Marion Local

I love the Marion area, but Goodwin would have had the same success he has had over the past 20 years, if he were the coach at any MAC school, and probably most of the schools that fall in the D4 to D7 range. In small high school sports coaching is everything.
Just in our little area - History shows this
St Henry was dominate from 1984 to 2002 - (Heckman retires - they win 2 more to 2006) Then a struggle - Kids didn't change, coaching did.
Versailles was dominate from 1980 to 2003 - (Hetrick retires) Program doesn't win for 15 years or so
Coldwater was competitive - Reed comes and they are dominate, this success has been extended, but not to the level of Reed.

So Marion was just lucky to hire Kramer and create a complete dumpster fire at the end of the 90's, so we were ready for Goodwin to come in. Timing is everything.
Ok, I will buy what your selling!

So your saying the problem with the football team at my kids school is not the fact we have a large population of boys who average 5'4" and weigh 110 lbs, we just need a good coach? I bet that is the only difference.

I’m a Marion Local fan and I don’t understand those (more than just you) who say ML would win D5 and D6. Games against Kirtland and Perry would be super competitive, but I’d have Kirtland as a coin flip game and Perry even tougher to win.
They did beat a D5 champ in Coldwater in 2013 and 2014 and Versailles in 2021. But yes, of course they would be challenged.

So your saying the problem with the football team at my kids school is not the fact we have a large population of boys who average 5'4" and weigh 110 lbs, we just need a good coach? I bet that is the only difference.
Are they on a different diet in the ML school district?

Are they on a different diet in the ML school district?
I don't know? I do know my kids ate the same things everyone elses kids ate and my boys average 6'5" 240. Same with most of my relatives. There is more to it than just a good coach. Community, families, faith, discipline, stature and yes coaching. If you miss on the first five coaching is going to need to be miraculous.

Name 1 coach in the country that has won as many games (and titles) as Tim Goodwin, in less than 25 years.
De La Salle in Cali had a 151 game win streak from 92-03. Their a Private but their domination (I think) tops MSML as De La Salle has continue to be dominate since their streak ended. Apples and oranges, but there is a team with more.

De La Salle in Cali had a 151 game win streak from 92-03. Their a Private but their domination (I think) tops MSML as De La Salle has continue to be dominate since their streak ended. Apples and oranges, but there is a team with more.
Oops. Coach Laciddeour (sp) has less than Goodwin. The team has more but not the coach.

Reactions: RBS
You are right on every aspect. I stand corrected.

Those kids need some milk.

Top 20 Playoff Winning Percentages of Teams with 25+ Appearances

% - School - Appearances - Record
  1. 0.8947 Maria Stein Marion Local 26 102-12
  2. 0.8018 Coldwater 29 89-22
  3. 0.7822 Cleveland St. Ignatius 33 79-22
  4. 0.7471 Lakewood St. Edward 29 65-22
  5. 0.7373 Newark Catholic 39 87-31
  6. 0.7333 Youngstown Cardinal Mooney 32 66-24
  7. 0.7273 Cleveland Benedictine 25 48-18
  8. 0.7260 Toledo Central Catholic 25 53-20
  9. 0.7064 Steubenville 36 77-32
  10. 0.6932 Columbus St. Francis DeSales 30 61-27
  11. 0.6912 Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary 27 47-21
  12. 0.6829 Kettering Archbishop Alter 29 56-26
  13. 0.6822 Mogadore 37 73-34
  14. 0.6750 Cincinnati St. Xavier 30 54-26
  15. 0.6739 Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller 39 62-30
  16. 0.6667 Warren John F. Kennedy 27 50-25
  17. 0.6667 Cincinnati Colerain 25 48-24
  18. 0.6628 Massillon Washington 30 57-29
  19. 0.6622 Columbus Bishop Watterson 27 49-25
  20. 0.6620 Norwalk St. Paul 25 47-24
If Marion Local runs the table next season their playoff winning % will be 0.9000.
Great research!

The coaching at Marion is impressive but those kids have bought in and the parents have too. What an excellent community and student involvement.

Reactions: RBS
The coaching at Marion is impressive but those kids have bought in and the parents have too. What an excellent community and student involvement.
You are right regarding the students and community, however. The coach is MORE than impressive. Never let him go!!

I don't know? I do know my kids ate the same things everyone elses kids ate and my boys average 6'5" 240. Same with most of my relatives. There is more to it than just a good coach. Community, families, faith, discipline, stature and yes coaching. If you miss on the first five coaching is going to need to be miraculous.
There is more to it than just coaching. It takes community support, support and money from the administration and kids that will buy into what coach is selling. But at the end of the day 90% is coaching.

The blueprint is out there on how to build a program that is constantly good. The problem 90% of the schools / coaches don't want to put it the effort and time that it takes build that level of a program. The MAC schools and Kirtland have mastered that blueprint. It's no longer building a program - now its a culture. It becomes a way of life. You lift and do various forms of strength, conditioning and flexibility drills daily. You go from a hoping to win mentality to a expecting to win one. This does not happen overnight - but when it does its magical. Once players and community sees that what your doing works - the buy in year in and year out is easy.

The blueprint is out there on how to build a program that is constantly good. The problem 90% of the schools / coaches don't want to put it the effort and time that it takes build that level of a program. The MAC schools and Kirtland have mastered that blueprint. It's no longer building a program - now its a culture. It becomes a way of life. You lift and do various forms of strength, conditioning and flexibility drills daily. You go from a hoping to win mentality to a expecting to win one. This does not happen overnight - but when it does its magical. Once players and community sees that what your doing works - the buy in year in and year out is easy.
What percent of Ohio high schools do you believe could "work hard" and "put in the effort" and win 14 state titles?

Obvious answer would be one(because that has happened).
What percent of Ohio high schools do you believe could "work hard" and "put in the effort" and win 14 state titles?
In all reality every team would strive to be the best they can be. Problem being only one team gets a trophy (as it should be). Bottom line is talent is not even on all teams, it is up to everyone one in each program to excel and see where you stand (pride in what you accomplish will be your reward). Let us all remember we should be building character in our young athletes to become future leaders in our future generations. Everyone wins if we strive to be the best we can. So let us all support our communities and MAY GOD BLESS!!!

I think Goodwin would turn just about any team around and improve them, but he wouldn't have near the success he does at ML. Marion Local parents (and pretty much every other MAC school) the parents shut up and let the coaches run the program. He would run into issues at a bigger school. There is a thing called respecting authority figures and adults in general at these schools. Divorce rate in the MAC is almost non existent, so you don't see broken homes. Support from both parents is crucial to a kid's success. Work ethic, respect, and the fact that Tim Goodwin is like Rain Man when it comes to X's and O's. Those are all of the reasons why Marion is so successful year in, year out.

I think Goodwin would turn just about any team around and improve them, but he wouldn't have near the success he does at ML. Marion Local parents (and pretty much every other MAC school) the parents shut up and let the coaches run the program. He would run into issues at a bigger school. There is a thing called respecting authority figures and adults in general at these schools. Divorce rate in the MAC is almost non existent, so you don't see broken homes. Support from both parents is crucial to a kid's success. Work ethic, respect, and the fact that Tim Goodwin is like Rain Man when it comes to X's and O's. Those are all of the reasons why Marion is so successful year in, year out.
100% directly over the target... Very accurate!

The family values/influence is the most undersold aspect of the MAC's overall success. Probably because of the inherent humility from those communities, but, frankly, that is the lesson that should a mandatory paragraph any time someone writes about their success.

The blueprint is out there on how to build a program that is constantly good. The problem 90% of the schools / coaches don't want to put it the effort and time that it takes build that level of a program. The MAC schools and Kirtland have mastered that blueprint. It's no longer building a program - now it’s a culture. It becomes a way of life. You lift and do various forms of strength, conditioning and flexibility drills daily. You go from a hoping to win mentality to an expecting to win one. This does not happen overnight - but when it does it’s magical. Once players and community sees that what your doing works - the buy in year in and year out is easy.
That is the best description of how perennial contenders do it. Once you get to the point of “expecting” to win that’s what turns it up a notch. It is a mentality that maybe only 10-15% of the 700+ schools have. And as Bball said players, fans and the community buy in every year. Some schools have a nice cycle of talent and expect to win that year. The key is expecting to win no matter the talent, or what you lost or have returning. Even a poor team, by their own standards, is a really good team compared to most others.

That is the best description of how perennial contenders do it. Once you get to the point of “expecting” to win that’s what turns it up a notch. It is a mentality that maybe only 10-15% of the 700+ schools have. And as Bball said players, fans and the community buy in every year. Some schools have a nice cycle of talent and expect to win that year. The key is expecting to win no matter the talent, or what you lost or have returning. Even a poor team, by their own standards, is a really good team compared to most others.
I think there's also this added aspect that Goodwin designs his systems to make sure everyone stays involved and has an assignment and not just free up his "best" athletes to make the play. You see this in the all state voting. How many times do you see Marion kids on there even though they've won 14 state titles? Not very often. That's why Marion had 5 guys with over 400 yards rushing and the tackles were pretty evenly distributed. It's also why you see banter in these threads such as against Dalton I believe they had this almost 300 pounder who could also move and he was this big play wrecker. How often did he affect the play against Marion? Not very often because Goodwin knew they were going to try and free him up so they block him and take their chances with the rest and he was quoted as saying they liked the offense vs defense matchup. Marion almost never has the best athletes but they have the most disciplined athletes and that's how they win with the buy in.

I think there's also this added aspect that Goodwin designs his systems to make sure everyone stays involved and has an assignment and not just free up his "best" athletes to make the play. You see this in the all state voting. How many times do you see Marion kids on there even though they've won 14 state titles? Not very often. That's why Marion had 5 guys with over 400 yards rushing and the tackles were pretty evenly distributed. It's also why you see banter in these threads such as against Dalton I believe they had this almost 300 pounder who could also move and he was this big play wrecker. How often did he affect the play against Marion? Not very often because Goodwin knew they were going to try and free him up so they block him and take their chances with the rest and he was quoted as saying they liked the offense vs defense matchup. Marion almost never has the best athletes but they have the most disciplined athletes and that's how they win with the buy in.
Absolutely. Sat with a friend who was there because of Dalton but hadn't seen ML before. He was shocked both by the variation in the offense (Q: who is their #1 back? A: whoever they hand off too) and their ability to avoid Dalton monster DLman.

Dirty little secret about football - some guys are better than others. Some coaches tell their guys "you just have to execute better." The great coaches find ways to take the opponents best players out of the game.

Last edited:
I like your take. The guy who I think lives it out as a coach to a T but may never win a championship is Mike Elder of Avon, a D2 school. Will he defeat Hoban, Massillon or Toledo Central Catholic (if they go back to D2) so long as they remain committed to remaining closed enrollment. Yet were Mike to take a D5-D7 job, I suspect he'd have them at a Kirtland or Marion Local type dominance in a reasonable time frame. He's happy where he's at. But I guess it does mean that the levels of competition matter, even if you basically do all the right things.

I like your take. The guy who I think lives it out as a coach to a T but may never win a championship is Mike Elder of Avon, a D2 school. Will he defeat Hoban, Massillon or Toledo Central Catholic (if they go back to D2) so long as they remain committed to remaining closed enrollment. Yet were Mike to take a D5-D7 job, I suspect he'd have them at a Kirtland or Marion Local type dominance in a reasonable time frame. He's happy where he's at. But I guess it does mean that the levels of competition matter, even if you basically do all the right things.
Was great to see Elder settle in Avon. Took a few years for him to get there, but, even without raising a trophy, can't imagine any of the Eagle faithful will have too many issues with the success he's produced.

1702300258875.png