Mid-State League 2020-2021

mslfan20

Don’t like the idea of moving Harvest Prep. There at least should be an effort to build camaraderie off the court first. Imagine activities like student ambassadorships to each others schools, collaborative charity events or even a video game tournament like 2K with the varsity teams and what good could come out of those common ground experiences.

If sports are about being leadership qualities and developing respect for others then competition results shouldn’t be what stands in the way of those arguments to have sports. If scores are what stand in the way of building better teenagers through sports then compensate for where sports are falling short & build from there. The kids probably would feel differently on HP if they were given a chance to have experiences beyond basketball games. Familiarity and common cause with peers builds respect, and if basketball creates hard feelings then it’s a matter of there not being any respect in the first place.

Give kids opportunities and give many of them! Where the opportunities fail in its intentions, pursue different ones that reach the same goal as the currently failing ones.

bballfan48

Anyone know what's up with Berne Union? Lost big the other day to Patriot Prep?

I am not sure what is up with Berne but I have heard some D4 coaches saying that Patriot should be pretty decent this year. It does not look like they have played many games but they almost knocked off Fisher in the tournament last year and I think they brought back just about everyone.

Snowman8

It does seem like Patriot seems strong this year. Think they got a new coach a year or two ago and he seems to have them trending in the right direction.

As for Berne, maybe they had guys quarantined or fresh out of quarantine. I expect a lot of weird scores this year.
There’s some weird matchups this year too. Seems most schools are just trying to get 22 games in, regardless of who it is against.

The Dock

Standings for the Cardinal, per 270Hoops

Harvest Prep 6-0 (3-0)
Millersport 3-1 (3-1)
Rosecrans 3-1 (2-0)
Berne Union 4-4 (2-1)
Fisher 3-4 (2-2)
FCA 1-4 (1-2)
GCC 2-6 (0-5)
Miller 0-4 (0-4)

Any thoughts on this? I know FC beat MP last night, but my guess is MP would (will) probably beat FC on the Lake.

Seems like the league could be broken into tiers, a la

I. - HP

II. a - BR
II. b - MP, FC, BU
II. c - FCA, GCC

III. Miller

Seems like there wouldn't necessarily be much difference separating the "II. b" from "II. c", but enough difference to separate the "II. a" from "II. c"

bballfan48

I have watched some of the live streams of different teams.

No one will come within 20 of HP this year.

Rosecrans may have trouble defending BU in the post but if those two shooters get going, watch out.

I feel awful for MP. They are only allowed to play league games this season. I am not sure why the ruling was made but hurts a great senior class. I thought they might get Fisher but they could not control the glass. I am sure long layoffs between games are not helping.

GCC has struggled. I have seen moments when they play great, then moments where they show their age. I would not be surprised if they surprise a few of those II a&b teams second time through.

Tough first year in the league for Miller. Watching the JV games, I don't see it getting much better.

The Dock

Miller might not win a game in the league for, like, a few years. Boys hoops is the one sport where that school is going to be "without a paddle" in the Cardinal.

I got GCC pulling the upset tonight in Lancaster! We'll see. There should be a Boxcast link to watch the game live, tonight. I'll post it when I see it. Check back here around 7-7:15.

MP might not be able to afford playing non-league games this season, for all we know.

BU seems to be the big "jekyll-and-hyde" team this season. Haven't gotten to see FCA play at all this year, but I didn't think they were going to have much this season?

Snowman8

I saw the live stream of FCA and Granville Christian. FCA really struggles to score. I think the only 3 they made was a buzzer beater. Granville Christian wasn't exactly impressive, but then again most of D4 is really down this year.

The Dock

I saw the live stream of FCA and Granville Christian. FCA really struggles to score. I think the only 3 they made was a buzzer beater. Granville Christian wasn't exactly impressive, but then again most of D4 is really down this year.
I am curious if Coach Hooper decides to retires after this season. It'll be a weird feeling if/when he does. This is his 50th year of coaching a sport, I believe. He is also only the second varsity coach in the program's history.

Snowman8

I am curious if Coach Hooper decides to retires after this season. It'll be a weird feeling if/when he does. This is his 50th year of coaching a sport, I believe. He is also only the second varsity coach in the program's history.
Wow that’s incredible on both stats you just gave. I didn’t realize FCA had only been around for that short of a time too.

Their JV team was good last year from what I remember, but I know they’ve been losing some players too. Not quite the bed of talent they’ve had in years past.

The Dock

Saw this posted on a link from the football forum, and thought it would be fun to discuss... in the context of basketball *OR* all sports

1-How do you rate your conference (rate between 1 and 10 – 10 being the highest score)

2-How does your conference compare to other area conferences (rate between 1 and 10 – 10 being the highest score)

3-Should the conference be open to allowing associate members to compete in one sport only

4-Is Divisional play needed

5-Are you happy with the number of visiting fans who attend conference games

6-Travel miles to conference opponent sites

7-How would you rate conference members facilities (please list best and worst facilities)

8-Would you like to see expansion

9-How important would corporate sponsorship (or additional income) be to the conference

10-Leadership of the conference

11-Does conference play prepare your school for tournament play

12-How many schools in the conference do you consider – League rivals [List schools]

Snowman8

Saw this posted on a link from the football forum, and thought it would be fun to discuss... in the context of basketball *OR* all sports

1-How do you rate your conference (rate between 1 and 10 – 10 being the highest score)

2-How does your conference compare to other area conferences (rate between 1 and 10 – 10 being the highest score)

3-Should the conference be open to allowing associate members to compete in one sport only

4-Is Divisional play needed

5-Are you happy with the number of visiting fans who attend conference games

6-Travel miles to conference opponent sites

7-How would you rate conference members facilities (please list best and worst facilities)

8-Would you like to see expansion

9-How important would corporate sponsorship (or additional income) be to the conference

10-Leadership of the conference

11-Does conference play prepare your school for tournament play

12-How many schools in the conference do you consider – League rivals [List schools]
Cool concept! I’d love to hear from someone with more familiarity than me on this. I could take a crack at MOCAL answers but this is an MSL thread and I don’t think anyone really cares a whole lot about it haha.

bballfan48

I saw an article in the Lancaster EG from the other day that says FC is back in quarantine. Looking at schedules online, GCC might be off right now too. Any other schools having issues?