Mid-State League 2020-2021

bballfan48

Who wins each division this coming season?

Any teams that you surprising the divisions? My pick is for Millersport. They will give everyone but HP a run this season with the twins back.

The Dock

Who wins each division this coming season?

Any teams that you surprising the divisions? My pick is for Millersport. They will give everyone but HP a run this season with the twins back.
I would love to see Millersport break it big in the Cardinal this coming season. I think their coach needs to get his head around frustrating situations better, though. Not an anger management issue, just needs to learn how to “forget it, drive on.”

The Dock

Enrollment numbers for 20-21

HP 79 +63= 142 boys enrollment+competitive balance adjustment
_________
BU 95 +18 = 113
FCA 62 +49 = 111
GCC 87 +7 = 94
FC 57 +35 = 92
Miller 81 +1 = 82
MP 59 +1 = 60
BR 45 +13 = 58

Snowman8

Millersport has everyone coming back right? Or was that two years ago? I knew they had a season with no seniors but couldn’t recall if it were last year. Winning a tournament game last year would have been a nice momentum builder, but maybe the loss to Granville Christian will serve as motivation.

Fairfield Christian had a really solid JV team with plenty of potential. Not a ton of varsity experience, but I’d think they should be improved after a rebuilding year.

Is GCC going to bounce back? Or was their incredible run a few years ago just catching lightning in a bottle?

FC graduates a lot of seniors I think. Berne also but they do have Unger back. No clue about Rosecrans but I think they also lost some key seniors. Would think HP isn’t quite as elite without Anthony, but they still have an ability for getting talented players.

I couldn’t really toss a projection out there, but I don’t see why Millersport couldn’t finish in the top half.I’d think that an experienced team could be extra valuable this year because teams aren’t having the ability to grow together in the summer like usual. Probably see a lot of early season jitters from young teams.

bballfan48

Millersport brings everyone back. I agree with the comment about their coach.

Fairfield will play hard but I think they will struggle. I don't think they will have much scoring.

GCC is going to be young but talented. The Sophomore class is very good and they should be getting the PG back that was out last season. Still the worst gym to play in though!

FC should be good. JV was pretty strong.

Rosecrans will be young and will shoot it. They bring back one of those kids but they had an 8th grader last year that would light it up. They are probably two years away from being very good.

HP will be HP

Does anyone have any insight on the other divisions in the Mid-State?

On another note, D4 coaches should be thrilled with the news of Wellington going back to D3. That really opens up the district next season with Grandview losing a lot as well.

The Dock

Cardinal specific:
It's hard to really prognosticate on additions/subtractions/returnees for this year, since some of the schools probably didn't know who all was coming back or enrolling for this coming school year until as late as this week.

re: Millersport - they have a big senior class in basketball this coming season. I would agree with the idea that they're motivated, and with basketball basically being the only sport at Millersport that'll have been played in 1.5 years (with spring sports canned and their soccer team still in its infancy), they'll have some channeled energy from the community. Good to see.

re: GCC - yeah, this is where GCC is probably due for another strong season. This year, or next year. Most likely not to the heights that the team circa 2016 soared to, but still contending for second or third. I actually disagree their gym being the worst to play in, though, as it's better than HP, FCA and arguably Miller & Millersport. The folks are great, just not that big 'a fan on the seating!

re: FCA/FC/BU - I'm not quite certain where FCA will stand in the mix. The problem with FCA is there is a massive dead zone of talent, experience, numbers and physical ability between the class of graduating seniors from last season and their "rising sophomores". I'm also hearing a bunch of different things from people of various connections to the program, one of which is that Coach Hooper may retire after this season. Another is that they may have lost a couple of kids from the freshman and sophomore classes. FC graduates another big class, for like the third year in a row, but it hasn't proved to be too big an obstacle the following season. They return four seniors who had various playing time experiences on varsity. BU is probably the unknown with who all they graduate.

re: Rosecrans and Miller. I would expect Rosecrans to hover in the 4-6 range, with FCA probably in the slot around 6 and 7. I think Miller is likely to go 0-14 in their first season in the Cardinal. They graduated their three primary scorers, one of whom was probably their best or second-best player in program history. Their coach does a good job truthfully, it's just one of those "yeahhhhhhhh, what's understood doesn't need to be explained" for those who've seen them last year.

The Dock

Buckeye
I didn't follow the Buckeye as much as would I have in previous years with some friends' kids having since graduated. Circleville returns Riley Gibson, who's probably the best returning guard in the league. FU graduates their experienced backcourt. Bloom returns a bunch of kids, but graduates Otto. I expect Amanda to be in the pits, as they graduate their best players. Maybe LU can pull an upset here or there?

Thing about the Buckeye, NOT UNLIKE THE CARDINAL (IMO), is there are some really good coaches. Cody Carpenter is in his second year at Circleville (nice one, Amanda-CC), Joe Goodyear at BC and Alex Eversole at FU.

Ohio
I haven't followed the Ohio very well, but this is probably WC v Buckeye Valley for the top crown. DJ Moore is the truth, and he's only a junior!

bsee54321

Ohio Division is going to be Worthington Christian's to lose. Buckeye Valley will be good but struggled on the road in the Ohio Division. Whitehall and Wellington will be in the mix. Bexley and Grandview Hts will be rebuilding. Grandview Hts has the pieces in a strong sophomore class (Freshmen team went 15-1) but will have to go thru a year of growing to get back in the mix. Worthington Christian should be a favorite to make the State Tourney in Division III.

The Dock

A thought: if COVID-19 concerns affected the viability of a complete basketball season or gym capacity, are there schools who are affected harder than others in the $$$ department?

bballfan48

I would say most of the private schools will be affected. It will really destroy them if football doesn't get a full season.

Looking at crowd size, Fisher and Rosecrans always have decent crowds. I am thinking WC would take a hit but should not hurt as much.

The Dock

I would say most of the private schools will be affected. It will really destroy them if football doesn't get a full season.

Looking at crowd size, Fisher and Rosecrans always have decent crowds. I am thinking WC would take a hit but should not hurt as much.
I’m pretty sure we could make out better $$$ wise if there wasn’t football this year. Football is expensive, Lancaster costs $$$ to use - we only have four home games and one of them is FCA. MSL-Cardinal crowds for football are really hard to make money out of.