Lets! Go! Hurley!

shakeandbake said:
If he sucks, then he would be as bad as Morris and X is still in the same shoes as before.

but would we want morris in at qb if things start to go downhill since he's been handling the team for the whole year? or do we trust in hurley, a rather inexperienced qb in terms of game time this year, to handle things when they get rough? i think that's where the debate stems from.

i say start hurley, but if he shows signs of immaturity, put in morris. i don't think it's too big of a deal this week, but assuming we get past GE (*waits for people to complain about overseeing GE*), we'll have to start talking about this again come colerain/sycamore

I guess the one thing that I am just really annoyed about is the timing. Am I the only one that ois somewhat outraged that Specht didn't make a QB change earlier if it was to be done? All of you that are talking about how great Hurley is and saying that there is no question that he should start....can you at least admit that Specht made a monumental mistake by waiting this long to make a change at the QB position when the problem has been there all season? Specht's a great coach, but I really think he let this problem get out of hand. And PLEASE....don't try to tell me that it isn't Specht's decision and that it's the O-Coordinator's....b/c that's a crock.

It's got to suck to be a QB leading your team to an 8-1 season and then getting snubbed in the playoffs. Imagine if X wins a state championship under Hurley...Morris will probably be wondering the rest of his life if the result would have been the same with him under center.

This is no easy situation Specht is in....and I hope the right decision is made...whatever that may be...

Last edited:
B0MBER said:
I guess the one thing that I am just really annoyed about is the timing. Am I the only one that ois somewhat outraged that Specht didn't make a QB change earlier if it was to be done? All of you that are talking about how great Hurley is and saying that there is no question that he should start....can you at least admit that Specht made a monumental mistake by waiting this long to make a change at the QB position when the problem has been there all season? Specht's a great coach, but I really think he let this problem get out of hand. And PLEASE....don't try to tell me that it isn't Specht's decision and that it's the O-Coordinator's....b/c that's a crock.

It's got to suck to be a QB leading your team to a 9-1 season and then getting snubbed in the playoffs. Imagine if X wins a state championship under Hurley...Morris will probably be wondering the rest of his life if the result would have been the same with him under center.

This is no easy situation Specht is in....and I hope the right decision is made...whatever that may be...

I agree with all of that. Its frustrating that this didn't get sorted out earlier.

This is his third year as coach, and I can honestly say that his decision to start Morris over Hurley at the beginning of the season is the only time I have ever been skeptical of one of Coach Specht's decisions. I wish it would have been sorted out much earlier than now. I wish Hurley would have been given a chance. Why not bring him in during some of the early games, just to see what he could do? IDK, i thoughkt the QB situation was gonna be the biggest question mark this season. If I were coaching, Hurley would have been starting from day 1. But who am I??? I don't get paid to coach football at one of the premier institutions in the nation. Coach Specht is a genius. I'm sure he'll figure out what's best for the team, and I have the utmost confidence that he is capable of taking us back to state this season. Whatever decision he makes I'll respect. But I must admit, I'm pulling for Hurley to get the nod...

Maybe Hurley didn't start this year becauseof what we don't see during the games. Perhaps he didn't practice well or didn't show what they wanted to see in the scrimmages and Ryan did. Rumpke was moved over to offense as another option but was moved back early to defense for a couple games. When Ryan got hurt during St.Ed's Hurley was the back-up but never put in. Sooooo, maybe he has finally put it all together at practice. Effort, performance, attitude might be all in the right place and therefore he is ready. No doubt he has more pure talent at qb than Morris, and Rumpke had no experience whatsoever at qb before the season, so maybe now it has all come together for Jon. Maybe the move couldn't have been done before now because it wasn't time. Just my opinion.

D-Swizzel102 said:
This is his third year as coach, and I can honestly say that his decision to start Morris over Hurley at the beginning of the season is the only time I have ever been skeptical of one of Coach Specht's decisions. I wish it would have been sorted out much earlier than now. I wish Hurley would have been given a chance. Why not bring him in during some of the early games, just to see what he could do? IDK, i thoughkt the QB situation was gonna be the biggest question mark this season. If I were coaching, Hurley would have been starting from day 1. But who am I??? I don't get paid to coach football at one of the premier institutions in the nation. Coach Specht is a genius. I'm sure he'll figure out what's best for the team, and I have the utmost confidence that he is capable of taking us back to state this season. Whatever decision he makes I'll respect. But I must admit, I'm pulling for Hurley to get the nod...

Actually this is the 2nd time I have been skeptical of a Coach Specht descision. Ironically it also involved the QB position. Robbie never played well as a QB at X. In 3 years as either the backup or starter he never performed well. I think both Randolph and Scherer were better then Robbie, but Specht probably felt obligated to play the "blue chip" QB. I think Robbie under center definately stopped us from at least getting to meet up with Colerain in 04.

Simply X said:
Actually this is the 2nd time I have been skeptical of a Coach Specht descision. Ironically it also involved the QB position. Robbie never played well as a QB at X. In 3 years as either the backup or starter he never performed well. I think both Randolph and Scherer were better then Robbie, but Specht probably felt obligated to play the "blue chip" QB. I think Robbie under center definately stopped us from at least getting to meet up with Colerain in 04.

randolph and scherer were not better than schoenhoft. imo i think robbie was too good for the rest of the team. He was playing at a college level in high school and the rest of the team had trouble keeping up. One the other hand randolph and scherer were playing right along with the rest of the team. So as far as randolph and scherer being better... no way, but i do think they fit the team better than robbie did.

Xbomber4LIFE said:
randolph and scherer were not better than schoenhoft. imo i think robbie was too good for the rest of the team. He was playing at a college level in high school and the rest of the team had trouble keeping up. One the other hand randolph and scherer were playing right along with the rest of the team. So as far as randolph and scherer being better... no way, but i do think they fit the team better than robbie did.

You must have seen a different QB then I did. No doubt about it, X did not have great receivers during the Robbie years (or Brad's lone year), but Robbie's passes were not on the mark. A lot of high balls. A lot of balls thrown without good touch. He had a cannon, but mentally the kid just did not have it in high school.

Xbomber4LIFE said:
randolph and scherer were not better than schoenhoft. imo i think robbie was too good for the rest of the team.

I like Robbie and think he's a great guy but this last statement is the farthest thing from the truth. Robbie was too good for a team that finished 9-1 during the regular season? I don't buy it. I guess under your criteria, the only team good enough for Robbie is Ohio State . . .

But unfortunately, Robbie may not see a single down as the starting quarterback for Ohio State and that won't be because he's too good for the rest of the team . . .

He just wasn't a very good quarterback at St. X. No two ways around it. Sure, he may turn out to be a great QB at Ohio State but there is little doubt that he wasn't a very good quarterback at St. X . . . and to say that his inefficiency was because of his surrounding team is an insult to a group of kids who carried the team to a 9-1 record with subpar play from the most important position on the team.

Scoop10 said:
Maybe Hurley didn't start this year becauseof what we don't see during the games. Perhaps he didn't practice well or didn't show what they wanted to see in the scrimmages and Ryan did. Rumpke was moved over to offense as another option but was moved back early to defense for a couple games. When Ryan got hurt during St.Ed's Hurley was the back-up but never put in. Sooooo, maybe he has finally put it all together at practice. Effort, performance, attitude might be all in the right place and therefore he is ready. No doubt he has more pure talent at qb than Morris, and Rumpke had no experience whatsoever at qb before the season, so maybe now it has all come together for Jon. Maybe the move couldn't have been done before now because it wasn't time. Just my opinion.

Very true. I know that a few people on this site play on the football team, but a majority of us don't. However, I still think that last weekend's performance boosted Hurley's credibility as a starting QB more so than anything he could have done in practice.

Let's Go X said:
Very true. I know that a few people on this site play on the football team, but a majority of us don't. However, I still think that last weekend's performance boosted Hurley's credibility as a starting QB more so than anything he could have done in practice.
I think he finally got his chance last week because he was proving himself in practice and the other qbs had already gotten their chance. Just saying that maybe everything came together for him during the season and maybe not at the beginning, that's all. I think he should get a chance to start and see how it goes!

st X ts said:
I like Robbie and think he's a great guy but this last statement is the farthest thing from the truth. Robbie was too good for a team that finished 9-1 during the regular season? I don't buy it. I guess under your criteria, the only team good enough for Robbie is Ohio State . . .

But unfortunately, Robbie may not see a single down as the starting quarterback for Ohio State and that won't be because he's too good for the rest of the team . . .

He just wasn't a very good quarterback at St. X. No two ways around it. Sure, he may turn out to be a great QB at Ohio State but there is little doubt that he wasn't a very good quarterback at St. X . . . and to say that his inefficiency was because of his surrounding team is an insult to a group of kids who carried the team to a 9-1 record with subpar play from the most important position on the team.
I think that Robby was trying to figure out what to do with his strong arm thru high school. He also did not have the benefit of having a defense like last year to give the team great field position nor did he have Darius and Cionni together as running backs. He did help lead a comeback in the LaSalle, Elder and Moeller regular season games when the team was down ( I think that's right). Plus when did the QB position become the most important? I think this StX team would tell you differently. Winning at the high school level at QB can be very different than what wins at the college level and then again at the Pro level. An option style qb can be very, very effective for winning in hs but not college. Alot of those athletes switch positions for college.

Bomber considering you dont know what your talking about, im pretty sure Specht has faith in his O coordinator. Yes he is the head coach, no one doubts that. There's one good call you've made, but part of Specht working is his trust and faith in his coaches. Yeah he's got the overrule over anyone cause he IS the head coach. Of course people are going to be like yeah that should have been better play calling and they're going to argue coach Specht's and coach Heisman's decision but there's no way you can pin a loss in the playoffs as, "all on coach specht." Making it sound like he hasnt bruoght us together or even won a state championship.

Also BOMBER, you must be a close friend to Morris worrying about his feelings rather then what the team needs. No doubt about i love Morris. He's a great guy. My reasons for that is after he was taken out of the LW game and Jon made a few good decisions, he went up to Jon and congradulated him and told him good job.

Very FEW people know what goes on if you arent on the team.

StxFootball said:
Bomber considering you dont know what your talking about, im pretty sure Specht has faith in his O coordinator. Yes he is the head coach, no one doubts that. There's one good call you've made, but part of Specht working is his trust and faith in his coaches. Yeah he's got the overrule over anyone cause he IS the head coach. Of course people are going to be like yeah that should have been better play calling and they're going to argue coach Specht's and coach Heisman's decision but there's no way you can pin a loss in the playoffs as, "all on coach specht." Making it sound like he hasnt bruoght us together or even won a state championship.

Yeah.....you're right, I don't know what I'm talking about. :rolleyes:

I understand that Specht has faith in his O coordinator, and I'm not saying that he shouldn't. It seems quite apparent that you are a player on the team....so perhaps you should put your personal feelings to the side and look at this situation through something other than the rose-colored glasses that are glued to your face.

I believe that I said the following: "If Hurley starts from here on out...and we lose b/c of it....it's all on Specht....no one will be blaming the O coordinator b/c the final decision is Specht's to make."

Read that again and think about exactly what I said.....

StxFootball said:
Also BOMBER, you must be a close friend to Morris worrying about his feelings rather then what the team needs.

Never met the kid in my life. I don't really see what this has to do with anything. No one said I don't care about what the team needs....it's my opinion that the team needed their head coach to make a decision regarding the QB position at some point before week 11. Unfortunately, we are stuck with what we have...a cloud of ambiguity before the regional semi-finals. Had Specht made this move after the LaSalle game, I wouldn't have the reservations that I have today.

Oh yeah.....and it is OK to be critical of Specht... He's a great coach...but it turns out he's human after all.

well then like you said if you dont know what your talking about then we shouldnt even be discussing it..yeah its ok to be critical of specht..he's human i understand that..i am and you are too but my point was..considering this is a team and everyone makes decisions and as you can tell since we have one of thee best coaching staffs in the nation, its not all going to be on coach specht. Of course in the papers its all him cause he's the "head coach" but some people dont understand how hard decisions can be and how many extra hours our coaches and staff put into making decisions just like this..even well after practice is over.

Why didnt Darius ever work on his passing skills after peewee or whenever he was a QB? Imagine if Darius was the QB and we had Luca or Berning as the runningback.

yea so any way....

Hurley has been looking pretty dern good in practice. Hes been making alot of reads and throws Morris hasnt made all season. In our 2-Minute drill today he looked a little shakey when the tempo was picked up, but id rather have him look shakey today (thursday) than saturday morning.

I havnt gotten to see Hurley play yet this year. I hear he's a better passer and more mobile than Moriss. How does he compare to Scherrer? The sense I get is that he's a better passer but not as mobile. Is that about right?

CCrunner87 said:
I havnt gotten to see Hurley play yet this year. I hear he's a better passer and more mobile than Moriss. How does he compare to Scherrer? The sense I get is that he's a better passer but not as mobile. Is that about right?

From his performance last Saturday, I would agree with that. Plus, we really won't know how mobile he is until Saturday and next week will be an even bigger indicator assuming we win against Glen Este.

Let's Go X said:
From his performance last Saturday, I would agree with that. Plus, we really won't know how mobile he is until Saturday and next week will be an even bigger indicator assuming we win against Glen Este.
Hurley is not as mobile as Scherrer, but then who is? He can be mobile enough to keep defenses honest and run out of the pocket well. His mobility under pressure is what we haven't seen yet, I don't think he will hold on to the ball too long and get sacked as often. I think he will be able to at least avoid the sack and throw the ball away if the pressure is too much. Hurley's biggest test will come when the other team has prepared for him...last week he was unknown and the defense from LW had a game plan for Morris at qb.

Scoop10 said:
Hurley's biggest test will come when the other team has prepared for him...last week he was unknown and the defense from LW had a game plan for Morris at qb.

I agree with that. I am really interested in seeing how he does tomorrow.

$T.x said:
I think it is about time you get slapped in the mouth...

While I know who should be starting out of the 3 QBs...I do not wan't to see any of the starters getting ripped on.

i think $T.x owes me an apology. either that or *I* slap *HIM* in the mouth

shakeandbake said:
Hurley is much better than Morris; He's decisive.

Morris could never make a decision which results in like 5 sacks a game.
If Morris would have played the same way as Hurley today w/ the same stats would you have been supportive of him or been saying that we need to change qbs? Every qb has looked good in some games and not so good other games. Just be fair in your criticism. How could anyone know how well Ryan would or wouldn't have done today? I thnk we should just be supportive of whoever is playing qb. GO BOMBERS!