Midwest Athletic Conference 2020

Concur. As much as I love the rivalry, and CW may actually have a chance this year, I would just keep the bye for both teams. There are no league or harbin pts to be had, both teams set them up for a tough, hard nose game that may hinder them moving forward and for no reason.

Plus, the boogeyman is still lingering. It would be absolutely tragic if someone pops hot for the Rona and both teams get grounded and effectively end the season. The juice is not worth the squeeze.
For no reason, surely you jest. Injuries could happen anytime, practice or just stepping off the bus. As far covid less chance to get covid at a football game than a party on Fri. night.

For no reason, surely you jest. Injuries could happen anytime, practice or just stepping off the bus. As far covid less chance to get covid at a football game than a party on Fri. night.
I just think it is worth the risk . Not saying one would get it from the game, but what if johnny pops hot on Saturday after the game and all hell breaks loose and they don't allow teams to keep playing? That would be tragic and, to me, the main reason not to risk it

Marion and Coldwater will both finish the regular season undefeated (I assume) but who finishes in third place? Fort, Versailles, NB and St Henry are in the race. I think Fort loses their last two, New Bremen and St Henry win both and Versailles splits. That would mean a three way tie for third.

Not going to because as of now their are 24 teams in R - 24. so no 1st rd. bye for CW. However in R - 28 their are 22 teams so ML could pick up a game if the Flyers were one of the teams to get a bye in that region.
I believe byes will be needed in a 24-team bracket. You need 2,4,8,16, or 32 to hold a bye-less tourney. There should be 8 byes in this region.

Not going to because as of now their are 24 teams in R - 24. so no 1st rd. bye for CW. However in R - 28 their are 22 teams so ML could pick up a game if the Flyers were one of the teams to get a bye in that region.
I would not recommend anyone to play a game in that bye week.

Plus...it can be a dry run for the future when the top 4 get byes. Goodwin and many coaches said in The Fan they would have no idea what to do in a bye week when discussing the new 12 team format.

I just don't think it is worth the risk when you know there will be an over reaction to someone popping hot.

Watching last nights Anna/FR game, either Anna played better than what they've been this year or the Indians continue to play down to their competition.
I believe it's the latter.

I believe byes will be needed in a 24-team bracket. You need 2,4,8,16, or 32 to hold a bye-less tourney. There should be 8 byes in this region.
And probably 10 1st rd. byes in R - 28. So both CW and ML will likely have 1st rd. byes. Versailles could also have a 1st rd. bye if they win out, 24 teams in R - 20 as well. A former ML math teacher would have been disappointed in my math.

Last edited:
i wouldn't see why not
I believe you are correct. I want to saynthat is what I read where JV, frosh and JH do not have to stop at 6 games. The Rona is only an issue for varsity football games, it says away from the lowered levels.

I have a question for the MAC fans. Done everyone in the MAC will make the playoffs this year when kind of success so you expect from the bottom MAC teams that wouldn't have made the playoffs in a normal year especially if they get matched up with non-MAC teams?

I have a question for the MAC fans. Done everyone in the MAC will make the playoffs this year when kind of success so you expect from the bottom MAC teams that wouldn't have made the playoffs in a normal year especially if they get matched up with non-MAC teams?
It would depend on the matchup. Being in D7, I wouldn't be surprised to see, For example, Delphos St John's winning a playoff game.

Last edited:
Really depends on the matchups. There are good teams in the tournament from outside the MAC that will handle the bottom MAC schools.

I
I call it as I see 'em.

I am a MAC guy through and through, but dont wear MAC shaded glasses....

Pretty much every year I believe MAC teams who were just on the outside looking in would be able to win a playoff game or two, or three.

The bottom few teams? WOuld all depend on the matchup, and considering they will be facing much higher seeds I would see MAYBE of the bottom three of Anna/DSJ/PW winning a game this year. MAYBE.
If I had to guess, maybe DSJ with being in D7 would possibly have a shot.

I just know what I have seen with my own two eyes, and I believe the two teams New Bremen played last year: New Miami and Lima Perry and Mississinawa Valley(MSML 1st round game) would not have won a game in the MAC last year, those three were playoff qualifiers. With that being said, I believe every MAC school in D7 could win a game, but once again it all comes down to matchups. I am really curious to see how non-MAC coaches vote for seeding, my guess is they will not show the MAC the love that it deserves.

I just know what I have seen with my own two eyes, and I believe the two teams New Bremen played last year: New Miami and Lima Perry and Mississinawa Valley(MSML 1st round game) would not have won a game in the MAC last year, those three were playoff qualifiers. With that being said, I believe every MAC school in D7 could win a game, but once again it all comes down to matchups. I am really curious to see how non-MAC coaches vote for seeding, my guess is they will not show the MAC the love that it deserves.
I think it is MAC arrogance to believe coaches are going to band together and hose MAC schools on seedings.....

In DVII R28, for example, St. Henry would be the #4 ranked team in my eyes. I don't think the Redskins are all that strong this season, but I would expect them to have a great deal of success against anyone not named Marion Local, Fort Loramie, and New Bremen.

New Miami and Lima Perry and Mississinawa Valley(MSML 1st round game) would not have won a game in the MAC last year.

With that being said, I believe every MAC school in D7 could win a game, but once again it all comes down to matchups.
Agreed. It would've been interesting to see what those 3 would wouldve done against the bottom though.

Also agree. If St John's gets lucky in their draw, they might win 2.

I think it is MAC arrogance to believe coaches are going to band together and hose MAC schools on seedings.....
I am not saying they will band together to ‘hose’ the MAC, I am just curious how coaches from not this area will base their vote? I would vote a 3-2 New Bremen over an undefeated New Miami team based on what I saw last year and an understanding of the two schedules; but I’m not sure all coaches will? Maybe they shouldn’t, wins should be rewarded. Honestly I would rather play week 1 than take a bye, but that’s just me.

Agreed. It would've been interesting to see what those 3 would wouldve done against the bottom though.

Also agree. If St John's gets lucky in their draw, they might win 2.
If coaches vote purely on Harbin Rankings (as I think they should).........St. Johns isn't sniffing Leipsic. If everyone plays and the regions stand as is, Leipsic would beat them by 2-3 TDs. If they drop two more spots, they won't beat Spencerville either.

If coaches vote purely on Harbin Rankings (as I think they should).........St. Johns isn't sniffing Leipsic. If everyone plays and the regions stand as is, Leipsic would beat them by 2-3 TDs. If they drop two more spots, they won't beat Spencerville either.
On those 2 you would be correct. But if DSJ matches up with an NWCC school, I like their chances

So this is what I was kind of wondering. I know it's hard to judge anything by scores alone but when you look at New Bremen last year it appears that their games against St. Henry, Parkway, Versailles and St. John's were all more competitive or similarly competitive to their first two playoff games. It just made me wonder what would happen if a Parkway for example would get to matchup with a team like New Miami could they hold their own and even possibly win.

It always seems like more often than not it's a MAC team knocking off another MAC team until you get deep into the playoffs so it just makes you wonder how the lower MAC teams would fare if they got their shot.

I'm on the other side of the state and the only MAC games I get to see are livestreamed so I'm just curious what people more familiar thought.

Last edited:
I feel like I would feel very confident in picking St. John's over Spencerville, and they would most likely give Leipsic a game, if not beat them. They're very underrated and have great potential against others in their region.

So this is what I was kind of wondering. I know it's hard to judge anything by scores alone but when you look at New Bremen last year it appears that their games against St. Henry, Parkway, Versailles and St. John's were all more competitive or similarly competitive to their first two playoff games. It just made me wonder what would happen in a Parkway for example would get to matchup with a team like New Miami could they hold their own and even possibly win.

It always seems like more often than not it's a MAC team knocking off another MAC team until you get deep into the playoffs so it just makes you wonder how the lower MAC teams would fare if they got their shot.

I'm on the other side of the state and the only MAC games I get to see are livestreamed so I'm just curious what people more familiar thought.
Last years Parkway team I think would've beat New Miami. They had a running back that went to Ohio Northern who was a monster. And had a QB (Still is their qb) who made good reads.

So this is what I was kind of wondering. I know it's hard to judge anything by scores alone but when you look at New Bremen last year it appears that their games against St. Henry, Parkway, Versailles and St. John's were all more competitive or similarly competitive to their first two playoff games. It just made me wonder what would happen in a Parkway for example would get to matchup with a team like New Miami could they hold their own and even possibly win.

I just know what I saw last year, New Miami and Perry would not have won a game in the MAC, and they were both at the top of their respective leagues. This is a new year and it’s all about matchups, but I guess that’s what will make this year’s playoffs so interesting!

Last edited:
I feel like I would feel very confident in picking St. John's over Spencerville, and they would most likely give Leipsic a game, if not beat them. They're very underrated and have great potential against others in their region.
No. I would actually take Spencerville by 20 and most likely Leipsic by 14. Sorry. DSJ is just not the team they were 10 years ago. Both Delphos teams are just not good. But as StateChampion said, I would take them over an NWCC opponent, although I would say Perry hasn't been tested and could give them a run for their money.

No. I would actually take Spencerville by 20 and most likely Leipsic by 14. Sorry. DSJ is just not the team they were 10 years ago. Both Delphos teams are just not good. But as StateChampion said, I would take them over an NWCC opponent, although I would say Perry hasn't been tested and could give them a run for their money.
I'm not saying they're even close to what they were, but I'm just putting it out there now, don't count them out that easily, especially against Spencerville. I see the Bearcats being overrated tremendously every year. Maybe this year they'll change my mind. We will see, that's why you play the game.

I'm not saying they're even close to what they were, but I'm just putting it out there now, don't count them out that easily, especially against Spencerville. I see the Bearcats being overrated tremendously every year. Maybe this year they'll change my mind. We will see, that's why you play the game.
Spencerville the past 5 years:

2019: 7-3 no playoffs
2018: 1st round playoff loss to State Champ ML
2017: Blanked Mechanicsburg and got blanked by state champ ML in playoffs
2016: Got beat in a great game by SH who lost to state champ ML
2015: Lost to Jefferson for second game in a row in playoffs

None of their playoff losses were ever to a 3-22 team (DSJ over 3 years). And three of them had ties to ML. I think overrated is a very broad statement. Do I think St. Johns could have posted 3 wins in the NWC this year? Yes. Jefferson, Ada, and potentially Bluffton. But none of them would have been Spencerville. That said, I could end up eating crow if they play and DSJ pulls the miracle!

I do love this year's playoffs whereas everyone gets a shot. You are 100% correct. That's why we play the game.

Spencerville the past 5 years:

2019: 7-3 no playoffs
2018: 1st round playoff loss to State Champ ML
2017: Blanked Mechanicsburg and got blanked by state champ ML in playoffs
2016: Got beat in a great game by SH who lost to state champ ML
2015: Lost to Jefferson for second game in a row in playoffs

None of their playoff losses were ever to a 3-22 team (DSJ over 3 years). And three of them had ties to ML. I think overrated is a very broad statement. Do I think St. Johns could have posted 3 wins in the NWC this year? Yes. Jefferson, Ada, and potentially Bluffton. But none of them would have been Spencerville. That said, I could end up eating crow if they play and DSJ pulls the miracle!

I do love this year's playoffs whereas everyone gets a shot. You are 100% correct. That's why we play the game.

Shh!! I posted this unpopular opinion before and it doesn't go over so well.

This is MAC delusion at its best. You clearly have not watched Spencerville or Leipsic play recently. St. John's is a great and storied program, but they are in a hole they don't seem to be coming out of. 1 win for the year 29-20 over 0-4 Parkway, and got beat by an 0-3 Minster and because they're in the MAC they can show up and beat 2 programs who have recently been at their best in school history? Take the blinders off man.