-American friends over the years. America has become so much more diverse, and I've seen that where I live in the Columbus area."
awful lot of folks from St. Henry would have a word they'd call comments like these.

I agree with most of your rankings. Versailles would be the one team that I could see finishing as high as 3. Is it fair to say that the MAC will be stronger next season than in 2023? Marion Local, Coldwater, and Minster return an awful lot from already competitive football teams. Marion Local in particular could be, dare I say, a lot better next season losing so few kids.

Record streak? My concern is who the mystery week 1 opponent is going to be?

If I'm an AD in D4-D7 it's a hard pass on facing the Flyers. If I'm a D1 or D2 AD I could see the possibility of points harvested from a 9-1 Marion as an attractive reason to play them if my team was on the edge. A good D3 or D4 team similar to Wapak seems most likely at this point. That is a tall hill for a D6 or D7 to climb. Get past wk 1 and I think the record will be there for the taking.

Minster was very solid this year, and should be better next.

Record streak? My concern is who the mystery week 1 opponent is going to be?

If I'm an AD in D4-D7 it's a hard pass on facing the Flyers. If I'm a D1 or D2 AD I could see the possibility of points harvested from a 9-1 Marion as an attractive reason to play them if my team was on the edge. A good D3 or D4 team similar to Wapak seems most likely at this point. That is a tall hill for a D6 or D7 to climb. Get past wk 1 and I think the record will be there for the taking.

Minster was very solid this year, and should be better next.
Anyone know who Wapak plays in week 1 and why this series ended? @hdvhsmgr ?

From what I understand ML has an "open" invitation to Wapak and the ball is in Wapak's court, but Wapak may have decided to go in a different direction. That game IMO will be hard to fill for the Flyers.
I agree on hard to fill. I heard a few comments from the Chaminade AD several years back. They really thought they would capture those points and did not appreciate the loss. Turned out they were pretty good after all.

Should be a bit easier now with 16 teams getting in per region, but few schools likely will want to take that opportunity to find out how they stack up.